PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner

in2deep
01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
buried in last night's big win is Bonner's pathetic performance. He missed 4 wide, WIDE open 3 pt shots. That's 12 points right there.

Clearly that injury and hand brace is bugging him, but a Bonner without a shot does NOT deserve floor time. At what point does Pop at least shut him down until he takes that hand brace off? should Pop give Ian Bonner's minutes??? What is the status of his injury? SHould Spurs trade him before his value drops even more?

elbamba
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
He has not hit a three since returning. His defense is awful and he was attacked upon entering the game. His clanks were a major contributor of getting the Hawks back into the game.

Blair only played 16 minutes. It is a major mistake to play Bonner over Blair. Especially when he cannot hit a three.

Fabbs
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/bonpop.jpg

TJastal
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't object to seeing more Ian. IMO Ian could easily become a solid contributor by the end of the year if he gets minutes.

Bonner's head just didn't seem screwed on right last night. I've never seen a guy almost singlehandedly shoot away a 20 pt lead in such a short time.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I say send him to Orlando for Brandon Bass. Van Gundy's whole system is based on 3 pt shooters spacing the floor for Howard. He'd fit right in.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Bonner was injured 4-5 weeks and is still getting accustomed to his glove. Give it time.

rayray2k8
01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
thank god pop yanked him at the end... spurs would have lost for sure if he would have continued to stay on the floor.

Fabbs
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
thank god pop yanked him at the end... spurs would have lost for sure if he would have continued to stay on the floor.
But Ian can't get any time and Bonner almost got and surely in PopWorld will in short order be getting more minutes then Blair. :rollin
:depressed

Mad Bonner
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
You frickin' bastards! I broken my fuggin' hand you bastards. I should go and stomp on your hands with my size 17 New Balances you assholes!

I. Hustle
01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
We you rather have his 7'1" 245 pound brother Luke?

rayray2k8
01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
You frickin' bastards! I broken my fuggin' hand you bastards. I should go and stomp on your hands with my size 17 New Balances you assholes!

Then you shouldn't be playing at all.

bless1187
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
This was the only negative of last night's game other than Tony Parker getting injured, was that M. Bonner was seeing time over D. Blair. A. McDyess and D. Blair should both be getting over 25 mpg while M. Bonner should just be playing in only certain situation.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Bonner was injured 4-5 weeks and is still getting accustomed to his glove. Give it time.

So your saying his glove caused him to keep shooting 3's early in the shot clock when it was clear his shot was way off?

Bonner's head wasn't screwed on right, and that has not a thing to do with his glove. And its a bit on Popovich for drilling it into his head he has to shoot the ball when he's open or sit on the bench.

Funny how your willing to cut a guy like Bonner who's been with the team a number of years and is young a ton of slack but you become a spastic little creep when it comes to McDyess. :rolleyes

siraulo23
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
i dont mind bonner playing, as long as pop avoids small ball

I. Hustle
01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
So is that a no in going after his brother? A real 7 footer? You can't teach height.

lol

Dice
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I like Bonner off the bench in short stints. Just getting back into the system. But I'm not opposed to a big man that plays some interior D getting his minutes.

Brazil
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM

:lmao oh man this is funny

I. Hustle
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
http://theredrocket.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bonnerboys.png

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Funny how your willing to cut a guy like Bonner who's been with the team a number of years and is young a ton of slack but you become a spastic little creep when it comes to McDyess. :rolleyes

A spastic little creep?

Dyess is producing half of what he did last season going by the stat sheet. He's underachieved by most fan's counts.

Bonner is producing very slightly more than Dyess on the average, even.

I know Dyess is the better player than Bonner, but he has to bring it every night and he's had trouble doing that thus far.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
And don't forget, Dyess got a month's break last season. He won't be getting anything but more PT as time passes now.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
A spastic little creep?

Dyess is producing half of what he did last season going by the stat sheet. He's underachieved by most fan's counts.

Bonner is producing very slightly more than Dyess on the average, even.

I know Dyess is the better player than Bonner, but he has to bring it every night and he's had trouble doing that thus far.

How many times must it be said that Dice is a 2nd half player that needs time to get his body conditioned. People shouldn't even start to judge his numbers and production till after the all-star break.

But let's take a look at his numbers anyway.... I don't know wtf your looking at, but they look pretty good to me for playing on a new team & trying to learn a new system and fit in. Of course they are going to be less than last year since he's playing 10 mins less per game. If he was getting 30 mins a game like last year, his numbers would be almost equal.

Spastic little creeps.

hater
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM

so in the meantime let him shoot us straight out of the playoffs????

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
How many times must it be said that Dice is a 2nd half player that needs time to get his body conditioned. People shouldn't even start to judge his numbers and production till after the all-star break.

The season doesn't start after the All-Star Break. Players don't get paid for half a season plus playoffs. And Dyess has a month or more off last season which skews just how rested he would usually have been.

Besides, I'm curious where you get the idea that I said he can't show up or isn't a second half player.

But let's take a look at his numbers anyway....

let's.

I don't know wtf your looking at,

nba.com and then click players.

but they look pretty good to me

I disagree.

for playing on a new team & trying to learn a new system and fit in.

So is RJ. Where's your sympathy for him?

Of course they are going to be less than last year since he's playing 10 mins less per game.

His per minute averages are down as well. And RJ is playing a good bit less minutes as well and taking quite a few less shots. I guess the same logic you use for Dyess somehow isn't logical for RJ.

If he was getting 30 mins a game like last year, his numbers would be almost equal.

Pop could easily play him 30 minutes a game. He has chosen small ball much more often over Dyess - should tell you something. That's not Dyess' fault totally, but we can only judge him on what he's done in his allotted time.

Spastic little creeps.

You still haven't defined that term. I guess you don't know much about what actually constitutes one.

crc21209
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Bonner has been absolute trash ever since he injured that hand. The part that pissed me off more was that he had missed a wide open 3 pointer and then someone dished it to him yet again thinking he might make it...clank. The only good thing I get outta seeing this guy out there is that at least we dont have to see 4 guards and 1 big playing at the same time. Bonner saves us from seeing ultra-small ball...

hater
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
It's all mental. His hand is fine. Bonner has the self confidence of an abused homeless puppy. great guy, but not championship squad material. I'm a great guy, and I'll work hard too, doesn't mean I deserve playing time.

He needs to be saved for insurance or traded.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
so in the meantime let him shoot us straight out of the playoffs????

Everyone can miss a few shots in a game. The sample size is way too small considering Bonner's past as one of the L's best 3pt shooters.

thispego
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
crofl you dumbasses. Bonner just got back from a broken hand and getting his game rhythm back. if you dont think pop told bonner to shoot every open 3 he got you are retarded. that is how you get a player re acclimated after injury.

hater
Everyone can miss a few shots in a game. The sample size is way too small considering Bonner's past as one of the L's best 3pt shooters.

Bonner has not made an NBA 3 pointer since 2009

TJastal
The season doesn't start after the All-Star Break. Players don't get paid for half a season plus playoffs. And Dyess has a month or more off last season which skews just how rested he would usually have been.

Besides, I'm curious where you get the idea that I said he can't show up or isn't a second half player.

let's.

nba.com and then click players.

I disagree.

So is RJ. Where's your sympathy for him?

His per minute averages are down as well. And RJ is playing a good bit less minutes as well and taking quite a few less shots. I guess the same logic you use for Dyess somehow isn't logical for RJ.

Pop could easily play him 30 minutes a game. He has chosen small ball much more often over Dyess - should tell you something. That's not Dyess' fault totally, but we can only judge him on what he's done in his allotted time.

You still haven't defined that term. I guess you don't know much about what actually constitutes one.

I think the way you cut and pasted 50 different quotes pretty much makes up the defenition of the term.

And your blaming Dice for Pop playing small ball now too? Figures. :rolleyes

E-RockWill
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
:rollin:lmao:rollin

hater
that is how you get a player re acclimated after injury.

by losing a 29 point lead?

z0sa
crofl you dumbasses. Bonner just got back from a broken hand and getting his game rhythm back. if you dont think pop told bonner to shoot every open 3 he got you are retarded. that is how you get a player re acclimated after injury.

Yeah, it's honestly not a hard concept.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
I think the way you cut and pasted 50 different quotes pretty much makes up the defenition of the term.

And I think having the nickname "TJastal" fits the definition. Spastic little creeps these days.

And your blaming Dice for Pop playing small ball now too? Figures. :rolleyes

That's not Dyess' fault totally, but we can only judge him on what he's done in his allotted time.

However, I do think Dyess' fouling troubles and inconsistent play have definitely played a factor in Pop going small too often. Pop didn't even leave Dyess in against the Bulls when we needed a stop and rebound and Dyess had been playing well - that was what, 2 games ago?

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Bonner has not made an NBA 3 pointer since 2009

Are you denying he was one of the L's best 3pt shooters last season?

hater
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Are you denying he was one of the L's best 3pt shooters last season?

and look how far that got us last season.

not hating on Bonner. But this BS about it being his hand? He is obviously making 3s in practice, even the Spurs radio commentator said it. IMO it's more mental than physical.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
and look how far that got us last season.

Bonner isn't the reason we lost last season.

not hating on Bonner. But this BS about it being his hand? He is obviously making 3s in practice, even the Spurs radio commentator said it. IMO it's more mental than physical.

It's definitely mental, because he's not used to playing with a glove and broken hand. During game situations, it's going to be a slight distraction still. Like I said, give him some time. You have to remember he couldn't shoot for weeks because of it, too.

Big P
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
As I have been saying for a while now...Bonner is not needed..in fact he is a liability...even if he DID hit a couple of his 3's, he gets absolutely TORCHED by opposing big men & SF's on defense..in fact his "defense" is non existant...he needs to be traded along with finley & rj...that could returns about $20 mil worth of players.

hater
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Bonner isn't the reason we lost last season.

not THE reason, but his D and bricking vs Mavs was a reason why we lost.

It's definitely mental, because he's not used to playing with a glove and broken hand. During game situations, it's going to be a slight distraction still. Like I said, give him some time. You have to remember he couldn't shoot for weeks because of it, too.

I would give him some time if we were not in danger of not making the playoffs.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM
not THE reason, but his D and bricking vs Mavs was a reason why we lost.

I thought his D was pretty good myself. It was definitely a team effort holding Dirk down, but Bonner was successful through long stretches (not fouling, not giving up open looks)

The bricking occurred because everyone knew the Spurs had Mason and Bonner (GHill couldn't grab a meaningful minute til half the series was over, another great Pop move) and no one else to compliment Tim and Tony. That's why GHill finally did come in Game 4 or 5 and got a ton of wide open looks like Bonner got in game 2.

I am troubled understanding why people don't think that the Mavs were going to adjust to Bonner's openings and quickly if they wanted to win. It's a playoff series, you play the same team, you learn their tendencies, you shut off their avenues of attack.

Dice
01-28-2010, 05:23 PM
However, I do think Dyess' fouling troubles and inconsistent play have definitely played a factor in Pop going small too often. Pop didn't even leave Dyess in against the Bulls when we needed a stop and rebound and Dyess had been playing well - that was what, 2 games ago?

I'm actually hoping that the reason for small ball has been Mcdyess's slow start. And I'm hoping it will die with his recent efforts.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm actually hoping that the reason for small ball has been Mcdyess's slow start. And I'm hoping it will die with his recent efforts.

Trust me, there is nothing more I want right now with this Spurs club than for small-ball to die. I'd LOVE for Dyess to do well and I'm wishing strong for it; he is definitely our 2nd best big potential wise and his numbers during just last playoffs were sick. If he brings that effort the second half of the season, sky might still be the limit for our seeding and title chances. Yes, i really think he could be that big of a difference - which is why I admit he is underachieving now; we know he can do better.

He'll just have to do it (get in a good groove) without last season's month of rest, and playing 24 of our last 36 on the road against many decent or better teams.

And Pop must actually play him in positions where he can succeed, of course.

dastrey
01-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Bonner as a starter is the reason why we sucked last year. Bonner off the bench is an asset to the team.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Bonner off the bench is an asset to the team.

I agree. I predicted Bonner could go back to coming off the bench and still produce nicely, and before he got injured, he was proving it. I don't want him to be the starter playing 35 minutes during POs because then we're once again doomed, but off the bench playing 20-25, he's one of the best backup bigs in the L.

Dice
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Trust me, there is nothing more I want right now with this Spurs club than for small-ball to die. I'd LOVE for Dyess to do well and I'm wishing strong for it; he is definitely our 2nd best big potential wise and his numbers during just last playoffs were sick. If he brings that effort the second half of the season, sky might still be the limit for our seeding and title chances.

He'll just have to do it (get in a good groove) without last season's month of rest, and playing 24 of our last 36 on the road against many decent or better teams.

I like to think that, yes the rest helped, but the main reason for Dice's bigger performance in the second half of the season was the loss of Billups and injuries to others (Wallace, Hamilton). He was asked to carry a much bigger load as far as offense and rebounding.

I think he's gotten it. Probably got a chewing and he always takes that kind of stuff to heart.

As for Bonner, I'd like to see him in short spells but don't like him being a big part of the rotation just because of his lack of rebounding and D. I don't mind a big shooting over Blair because with him, at least the effort was there.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Let him "reacclimate" somewhere else. Orlando, for instance.

SCdac
01-28-2010, 05:46 PM
His shot will eventually start falling, but the bottom line is his role should be reduced to third big off the bench and no more than 15 minutes. As long as he's rebounding, defending, and getting a garbage bucket or two in the paint like a big man should I think he'll be fine. I'm just glad he's not our starting center logging 25-35 minute games anymore. His three point shot should be considered merely a bonus off the bench, not an integral (or necessarily reliable) part of our offense. If he's missing his three's, there's not much use for him as a 20+ minute player IMO.

pjjrfan
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Pop shouldn't play him that's for sure. But I wouldn't blame Bonner, blame Pop.

barbacoataco
01-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I like Bonner as a bench player, not as a starter, or defending the other team's best low post scorer.
If he can't hit 3's, he has little value. I also think he's a choker and I have a hard time believing he will ever contribute to a playoff run.

Sobe_Kucks
Pop has told Bonner to shoot at will when open (no hesitation). That much is obvious. He's coming back from an injury and he's following orders. It was painful to watch him clank open looks and give away 12 pts. I think it was Sean that said during the broadcast that he was hitting his shots during warm ups. That's probably why Pop gave him some burn. After missing repeatedly Pop yanked him to stop the bleeding.

Dude is shooting with a Michael Jackson glove and at this point I'm thinking it's more mental thing than a mechanics thing. He can hit em' during practice and warm up, but in game time something's missing. Give it time.

I'm anything but a Bonner fan and almost puked every time I saw him in the starting line up. But... he was helpful coming off the bench gaurding their bench players and spacing the floor. Once he finds his shot I'll be happy to see him get some burn off the bench, space the floor, and hit some timely 3's. You could see he got plenty of open looks last night. Open looks are good, he's just gotta hit his shots. Work in progress...

vander
wow the hatred Bonner is fascinating, people actually start threads after every bad game he has.

Manu's had about 40 bad games this year, :lol he shot 30% last night, and many of you still think he had a good game,:lol he's shooting 40% for the year, and he's supposed to be one of our "stars" :lol:lol

also, Bonner plays darn good defense, but many of you can't see it because all you know about defense is vertical jumping ability and blocks per game :lol

thispego
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
by losing a 29 point lead?

either he hits the shots or he doesnt. The plan wasnt for him to go out there and miss shots to lose our lead the plan was for him to go and get some in-game shots up. Bonner has never been accused of hogging the ball or taking ill-advised shots, he has however been called out for passing up shots. One thing he has not done since pop grilled his ass for it two years ago. Bonner did exactly as he was told last night and i'm sure pop gave him a "prahps matty" after the game for his effort.

thispego
01-28-2010, 06:05 PM
wow the hatred bonner is fascinating, people actually start threads after every bad game he has.

Manu's had about 40 bad games this year, :lol he shot 30% last night, and many of you still think he had a good game,:lol he's shooting 40% for the year, and he's supposed to be one of our "stars" :lol:lol

also, bonner plays darn good defense, but many of you can't see it because all you know about defense is vertical jumping ability and blocks per game :lol

ding ding ding ding :tu

thispego
01-28-2010, 06:06 PM
let him "reacclimate" somewhere else. Orlando, for instance.

i'd do your bass for bonner idea. Was it you?

TJastal
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
wow the hatred Bonner is fascinating, people actually start threads after every bad game he has.

also, Bonner plays darn good defense, but many of you can't see it because all you know about defense is vertical jumping ability and blocks per game :lol

I think people are pissed off right now because Bonner foisted up not just a couple, but 4 or 5 bricks in a row that almost allowed the hawks back in the game. While simultaneously failing to play that "darn good defense" you claim he plays all the time.

If the other guys hadn't pulled together to stop the bleeding he caused it would have been a devastating loss.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
i'd do your bass for bonner idea. Was it you?

Yup, my idea.

Big P
01-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Thats what happens when you help us win championships...Manu has done that..bonner? not so much

lol "darn good defense"??? wtf is that?

TJastal
01-28-2010, 06:19 PM
thats what happens when you help us win championships...manu has done that..bonner? Not so much

lol "darn good defense"??? Wtf is that?

+1000

vander
01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Thats what happens when you help us win championships...Manu has done that..bonner? not so much

lol "darn good defense"??? wtf is that?

looks like you're living in the past

and no surprise that you don't know what good defense is :lol

ElNono
01-28-2010, 07:03 PM

We should trade Bonner for Amare... :lmao

superjames1992
01-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Bonner's +/- was -1 last night. You all act like he single-handily tried to choke away the game, when facts prove he didn't.

That said, Pop may need to shut him down until he gets used to shooting with that brace. I don't know...

ElNono
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
I think Pop did the right thing last night... he played him enough to get a few shots off, and once he saw he was off, took him out, never to return... That's exactly what I wanted him to do early in the season...

dbestpro
01-28-2010, 07:23 PM
This was the only negative of last night's game other than Tony Parker getting injured, was that M. Bonner was seeing time over D. Blair. A. McDyess and D. Blair should both be getting over 25 mpg while M. Bonner should just be playing in only certain situation.

I would still say the fact that Pop could not resist running out a small ball line up was a greater negative even more so than Parker's sprain.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 07:28 PM
I think Pop did the right thing last night... he played him enough to get a few shots off, and once he saw he was off, took him out, never to return... That's exactly what I wanted him to do early in the season...

I could see he was off after his first shot in the 1st quarter. Not to brag or anything, you can check the game thread....

Big P
01-28-2010, 07:34 PM
looks like you're living in the past

and no surprise that you don't know what good defense is :lol

looks like your living in a fantasy world....bonner cant even spell defense, let alone play it.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Bonner's +/- was -1 last night. You all act like he single-handily tried to choke away the game, when facts prove he didn't.

That said, Pop may need to shut him down until he gets used to shooting with that brace. I don't know...

Bonner rode the gravy train in the 1st half, that's the only reason his +/- came out almost even.

That 5-6 minute stint in the 2nd half I'd have to guess he was -10 at least

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I was never even a fan of Bonner, but I've found myself defending him more and more as so many people here continue to make him the scapegoat for all of the Spurs problems..it just makes no sense..

*NEWSFLASH*..Bonner was out for a while, and the Spurs continued to struggle..this team has much bigger problems than Matt Bonner..

In case most of you weren't watching before he went out, Bonner coming off the bench was an ASSET..there weren't many big men that could take advantage of him since there aren't that many talented bigs coming off the bench anyways..he was shooting the 3 at around a great 45% rate, he was bringing energy..

Pop HAS to play him right now..he isn't going to get back to his shooting level if he isn't getting minutes..I'm in favor of trading him if we can get somebody good in return..while Bonner's expiring contract might be more valuable than Bonner's actual game is, he still has to get back in some kind of rhythm for the Spurs to showcase him to another team that wants to take back his contract..so he should be playing either way..

It's also funny that Bonner's misses were supposedly the reason the Hawks made a run, as if the other Spurs had nothing to do with making plays or playing D on the other end..Pop also took him out when he saw that he was missing, what else do you want?..

Also, while Bonner's D isn't anything special, it has been as good as McDyess' and Blair's D this season..

TJastal
01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I was never even a fan of Bonner, but I've found myself defending him more and more as so many people here continue to make him the scapegoat for all of the Spurs problems..it just makes no sense..

*NEWSFLASH*..Bonner was out for a while, and the Spurs continued to struggle..this team has much bigger problems than Matt Bonner..

In case most of you weren't watching before he went out, Bonner coming off the bench was an ASSET..there weren't many big men that could take advantage of him since there aren't that many talented bigs coming off the bench anyways..he was shooting the 3 at around a great 45% rate, he was bringing energy..

Pop HAS to play him right now..he isn't going to get back to his shooting level if he isn't getting minutes..I'm in favor of trading him if we can get somebody good in return..while Bonner's expiring contract might be more valuable than Bonner's actual game is, he still has to get back in some kind of rhythm for the Spurs to showcase him to another team that wants to take back his contract..so he should be playing either way..

It's also funny that Bonner's misses were supposedly the reason the Hawks made a run, as if the other Spurs had nothing to do with making plays or playing D on the other end..Pop also took him out when he saw that he was missing, what else do you want?..

Also, while Bonner's D isn't anything special, it has been as good as McDyess' and Blair's D this season..

Bonner needs half a season to regain his shooting touch? ROFL. We could easily take a flier on Ian for a month to see what he's got, and still give Bonner ALL of March and half of April to "regain" his shooting touch.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Bonner needs half a season to regain his shooting touch? ROFL. We could easily take a flier on Ian for a month to see what he's got, and still give Bonner ALL of March and half of April to "regain" his shooting touch.

Half a season?..he's been back for like 3 games, give him time..

I would prefer to see Ian play too, I've been asking all season, but that train is gone homie, everybody needs to give up on that, as sad as it is..

benefactor
01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
This. Pop will probably continue to work Bonner in slowly and he will earn PT based on production. A few minutes of Bonner per game to gauge where his shot and hustle level are will do very little to affect the outcome of a game as a whole.

TJastal
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
This. Pop will probably continue to work Bonner in slowly and he will earn PT based on production. A few minutes of Bonner per game to gauge where his shot and hustle level are will do very little to affect the outcome of a game as a whole.

He got 14 minutes in yesterday's game. In my estimation that was 13 too many. It was clear he was not mentally prepared from the get-go. You can blame his "glove" or whatever but something in his head was clearly going haywire for a stretch in that 2nd half.

raspsa
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Bonner had some good defensive sequences vs the younger, athletic Hawks frontline. Once he gets his stroke back, he'll really be able to contribute. In the meantime, there's only one proven way for a shooter to get back in his groove.. just keep firing away.

underdawg
01-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have a clip of these "defensive" exploits of Bonner? I'm a season ticket holder and I've yet to see these defensive plays.

ElNono
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Does anyone have a clip of these "defensive" exploits of Bonner? I'm a season ticket holder and I've yet to see these defensive plays.

:lol

wildbill2u
01-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Dice's stats have been going down for years--along with his years in the league going up. It's called getting old and owned by younger players.

If he's playing less as the years go by, it's because his play doesn't warrant more minutes.

draft87
01-28-2010, 11:28 PM

hahahaha. laughing not at the photo but at FAbbs and the all Bonerphiles. Yes, I said bonerphile. You love boners. You are all about the supposed gay love triangle in San Antonio. You spend time making game photos. You are a Bonerphile.

At this point we've confirmed that Bonner/Finley/Popovich-phobia is like homophobia. The ones who are most offended are the ones who are secretly most interested. You nutjobs are so jealous that Bonner and Finley get Coach Pop's attention that you start rumors and trash talking in hopes that you will receive the replacement love from the coach you used to be gay for. That's right. You're gay for Pop but in denial, trying to make someone else look gay.

..like caddy girls at homecoming.

"ill, oh. my. god. like, Matt. Bonner. is getting Pop's attention and playing minutes. That is like, so. unfair. Pop doesn't know what he's missing....too bad they're all gay. NO i'm not jealous. I just don't like seeing gay people do gay things. gay gay gay. Duh! I'm like. SOOOO. more attractive than Finley. Why doesn't Pop notice ME! :downspin:"

Go ahead, call me a jerk. YOU'RE the one who spends time thinking about secret gay relationships. YOU'RE the one who thinks your team is gay, but still spends hours thinking about them.

DesignatedT
01-28-2010, 11:39 PM
ian is nowhere near being a contributer. him and bonner should both stay on the bench and let dice and blair play the minutes. or bring in 1 more big.

Dice
01-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Dice's stats have been going down for years--along with his years in the league going up. It's called getting old and owned by younger players.

If he's playing less as the years go by, it's because his play doesn't warrant more minutes.

Way to be completely wrong. Here's the link to his stats:

Dice's Stats (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antonio_mcdyess/career_stats.html)

You'll find that his numbers (and minutes) have steadily increased over the previous 4 seasons. Holla at me if you need help with the math.

Maybe you mean a different Dice? If you were talking about me personally then you were spot on.

thispego
01-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Scrowned!

JustinJDW
01-28-2010, 11:59 PM
It's called "getting your rhythm back". He just came back from an injury guys. An injury on his shooting hand! Nobody was complaining when Tony and Manu were having bad games when they were coming off injuries.

Eh, doesn't matter. When Bonner starts hitting 3-pointers from everywhere again, people will be right back on his nuts.

Big P
01-29-2010, 12:30 AM
It's called "getting your rhythm back". He just came back from an injury guys. An injury on his shooting hand! Nobody was complaining when Tony and Manu were having bad games when they were coming off injuries.

Eh, doesn't matter. When Bonner starts hitting 3-pointers from everywhere again, people will be right back on his nuts.

Not me...trade him...& when he hits some 3 pointers thats great..at the same time go & check out how many points & rebounds he has given up to opposing big men & SF's during the game...my bet is he will be at a -#...

draft87
01-29-2010, 02:17 AM

But let's take a look at his numbers anyway.... I don't know wtf your looking at, but they look pretty good to me for playing on a new team & trying to learn a new system and fit in. Of course they are going to be less than last year since he's playing 10 mins less per game. If he was getting 30 mins a game like last year, his numbers would be almost equal.

Spastic little creeps.

Possibly the lamest argument/arguer this week. (I wanted to say "this weak" but figured the pun would go over the heads of adults who don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're". But there, I said it anyway). Bummer cause I thought better of you, TJastal

But for Zosa's sake let's examine the words of the genius calling people, "spastic little creeps."

If you don't know what stats Zosa is looking at, why don't you ask? That might be a better way of getting the information than saying, "I don't know wtf your[hahahaha] looking at, but..." now who's being spastic?

Regarding the production vs minutes for McDyess- You have heard of "per 48" or "per 36", right? If you haven't then go look it up and then act like you "know shit about basketball".

I don't understand what's the point of this lame argument. Yes, there are stupid opinions but you're not gonna score any points with thoughtless arguments. Are you saying that you've NEVER criticized McDyess? I'm pretty sure you're NOT saying that we should apply conditional criticism to everyone and everything in basketball(even though we should). ..what I see is that you're totally pissed that someone is criticizing McDyess but you would go ape shit about Bonner or RJ or whomever.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you've become enlightened and realize that we should save all the harsh words that we've been aiming at the team.
Yes, we can cut McDyess slack for a few months.
Yes, we can cut Bonner slack because he just missed over a month of the season and has a healing hand.

But I don't think this is the case. Unfortunately, I think some of us are so frustrated with the season that we find it cathartic to take it out on other members and the team itself. ...and that's just not cool. There's a difference between wanting a player to perform better and inappropriately, "spastically creeping" on them. And there's a difference between telling a fellow board member, "hey I think you're out of line" and being the one to cross the line by cussing and calling names.

Bruno
01-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Bonner is having a quite good season but he is caught in a number game. We almost all agree that Spurs first priority in a trade should be to get a good defensive bigman.

Antonio McDyess is nearly untradable. Last year, he was traded to a good team (Nuggets) and worked on a buyout to go back to Detroit. If Spurs trade him, all signs point in the direction that he will also ask to be bought out. I don't see a team wanting to trade for a player with a contract that goes until 2012 and who won't play for them. On top of that he has a 10% trade kicker in his contract.

DeJuan Blair is locked on a cheap long term contract, he is having a promising rookie season so he is a keeper. The only way Spurs trade him is if the another team really wants him. I don't think it will happen: teams have passed on him because of his knees during the draft and Blair playing a half NBA season at 18mpg surely isn't enough to change their opinion about his health. I don't see at all Blair being moved.

So Spurs have two options if they do a trade for a good defensive bigman: either Bonner will be part of it or their frontcourt rotation will be loaded with Duncan, the new guy, McDyess, Blair and Bonner. I don't really see the point to keep Bonner with a $3.3M salary if his only task is to play 10/15mpg if there is an injury or if Blair struggles during the playoffs. So if Spurs trade for a bigman, Bonner should be one of the first to be traded.

draft87
01-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Bonner is having a quite good season but he is caught in a number game. We almost all agree that Spurs first priority in a trade should be to get a good defensive bigman.

Antonio McDyess is nearly untradable. Last year, he was traded to a good team (Nuggets) and worked on a buyout to go back to Detroit. If Spurs trade him, all signs point in the direction that he will also ask to be bought out. I don't see a team wanting to trade for a player with a contract that goes until 2012 and who won't play for them. On top of that he has a 10% trade kicker in his contract.

DeJuan Blair is locked on a cheap long term contract, he is having a promising rookie season so he is a keeper. The only way Spurs trade him is if the another team really wants him. I don't think it will happen: teams have passed on him because of his knees during the draft and Blair playing a half NBA season at 18mpg surely isn't enough to change their opinion about his health. I don't see at all Blair being moved.

So Spurs have two options if they do a trade for a good defensive bigman: either Bonner will be part of it or their frontcourt rotation will be loaded with Duncan, the new guy, McDyess, Blair and Bonner. I don't really see the point to keep Bonner with a $3.3M salary if his only task is to play 10/15mpg if there is an injury or if Blair struggles during the playoffs. So if Spurs trade for a bigman, Bonner should be one of the first to be traded.

I think you're on top this except for the McDyess buy out factor. I don't think we can/will trade him but I definitely don't think teams will be concerned about the buy out. Even if they wanted a buyout for salary savings they wouldn't count on it. It was well documented at the time that McDyess was blindsided by the trade, was committed to finally getting the ring in Detroit and keeping his family in Detroit(and kids in school). It seemed like that was an accepted fact from the moment the trade was public and I wouldn't be surprised if Denver took the trade expecting that(didn't that give them a little cap relief?)

Bruno
01-29-2010, 04:39 AM
I think you're on top this except for the McDyess buy out factor. I don't think we can/will trade him but I definitely don't think teams will be concerned about the buy out. Even if they wanted a buyout for salary savings they wouldn't count on it. It was well documented at the time that McDyess was blindsided by the trade, was committed to finally getting the ring in Detroit and keeping his family in Detroit(and kids in school). It seemed like that was an accepted fact from the moment the trade was public and I wouldn't be surprised if Denver took the trade expecting that(didn't that give them a little cap relief?)

Disagree.
Dice has said he would have likely retire if Spurs hadn't signed him. If he is traded, he will likely seek a buyout and it surely hurts his trade value. With the trade kicker and the buyout, the other team will pay at least $5M for nothing. I can't see a team being happy with that.

Tbam327
01-29-2010, 05:33 AM
i was at the game and when tony went out ATL chose Ian to shoot the free throws. well he went in and he was really excited that he was going to play you could see he wanted to get and show what he can do. but pop (sucks) decided to take him out after 2 minutes cause he is a EGO maniac thinking he is the best but just look at his rotations they are never good so he decided to put in slow ass Bonner with messed up hand cause he is an idiot and they could never get on a roll after that.

thanks Tim for saving POPS ass again....

lurker23
01-29-2010, 06:06 AM
As usual, the Matt Bonner hate is ridiculous and mostly unfounded. There are times when I really feel bad for the guy. With his great work ethic, down-to-earth personality, and downright likability, he deserves to be a fan favorite. Instead, he's ridiculed at every chance (at least on SpursTalk; I get the feeling he's at least relatively well-liked by the average Spurs fan at large).

As far as simple basketball goes, the animosity seems to stem from the fact that circumstances forced him to play a starter's role last year. As much as he tried to step up, Matt is a role player, and whenever you try to put a role player into a starting position on a team with championship aspirations, you set him up for failure.

With the above mentioned, I'm fine with trading Bonner for the right piece(s). He has a fair amount of value, both as a decent sized expiring contract and as a big man who can hit the outside shot at a ridiculous rate. However, as Bruno mentioned, his role on this particular Spurs team is limited and ill-defined at best, and is only poised to decrease next year if Splitter is brought in. If the Spurs choose to hold on to him, I do think he can contribute in 8-16 mpg, both this year and next year, but it may very well turn out that he's more valuable as a trade chip at this point.

Concerning his recent mini-slump since returning from injury, I'll save some energy and just quote myself from the Hawks game blog:

I think it's just a matter of getting into game-time rhythm for him. And I don't necessarily think it's the cast that's effecting him either- he's been nailing them nicely in practice and warmups. Game-time action, however, he's just come out of the gate in a cold spell.

If Bonner passes up open 3s, Pop benches him. Simple as that. It's something that Pop and Matt have both said to the media directly.

That said, if he's cold on any given night, you pull him out. That's kind of the beauty of relatively streaky shooters- if they're having an off night, you're under no obligation to play them more than 10 minutes.

Between the cold shooting and McDyess's play in this game, Pop made the right call in putting Dice back out there. Pop gave Bonner a chance, and when it wasn't there, he pulled him out at the first opportunity. Props to Pop for not waiting 4 minutes longer. :tu

VivaPopovich
01-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Bonner and a lap dance from Pop for Amare

Done.

VivaPopovich
01-29-2010, 07:31 AM
As usual, the Matt Bonner hate is ridiculous and mostly unfounded. There are times when I really feel bad for the guy. With his great work ethic, down-to-earth personality, and downright likability, he deserves to be a fan favorite. Instead, he's ridiculed at every chance (at least on SpursTalk; I get the feeling he's at least relatively well-liked by the average Spurs fan at large).

Well, their not booing him at the games although they should

Similar complains can be made of the people that defend him on this forum. You people take team loyalty way too far. If he became our starting PG you people would still be defending him just because he's wearing a Spurs jersey

If he were a Laker everyone here would be united that he has a weak player that we should immediately exploit

Instead you have people blinded by loyalty. Snap out of it

intothechaos
01-29-2010, 07:31 AM

The man never had a rhythm in the first place.. Plus Manu and TP still produce something when they're hurt. Yeah he'll start hitting 3's from everywhere again, but I know and most everyone else knows that he will VANISH when it matters, when the real games count.

VivaPopovich
01-29-2010, 07:33 AM

Shutup, get off that

The Bonner haters here are consistent, regardless of him hitting 3s or not

We can be consistent when he's making shots and you fools will be saying, "you can never make haters happy"

when he's not hitting shots its "just you wait you bandwagoners"

the problem with bonner is not hitting 3's, its the fact that he's useless in every other aspect of the game. hit 3's AT WHAT EXPENSE? at the expense of giving up rebounds and playing no interior defense. when he is hitting 3's he is counter-productive to our defense at best.

when he's missing 3's HE IS USELESS

hey here's an idea: let's play big men that grab rebounds. enough foolishness, enough arguing, lets get back to winning championships

intothechaos
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Like I said before.... His Cons far, far, far outweigh the pros with this sorry excuse for a PF.......

jason1301
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM

that

benefactor
01-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Bonner threads are starting to look like threads in the political forum. Regardless of what one side says the other side will never agree. There are several types of threads I don't post in because arguing about it is pointless...I think I will add Bonner threads to that list.

Chieflion
01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Shutup, get off that

We can be consistent when he's making shots and you fools will be saying, "you can never make haters happy"

the problem with bonner is not hitting 3's, its the fact that he's useless in every other aspect of the game. hit 3's AT WHAT EXPENSE? at the expense of giving up rebounds and playing no interior defense. when he is hitting 3's he is counter-productive to our defense at best.

hey here's an idea: let's play big men that grab rebounds. enough foolishness, enough arguing, lets get back to winning championships
Offensive rating: 124
Defensive rating: 106

Per 100 possessions, Bonner gives us the HIGHEST point differential when he is on the court on the team besides Tim Duncan. Counter-productive my ass. Bonner's ability to spread the floor, with or without him hitting 3s helps the offense.

rayray2k8
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Should of been practicing his shot with the brace instead of going out to eat subs.

I wish he was as aggressive with the ball as he is with his sandwiches. :lol

hater
01-29-2010, 10:20 AM

Manu still finds a way to contribute with rebounds, steals or hustle plays. Plus you can't really compare the quality of Manu vs. Bonner. come one :rolleyes

rayray2k8
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Shutup, get off that

Thats the Bonner I know... I'm mostly critical of him because he takes away minutes from Blair and Dice who we know can contribute on the boards where he lacks the most in.

Dice
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Play Bonner when it suits the matchup. Not all opposing teams have big men that can score coming off the bench. When one of these types gets inserted into the game (big defensive rebounder) put Bonner in to force him away from the basket. Bonner hit's his shots and he'll effectively "beat" his man in terms of production. Won't always happen but I still think he's got enough to offer not to use him a little.

If you can trade him and Finley for someone else, by all means do so-as long as it actually benefits the team. But after seeing Ian play and his physical abilities, I can't help but wonder if any other big would actually do any better coming into this system.