PDA

View Full Version : Cold feet or abduction?

Clandestino
04-28-2005, 11:18 AM
By KRISTEN WYATT, Associated Press Writer
1 minute ago

DULUTH, Ga. - A 32-year-old woman disappeared just days before she was to be married, and authorities said Thursday they are treating her case as a criminal investigation.

Jennifer Wilbanks was reported missing Tuesday night by her fiance, John Mason, who said the bride-to-be was last seen hours earlier leaving her home to go jogging on her one-mile route, police said.

Friends and relatives have told police that Wilbanks seemed happy and said she was looking forward to her wedding Saturday. Her keys, cash, credit cards and identification also were found in her home. Her fiance said she left with only her radio and the clothes she had on.

"All of her friends and family said this is totally uncharacteristic of her," police Maj. Don Woodruff said Thursday after it was announced that police were treating her disappearance as a criminal investigation. "We don't believe it was a case of premarital jitters. She did not get cold feet."

Despite this, Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher said hours later, "It's a very real possibility she did get cold feet. I mean, how many husbands have gone out for a pack of cigarettes and not come back."

The wedding was expected to be a big bash, with 600 invitations sent out and 14 bridesmaids and 14 groomsmen, according to Mason's mother, Vicki.

The ceremony was to be held at Duluth First United Methodist Church followed by a reception at the Atlanta Athletic Club. The groom's father, Claude Mason, a former Duluth mayor and municipal judge, was to be the best man.

Gifts have poured in for the wedding, according to the couple's bridal registry at Macy's, which listed Lenox dinnerware and Waterford crystal among the items bought for the bride and groom.

"She was so in love. The wedding is huge. It's the talk of the town. Everybody knows her, and was so excited," said Killie McCauley, of Gainesville, who went to high school with Wilbanks. McCauley was at the police station to find out how she could help find her friend, she said.

On Thursday, about 100 police officers were expanding a search a quarter-mile deeper into the nearby woods. Police had not asked anyone to take a polygraph test, but her fiance has volunteered to do so, Belcher said.

The woman is a daily runner and police downplayed the five hours it took for her fiance to report her missing. Many of those who routinely saw her jogging cannot remember if they saw her Tuesday, Blecher said.

Woodruff said the FBI and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation have offered assistance in the search.

Hundreds of volunteers searched the area Wednesday for Wilbanks. Authorities called off the volunteer search late in the day but continued canvassing door-to-door in this northeastern Atlanta suburb seeking clues in the disappearance.

Police checked the banks of the nearby Chattahoochee River and the state Department of Natural Resources searched the river, Woodruff said.

Wilbanks is described as 5 feet, 8 inches tall, 123 pounds, with shoulder-length dark brown hair. She was wearing a gray sweat shirt and blue sweat pants, police said.

Flea
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I would look directly at the Fiance.

desflood
04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Or a jealous ex-boyfriend.

Flea
04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Or maybe he was the soon to be ex-fiance.

Taco
04-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I would look directly at the Fiance.

Yep

TheWriter
04-28-2005, 03:07 PM
About to go jogging?

Damn... that placement before someone goes missing is so 2001.

Kori Ellis
04-28-2005, 05:35 PM
The woman is a daily runner and police downplayed the five hours it took for her fiance to report her missing.

Fishy story.

Did she normally jog (or disappear) for five hours without explanation?

I would think after two hours her fiance' would have been frantic.

CosmicCowboy
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
If they were getting married that week and 14 groomsmen were in town I doubt he was just sitting around twiddling his thumbs a looking at his watch waiting for her to get back...

I suspect it was one of those "I thought she was with you?" things...

I am gonna take the opposite side and go with the abduction theory...

Spurgal
04-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Hope she's ok.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2005, 03:31 AM
I suspect it was one of those "I thought she was with you?" things...

Yeah I guess it could be. I don't go five hours without talking to LJ under any circumstances, so I just think it's peculiar.

AlamoSpursFan
04-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Y'all haven't been married long enough.

:lol

Give it time.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2005, 08:59 AM

Give it time.

:lmao...my cell phone plays Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries" when my wife calls...:lol

desflood
04-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Give it time.
I'm actually happy when my hubby has a week-long TDY. Cuts the dishes and laundry in half, and I can sleep without someone breathing all over me. Not that it isn't nice when he's home too, of course!

Kori Ellis
04-29-2005, 09:31 AM

Give it time.

:)

I think we are just unusual. We are together 24 hours a day (because we both work from home) and we actually prefer it that way. Everyone we know thinks were crazy.

Shelly
04-29-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm actually happy when my hubby has a week-long TDY. Cuts the dishes and laundry in half, and I can sleep without someone breathing all over me. Not that it isn't nice when he's home too, of course!

I swear, my husband has the most laundry of all. He's changing 3 times a day..work, after his walk, bed clothes.

I email him a lot also.

Back on subject..any updates on this story?

desflood
04-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Here's the latest...

Search for Bride-to-Be Now a Criminal Probe
Thursday, April 28, 2005

DULUTH, Ga. — Searchers looking for a missing Georgia woman who was to be married this weekend found a clump of hair Thursday, and authorities were working to see if a DNA match existed.

WAGA-TV, the FOX affiliate in Atlanta, reported that the hair was found in an office park near the home of Jennifer Wilbanks (search). The station reported that authorities could not say yet if the hair was connected to Wilbanks' disappearance.

Authorities said they were considering the case a criminal investigation.

Wilbanks was reported missing by her fiancé, John Mason, who said she disappeared Tuesday on her nightly jog in this Atlanta suburb.

Her keys, cash, credit cards and identification also were found in her home. Her fiancé said she left with only her radio and the clothes she had on.

Before she left, "she talked to her mom ... about the different wedding stuff they had to get done for today," Mason said Wednesday night during an interview on FOX News' "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren."

Mason, who had just returned from a run himself, said Wilbanks prefers to run by herself, but "she doesn't just go and run and hide."

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
I saw a picture of her on TV last night...she is/was extremely good looking...hope some perv didn't snag her...

Flea
04-29-2005, 10:50 AM
He just returned from a run?????

Sounds fishier by the minute.

desflood
04-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Is that like, "Scott Peterson had returned from a fishing trip..."

Flea
04-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Is that like, "Scott Peterson had returned from a fishing trip..."

EXACTLY!!!

desflood
04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Ga. Bride-To-Be's Family Announces Reward By KRISTEN WYATT, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 22 minutes ago

DULUTH, Ga. - Police halted their search for a missing bride-to-be on Friday, saying they had "turned over probably every leaf in the city."

The announcement came minutes after the family of 32-year-old Jennifer Carol Wilbanks announced a $100,000 reward for information leading to anyone responsible for her disappearance.

Wilbanks, whose wedding is planned for Saturday, has not been seen since she went out for her nightly run Tuesday in this Atlanta suburb.

Police have searched for miles in the wooded areas around the home she shared with fiance John Mason but said Friday the job was done.

"We have searched what can be searched. We have exhausted our manpower and turned over probably every leaf in the city," Police Chief Randy Belcher said.

The only lead at this point, he said, was the strands of hair found Thursday that appear to be similar to Wilbanks'. The hair was being tested, he said.

"We have nothing at this point to show that there has been a crime committed," Belcher said.

Mason appeared with Wilbanks' family, who said he had passed a polygraph test. Police said the test was conducted privately and that they want to conduct their own test.

Mason did not speak with reporters. His lawyer has requested that the test be videotaped, which Belcher said no law enforcement agency "that's worth anything" will agree to do.

Belcher said Mason was continuing to cooperate.

Useruser666
04-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Did Peterson ever take a polygraph test? Him being out jogging too is kinda fishy. It's not as though he was on a fihing trip by himself. When would one of you guys call the cops for your significant other?

Flea
04-29-2005, 03:36 PM
This guy is sounding more and more guilty. If you were innocent and it was your significant other wouldn't you be down at the police station saying take the damn polygraph and go find her????

bigzak25
04-29-2005, 03:43 PM
sounds like it will end tragically, but i hope not.

Godbless her.

Shelly
04-29-2005, 03:46 PM
This guy is sounding more and more guilty. If you were innocent and it was your significant other wouldn't you be down at the police station saying take the damn polygraph and go find her????

Exactly.

NameDropper
04-30-2005, 02:58 AM
Rumor has it she's alive.

ATLANTA (CNN) -- Jennifer Wilbanks, a Georgia woman missing since Tuesday night, has been found alive and well in New Mexico, the associate pastor of her church said.

Wilbanks was located in Albuquerque, New Mexico and told her family she had been abducted and taken there, according to Pastor Alan Jones.

Wilbanks, 32, had not been seen since Tuesday night, when she left the Duluth home she shares with her fiance John Mason, also 32, for a jog about 8:30 p.m.

"Her abductors let her go," Jones said. "They got scared and let her go and she made it to a pay phone and actually called the home."

Wilbanks said her abductors "came up behind her, cut her hand and put her in a blue van," Jones said.

Jones said Wilbanks "sounded a little frantic, a little scared."

Pastor Jones was scheduled to conduct the wedding for Wilbanks and Mason who were scheduled to be married in Duluth, northeast of Atlanta.

Instead of the wedding, her fiance and family will fly to Albuquerque Saturday morning to be bring Wilbanks back, according to her fiance's father, Claude Mason.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/30/wilbanks.found/

johnny00
04-30-2005, 06:49 AM
After hearing the news this morning, this sounds fishy.
I think she got cold feet and didn't have the nerve to call off the wedding.

Shelly
04-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Ga. Woman Found, Reportedly Got Cold Feet
Ga. Bride-To-Be Found Alive in N.M.; Police Say She Got Cold Feet, Lied About Being Abducted
By MARY PEREA
The Associated Press

Apr. 30, 2005 - A Georgia bride-to-be who vanished just days before her wedding turned up in New Mexico and fabricated a tale of abduction before admitting Saturday that she had gotten cold feet and "needed some time alone," police said.

Jennifer Wilbanks, 32, was in police custody more than 1,420 miles from her home on what was supposed to be her wedding day.

"It turns out that Miss Wilbanks basically felt the pressure of this large wedding and could not handle it," said Randy Belcher, the police chief in Duluth, Ga., the Atlanta suburb where Wilbanks lives with her fiance. He said there would be no criminal charges.

Wilbanks, whose disappearance set off a nationwide hunt, called her fiance, John Mason, from a pay phone late Friday and told him that she had been kidnapped while jogging three days before, authorities said. Her family rejoiced that she was safe, telling reporters that the media coverage apparently got to the kidnappers.

But Wilbanks soon recanted, according to police.

Ray Schultz, chief of police in Albuquerque, said Wilbanks "had become scared and concerned about her impending marriage and decided she needed some time alone." He said she traveled to Las Vegas by bus before going to Albuquerque.

"She's obviously very concerned about the stress that she's been through, the stress that's been placed on her family," he said. "She is very upset."

The mood outside Wilbanks' home went from jubilant to somber after Wilbanks changed her story. Family members ducked inside and the blinds were drawn, but friends expressed relief that Wilbanks was safe.

"Having cold feet is a joy compared to what the alternative might have been," friend Melinda Larson, who had planned to attend the wedding, told CNN.

The wedding was going to be a huge bash. The couple had mailed 600 invitations, and the ceremony was to feature 14 bridesmaids and 14 groomsmen.

Wilbanks' uncle, Mike Satterfield, thanked people who had helped in the search and supported the family.

"Jennifer had some issues the family was not aware of. We're looking forward to loving her and talking to her about these issues," he said.

Mason and Wilbanks' family planned to fly to Albuquerque later Saturday.

Wilbanks, who is a nurse, was tired and thirsty, but was not complaining of any injuries Saturday, officials said. Her hair, which was long in pictures released by her family, was shoulder-length.

Just hours before Wilbanks called her fiance, police in Duluth said they had no solid leads in the case and began dismantling a search center. Relatives offered a $100,000 reward for information and were planning a prayer vigil.

The hunt for Wilbanks had consumed Duluth, a tight-knit town. Her picture and newspaper articles about her disappearance were on telephone poles and shop windows. Police had also seized three computers from the home she shared with Mason.

Mason had become a target of suspicion and agreed to a private polygraph test, which Wilbanks' family said he passed. He had been negotiating with authorities for another test.

"That's been the hardest part for me," Mason said after Wilbanks called from Albuquerque. "It gives you a feeling like you can't walk outside your home."

Larson, a friend of both Mason and Wilbanks, said she thought the bride-to-be had no idea her disappearance would draw so much attention.

"Sometimes things take on a life of their own, just like weddings," she said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=717124

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 08:42 AM
What a dumb bitch.

Sorry, but I'm so sick of the fake abductions. If you can't handle something and want to take off, leave a frickin' note and go on your merry way.

Shelly
04-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Not only that, but to be that selfish to worry your family like that.

Clandestino
04-30-2005, 09:24 AM
i fucking knew this shit the moment i heard the story of her disappearance...

what is up with the dumbasses these days... back in the day, people just got stood up at the alter or divorced if they didn't want to be in the marriage anymore.. lately, they pull stunts like this or kill the spouse...

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Book deal and Lifetime movie to follow.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 09:33 AM
My suspicions were raised by this pic:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/04/30/wilbanks.found/vert.wilbanks.01.ap.jpg

Got them crazy eyes -- those folk are capable of anything.

Shelly
04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Book deal and Lifetime movie to follow.

:lol You know it!

Sportcamper
04-30-2005, 10:04 AM
What amazes me is that “ALL” of you just fall in line with your Gloria Allred man bashing...It never even occurred to any of you that “the groom to be” could possibly be a man of high moral fiber....You all start comparing him to Scott Peterson...

Pathetic!!!! :rolleyes

http://www.fansoffieger.com/allred.jpg
If he is a man...He is guilty of something...

Clandestino
04-30-2005, 10:06 AM
My suspicions were raised by this pic:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/04/30/wilbanks.found/vert.wilbanks.01.ap.jpg

Got them crazy eyes -- those folk are capable of anything.

too funny!

Clandestino
04-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Pathetic!!!! :rolleyes

http://www.fansoffieger.com/allred.jpg
If he is a man...He is guilty of something...

that is pretty much true though! hahaha!

GoldToe
04-30-2005, 10:28 AM
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

The wedding was going to be a huge bash. The couple had mailed 600 invitations, and the ceremony was to feature 14 bridesmaids and 14 groomsmen.

exstatic
04-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Runaway Bride.

Clandestino
04-30-2005, 11:05 AM
they need to put her ass in a crazy house or in jail for this bullshit!

SequSpur
04-30-2005, 11:22 AM
LMAO!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

Shelly was already blaming the fiance....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA...................

AlamoSpursFan
04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
I'd just like to offer a little advice to this Mason dude:

RUN, FORREST! RUN!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/2886_001_thumb.jpg

Shelly
04-30-2005, 11:47 AM
LMAO!!!!!

uh..i didn't realize Flea was my user name. All I did was agree with her that I would be down at the police station taking a lie detector test.

AlamoSpursFan
04-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Jones said Mason had no hostility toward his fiancee.

''I have never met such a strong person in all my life,'' Jones said. ''He's an incredible man.''

This guy must be really hard up if he's willing to forgive that broad after she made him look like a chump in front of the entire country...

T Park
04-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Did you hear the guy's interview though??

"I knew it was two things,
1 she was up in heaven
2 she would be back with me, cause she knew what a great thing she had goin with me"

lmfaooooo

what a couple of clowns.

BTW, any apologies from the women sect here???

CosmicCowboy
04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Ray Schultz, chief of police in Albuquerque, said Wilbanks "had become scared and concerned about her impending marriage and decided she needed some time alone." He said she traveled to Las Vegas by bus before going to Albuquerque.

:lmao

she must have been watching one of those "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" commercials an decided to have a last fling and then changed her mind about getting married...:lol

When I was in college I ran into these two hotties at a bar on a Friday night...I didn't know either one of them but we got to talking and at closing time they invited me back to their apartment...we all sat there talking and laughing and one of them was showing all the signs of being seriously interested in hooking up...and I liked her too...very bright, funny, and hot...the other one kept hanging around which I thought was kinda weird but she FINALLY got up and stretched and gave her friend a funny look and said something about needing to get some sleep and having a big day tomorrow...I didn't think much about it at the time...one thing led to another and we were having a wonderful time and taking our time and using the old baseball analogy we were crawling around third base when she noticed that it was starting to get light outside...she freaked and jumped up and ran to the kitchen to check the clock on the stove...and said..."Oh shit!...you've gotta leave...my parents will be here in thirty minutes"...I was like...uhhh...why did your parents drive all night to get here at dawn?...she walked over and gave me a long slow kiss and them said "*sigh*...I just wish I had met you a year ago...I guess I should have told you I'm getting married this afternoon at 2..."

Dang!..whadda you say to that?..."I was like...well...I guess I need to get some clothes on and get out of here then...and uhhh have a nice life..." :lol

ididnotnothat
04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
And The Moose_Shady 'Foot In Thy Mouth Disease' Award goes to..

None other than our nostril-flaring southern belle herself http://www.s5000.com/images/upload/030929120234.jpg Nancy Grace weighing in on the Jennifer Wilbanks disappearing case.

That which is Nancy Grace...

4/28 Transcripts (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0504/28/ng.01.html)

GRACE: Well, look, I don`t have a degree in being a police chief. But I can tell you this much: This is not cold feet, all right? This is not cold feet. I know that much.

4/29 Transcripts (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0504/29/ng.01.html)

GRACE: Another question. Could you tell me, Jonathan, what was the fiance doing at the time she was jogging? Was he there in the home? Does he have an alibi?

Well, she got it wrong for BOTH COUNTS because Poor Jenny decided to what Julia Roberts did in Runaway Bride (http://www.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTB2MXQ5MTU3BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEdGVzdAMwBHRtc GwDaW5kZXgtaWU-/s/238372) on this time, this should've been a reality show.

mookie2001
04-30-2005, 03:12 PM
cable news loves reporting on "kidnappings" and "disappearances" theres nothing they love more
its sick but it think foxnews' greta van sustren hopes for them to turn up dead or raped, brutally murdered, then she can sigh and tell you if you have kids to not let them hear so she can give you "grizzly" details
ive heard kidnappings are down the last 10 years but you hear so much about them due to cable news, youd think america was columbia

all this media coverage is to scare us so in a few years the government can start putting chips in all the babies, scare us so much that parents volunteer their children for radioID tags like they put in dogs

vincerodriguez23
04-30-2005, 03:17 PM

she must have been watching one of those "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" commercials an decided to have a last fling and then changed her mind about getting married...:lol

When I was in college I ran into these two hotties at a bar on a Friday night...I didn't know either one of them but we got to talking and at closing time they invited me back to their apartment...we all sat there talking and laughing and one of them was showing all the signs of being seriously interested in hooking up...and I liked her too...very bright, funny, and hot...the other one kept hanging around which I thought was kinda weird but she FINALLY got up and stretched and gave her friend a funny look and said something about needing to get some sleep and having a big day tomorrow...I didn't think much about it at the time...one thing led to another and we were having a wonderful time and taking our time and using the old baseball analogy we were crawling around third base when she noticed that it was starting to get light outside...she freaked and jumped up and ran to the kitchen to check the clock on the stove...and said..."Oh shit!...you've gotta leave...my parents will be here in thirty minutes"...I was like...uhhh...why did your parents drive all night to get here at dawn?...she walked over and gave me a long slow kiss and them said "*sigh*...I just wish I had met you a year ago...I guess I should have told you I'm getting married this afternoon at 2..."

Dang!..whadda you say to that?..."I was like...well...I guess I need to get some clothes on and get out of here then...and uhhh have a nice life..." :lol

what a story

vincerodriguez23
04-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Wilbanks, whose disappearance set off a nationwide hunt, called her fiance, John Mason, from a pay phone late Friday and told him that she had been kidnapped while jogging three days before, authorities said. Her family rejoiced that she was safe, telling reporters that the media coverage apparently got to the kidnappers.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=717124

obviously she didnt have Georgia on her Mind anymore

CosmicCowboy
04-30-2005, 03:40 PM
what a story

hehehe...yeah...I'm frequently told in here that I am full of s...uhhh stories...:lol

bigzak25
04-30-2005, 03:50 PM
crazy inconsiderate bitch....glad she's not dead though...

Shelly
04-30-2005, 04:35 PM

CHOPPER BOY, is there something you're not telling us??????

CosmicCowboy
04-30-2005, 04:42 PM
CHOPPER BOY, is there something you're not telling us??????

Gatita
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
:flipoff What a dumb b*tch! :flipoff

T Park
04-30-2005, 06:47 PM
all this media coverage is to scare us so in a few years the government can start putting chips in all the babies, scare us so much that parents volunteer their children for radioID tags like they put in dogs

Dude, you, dont take this wrong, your nuts.

Clandestino
04-30-2005, 06:50 PM

you must be related to knownalien...

Flea
04-30-2005, 08:38 PM
LMAO!!!!!

It wasn't Shelly, it was me. I was wrong.......but it did sound fishy.

johnny00
04-30-2005, 08:58 PM
When I was in college I ran into these two hotties at a bar on a Friday night...I didn't know either one of them but we got to talking and at closing time they invited me back to their apartment...
Uhhhh, there wasn't much cosmic in that story......more comic

CosmicCowboy
04-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Uhhhh, there wasn't much cosmic in that story......more comic

uhhhh...I didn't get that...care to clarify?

desflood
05-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Runaway Bride May Face Charges in Georgia By KRISTEN WYATT, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 34 minutes ago

DULUTH, Ga. - A prosecutor said Sunday that he wants to review whether the runaway bride-to-be who admitted she made up a kidnapping story should be charged for making false statements to the police.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jennifer Wilbanks returned to this tight-knit town on Saturday after a cross-country bus trip took her through Las Vegas, Nev., to Albuquerque, N.M., as hundreds of volunteers searched for her.

She initially told authorities she had been abducted while jogging, but eventually admitted her kidnapping story was fabricated and she had run away because she had cold feet for her wedding, which was planned for Saturday.

Police initially said there would be no criminal charges, but Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said Sunday that he was still looking into the matter.

"I think it's really going to depend on the circumstances on how this was done," Porter said. "If there's criminal responsibility, that's something I have to do something about."

Porter said the 32-year-old woman could face a misdemeanor charge of false report of a crime or a felony charge of false statements. The misdemeanor carries a penalty of up to a year of jail time and the felony carries a maximum of 5 years of prison.

The charges potentially would stem from Wilbanks reporting her kidnapping story on the phone to Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher, Porter said, adding that he had no jurisdiction over the woman's 911 call to Albuquerque authorities.

Members of Peachtree Corners Baptist Church, where she was scheduled to be married, said prayers and expressed concern on Sunday for her and her fiance, John Mason.

But some residents of this Atlanta suburb felt betrayed by what turned out to be an elaborate hoax. Volunteers had searched woods and alleys, crawled in sewage drains and stayed up late looking for Wilbanks.

"I'm glad that she's alive and OK, but it was a dirty trick," said Louise McCoy, waiting in line at the Duluth post office Saturday — the same day Wilbanks was supposed to be married in a lavish ceremony that included 14 bridesmaids and 14 groomsmen.

More than 100 officers led a search that involved several hundred volunteers, including many wedding guests and members of the bridal party.

A Wisconsin college student who faked her own abduction last year and turned up curled in a fetal position in a marsh was ordered to repay police at least $9,000 for their search. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of obstructing officers and was given three years' probation.

Wilbanks returned Saturday by plane to Atlanta, where she was picked up in a squad car on the tarmac — with a towel covering her head — to avoid the media.

There were no family members at the airport to greet her, but her stepfather and an uncle had flown to Albuquerque to escort her home, authorities said.

Clandestino
05-01-2005, 02:18 PM
i've heard that some rich people in america are implanting gps tracker chips in their kids just in case of a kidnapping...

are you fucking stupid or just retarded?

desflood
05-01-2005, 02:43 PM
are you fucking stupid or just retarded?
No dude, he's got it right. Look at this.

Tracking Junior With a Microchip

By Julia Scheeres | Also by this reporter Page 1 of 1

02:00 AM Oct. 10, 2003 PT

A Mexican company has launched a service to implant microchips in children as an anti-kidnapping device.

Solusat, the Mexican distributor of the VeriChip -- a rice-size microchip that is injected beneath the skin and transmits a 125-kilohertz radio frequency signal -- is marketing the device as an emergency ID under its new VeriKid program.

According to a press release announcing the collaboration, the foundation has estimated that 133,000 Mexican children have been abducted over the past five years.

Foundation officials did not respond to interview requests.

A Solusat executive said the terms of the agreement are still being hashed out.

"There are distinct projects on the table, but one form of finding (children) is by putting scanners in strategic locations where a search is being conducted for a VeriKid that has been reported missing," said Carlos Altamirano, Solusat's associate general director.

The company envisions placing walk-through scanners -- similar to metal-detector portals used in airports -- in malls, bus stations and other areas where a missing child may appear. The chip also could be used to identify children who are found unconscious, drugged, dead or too young to identify themselves.

Critics said kidnappers could circumvent the device easily.

"My big concern is that kidnappers will simply use 'high-tech' tools like knives to get rid of them," said Lauren Weinstein, creator of the Privacy Forum, an online digest related to privacy and technology issues.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center also has warned that inserting a type of LoJack into children and workers to track their movements could violate their civil liberties.

Solusat began selling VeriChip -- which is similar to the biochips used to track cattle and lost pets -- in Mexico in July; it's been sold in the United States since October 2002.

The VeriChip is injected under the skin of the upper arm or hip in an outpatient procedure. A special scanner reads the RF signal emitted by the microchip to obtain the device's ID number, which then is entered into a database to access personal data about the individual. Other potential uses of the chip, according to company officials, include scanning unconscious patients to obtain their medical records or restricting access to high-security buildings by scanning workers to verify their clearance.

Gatita
05-01-2005, 03:02 PM
As always someone sticks his foot in his mouth!
How does it taste?

ididnotnothat
05-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Okay, so how many guys or gals would still marry their fiance after a disappearing act like this?

I see them on some TV court show fighting over the costs of the wedding that never was. Plus all the dough coughed up by the brides maids and groomsmen.

Sounds like she was marrying into a mighty well to do family too.

The wedding in only postponed? WTF!?

Clandestino
05-01-2005, 03:13 PM
As always someone sticks his foot in his mouth!
How does it taste?

where does it actually say that are putting them into children? it doesn't. the aclu will be all over this shit.

Gatita
05-01-2005, 03:31 PM
We don't know everything that goes on in this country or other countries for that matter. Not everything is reported or told.

Frankly, I don't care. Calling another individual names to get your point or lack thereof, across is not right. But, it is a free country... do as you wish. If it makes you feel superior.

Not everyone is going to agree with your opinions. I now know how you work around here.

I'll just stay away.

Clandestino
05-01-2005, 06:19 PM
We don't know everything that goes on in this country or other countries for that matter. Not everything is reported or told.

Frankly, I don't care. Calling another individual names to get your point or lack thereof, across is not right. But, it is a free country... do as you wish. If it makes you feel superior.

Not everyone is going to agree with your opinions. I now know how you work around here.

I'll just stay away.

if you don't care then why comment?

Useruser666
05-01-2005, 10:55 PM
The chips DO NOT have GPS inside of them.

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
clandestino--

while i may not agree with what you are saying, i will defend to the death your right to say it

what branch of service are you currently in or were in?

Flea
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Okay, so how many guys or gals would still marry their fiance after a disappearing act like this?

I see them on some TV court show fighting over the costs of the wedding that never was. Plus all the dough coughed up by the brides maids and groomsmen.

Sounds like she was marrying into a mighty well to do family too.

The wedding in only postponed? WTF!?

The wedding would be OFF!! It's one thing to have cold feet but to be so dishonest about it all......why would anyone want to marry a sneaky liar?

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
i want to see here in a crazy or in jail for a bit.. even if just for one day...

DULUTH, Ga. - A jilted groom and a town full of puzzled friends and relatives may not be all that Jennifer Wilbanks faces, as authorities weighed the evidence and the legal issues on Monday to determine whether she should be charged with a crime.

Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter promised to look into whether Wilbanks, 32, violated the law by falsely reporting a crime.

Wilbanks, who had vanished Tuesday after saying she was going out jogging, initially told authorities she was abducted. But she later admitted she took a cross-country bus trip to Las Vegas, Nev., to avoid her lavish, 600-guest wedding, which had been set for Saturday, and then went on to Albuquerque, N.M.

Porter said Wilbanks could face a misdemeanor charge of false report of a crime or a felony charge of false statements. The misdemeanor carries a penalty of up to a year in jail; five years in prison is the maximum sentence for the felony.

"If there's criminal responsibility, that's something I have to do something about," Porter said. "I think it's really going to depend on the circumstances on how this was done."

Porter said he would speak to police in Albuquerque, where Wilbanks called her fiance, John Mason, and police on Friday and reported that she had been kidnapped.

In addition to the potential for criminal charges, Duluth Mayor Shirley Lasseter said she is looking into the possibility of suing Wilbanks to recover the cost of the search that was mounted after her disappearance. Lasseter estimated the cost at $100,000.

"We feel a tad betrayed and some are very hurt about it," the mayor said.

The mayor said city officials would like to hear from Wilbanks' family to see if "we should work with this lady on some recourse other than legally."

Appearing Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Porter said authorities have evidence that Wilbanks' disappearance "was not just a spur of the moment thing." He noted that she had cut her hair and said there was evidence she bought the bus ticket ahead of time and secretly set aside cash.

"I will make the decision as far as whether or not I can legally do it today," Porter told NBC's "Today."

Despite angry calls from some residents, authorities in Albuquerque said they had no plans to charge Wilbanks, though they didn't rule out the possibility entirely.

"We have discretion. We are human beings. We have feelings and we are professional at the same time," said Albuquerque police spokeswoman Trish Ahrensfield.

Authorities in Albuquerque befriended the woman. Wilbanks boarded an airline flight home wearing a new FBI hat, blazer, polo shirt and pants and carrying a new tote bag and teddy bear, a gift from the aviation police chief. She flew first-class — on a ticket bought by her parents — and said she planned to name the bear "Al," for Albuquerque.

"Law enforcement is really making a major move to deal with people in crisis," Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schulz said Sunday. "Miss Wilbanks was definitely a person in crisis."

But in Georgia, the Gwinnett County district attorney noted that vast law-enforcement resources were used to look for the missing bride for more than three days.

As for whether she needs help instead of court action, Porter told NBC, "You weigh that in the sentencing. I may agree she doesn't deserve prison time, but you can't force someone to get help unless you get them under the control of the court, or force them to pay for the police resources unless you get them under the control of the court. There is a big difference about what will happen in the end and the decision to charge."

Porter said he had no jurisdiction over the woman's initial 911 call in Albuquerque, in which she said she was kidnapped by a man and a woman in their 40s who were driving a blue van. Through sobs, she told the dispatcher they had a handgun. But Porter said Wilbanks could be charged for reporting her kidnapping story by phone to Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher.