PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we get over the hump in any situation this year?

ffadicted
01-31-2010, 03:26 PM
It seemed like in past year, every close game late would go our way, we'd perform down the stretch, make the stops needed and pull out the W. This season is the exact opposite. If we're down in crunch time, you just KNOW we're going to lose the game. We don't make the shots, don't make the plays, can't make the stops, and choke completely. And it's not even in games, it's overall too. We get close to the division leader and 2nd seed, then lose a string of games....

We'll never make a deep play off run like this, and much less make it to the finals. We're on pace to win 48 games, the least in quite a fucking while, with possibly the deepest roster we've had in the TD era, and I'm pointing towards this as one of the biggest problems.

What can the spurs do to fix this? Trade suggestions are not welcome, spurs aren't gonna do that and everybody knows it.

Amarelooms
01-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Mediocrity...:elephant

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-31-2010, 03:27 PM

crc21209
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Your one word replies with the stupid dancing elephant shouldnt even be counted toward your post count...it's pathetic..

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2010, 03:30 PM
The Spurs can't get any stops ALL game, so I wouldn't expect them to be able to make stops when it matters..

A trade is the ONLY solution, and even that might not be enough..

GrandeDavid
01-31-2010, 03:32 PM
I must say I agree with you. I just got home, logged into NBA.com League Pass Broadband, saw the Spurs down by 6 with a couple minutes left and knew they had loss. And I say this not in a sour manner, but just I felt that the Spurs would need a miracle to pull out a win down 6 AT HOME against Denver.

I knew the Spurs had lost. They just don't have the guns to gut out victory in the clutch. Guys are either gassed and throwing bricks, getting sloppy with their passes, not getting breaks on calls. Its just...wait, its an EVEN year.

Seriously, this has been just one frustrating season, one terrible disappointment and this team has zero clutch factor. If they do score down the stretch, then expect them to miss free throws. Always shooting themselves in the foot. Or leaving Kenyon Martin or J.R. Smith wide, wide open. Lame. This is just lame, lame, lame.

Jason R
We're old and lack energy. Manu can't get his legs for threes, TP is slower because of his ankle, our paint defenders don't rotate quickly enough, our role players show up when they want and never as a whole.

GrandeDavid
I must say I agree with you. I just got home, logged into NBA.com League Pass Broadband, saw the Spurs down by 6 with a couple minutes left and knew they had loss. And I say this not in a sour manner, but just I felt that the Spurs would need a miracle to pull out a win down 6 AT HOME against Denver.

I knew the Spurs had lost. They just don't have the guns to gut out victory in the clutch. Guys are either gassed and throwing bricks, getting sloppy with their passes, not getting breaks on calls. Its just...wait, its an EVEN year.

Seriously, this has been just one frustrating season, one terrible disappointment and this team has zero clutch factor. If they do score down the stretch, then expect them to miss free throws. Always shooting themselves in the foot. Or leaving Kenyon Martin or J.R. Smith wide, wide open. Lame. This is just lame, lame, lame.

5in10
01-31-2010, 03:42 PM
^ yeah you mentioned that lol

spurtech09
01-31-2010, 03:42 PM
spurs are a average team....

spurtech09
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
I bet if Ian and theo get mins the spurs would be fine....

Libri
01-31-2010, 03:49 PM
If the Spurs don't make the defense their focal point, they're not going to contend. During this six game home-stand, opposing teams averaged 101.5 ppg.

temujin
01-31-2010, 03:49 PM
I think that the biggest problem right now is Popovich.
I he CAN'T see that Jefferson is simply not a basketball player any more, if he ever was, the Spurs are in DEEP trouble.

kobyz
01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
it's not only this year, in the past years we have been some of a mentally weak team, team that made combacks against and a team thet can't finish their own combacks.

alchemist
01-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Last year:
Tim and Tony played at peak levels
Only 1 new player in the starting line-up

pad300
01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
What we should have done instead of Bogans:

Bring back Bruce. At 38, he's still a better player than Bogans, particularly defensively. He'd do so much to set a better defensive tone.
Starting line up.

Tim (32 Min)
Mcdyess (28 Min)
Jefferson (36 Min)
Bruce (20 min - 4 minutes at the start of each quarter, and 4 minutes if neccessary at the end of the 4th; some to this may be at SF with Manu at SG)
Tony (30 min - keep his minutes down for PF)

Blair & Bonner (36 minutes, depending who's hot)
Manu (28 Min)
RMJ/Fin (12 min as designated shooters)
Hill (18 minutes, more if he can steal from RMJ/FIN)

jjktkk
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
It seemed like in past year, every close game late would go our way, we'd perform down the stretch, make the stops needed and pull out the W. This season is the exact opposite. If we're down in crunch time, you just KNOW we're going to lose the game. We don't make the shots, don't make the plays, can't make the stops, and choke completely. And it's not even in games, it's overall too. We get close to the division leader and 2nd seed, then lose a string of games....

We'll never make a deep play off run like this, and much less make it to the finals. We're on pace to win 48 games, the least in quite a fucking while, with possibly the deepest roster we've had in the TD era, and I'm pointing towards this as one of the biggest problems.

What can the spurs do to fix this? Trade suggestions are not welcome, spurs aren't gonna do that and everybody knows it.

I agree that this is probably the deepest roster the Spurs have ever had, but this roster is not deep in defensive players. There in lies the problem. The Spurs won their championships on defense. IMO this current Spurs team will not contend, unless they upgrade their defense by making a trade. I'm also curious as to why your so adament about not wanting the Spurs to make a trade. This current group of Spurs need to upgrade defensively, and the only logical way to do that is to make a trade.

jjktkk
01-31-2010, 05:21 PM
I think that the biggest problem right now is Popovich.
I he CAN'T see that Jefferson is simply not a basketball player any more, if he ever was, the Spurs are in DEEP trouble.

Jefferson has been a disappointment, but he has been playing better, at least offensively, as of late, besides what do you want Pop to do with Jefferson? You can bench him, but for all the knocks on Jefferson, Jefferson is one of the few Spurs that can score inside and offside. The Spurs are not gonna bench, or even cut a guy thats making 14 mil. and because of that 14 mil. your not gonna be able to trade Jefferson, so like him or not, Jefferson isn't going nowhere anytime soon.

Agloco
01-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Short of a trade, this isn't a fixable problem. This team is not capable of playing defense when it counts. No one on this team has a killer instinct.

Hello first round exit, if even that. :depressed

poop
01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
same problem as last 2 years...as long as BonnerFinley get big minutes we will be a wet paper bag on defense. also as long as Pop refuses to utilize players properly, perma-benching solid, needed players while playing proven mediocre ones, etc.., theres nothing anyone can do.

its all in Pop's hands.unfortunately despite the last 2 seasons it seems hes not gonna change anything.

ulosturedge
01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Need people that can play at both ends of the court. We have too many specialized role players on our roster. Bench Mason or RJ and give me Malik. We need energy guys that hustle. Regardless there always seems to be a weak link out on the court that gets exploited. Be it RJ, Mason, Bogans, Bonner, ect...getting tired of it.

quentin_compson
02-01-2010, 02:21 AM
same problem as last 2 years...as long as BonnerFinley get big minutes we will be a wet paper bag on defense [...]

Both have been out injured for a while, and we weren't really better on D, were we?

Cane
02-01-2010, 02:28 AM
The entire team is to be blamed but this is where we really miss having healthy and effective contributions from Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. These guys have always been depended on to help ignite the offense and both have had games where they carried the scoring load in the 4th...just not this year. Parker's ankle injury and planar fasciitis combined with Manu still looking for his aim just hasn't added up well.

Especially Manu - he's supposed to be our big fourth quarter guy and he's had the clutch-stats to back it up.