PDA

View Full Version : Previous Spur Anthony Tolliver

draft87
01-30-2010, 08:40 AM
This is a little shout out to a former Spur, Anthony Tolliver. I'm happy to see he's getting a chance to play for Golden State. This summer if you said to me, "Anthony Tolliver's done in the NBA" I'd believe you. I'm not saying he's a mega-talent and we should have kept him. I'm just appreciating a former Spur and wishing him luck in his career.
---------------------

You guys probably noticed the stint Anthony Tolliver had with Portland earlier this season and unfortunately, even with Portland's depleted frontline, AT got waived as they instead waited for the rookie/sophs to heal.

Tolliver never got it going last season, there wasn't much of a chance. I thought he had a chance to be another floor spreading big, even bigger than Bonner and maybe tougher on D and the boards but I wasn't surprised that he was waived.

I really thought all those injuries to the Blazers was Tolliver's chance but I was totally wrong. But I didn't noticed Golden State picked him up until last week. .... and I still haven't looked too much into it, he may have just joined them last week.

Anyway, I think this is the best situation for him. Don Nelson is notorious for mishandling bigs and Golden State's Front Office seems to not know how to acquire them as well. But I remember Tolliver shooting long distance and having decent athletic ability. That is exactly what Golden State goes for and Tolliver's size should be a keepable asset for them given the amount of injuries and poor play happening for the Warriors.

Tolliver's put up some stats and gotten decent minutes. Last night he even got a starting spot at power forward and posted 13 pts/ 6 rb in 27 minutes.

Best wishes to Anthony Tolliver. He may be on a hopeless team but the minutes are a blessing on his career.

wildbill2u
01-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Sometimes it takes a while for a player to find the team where he fits. Ref. Bruce Bowen.

Let's pull for Anthony as a former Spur to find his niche.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Tolliver is a guard in a forward's body. He's made for Nelson's system, which is probably why Pop had such a crush on him. I'm glad he's not a Spur.

timtonymanu
01-30-2010, 09:07 AM
7.8 points, 5.3 rebounds a game. Proud of Tolliver and hope he stays in the NBA. He's a good kid.

draft87
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
He's made for Nelson's system, which is probably why Pop had such a crush on him. I'm glad he's not a Spur.

is this another knock on Pop being an idiot?

Bruno
01-30-2010, 09:56 AM
He is on his second 10 days contract. The difficult step is to be signed for the reminder of the season after that second 10 days contract. We will see what will Warriors choice. He seems to do well even if he is hitting only 15% of his 3's.

elbamba
01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Tolliver is a guard in a forward's body. He's made for Nelson's system, which is probably why Pop had such a crush on him. I'm glad he's not a Spur.

I too am glad for the man, but you can never take a Nelson player and believe that they are as quite gifted a scorer as they appear.

exstatic
01-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I too am glad for the man, but you can never take a Nelson player and believe that they are as quite gifted a scorer as they appear.

Warriors and Suns players are ALWAYS over rated.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
is this another knock on Pop being an idiot?

I don't know. If it makes Pop look like an idiot I don't really have any control over that. Tolliver was a big who didn't play like a big who hit an unusually high percentage of three pointers during summer league which was enough to buoy him throughout preseason and get him a spot on the team while the Spurs sent James Gist to Europe and probably passed on other prospects at that position that were better rebounders and/or defenders.

There's no doubt Pop had a crush on him, and I simply guessed that maybe it's because Tolliver's a guy who can flourish in a Nelson system. If so, good for him. I personally don't think he's very good, so I'm glad he's not our problem anymore.

SenorSpur
01-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Perhaps Pop thought of Tolliver as Bonner 2.0

BackHome
01-31-2010, 01:10 AM
I am not to sure but I remember him playing very good in the summer league but when he he started training camp I belive he had a death in the family....that can kinda mess you up...

slick'81
01-31-2010, 03:27 AM
in nelsons system he has a chance to put up stats glad hes doing well

Obstructed_View
01-31-2010, 04:06 AM
I am not to sure but I remember him playing very good in the summer league but when he he started training camp I belive he had a death in the family....that can kinda mess you up...

He had a stretch during summer league where he hit a number of threes in a row, something he'd never done before or since. He lost a parent I think during camp and was allowed to take care of his business. If the Spurs erred in keeping him on the roster to give him a little extra time to prove himself, that's an error I can live with, because it's something good people do.