PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ship righted, Spurs on even keel

duncan228
01-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Ship righted, Spurs on even keel (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Ship_righted_Spurs_on_even_keel.html)
Jeff McDonald

Unlike the majority of their fan base, the Spurs did not fall into full-scale, freak-out mode when they lost three games in a row at home earlier this month.

Now that they've stopped the skid with back-to-back quality victories over Atlanta and Memphis, the Spurs aren't exactly crowing about turning a corner, either.

If nothing else, they've learned over the past few games the fine line between winning and losing.

“There's going to be ups and downs, smiles and frowns,” forward Richard Jefferson said. “When we were struggling, we weren't shooting the ball particularly well, but we weren't getting blown out. We were in every single game. It was coming down to one or two shots here and there that we weren't making.”

If the Spurs were inclined to rest on their laurels, today's opponent should put a quick end to that urge.

At 31-15, Denver owns the second-best record in the Western Conference, behind only the Lakers, and has already beaten the Spurs at the AT&T Center once this season. With or without NBA scoring leader Carmelo Anthony, who has missed three games with an ankle sprain, the Nuggets pose a tough test.

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. called talk of his team completely righting the ship “premature.”

“We're getting wins, we're trying to correct a lot of the things that we've done, but we've got a long way to go,” Mason said. “We're not fooling ourselves.”

Sayonara Spurs: Today's game marks the Spurs' final game of a six-game homestand leading into the annual rodeo road trip, which opens Wednesday at Sacramento.

A victory would give the Spurs a split of the homestand after an 0-3 start.

“We want to get rolling a little bit so that once we get to that road trip, we'll be ready,” Mason said.

Passing Manu: While he waits to rediscover his shooting stroke, Manu Ginobili has found other ways to contribute on offense.

Ginobili is shooting 39.4 percent, a career low, and is averaging 12.9 points, his fewest since his second NBA season, but his assist numbers are at an all-time high. He is averaging 4.5 per game, matching the career best set in 2007-08.

“I don't know what's happening this year, but I'm finding people better,” Ginobili said. “I really enjoy it. I really don't mind scoring less if I can get everybody involved and make everybody happy.”

Finley active, inert: Michael Finley was in uniform Friday against Memphis for the first time since spraining his ankle Dec. 5 against Denver. He replaced the newly injured Tony Parker on the active list, but did not enter the game.

Brazil
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Ship righted, Spurs on even keel (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Ship_righted_Spurs_on_even_keel.html)
Jeff McDonald

Unlike the majority of their fan base, the Spurs did not fall into full-scale, freak-out mode when they lost three games in a row at home earlier this month.

Jeff is reading ST

MaNu4Tres
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Jeff is reading ST

No way...

Obstructed_View
01-31-2010, 12:09 AM
“There's going to be ups and downs, smiles and frowns,” forward Richard Jefferson said. “When we were struggling, we weren't shooting the ball particularly well, but we weren't getting blown out. We were in every single game. It was coming down to one or two shots here and there that we weren't making.”

Damn, Rich, if only you guys had taken a few more threes. :bang

Obstructed_View
01-31-2010, 12:23 AM
In addition, while both wins were good wins, they're going to have to sustain the energy they've shown for a while to prove that it wasn't just a combination of adrenaline and desperation after a three game losing streak and the loss of Tony Parker to injury.

benefactor
01-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Jeff is reading ST
lol...I thought the same thing.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not he does though. On one hand, he does say a lot of stuff that mirrors things on here...but on the other hand he is still making plenty of mistakes in his articles even though we point them out on the regular.

5in10
01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Damn, Rich, if only you guys had taken a few more threes. :bang

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Frenzy
01-31-2010, 01:07 AM
but we weren't getting blown out. We were in every single game. It was coming down to one or two shots here and there that we weren't making.”

that's what hurts the most :bang

Man In Black
01-31-2010, 02:52 AM

Or, if he had the right mindset, he could have said it like this,"We were in every single game. It was coming down to one or two STOPS here and there that we weren't making."

BillMc
01-31-2010, 05:56 AM
or, if he had the right mindset, he could have said it like this,"we were in every single game. It was coming down to one or two stops here and there that we weren't making."

+1000000

SpurNation
01-31-2010, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't say the ship is on even keel just yet...but it at least kept from sinking further.

The storms ahead for this season are rougher than the calmer seas they have been sailing thus far this season.

The upcoming schedule is brutal.

TJastal
01-31-2010, 09:16 AM
“I don't know what's happening this year, but I'm finding people better,” Ginobili said. “I really enjoy it. I really don't mind scoring less if I can get everybody involved and make everybody happy.”

This quote put a BIG smile on my face this morning.

:elephant

Agloco
01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. called talk of his team completely righting the ship “premature.”

“We're getting wins, we're trying to correct a lot of the things that we've done, but we've got a long way to go,” Mason said. “We're not fooling ourselves.”

This.

ShoogarBear
01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Or, if he had the right mindset, he could have said it like this,"We were in every single game. It was coming down to one or two STOPS here and there that we weren't making."

:tu

Death In June
01-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Ship righted? Good call, McDonald.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Spurs boat re-capsizes.