PDA

View Full Version : Article: Pop rethinks Gasol Deal

SpurNation
01-31-2010, 06:31 AM
It still significantly shifted the balance of the western conference at the time and Pop had every right to voice his concerns when it happened but...here's this article -

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jan/29/popovich-re-thinks-pau-deal/

SAN ANTONIO -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich still believes the Grizzlies changed the landscape of the Western Conference for the foreseeable future.

Once a major critic of the February 2008 decision to trade Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers, Popovich now concedes Memphis also made out good in the deal.

"They gave up a great player but it helped them extend the franchise's success into the future," Popovich said. "It's shown that they've done a good job. Whatever they were thinking a couple of iterations ahead at the time has paid off for them."

Popovich's immediate reaction to the Gasol deal wasn't as kind.
Popovich, who also serves as the Spurs' president of basketball operations, called the trade that sent Gasol to the Lakers for draft picks and salary-cap flexibility an incomprehensible deal.

The Griz received Kwame Brown, rookie Javaris Crittenton, the rights to Marc Gasol and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," Popovich said at the time. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

What Popovich -- or no one -- could forecast is that Marc Gasol would evolve into a top NBA center, and the Griz could eventually use money under the salary-cap to acquire Zach Randolph in a trade.

Randolph is the only Western Conference player averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds. He was named a Western Conference All-Star for the first time in his nine-year career Thursday when the coaches voted him in as a reserve.

The Gasol trade was frowned upon nationally and locally in part because the Grizzlies' benefits would be seen over time.

"When you make decisions you try to make them good," Popovich said. "Obviously, the decision they (the Grizzlies) made then has served them well in the future, which is now."

Tip-ins: Popovich wouldn't reveal how he voted for the Western Conference all-star reserves. But he said Randolph was a deserving selection based on the Grizzlies' success. Said Popovich: "He's the biggest change in that franchise. He and Lionel (Hollins). They've changed them into a team that can win every single night no matter who they play." ... Marc Gasol celebrated his 25th birthday Friday. ... Randolph on what he plans to do with his roughly $330,000 bonus for making the All-Star team: "It's going in the bank. I wish it was more."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

Fabbs
01-31-2010, 08:11 AM
:lmao
Pop also said he will continue to go into the fetal position whenever facing Phil Jackson and the Lakers "because it's the right thing to do".

Look, true the Memphis trade is not as disastrous as it seemed originally, but make no mistake it was collusion all the way and to say that is anywhere close to the best deal Memphis could have gotten along with Memphis even listening to other offers is pure b.s.

SpurNation
01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
I just saw this same article posted in the nba forum. Sorry for the repeat.

Fabbs
01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Oh it's Spurs news for sure.
I think its fine here too.

SenorSpur
01-31-2010, 10:14 AM
I admire Pop coming around on that trade - even though it still stinks. However, I always thought it was way out of character for Pop to have commented on that trade in the first place. It was sort of a "sour grapes" attitude that he normally doesn't exhibit. He likes to preach a "no excuses" philosophy to his team. Perhaps he should've followed his own advice and kept his initial thoughts to himself.

SequSpur
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Pop doesn't get it...He needs to stfu and change his own team to stay on top. Tough shit...Lakers did what they did...

It's quite simple...get a big or two that can take up space and help stop the layup drills aka Rasho/Nazr...whatever...and the Spurs would be fine....

Pop is a tool.

Twisted_Dawg
01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
:lmao
Pop also said he will continue to go into the fetal position whenever facing Phil Jackson and the Lakers "because it's the right thing to do".

Look, true the Memphis trade is not as disastrous as it seemed originally, but make no mistake it was collusion all the way and to say that is anywhere close to the best deal Memphis could have gotten along with Memphis even listening to other offers is pure b.s.

Absolutely it was collusion by the league,Lakers and Memphis with a wink from the TV networks (and its sponsors Nike, et al) to move Pau Gasol to LA improve LA. Recall Kobe laughingly called it a "donation".

Just because Marc Gasol unexpectantly worked out for Memphis does not legitimize the trade.

This is just Pop's mea culpa since he doesn't like to ever rock the established powers.

The Truth #6
01-31-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't understand this vast conspiracy theory. Did Dr. Buss send some money under the table? Quite possibly. But I don't know about some secret cabal of David Stern, Bob Costas, Marv Albert, and Phil Knight. That seems silly.

21_Blessings
01-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Bitter Spurs fans parroting Pop like little poodles.

Gasol was on the trade block for OVER A FUCKING YEAR. Collusion my ass. The deal does not go down without M. Gasol in the package. It's a fact. Memphis had scouted him plenty as he was Pau's brother. It was a no brainer for them.

doobs
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Poodles parrot?

exstatic
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Gasol was on the trade block for OVER A FUCKING YEAR. Collusion my ass. The deal does not go down without M. Gasol in the package. It's a fact. Memphis had scouted him plenty as he was Pau's brother. It was a no brainer for them.

Uh, Chicago offered MUCH more talent for him.

Man In Black
01-31-2010, 02:21 PM

Collusion is a valid point. When there are other teams who offered players who could have helped the Memphis Then & Now but were told flat out that Pau was off the block, only to watch him go to LA the next day for a THEN-package less than other offers already made...well, that could be seen as collusion.

But of course, you won't say it LAL fan...you guys are real good at missing the most simple of tenets.

xXx
01-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Randolph is the only Western Conference player averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds.

lol
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130242

props to the guy that got it right about Randolph.

Not so much. You have outside scorers in Gay and Mayo, and you have a defender in Thabeet, but who is going to be the go to guy in the low post? Gasol is alright, but not a 20-10 guy. And Memphis is the one team who can take the risk with Randolph as his contract expires the same time as Mayo.

I agree that the Clippers get the better end of the deal contract wise, but Z-Bo is still a solid player, and his jail blazer days were a few years ago. Some Knicks were sad to see him go until they realized that they had a better shot at LeBron with him gone.