PDA

View Full Version : So we have no real point guards?

spursbird
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM
After TP is hurt, we don't have a real point guard in our team. GH3 ,RMJ and Manu can do the job, but that won't be the solution. So do you think we would sign another veteran point guard like Jason Williams?

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-28-2010, 09:57 AM
GH3 will be just fine....

its the backup we should be worry about.....

I think MAson will be ok, it seems he can handle the ball better this year

Chomag
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
GHill did a pretty good job holding the Fort last early season when TP went down. Manu can play spots at point as well. I don't beleive it's a concern.

Now TP's missing point production is something where a spur is going to have to step up.

jb4g
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I feel more confortable with the ball in Manu's hands anyways, IMO hes the best passer on this team. And last night he seemed to be making a concerted effort to get to the rim instead of settling for jumpers, he keeps doing that and we will be ok

SpurNation
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
GHill did a pretty good job holding the Fort last early season when TP went down. Manu can play spots at point as well. I don't beleive it's a concern.

Now TP's missing point production is something where a spur is going to have to step up.

Look for more assists and better ball movement. RJ just might start producing more and defensively the team just might do better against other opponents than with Parker in the game.

But Parker's importance on this team cannot be overlooked. His "abilities" just can't be matched and will be missed.

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
It wouldn't shock me if the Spurs took a look at some sort of journeyman point for a 10-day deal.

Maybe they bring back Jacque Vaughn. :)

spursbird
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Kill me:bang

draft87
01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
After TP is hurt, we don't have a real point guard in our team. GH3 ,RMJ and Manu can do the job, but that won't be the solution. So do you think we would sign another veteran point guard like Jason Williams?

1) so what is the "solution" for playing without Tony Parker? We've toughed it out before. last season and this year.....

2) Jason Williams?

intothechaos
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I think manu and mason can find our bigs in a pick and roll better than TP.... So we should be alright...... I hope

SpurCharger
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Naw Jason Williams is A Exciting Player, But He cannot run A Offense or Or Play Within A system. He likes to Jack up crazy Shots, Im Against That one!

igruex
01-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Spurs will miss TP in many areas, yet, running the point is certainly not the one we're gonna miss the most.

The GH3-Manu combo usually replace TP's playmaking even with him on the court... I guess we're gonna have either Hill and/or Manu in the floor through the whole game.

Dex
01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
It wouldn't shock me if the Spurs took a look at some sort of journeyman point for a 10-day deal.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/27/128775446045204469.jpg

draft87
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Naw Jason Williams is A Exciting Player, But He cannot run A Offense or Or Play Within A system. He likes to Jack up crazy Shots, Im Against That one!

ugh, I give up trying to be polite. You guys are talking about Jason Williams- the point guard who doesn't really have knees anymore and already plays for the Orlando Magic, right?!?!?! As in, you didn't notice that he came back out of retirement or something to that effect, so we're going to spend time thinking about a player who isn't available to solve "the Tony Parker situation"
?
'cause you definitely aren't talking about Jay Williams.........

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Assuming that Parker is/was a real PG to begin with right?

OldSilentHill
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Assuming that Parker is/was a real PG to begin with right?

Sad but the indirect statement is true :wakeup

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Sad but the indirect statement is true :wakeup
Gillian Anderson???? wow, bro thats awesome. Finally and older gal thats kinda fine and intriguing. Unfortunately have you seen her lately? she's gross. And you also kinda agreed with my statement, be careful say one thing bad about Tony and yall have the TP spurstalk mob after you for life. Thats even if you say something good about him in the same post.

Danny.Zhu
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
but that won't be the solution.

Why?

LOL@MavsFan
01-28-2010, 11:27 AM
:toast:toast
Look for more assists and better ball movement. RJ just might start producing more and defensively the team just might do better against other opponents than with Parker in the game.

But Parker's importance on this team cannot be overlooked. His "abilities" just can't be matched and will be missed.

:toast Was thinking the same thing. RJ and TP dont work well together. I like GHill taking his minutes and producing like he did last night.

ffadicted
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Manu Ginobili is the spurs point guard...

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
He has been all season, wouldnt you say? I eqaute the word PG with the word facilitator(if that how you spell it).

alchemist
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Hill/Mason/Manu neither has played tremendous at the PG recently, but they will have to do. Parker please rest up and come back after the All-Star Weekend. No matter how difficult things will be on this road trip the Spurs have to suck it up and use the entire line-up if necessary to keep the minutes down.

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Hill/Mason/Manu neither has played tremendous at the PG recently.
Yeah, but Parker has been brilliant right?????? Good lord some of these Parker-homers, Makes me wanna be a Parker-hater. But I'll just keep giving credit when he does well and criticize him when he doesnt. Fairs fair I assume.

alchemist
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, but Parker has been brilliant right?????? Good lord some of these Parker-homers, Makes me wanna be a Parker-hater. But I'll just keep giving credit when he does well and criticize him when he doesnt. Fairs fair I assume.
The fuck are you talking about? Where in my piece did I say anything about Parker playing world class basketball? The fact is that Hill/Mason/Manu haven't played half as good as a banged up Parker at the PG position.

kace
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM

i guess they don't have too much to do to make you one.

I. Hustle
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0615/photo/g_claxton_il.jpg

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
i guess they don't have too much to do to make you one.
Well the only thing holding me back is what happens next few weeks. If the Spurs go on some kinda roll while he is out and start playing D and junk. That would pretty much seal the deal. But obviously Im so lopsided that I think Parker is the worst basketball player in the world right? and your so on Q.

ohmwrecker
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM

I said this on another thread . . . If Tony is going to be out for a while, then Manu should start. He doesn't really play the pg position, but he is a great passer and the best equipped player to run the offense. The rotation will have to tighten up and the bench won't be as dynamic, but this team can ill afford a bad start and is not good at coming back from behind this year.
That said, I think T.J. Ford can be pried from the Pacers for some expiring contracts.
Having a solid back-up pg would allow Hill to play more sg, which I really like.

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I said this on another thread . . . If Tony is going to be out for a while, then Manu should start. He doesn't really play the pg position, but he is a great passer and the best equipped player to run the offense. The rotation will have to tighten up and the bench won't be as dynamic, but this team can ill afford a bad start and is not good at coming back form behind this year.
That said, I think T.J. Ford can be pried from the Pacers for some expiring contracts.
Having a solid back-up pg would allow Hill to play more sg, which I really like.
I doubt Pop would do it, TJ Ford has an attitude problem. He is kinda similar to TP in his court-vision/scoring balance. Also remember folks he got traded so Jose Calderon ( A guy yall here in spurstalk arent to fond of) could run the team. Jose is better PG and definitely could be pried from the Raptors since him and Turkoglu are having the same problems as Parker and RJ. Turkoglu wants to run the point, and Parker wants to score. Calderon is a good facilitator, while RJ is not a spot-up shooter but a guy who likes his touches in certain areas and on the move/transition. The only way I would try to get another PG is if Parker were traded.

ohmwrecker
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I doubt Pop would do it, TJ Ford has an attitude problem. He is kinda similar to TP in his court-vision/scoring balance. Also remember folks he got traded so Jose Calderon . . . The only way I would try to get another PG is if Parker were traded.

I live in Austin and I've seen T.J. play quite a bit. He doesn't have an attitude problem. He helped put Texas on the map as an elite basketball program. The kid is a winner. He hasn't been the same since the neck injury and I don't think he has the skills to run a team as a starter anymore, but he would be a more than adequate back-up.
Jose Calderon is a very poor man's Manu Ginobili and if we where going to get a Manu clone, I'll take Rudy Fernandez.

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
I live in Austin and I've seen T.J. play quite a bit. He doesn't have an attitude problem. He helped put Texas on the map as an elite basketball program. The kid is a winner. He hasn't been the same since the neck injury and I don't think he has the skills to run a team as a starter anymore, but he would be a more than adequate back-up.
Jose Calderon is a very poor man's Manu Ginobili and if we where going to get a Manu clone, I'll take Rudy Fernandez.
Calderon is no where near Manu's talent level. Calderon is a poormans Mark Price, which isnt a bad thing if yall know who mark price was. Manu is a gamer and exerts alot of energy and affects the game on many levels. Calderon is PG who simply runs the offense and doesnt stop ball movement. Calderon hits players in there spots and recognizes mismatches and he has a solid shot, from the perimeter including the 3. His defense is not much to be desired but neither is TP's. Calderon racks up alot of assist, but he does it the easy way and with not much effort. He simply utilizes the pieces around him and makes the correct play whether he gets an assist or not, which is why his assist/turnover ratio has been the best of all the PG's (nash/d-will/cp3 and TP) for the last 2 seasons.

JR3
01-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I think manu is the closest we have to a point gaurd. Just because parker is the shortest guy on the court doesn't make him a pg. I think we will be just fine without him while he gets better.

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I think manu is the closest we have to a point gaurd. Just because parker is the shortest guy on the court doesn't make him a pg. I think we will be just fine without him while he gets better.
I think we'll be fine with him on another team!!!!! Provided we have a solid PG to replace him.

MB3//
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
What about Antonio Daniels? Isn't he just hanging out here in town anyways? I don't see a problem in signing him to a 10 day while TP is out and seeing what he has left in the tank.

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
What about Antonio Daniels? Isn't he just hanging out here in town anyways? I don't see a problem in signing him to a 10 day while TP is out and seeing what he has left in the tank.
I thought he signed with somebody, and he had his run in san antonio. Due to the reasons he was traded I doubt he'll ever be back.

ohmwrecker
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM

George Hill reminds me of a younger, more talented Antonio Daniels with more potential so, I don't see the point of that. Also, we don't have an open roster spot.

duhoh
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
lol Jason Williams, Jacque Vaughn, and Antonio Daniels!

aww man, too funny!

We'll be fine. Manu and Mase can make up for backing up Hill.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Let's see what the diagnosis is on TP's injury first..if he's only out for a few games, we can stick with what we have..as long as Manu isn't making too many stupid passes, we'll be fine..

bigdog
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
You guys realize Jason Williams plays for Orlando, right? They can't sign him.

in2deep
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Tony is not even a real PG

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Tony isn't a "pass-first" PG..he's clearly a "real" PG..

in2deep
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM

not gonna happen. SPurs have Hill, Manu and Mason. that's plenty

hsxvvd
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
You guys realize Jason Williams plays for Orlando, right? They can't sign him.

Jay Williams? former Dukie now with ESPN. He was good before he had his accident... and Jayson Williams is in Jail. :lol

portnoy1
01-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Tony isn't a "pass-first" PG..he's clearly a "real" PG..
So is GHill a PG?

Brazil
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
So is GHill a PG?

hill is a shooting guard with playmaking abilities.

TP is a pg scorer who averages 6 assists per game.

is DRose a PG ?

Flux451
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
we have three back ups. Manu, HIll, Mason

Blair can dribble around his back too

Brazil
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Blair can dribble around his back too

:lol you forgot to mention Matt Bonner cross over abilities

Flux451
01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
:lol you forgot to mention Matt Bonner cross over abilities

Matt's eyes never leave the ball. Reminds me of this this old guy with kareem glasses that used to play at the gym. I would hate playing on his team. Once he got the ball he never looked up.

Since we are being sarcastic. You can always count on Lord of the Rings tree hands Ratliff to attempt the impossible feat of dribbling.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2010, 06:37 PM

In our system, you don't really need a true PG that much - in a lot of sets he's just a number who has to move through his route. I think we'll be fine with George and Manu running the position, and Mason in spots.

As for signing Jason Williams, if he wasn't a Magic player that would be a fine idea! :lol (Who is out there at the moment in terms of vet PGs not named Jacque Vaughn?)

dbestpro
01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Antonio Daniels on a 10 day contract with a roster spot open is the simple solution. The more advanced would be part of the Stoudamire trade. We could see the following

Phx gets Miller, Bonner, Miahinmi
Chicago gets Stoudamire, Mason, Finley
Spurs get Salmons, Thomas and Pargo.

Spurs have shown interest in all 3 of these players in the past. Salmons height on the perimeter could help the D, Thomas helps Pop from playing small ball and Pargo is the safety net at point.