PDA

View Full Version : Obama Loved By The Educated

Sportcamper
01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Obama Still Loved By The Over-Educated

President Obama's popularity has slipped among a wide swath of the population. Among the nation's over-educated, however, he continues to do just fine.
Gallup surveyed more than 25,000 voters over the past calendar year and found that the president remains well-liked among those with multiple degrees.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100128/cm_huffpost/440998

Wild Cobra
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Title corrected:

"Obama Loved By The Indoctrinated"

TeyshaBlue
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Obama Still Loved By The Over-Educated

President Obama's popularity has slipped among a wide swath of the population. Among the nation's over-educated, however, he continues to do just fine.
Gallup surveyed more than 25,000 voters over the past calendar year and found that the president remains well-liked among those with multiple degrees.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100128/cm_huffpost/440998

By the same poll, he's doing quite well with the GED set too.
[/THREAD]
Seriously, what is the point you're making?

Sportcamper
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
I did not write the article or do the research….It is just saying that educated people like Obama…

TeyshaBlue
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I did not write the article or do the research….It is just saying that educated people like Obama…

Some do, so true dat.

In other news, fire is hot.

SouthernFried
01-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm educated.

And yes...I have multiple degrees.

I hate OBAMA.

My stepfather has a PHD. Taught Business at Our Lady of The lake University. He loves Obama.

My stepfather is an idiot...and knows shit about actually running a business.

Which is why he taught about it instead.

...anecdotal, I know. Still, Education doesn't always equate to wisdom. I find experience has more to do with it. Educated fools are quite numerous.

Duff McCartney
01-29-2010, 01:00 PM
It's a sad state of our country when someone who has multiple degrees is called "over-educated". What a fucking joke. I guess our country is happy having good old boy rednecks being the majority of the population. If there's one thing I despise about the U.S. it's that education and knowledge are never highly valued. Maybe they never have been.

Duff McCartney
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm educated.

I hate OBAMA.

My stepfather has a PHD. Taught Business at Our Lady of The lake University. He loves Obama.

...anecdotal, I know. Still, Education doesn't always equate to wisdom. I find experience has more to do with it. Educated fools are quite numerous.

Wisdom is the virtue of those who fucked up so many times in their life now they are around to tell you what not to do.

George Gervin's Afro
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm educated.

I hate OBAMA.

so you weren't idoctrinated?

George Gervin's Afro
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Title corrected:

"Obama Loved By The Indoctrinated"

I guess you mean to say that smart people are dumb.

SouthernFried
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
so you weren't idoctrinated?

Absolutely I was. I even campaigned for McGovern.

Starting a running a business cured me pretty quickly tho.

EVAY
01-29-2010, 02:43 PM
It's a sad state of our country when someone who has multiple degrees is called "over-educated". What a fucking joke. I guess our country is happy having good old boy rednecks being the majority of the population. If there's one thing I despise about the U.S. it's that education and knowledge are never highly valued. Maybe they never have been.

This is the sick part of this to me, too. To my way of thinking, there is no such thing as 'overeducated'. The fact that many university teachers (with notable exceptions in particular professions) cannot afford to send their children to college is a pretty clear example of the low value associated with
higher education in the U.S.

What is the level of education at which it becomes 'over-education'?

EVAY
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm educated.

I hate OBAMA.

True, it is anecdotal. And it does not really relate to the study finding in anything but your own experience. There are any number of 'idiot Ph.D.s'.
There are an even larger number of 'idiot non-Ph.D.'s. To close the loop, there are even quite a few 'non-idiot Ph.D.'s.

There are also huge numbers of poorly educated idiots. They elect politicians all the time, because there are a lot more of them there are educated idiots.

Winehole23
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
The beauty of education is that even very small children can excel the adults around them. There's no set level at which education becomes "over-education" IMO.

EVAY
01-29-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm educated.

I hate OBAMA.

Having both taught at the University level and run the finance department of a Fortune 500, I learned that there is a 'business savvy' that is quite different than the skills necessary for higher education. One of those differences is that, if properly done, the attainment of a Ph.D. means that the person has done originalresearch that is based on the empirical process, and that adds to the body of knowledge in his/her field.

Does that have anything to do with running a business? Of course not. Does it mean that someone who is a successful businessman understands the difference between causality and correlation? No.

My point is that you cannot reasonably make the inference you seem to be trying to make from the data presented. I would hope that your father-in-law, idiot though he may be, would recognize that, at least.

Winehole23
01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
That's, ehem, regulated socially.

SouthernFried
01-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Fair enuf...anecdotal information is just that.

Still, I have never confused educated with smart...or even educated with wise.

Most people are smart...older experienced people are "generally" wiser than younger inexperienced people.

Educated people are more educated. What that means depends totally upon what they were educated in, and how and what they were educated on.

I have said all my life...average people need an education to be successful. Above average people with drive and determination don't. Some of the most sucessful people I know, have the least amount of formal education.

In my case, I needed the education, lol.

In other words, for President... I would take a high school dropout, who has run a sucessful business and met payrolls of over 50 people for a few years...over an "educated" person who has never run a thing or never met a payroll in his life.

Obama is not experienced or competent enough to run an ice house successfully...let alone the largest economy the world has ever known. He simply doesn't know what he is doing.

Unfortunately, competence and experience doesn't seem to be a requirement for his job.

Lucky us.

Duff McCartney
01-29-2010, 06:46 PM
In other words, for President... I would take a high school dropout, who has run a sucessful business and met payrolls of over 50 people for a few years...over an "educated" person who has never run a thing or never met a payroll in his life.

You must be fucking nuts! I wouldn't take a high school drop out for my President...ever! Voting for a complete dumbass fucked up the first 8 years of this decade.

Obama is not experienced or competent enough to run an ice house successfully...let alone the largest economy the world has ever known. He simply doesn't know what he is doing.

You could say the same thing about every President we've ever had. None of our Presidents have been economists from what I can tell. That's why they have a cabinet, and advisors.

Marcus Bryant
01-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Of course the ignorant and those who believe they can run the lives of the ignorant approve of the current president.

If you are free, you don't really give a shit.

Nbadan
01-29-2010, 08:24 PM
WTF? Every President in our time has come from a cozy Ivy League School, even Dubya...

SouthernFried
01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
WTF? Every President in our time has come from a cozy Ivy League School, even Dubya...

Exactly right.

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

spursncowboys
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
To get multiple degrees, you have to be in college for a long time. There is alot of REAL life experience you miss out on, being in college into your mid 30's.
I also don't know where you get that the US does not value education. We have the best colleges in the world. We also value on the job experience journeyman type jobs, which although does not include a piece of paper with a stamp is education.

jack sommerset
01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
The old Republicans are stupid and Democrats are smart bullshit. It has gotten bad!

My own sister told my republican mother that becuase she is a republican means she is a idiot!!!!!! I was shocked and my sister was dead serious. Like most Obama dems the conversation ended with "you just are." No explanation when pressed.

Obama and his clones brainwashed her. She told her own mother, a mother she loves that she is a idiot because she is a registered republican! My sister is 40 and we are not a political family. We NEVER talked politics with each other until her last visit . My sister represent a whole bunch of Obama dems. I know plenty of them. Her friends blamed the "rural" people of Massachuttes for the USA not getting free healthcare. The once intellectual state has been broken down into sections. Dumb (repugs) and smart (dems). :lol

EmptyMan
01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
My sister has a Masters and doesn't know shit about politics.

EmptyMan
01-29-2010, 09:49 PM
As a side note, I love comparing the hardcore profs who do nothing but "research" to the professors who are actually the real deal and only teach to supplement income.

DMX7
01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
If you think having two degrees means you're overeducated, that's probably because you're not educated at all.

Duff McCartney
01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
My sister has a Masters and doesn't know shit about politics.

Well there are different areas you can get Masters in..I'm sure there's PhDs that don't know shit about politics. Probably because they don't care to get involved.

Duff McCartney
01-29-2010, 10:08 PM
To get multiple degrees, you have to be in college for a long time. There is alot of REAL life experience you miss out on, being in college into your mid 30's.
I also don't know where you get that the US does not value education. We have the best colleges in the world. We also value on the job experience journeyman type jobs, which although does not include a piece of paper with a stamp is education.

It doesn't..and the fact that other countries have better education rates is a proven point. It's a fact that the U.S. spends too much on defense and not enough on education.

What do we really value? Military might, celebrities and unfaithful politicians from both sides of the spectrum.

Betsy
01-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I do have a single degree only but don't give a shit.
I am an American and proud to be an American.
I did not vote for Obama and to me he sucks completley.
I would not vote for him if he runs for another 4.
Stick up for the military and what they do for the USA.
We also need help for medical terms.
They say he is doing all that but I don't se any of it.
He is an Asshole. :p: :hang

spursncowboys
01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
It doesn't..and the fact that other countries have better education rates is a proven point. It's a fact that the U.S. spends too much on defense and not enough on education.

What do we really value? Military might, celebrities and unfaithful politicians from both sides of the spectrum. No that's an opinion.

ploto
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I guess when you have a heart attack you don't want that guy who is overeducated with those 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 6 years of residency.

SouthernFried
01-29-2010, 11:44 PM
I also don't wanna plumber that isn't licensed.

I remember when the Old USSR supposedly had a better educated population than the US.

...and they were standing in bread lines.

I'm not downplaying the importance of education. But just being educated doesn't mean much...if your system of govt puts you in a bread line.

Winehole23
01-30-2010, 02:49 AM
Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.Is there an echo in here? I think that's the second one of those I've seen today.

elbamba
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I went to school for 7 years to get my advanced degree. I have to continue to get 12 additional credits every year to keep my license. I do not think that anyone can become overeducated. Some people can take on so many student loans that they feel overeducated.

I would be willing to be so bold as to say that anyone who believes they are overeducated is probably not a very smart person.

elbamba
01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I guess when you have a heart attack you don't want that guy who is overeducated with those 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 6 years of residency.

Can a doctor ever aactually reach a point of being overeducated. As a son of a cardiologist, I am going to say that he was never satisfied that he could put away the books. He was still studying and performing research at 80. Long after he made his wealth.

Marcus Bryant
01-30-2010, 10:43 AM
The assumption that the possession of academic degrees constitutes being "educated" needs to be reviewed. Very few in this country are truly educated. Or, don't confuse schooling with being a learned individual.

Marcus Bryant
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Further, considering how much is spent annually on "education" in this country, the result is horrific.

admiralsnackbar
01-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I also don't wanna plumber that isn't licensed.

I remember when the Old USSR supposedly had a better educated population than the US.

...and they were standing in bread lines.

I'm not downplaying the importance of education. But just being educated doesn't mean much...if your system of govt puts you in a bread line.

I remember we weren't doing tremendously well in the late 70's, either -- and that was with a successful, modestly-educated businessman in the white house.

spurster
01-30-2010, 09:32 PM
The GOP (or at least a loud proportion of them) distains science (evolution, astrophysics, ecology, climatology) and hates the social sciences and the humanities and the arts. Why should educated people like the GOP when the GOP doesn't like them?

baseline bum
01-30-2010, 10:39 PM
We have the best colleges in the world.

Not true. The Indian Institute of Technology schools absolutely murder our best engineering colleges (MIT, Stanford, and Berkeley) at the undergrad level.

SouthernFried
01-30-2010, 11:40 PM
The GOP (or at least a loud proportion of them) distains science (evolution, astrophysics, ecology, climatology) and hates the social sciences and the humanities and the arts. Why should educated people like the GOP when the GOP doesn't like them?

Dumbest post of the new year...beating out some tuff competition.

baseline bum
01-30-2010, 11:45 PM

t4Cc8t3Zd5E

George Gervin's Afro
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Nah you still have nothing to worry about. You are in the lead..

xrayzebra
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Some speak of Doctors of Medicine as if they have no practical learning or experience. At a certain
point in their "education" they actually start doing the work they have had book learning
about. And even during the book learning they are "doing".

So lets not compare Doctors to Doctor's such as Obama, the scholar, who does not know
beans about his Major. Constitutional Law. After the dumb ass statement he made
during his speech.

Someone mentioned about a Daughter calling her Mother an idiot. Why does that
surprise you. Obama threw his Grandmother under the bus, more than once.
I'll bet she was so proud of him. But scared, remember she was just a typical
old white woman.

Marcus Bryant
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Much of what we term "education" in this country is actually vocational training. Now, yes, that training does require a certain aptitude, but by no means does it represent comprehensive knowledge, or even superior. The true number of individuals in this nation who are educated fully is quite small in number. And, of course, the truly educated do not seek to condemn those who have not traveled the path as have they.