PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Midterm Report

narmerguy
01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
From nba.com

http://www.nba.com/2010/reportcard/midseason/spurs/index.html

Thought it was very interesting. Especially interesting was that we got an A for coaching.

FRONTCOURT ----A healthy Tim Duncan is playing fewer minutes (32.3 a game), but being more productive at 19.8 ppg and 10.4 rpg. Richard Jefferson (12.8 ppg) and rookie DeJuan Blair (7.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg) are up and down.
B

BACKCOURT ---A case of plantar fasciitis has taken some of the zip and effectiveness from Tony Parker (16.8 ppg). Keith Bogans is definitely Bruce Bowen Lite, not quite as effective at either end of the court.
B

DEFENSE ---Not as sharp as past editions without Bowen and a fully healthy Manu Ginobili. Last in NBA in forcing turnovers. But Duncan still protects the middle and they've surrendered the fewest points in the West.
B-

BENCH ---When Ginobili (12.7 ppg) is healthy, he changes the lineup and everything about the Spurs. George Hill (9.8 ppg) is blossoming at the point and Roger Mason Jr. and Matt Bonner can hit big shots.
B

COACHING ---Nothing ever changes with Gregg Popovich. He's clever, grumpy, funny, brusque and innovative. One night he holds Duncan out of the first quarter, another night the whole game. And it works.
A

OVERALL GRADE: B-

Summary

The plan was simple -- take on the $15 million salary of Jefferson and inject new life into the offense and make another run at a championship. But Jefferson has struggled to fit into the offense from day one. The Spurs haven't run enough to take advantage of his ability in the open court and he can't break down his man 1-on-1.

While a well-rested Duncan has returned to form, Parker shows the effects (plantar fasciitis) of five nonstop years of the NBA and international play over the summer. The Spurs need Ginobili to return to his old form that can explode at both ends of the court. But he has a lot of mileage on his tires and may not be able to do it every night.

The Spurs can still rebound and defend. But a tough second-half schedule -- only 12 home games after Jan. 31 -- puts pressure on a sputtering offense and makes challenging the Lakers unlikely.
-- Fran Blinebury

timtonymanu
01-28-2010, 08:38 PM
That rating is too lenient for us i think.

ajballer4
01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Bench should be higher than a B

narmerguy
01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Bench should be higher than a B

I agree. But then again, our bench can be pretty underwhelming at times.

TIMMYD!
01-28-2010, 08:52 PM
All should be lower but the bench should be an A+.

galvatron3000
01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Overall C-

Fabbs
01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/11/01/4001506/image-custom-1.jpg Fran Blinebury Houston Chronicle is who wrote it.

Johnny RIngo
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM
LOL at coaching being an A. They obviously haven't watched the Spurs this season. Pop deserves nothing more than a C at this point.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
FRONTCOURT: B-

BACKCOURT: C+

DEFENSE: C+

BENCH: B

COACHING: C

EXPECTATIONS: D+

OVERALL GRADE: C+

That's how I would grade it without thinking too much..

DPG21920
01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Surprising that you would give the FC a higher grade than the back court considering the FC is giving up a ton of points to other FC's.

Man In Black
01-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I give it a giant INC. Incomplete. There is still work that needs to be done and while it's true we're at midway, the Spurs have always tinkered and toyed until that RRT. I think that if they can somehow get the 3rd seed, then they'll be ready to surprise again. Anything lower than that and I'd be less confident.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Surprising that you would give the FC a higher grade than the back court considering the FC is giving up a ton of points to other FC's.

The grade is just respect for Duncan pretty much, and also Blair for surpassing my expectations..

Again, it was without thinking too much..

sananspursfan21
01-29-2010, 12:52 AM
i already posted this, nice try

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145371

draft87
01-29-2010, 01:33 AM
i already posted this, nice try

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145371

dude, you totally got DIS'd!

and by "dude" I mean both of you.

Killakobe81
01-29-2010, 01:55 AM
FRONTCOURT: B-

BACKCOURT: C+

DEFENSE: C+

BENCH: B

COACHING: C

EXPECTATIONS: D+

OVERALL GRADE: C+

That's how I would grade it without thinking too much..

Agree foe most part but give frontcourt B because duncan was even better than last year and ditto Bonner when healthy