PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Hill, Mason boost Parker-less Spurs

duncan228
01-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Hill, Mason boost Parker-less Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Hill_Mason_boost_Parker-less_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald

Roger Mason Jr. spent most of last summer in Miami, which was no day at the beach. He worked with a personal trainer, hired at his own expense, waiting for his moment to come.

At about the same time, 1,200 miles away in his hometown of Indianapolis, George Hill also was working out, and also waiting.

When their moments converged Friday night at the AT&T Center, with Tony Parker out and the Spurs needing to win anyway, both players were prepared.

Hill had 18 points and five assists while starting at the point, while the inconsistently used Mason provided 17 points and a huge fourth-quarter boost as the Spurs outlasted Memphis 104-97.

“You've just got to stay ready,” Mason said. “Injuries are a part of the game. We've got more opportunity out there. You have to try to capitalize.”

With the young and surging Grizzlies threatening late, Mason did the capitalizing. He had 11 points — and three of his four 3-pointers — during a 41/2-minute stretch of the fourth that helped the Spurs finally silence Memphis.

Hill capitalized, too. He slid from shooting guard to Parker's point guard slot, replacing him in the lineup and in the box score.

“Tony's aggressive, so we have to make up for that aggressiveness,” Hill said. “Without Tony, my main focus was to try to be aggressive, try to get people involved and play basketball.”

Tim Duncan had 19 points and nine rebounds to lead the Spurs, who survived O.J. Mayo's 28-point onslaught to win their second in a row.

The victory, which came nearly two weeks after the up-and-coming Grizzlies (25-20) had bounced them in Memphis, helped the Spurs (27-18) continue to right themselves after an 0-3 start to the homestand. That it came with Parker sidelined served only as icing.

“It's important with him out that everyone picks up their game,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “Especially at the offensive end.”

As he worked out in Miami months ago, honing his point guard skills and his defensive chops, Mason figured there would be more moments like Friday. He had played well last season, his first with the Spurs, and naturally expected an enhanced role this season.

Instead, Mason has found himself in the job once inhabited by Brent Barry — the sharpshooting perimeter player whose minutes swing like a pendulum. He's averaged about 19 minutes this season, down from 30, and has had trouble falling into a groove.

Making matters worse, Mason is in a contract year.

“I'd be lying if I said it's not tough,” Mason said. “I look at it as a challenge. There's not many guys in the league that can play well in those circumstances. I'm just looking to do what I can.”

Logging some time behind Hill at point Friday, Mason found his way to 27:49 of playing time — his longest stint in nearly a month. He came up biggest in crunch time, unleashing the kind of blink-and-you'll-miss-it flurry that seemed to define his first season in San Antonio.

Friday, Mason's shooting display was part of a 42-21 edge in bench scoring the Spurs enjoyed.

“This team was built for depth,” Mason said. “A guy goes out, other guys have to step up.”

Unlike Mason, Hill — a second-year player — has been a fixture in the rotation for much of the season. Still, Parker's absence altered his responsibilities, too.

Hill had logged many of his minutes lately next to Parker at shooting guard, rather than behind him. That role changed with a roll of Parker's ankle Wednesday against Atlanta.

He responded against Memphis with a Parker-like game and an uncommon poise.

“He's still a young player, who is getting more and more aggressive,” Popovich said.

The seeds for Friday's victory were not sown overnight. They were planted in Miami and in Indianapolis, months before, with a pair of second-year Spurs separately working, and waiting for a moment.

arodz
01-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Now if we can just convince Pop to play Ratliff ANY minutes.

Ginobilly
01-30-2010, 01:25 AM
I know some will disagree with me, but I like how this team looks better when Parker is not playing(uh er starting). It seems that there is more movement and everybody looks more lively out there. Maybe we should start Manu, Hill, Jefferson, Mcdyess, and Duncan, then have Parker come in as the dynamic six man?

Ice009
01-30-2010, 01:29 AM
I know some will disagree with me, but I like how this team looks when Parker is not playing. It seems that there is more movement and everybody looks more lively out there. Maybe we should start Manu, Hill, Jefferson, Mcdyess, and Duncan, then have Parker come in as the dynamic six man?

Again most people would say that is not on, but that reminded me what I wanted to do when Parker came back last time from injury. I wanted to start Hill for a few more games even when TP came back so he can get back into rhythm in his own time rather than have to go full speed at the start of the game.

Ginobilly
01-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Again most people would say that is not on, but that reminded me what I wanted to do when Parker came back last time from injury. I wanted to start Hill for a few more games even when TP came back so he can get back into rhythm in his own time rather than have to go full speed at the start of the game.

Call me crazy but it just might work to potentially bring the Spurs back into championship shape. Start Manu(Let him play his balls to the wall style of play to start and set the tone of the game, since this is maybe his last contract), but bring Parker off the bench so he can provide that energy and scoring that Manu usually brings.

pawe
01-30-2010, 02:07 AM
I still believe in the philosophy of playing the best 5 players first then insert the bench to give the starters a rest.
TP is not a bench player, he's best if he runs the show.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2010, 02:10 AM
It has very little to do with Parker..

This game and the last game vs. Atlanta were the 2 best efforts I've seen from this team this season..we got a good performance from pretty much everybody, including RJ and Dice..they were moving the ball well in both of these games..

Before Tony went out with the injury, he had 8 assists and the Spurs had a big lead..apparently some people choose to ignore this..

ffadicted
01-30-2010, 02:14 AM
Goddamn it RMJ needs more time on the court, I do'nt understand pop's love for Bogans. I mean, I know he plays tough D, but the guy's more inconsistant then any player on the roster, and when his shot isn't going he's got nothing. RMJ is a better shooter, driver and playmaker, and although his D isn't as good, it's still serviceable. When you put it all together, RMJ should get the nod, I don't understand Pop's thinking on this one

5in10
01-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Goddamn it RMJ needs more time on the court, I do'nt understand pop's love for Bogans. I mean, I know he plays tough D, but the guy's more inconsistant then any player on the roster, and when his shot isn't going he's got nothing. RMJ is a better shooter, driver and playmaker, and although his D isn't as good, it's still serviceable. When you put it all together, RMJ should get the nod, I don't understand Pop's thinking on this one

perfectly said.

Ice009
01-30-2010, 03:25 AM

It's been very annoying the last week or two watching Bogans suck and Roger Mason Jr. getting no court time at all until the 4th quarter when he comes in and starts hitting shots that help bring us back into the game.

BOHOLANO#21
01-30-2010, 08:15 AM
It's been very annoying the last week or two watching Bogans suck and Roger Mason Jr. getting no court time at all until the 4th quarter when he comes in and starts hitting shots that help bring us back into the game.
I quit figuring out popovich this season. I agree rmj has been playing well but dickhead coach has finley like love for bogans...

Bruno
01-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Being deep is great but there is a point when you are too deep and managing players becomes difficult. Some of these players become out of shape, out of rhythm or unhappy because they don't play enough.

With Ginobili, Jefferson, Bogans, Finley, Mason and a little of Hill, Spurs are too deep at SG/SF. They haven't really faced that problem for the moment because of injuries but in one week everybody should be healthy. A team like Orlando is too deep at PF/C and it isn't easy to manage, Spurs should soon face that dilemma.

If Spurs don't clear that logjam with a trade and if players stay healthy, Pop will have to use all his experience to avoid troubles.

lurker23
01-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Being deep is great but there is a point when you are too deep and managing players becomes difficult. Some of these players become out of shape, out of rhythm or unhappy because they don't play enough.

With Ginobili, Jefferson, Bogans, Finley, Mason and a little of Hill, Spurs are too deep at SG/SF. They haven't really faced that problem for the moment because of injuries but in one week everybody should be healthy. A team like Orlando is too deep at PF/C and it isn't easy to manage, Spurs should soon face that dilemma.

If Spurs don't clear that logjam with a trade and if players stay healthy, Pop will have to use all his experience to avoid troubles.

I agree, it could potentially be a problem. The big wrench in this whole issue has to be Michael Finley. When he comes back fully healthy, will Pop be able to resist playing him extended minutes? Logic says yes, experience says no. Past issues with Finley aside, he has to be considered the swingman most likely to be traded. If Finley gets traded away for a big, and Hairston doesn't get thrown into the rotation (unlikely that he will), then a lot of the problems will be solved.

Some posters have begun to claim that Bogans is Pop's new project at this position; a lot of that stems from the lack of playing time for RMJ. If RMJ continues to produce, Hill continues to progress defensively, and Bogans continues to regress defensively, then a Jefferson/Ginobili/Hill/RMJ rotation come playoff time could work quite nicely and not be very bogged down at all.

wildbill2u
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM
I still believe in the philosophy of playing the best 5 players first then insert the bench to give the starters a rest.

:toast WORD!

Name any other team in history of ANY sport that played one of their best three players off the bench.

Many teams have had 'sparkplugs' off the bench in basketball and that's why there is a 6th Man award, but come on Pop, don't go against the collected wisdom of all the NBA coaches just because you have a kooky idea.

pjjrfan
01-30-2010, 10:52 AM

This game and the last game vs. Atlanta were the 2 best efforts I've seen from this team this season..we got a good performance from pretty much everybody, including RJ and Dice..they were moving the ball well in both of these games..

Before Tony went out with the injury, he had 8 assists and the Spurs had a big lead..apparently some people choose to ignore this..

I agree.

spurtech09
01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Ian than theo

SpurNation
01-30-2010, 10:13 PM

This is a good point.

But I remember in another thread I expected better defense and ball movement with Tony out.

That was proven in the Memphis game.

If it happens again...perhaps it is more than just a coincidence.

I would accept a trade of Tony Parker for (insert athletic big) in a heartbeat.

pawe
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
You would think Pop would play Mason more minutes because Mason does not shy away from shooting the 3 unlike some people there..yeah, im looking at you Bonner.

Deadeye RMJ is my favorite Spur and I hope his play can pursuade Pop to slash off minutes from Bogans (only when Bogans is sucking on defense).

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
The obvious problem with playing Mason is his lack of D..yes, he's gotten better defensively and he's not necessarily a liability anymore, but he's still an average defender at best..combine that with RJ, a guy that is also an average defender..if Jefferson continues to play better defensively, maybe that will open up more minutes for Mason, but I wouldn't count on Jefferson becoming a consistent defender..

Bogans is an above average defender, so it's natural to play him..

If the Spurs acquire a big like Haywood or Camby, it could allow them to play a weaker defender like Mason on the perimeter, since he would have legit backup behind him with Timmy..

As of right now, we don't have enough support on D to get away with Mason playing extended minutes IMO..

Sean Cagney
01-30-2010, 10:50 PM

BOGANS GOOD D is not near enough to make up for what he doesn't do on O, he is flat out horrible out there! He plays GOOD D yes, but not Bowen great to where he can shut someone down and not score and still have a huge impact on the game. Mason is alot better than he is, if Pop is going to play someone I would rather it be Mase than Bogans anyday.

BTW I have no understood Pops thinking on rotations and small ball for yearsr now :lmao:lmao, it is like he wants us to lose some games.

barbacoataco
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
The obvious problem with playing Mason is his lack of D..yes, he's gotten better defensively and he's not necessarily a liability anymore, but he's still an average defender at best..combine that with RJ, a guy that is also an average defender..if Jefferson continues to play better defensively, maybe that will open up more minutes for Mason, but I wouldn't count on Jefferson becoming a consistent defender..

Bogans is an above average defender, so it's natural to play him..

If the Spurs acquire a big like Haywood or Camby, it could allow them to play a weaker defender like Mason on the perimeter, since he would have legit backup behind him with Timmy..

As of right now, we don't have enough support on D to get away with Mason playing extended minutes IMO..

This is spot on. When it became obvious earlier in the season that RJ couldn't guard the other team's best perimeter scorer (Bowen replacement) they had to play Bogans. You can't be championship contender or even win that much if you can't at least slightly slow down your opponent's stud player. A backcourt defense of RJ, Mason and Parker will not cut it against the best teams.

Also true that if the Spurs had more shotblocking presence they could get away with playing a little weaker perimeter defenders.

TJastal
01-31-2010, 09:25 AM

I don't think anyone cares about your philosophy.