PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys trade Hunter to Jets; acquire Mickens

SpursFanInAustin
04-28-2005, 10:10 AM
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/042805cpcowtrade.54598f94.html

Agent: Cowboys close to trading Hunter

09:26 AM CDT on Thursday, April 28, 2005

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com and JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys are close to completing a trade that would send cornerback Pete Hunter to the New York Jets in return for 32-year-old cornerback Ray Mickens, according to Hunter's agent, Ray Savage.

Mickens would join former Texas A&M and Jets teammate Aaron Glenn, who was signed Wednesday, to add depth to a secondary that was devastated by injury last season.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones could not be reached for comment.

In nine seasons with the Jets, Mickens (5-8, 180) has had 11 interceptions while playing mostly as the third cornerback in passing situations. He was a third-round pick by the Jets in 1996 and, like Glenn, played for Cowboys coach Bill Parcells from 1997 to '99.

Mickens tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee last August and spent the 2004 season on injured reserve. He'll be competing for a roster spot with second-year cornerbacks Jacques Reeves, Nate Jones, Lance Frazier and Bruce Thornton.

Hunter, a fifth-round pick in 2002, started the first three games last season, but a knee injury against the Redskins landed him on injured reserve. He has three interceptions in three seasons with the Cowboys.

Hunter, who declined comment, has been asking for a trade since the Cowboys signed free-agent cornerback Anthony Henry last month. Hunter balked when the club approached him about moving to safety.

E-mail [email protected]

SWC Bonfire
04-28-2005, 10:27 AM
If the cowboys could get Greg Hill and Bucky Richardson, they'd at least win the Southwest Conference next year. Next announcement: Parcell's new defensive coordinator...RC Slocum. At least it's legal to pay the players in the NFL.

samikeyp
04-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Think Rod Bernstine is ready for a comeback? :lol

msufan420
04-28-2005, 12:54 PM
How do you Cowboy fan's like the fact that Parcells dumps all your young guys for over the hill geezers that used to play for him? Seems pretty laughable to me.....he wants to win now, but I'm sorry...they might've made some decent draft picks....however they still won't win a Super Bowl this year...maybe not even make the playoffs and soon your roster will be filled with decrepid vets...then Parcells leaves!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good luck with that!

samikeyp
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
While its not MY roster because I am only a fan and not some delusional twit who thinks I am actually part of the team...it was more of a deal to get rid of Hunter. The salaries with him and Glenn are minimal costwise and lengthwise so it gives the younger guys a chance to develop while still having a veteran presence.

Ballcox
04-28-2005, 01:44 PM
How do you Cowboy fan's like the fact that Parcells dumps all your young guys for over the hill geezers that used to play for him? Seems pretty laughable to me.....he wants to win now, but I'm sorry...they might've made some decent draft picks....however they still won't win a Super Bowl this year...maybe not even make the playoffs and soon your roster will be filled with decrepid vets...then Parcells leaves!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good luck with that!

Check the trophy cabinet dumbass, five super bowl wins and more playoff wins that ANY other NFL team. Yes, we've had some down years lately, but in no way is this team just comprised of over the hill players. In the secondary you've got two young starting CB's in Newman and Henry, a young FS in R. Williams and then still more young/developing CB's in Reeves, Thornton and Frazier, that's a pretty young nucleus in the secondary. We've also got young guys with good potential at LB and the D line. So, no, I don't see this team as being comprised of nothing but over the hill vets. I also think A. Glenn is going to make a big time contribution to the defense this next season. You are now free to go back to sticking your finger up your ass.

respect the 'fro :fro

jcrod
04-28-2005, 02:51 PM

What young guys for old vets????????????????? The Cowboys are one of the youngest teams. RB-Jones, D-Line Spears, Canty, Ellis, LB's James, Ngyen, draft choice?, DB's Roy, Newman, Henry. O-line is getting up there (but still have some young prospects in Gourde, Petterman and Jacobs), not to mention the starting Center in Johnson. Wide reciever is also getting a little old. Drew H. will replace Drew B. in a couple of yrs.

Learn your shit before you post. BTW who's your team?

King
04-28-2005, 04:03 PM
This trade hasn't gone through, nor is it going through.

Jets: Hunter trade won't happen

01:23 PM CDT on Thursday, April 28, 2005

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

A trade that would send Cowboys cornerback Pete Hunter to the New York Jets in return for veteran cornerback Ray Mickens will not happen, according to Jets general manager Terry Bradway.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones could not immediately be reached for comment.

Hunter's agent, Ray Savage, told The Dallas Morning News on Wednesday that the teams were close to completing a trade.

"This trade has never been discussed," Bradway said through a team spokesman.

The Cowboys signed 32-year-old cornerback Aaron Glenn on Wednesday. Glenn and Mickens had played under Cowboys coach Bill Parcells with the Jets from 1997-99.

samikeyp
04-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Well...ends all that then!

msufan420
04-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Check the trophy cabinet dumbass, five super bowl wins and more playoff wins that ANY other NFL team. Yes, we've had some down years lately, but in no way is this team just comprised of over the hill players. In the secondary you've got two young starting CB's in Newman and Henry, a young FS in R. Williams and then still more young/developing CB's in Reeves, Thornton and Frazier, that's a pretty young nucleus in the secondary. We've also got young guys with good potential at LB and the D line. So, no, I don't see this team as being comprised of nothing but over the hill vets. I also think A. Glenn is going to make a big time contribution to the defense this next season. You are now free to go back to sticking your finger up your ass.

C'mon Cowboy fans....get over it!!!! Stop living in the past with your Superbowl and Playoff wins....nobody outside of you cares....Do you see me talking about how many Super Bowl wins the 9'ers have? No...cuz it doesn't pertain to the topic...so drop that dumb shit.....And no...you don't have a bunch of old guys that are Parcell's "boys"...Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Bledsoe, Ferguson, Richie Anderson, and A. Glenn....Not to mention everybody's favorite "The Boy Lover"...I mean Leroi Glover isn't getting any younger....and don't tell me that Reeves, Thornton, or Frazier are as any promising as the jokers who play CB for my team, The Lions.....Maybe...and just maybe...Newman might be decent, but as of now....he is not worthy of the #5 overall pick.

Ballcox
04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Hey idiot, it's called being one of the premier teams in the history of the NFL, just because your Lions haven't even sniffed a playoff win in about ten years, don't go gettin' all shitty about the Cowboys. I can tell ya one thing, we'll be back on top, or at least in the playoff mix long before your pathetic Lions accomplish squat. Your team is a joke and so are you, good bye.

msufan420
04-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Once again...stop living in the past....The Cowboys have done jack shit since Barry Switzer....and in no way with your aging o-line, receivers, and QB are they gonna be better than the Lions soon....Hell Coach Man-Boobs (who was supposed to be your savior) won't even be around for long....and what happens then...oh yeah....right...Drew Henson. Are you freakin' kidding me...I'm from Michigan, and I've seen this guy play in person....he IS not the answer....don't you think there is a reason that Parcells used Vinny Testinuts and signed the cigar store indain statue of a QB in Bledsoe?!?!?! Those past Super Bowls in the pre-salary cap area have warped your fragile little minds.

And now you say bye-bye crying into your pillow....sorry that you can't bear the truth, which is that the Cowboys will be no better than my lowly Lions....in fact, I'd take my chances with the Lions roster over the 'Boys...want one of our receivers?

Mr Dio
04-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Stop living in the past with your Superbowl and Playoff wins

HA!!!! That is TOO FUNNY! A lions fan speaking of Super Bowls & Playoff wins. I guess a Dallas fan couls say stop dreaming about the future & the LONG WAY OFF IN THE FUTURE Super Bowl you'll have. The ONLY SB trophy Detroit will have is the one they are keeping while the it hosts the SB game. Then the winning team will take the trophy away from that grungy piece of ass city & you won't see one, ever again.

msufan420
04-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Once again...as you freaking morons seem to miss the point, what the fuck does Super Bowl wins 10 plus years ago have to do with RIGHT NOW!!!! It sure is funny how every time I try to have a football argument with Cowboy fans, the only thing that drops outta their mouths like shit is "blah, blah, blah....Super Bowls....blah, blah, blah"....1996 goombahs...come up with something new...something that pertains to the fact that the Cowboys have been picking at the top of the draft for the last few years.

And say all you want about my Lions....as I know they've been crap...you're not gonna get under my skin like that...but I do know that they have a more promising as well as younger roster than the Cowboys....I'd be looking for them to do some damage this year kiddies.

Mr Dio
04-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Was it the Everly Bros. that sang "Dream?"

Dream dream dream, Dream...

msufan420
04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
i think you could probably sing that for you and all the other Cowboy fans as well....or maybe you prefer "Dream On" by Aerosmith.

samikeyp
04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Why the ignorant blanket statements? Only one person in this thread said anything about that and it was one line. The rest of us here are talking about this current team. It would be uncool for me to go to a Lions site and say "All Lions fans are dumbasses" when in actuality, I don't even know how many Lions fans there are, much less how many of them are or are not dumbasses. It would be ignorant of me to say otherwise. In the few times you and I have talked football, not once have I mentioned Super Bowls.When you say "with Cowboy fans" you are implying all Cowboy fans and since I am a Cowboys fans, and I have never said that, you are lying. You seem to know your stuff and to your credit, you have said you are Lions fan many times but dropping insults is a sign of a troll not an intelligent fan.

msufan420
04-29-2005, 02:43 AM
alright...fine then...you win, is that what you want...i use "Cowboy fan" as that is generally 80-90% of arguments I hear from "them"....now, with all that "other stuff" aside, I propose a situation for you:

When the Detroit Lions come to town, the entire Cowboy team gets held up and can't make it to the game. Bill Parcells and his man-boobs must play the Detroit Lions himself....Parcells and is man-boobs vs. the Detroit Lions...Who ya got? :fro

Mr Dio
04-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Mikey, you can't talk sense to a dumbass who doesn't recognize that a WR doesn't play Defense so teams will still score on your weak ass all season. At least the Chargers had Dan Fouts when they had a great Offense. The Lions have Joey(WOW!) H & Jeff (SF & Cle reject) Garcia.

Mr Dio
04-29-2005, 08:49 AM
but the lions still suck

Amen

msufan420
04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Mikey, you can't talk sense to a dumbass who doesn't recognize that a WR doesn't play Defense so teams will still score on your weak ass all season. At least the Chargers had Dan Fouts when they had a great Offense. The Lions have Joey(WOW!) H & Jeff (SF & Cle reject) Garcia.

No....but I do recognize the fact that offense can indirectly help your defense. Last year the Lions led the league in dropped passes by receivers. This was in part to the fact that they had to rely on Az Hakim, Tai Streets, and Reggie Swinton due to injuries to Roy and Rogers. I can't tell you how many times I saw the Lions go 3 and out, only to let their defense on the field again. A defense will not win you a game, if they are on the field 3/4's of the game. In fact only 3 times last year did the Lions lose by more than 2 scores. Not unlike the Dallas Cowboy's defense who surrendered the most points in the league last year......what else you got?

msufan420
04-29-2005, 11:06 AM
but the lions still suck.

ohhh....yes, and the Cowboys are going to Super Bowl this year :lol

jcrod
04-29-2005, 11:16 AM
C'mon Cowboy fans....get over it!!!! Stop living in the past with your Superbowl and Playoff wins....nobody outside of you cares....Do you see me talking about how many Super Bowl wins the 9'ers have? No...cuz it doesn't pertain to the topic...so drop that dumb shit.....And no...you don't have a bunch of old guys that are Parcell's "boys"...Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Bledsoe, Ferguson, Richie Anderson, and A. Glenn....Not to mention everybody's favorite "The Boy Lover"...I mean Leroi Glover isn't getting any younger....and don't tell me that Reeves, Thornton, or Frazier are as any promising as the jokers who play CB for my team, The Lions.....Maybe...and just maybe...Newman might be decent, but as of now....he is not worthy of the #5 overall pick.

Read my above post if you want something rather than Superbowl scoreboard.

Key, T. Glenn, Bledsoe, Ferguson, A. Glenn. What's that 5 out of 22 on defense and offense. Really old team huh!!!! Bledsoe will be replaced by Henson in a couple of yrs. I'll admit the WR core is getting old. Ferguson and Glover are up there, but they just drafted Spreas,Canty and Ware. A. Glen will be the nickel back, Henry 26, and Newman 27 will be the starting backs. TELL me were all the old guys????

N.Y. Johnny
04-29-2005, 11:41 AM
the lions will Never make it to the super bowl, much less without a defense.

if barry sanders, arguably the most gifted/best runningback in nfl history couldn't carry a team with no d, then there's no way 2 WRs can. even if one of them is a badass named roy williams.

and i'm a houston texans fan.

which, incidentally, shares one thing in common with the lions...never having been in a super bowl, ever

Houston Texans will make it once they get rid of Capers

msufan420
04-29-2005, 11:46 AM
actually elpimpo...the Lions have won a Super Bowl...although it was back in the 50's with HOF'er Bobby Lane....

But again...none of that matters as it does not pertain to what is happening NOW! Funny how there is only a handful of people that can actually argue hear without talking about what has happened in the past....LIVE IN THE NOW PEOPLE!

samikeyp
04-29-2005, 12:23 PM
actually the Lions have never won a Super Bowl since the first SB was played in 1967. They did win NFL championships though in 1952, 1953 and 1957 led by Texans Bobby Layne and Doak Walker. Despite msufan's sole purpose of coming here to troll and insult people...I agree with his point about living in the now....Dallas and Detroit are far from the Super Bowl at this point and both will not have an easy road back to the playoffs. Dallas has been more recently but their D fell apart last year. They get that back they will be in the hunt....Detroit will be able to hang 35 on people provided they are healthy but will they be able to stop anyone? That is why the Mike Williams pick baffled me. They could have chose Ware, Merriman or Johnson and it would have helped them a lot more.

msufan420
04-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Super Bowl...NFL Championship...potato/potahto...you know what I meant.

On to the Mike Willilams pick...the Lions this year had the luxury (if you want to call it that) to go several different ways with their pick....basically they had young/entrenched starters at skill positions, they were looking for depth. Merriman or Ware would only be useful in a 3-4 scheme, which the Lions do not employ....Derrick Johnson, I agree would've have helped to bolster a LB corps that includes up and coming players in Bailey and Lehman...also would've added insurance in case Bailey falls to injury again....All that said, reports say that both Millen and Mooch were not sold on Johnson as a #10 pick...any UT fan knows that he is an inconsistant tackler and is piss poor at shedding blockers at the line. There might be some reason why he fell all the way to the Cheifs at 15, when most thought he was a top 10.

And if you think me coming here and bashing the Cowboys is bad....wait till the Spurs and Pistons meet in the Finals. :fro

samikeyp
04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Super Bowl...NFL Championship...potato/potahto...you know what I meant.

I don't know you nor did not hear you say those words so no one could know exactly what you meant. Those are two different games.

not being a Cowboy fan is fine if that is your choice...I have a problem with you bashing Cowboys fans for the sole reason that they are Cowboys fans. I also have a problem with you accusing all Cowboys fans of being of the same mindset which is not the case. A Cowboy fan gives you crap and you want to retaliate go ahead but to lump ALL of a fan base due to the actions of one or two is ignorant.

And if you think me coming here and bashing the Cowboys is bad....wait till the Spurs and Pistons meet in the Finals

Why not just talk football instead of dropping insults?

msufan420
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
No I didn't say those words...however...you seem to know exactly what I was talking about as you fired right back to correct me.

msufan420
04-29-2005, 01:20 PM
BTW kiddies....in the future please direct all posts to my new thread....I think you know which one.

samikeyp
04-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Actually...you did
actually elpimpo...the Lions have won a Super Bowl...although it was back in the 50's with HOF'er Bobby Lane....

I was backing up your post about Detroit winning a title in the 50's with Bobby Layne.

msufan420
04-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Actually...you did

I was backing up your post about Detroit winning a title in the 50's with Bobby Layne.

I meant NFL Championship....whatever...misunderstanding.....aw ay to my new thread....I'm done with this now

samikeyp
04-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Fair enough.

Mr Dio
04-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Last year the Lions led the league in dropped passes by receivers. This was in part to the fact that they had to rely on Az Hakim, Tai Streets, and Reggie Swinton due to injuries to Roy and Rogers. I can't tell you how many times I saw the Lions go 3 and out, only to let their defense on the field again. A defense will not win you a game, if they are on the field 3/4's of the game.

This bitch is so full of excuses. Adress the issue of your team winning in 1950 something. Boy, talk about reliving the past.

Mr Dio
04-29-2005, 08:10 PM
wait till the Spurs and Pistons meet in the Finals.

It'll be close, but the team from Texas will BEAT the team from Mi just like in the Rose Bowl. OUCH!, That has gotta HURT!. No mention of that eh skippy?

msufan420
04-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I didn't mention the Rose Bowl...cuz I was rooting for Texas. If you look at my username is says MSUFAN!!!! NOT UM FAN!!! MORON!

Mr Dio
04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
I didn't mention the Rose Bowl

Exactly dipshit, I mentioned the Rose Bowl.
Wolverines STILL the best football team in MI, Pro or College.