PDA

View Full Version : Apple comes clean with no flash support for iPad

DMX7
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/30/apple-excises-the-false-flash-in-its-ipad-promo-video/

It's not every day we get a nice, humble confession of fault from Apple, but it looks like the marketing department has seen the light on those overly optimistic web browsing mockups depicting Flash in "action" on the new Flash-free tablet device. Now the iPad promo video has been reworked to flaunt what we're coming to know as the Blue Lego Block of Ambiguity™ in sections of sites that would traditionally be populated by highly stimulating Adobe Flash-based content. It's not pretty, and it solves none of the other issues at hand with Apple's continued avoidance of Flash on its iPhone OS, but at least it's true.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/ipad-flash-blue-block-promo-1.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
75% sure this thing flops

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
this wont last long

ChumpDumper
01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
My girlfriend's netbook runs flash.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
this is Apple's Vista. :lmao

what also get's me is no cd/dvd drive, no usb, no firewire. nothing. it literally is a big button iphone. an iphone for the vison impaired. some company out there better capitalize off this joke.

exstatic
01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Flash can be used for apps. Kinda negates the whole "app store" money train.

leemajors
01-30-2010, 07:02 PM
75% sure this thing flops

Apple knows their customers, doubtful. People lined up for $600 iPhones. Not saying this will sell anywhere near that, but it will sell well. The sooner Flash dies, the better imo. Slow, bloated resource hog. HTML5 is much faster, supports audio/video and does not need additional plugins to run. Adoption will probably be slow though.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Sure, but it's nice to have the option for the thousands of websites that currently use flash.

DMX7
01-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Sure, but it's nice to have the option for the thousands of websites that currently use flash.

Exactly, it's a deal breaker to me. This means you can't even watch Hulu. That $500 iPad is already getting expensiver.

leemajors
01-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Exactly, it's a deal breaker to me. This means you can't even watch Hulu. That $500 iPad is already getting expensiver.

You're not gooing to be able to watch hulu free much longer anyway. Just download h264 rips and you're good to go

IronMexican
01-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Hulu is going to be a thing of the past once it starts charging. Torrents and direct download sites(MU, RS, etc...) have episodes the day after they air now.

sabar
01-31-2010, 01:39 AM
You're not gooing to be able to watch hulu free much longer anyway. Just download h264 rips and you're good to go

Still thousands of flash websites minus one.

Apple will be fine, but tablet innovation will take a giant step... nowhere. A regular tablet PC does more. HP Slate will probably actually innovate in some direction instead of making an ipod for the vision impaired.

DMX7
01-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Still thousands of flash websites minus one.

Apple will be fine, but tablet innovation will take a giant step... nowhere. A regular tablet PC does more. HP Slate will probably actually innovate in some direction instead of making an ipod for the vision impaired.

At 3 or 4 times the cost though.

leemajors
01-31-2010, 11:51 AM
I was way more disappointed in the lack of HD out, whether in the form of HDMI or mini Display port. Part of the reason the Apple TV failed, outside of not supporting multiple codecs. Those things were sweet once you got Boxee installed on them.

Scola
01-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Its pretty much a tablet pc without any of the good features, no real keyboard, no 3rd party software available, can't run several programs, no flash, etc. Only Mac fanboys will be willing to pay that much for it.

BTW what do you guys watch on Hulu?

koriwhat
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Its pretty much a tablet pc without any of the good features, no real keyboard, no 3rd party software available, can't run several programs, no flash, etc. Only Mac fanboys will be willing to pay that much for it.

BTW what do you guys watch on Hulu?

i wont get one and really could care less for a giant iphone.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2010, 06:15 PM
I just don't get the advantadge this thing would have over any netbook.

Heath Ledger
01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Apple has no interest in allowing flash because app developers would bypass the App store and Apple would lose a shit ton of revenue/profit. The deal break for me is no webcam for a part that cost $8-$10 at most I think they easily just lost 30-40 percent of interest in this product.

Regarding the "no real keyboard" there is an external keyboard addon that will be available. I will wait til gen 2 or 3 before i buy this when they do have a camera. Im guessing this thing will get jailbroken and multitasking will be possible.

Dex
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
The deal break for me is no webcam for a part that cost $8-$10 at most I think they easily just lost 30-40 percent of interest in this product.

I've been waiting for Apple to integrate the camera into the iPod Touch for like three generations now. I feel like as soon as I upgrade mine, the new iPod Camera or some bullshit will hit the market.

But my speculation is that they are holding out on that so that it doesn't persuade sales away from the iPhone and AT&T.

I drink the Apple koolaid, but I know they're a business just like everyone else. They're looking out for the almighty dollar, and they know how to get it.

HP/Dell/Compaq/etc. are no better. They may offer cheaper prices and quicker replacements and all that jazz, but that's because they outsource everything from parts to production to support, so the cost per unit for them is more negligible than Apple which works with specific manufacturers and keeps all the software and hardware in house.

InRareForm
02-01-2010, 12:01 AM
fuk apple