PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Clutch

Whisky Dog
01-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Clutch.

That one word describes the difference between these Spurs and the earlier title teams. Guys like Horry, Bowen, SJax, even Fab in '07 and Manu and Tim were clutch. When the game was tight in the 4th quarter they made the plays.

This team is the opposite. Jefferson is so anti-clutch it's painful to watch. Manu and Tim just aren't physically able to sustain it anymore. Hill, Mason, Bonner, Dice - all guys who make the big mistake when the game is on the line.

I hate to say it, but the Spurs have the talent. They just don't have the clutch.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Our closers have under-achieved this year..Manu and Parker are usually the guys we have went to the past few years, nothing you can do about that..

timtonymanu
01-31-2010, 03:29 PM
it's the same story all year. this team brings themself back into the game. the leads cut to 1. someone misses a 3. the other team responds with more offense.

im just gonna stick to my championship dvds and watch people like horry, bowen, fab, avery etc. man the good old days.

ffadicted
01-31-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145597

lol my thoughts exactly

temujin
01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Throw in a jefferson in the 03, 05 07 squads, and bye bye titles.

e20dylan
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Throw in a jefferson in the 03, 05 07 squads, and bye bye titles.

agreed

cd98
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
It's not about clutch. It's about death of defense. Spurs pulled out a lot of these games getting stops in the fourth. They can't stop anyone. Even Kenyon Martin went crazy on our weak defense. That's a sign that the ship ain't right.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2010, 04:12 PM
To be fair, Stutter Martin is a 35% jump shooter and he made a bunch today..I agree that the Spurs D has really fallen off though, obviously..

Whisky Dog
01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
It's not about clutch. It's about death of defense. Spurs pulled out a lot of these games getting stops in the fourth. They can't stop anyone. Even Kenyon Martin went crazy on our weak defense. That's a sign that the ship ain't right.

I meant clutch defense too. Horry would get a block, Manu would get a steal, Bruce would force a bad shot. They made clutch plays when they had to.

Today twice in the last 6 min they got to within 2. Once Mason bricked a 3 for the lead then Jefferson gives Billups a wide open 3. The 2nd time Jefferson fouls Martin for a 3 pt play. Twice a clutch defensive/offensive play would have given the lead or a shot at it an twice the deficit went immediate from 2 to 5. Both times because of Jefferson not making the play.

Unclutch.

crc21209
01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
I meant clutch defense too. Horry would get a block, Manu would get a steal, Bruce would force a bad shot. They made clutch plays when they had to.

Today twice in the last 6 min they got to within 2. Once Mason bricked a 3 for the lead then Jefferson gives Billups a wide open 3. The 2nd time Jefferson fouls Martin for a 3 pt play. Twice a clutch defensive/offensive play would have given the lead or a shot at it an twice the deficit went immediate from 2 to 5. Both times because of Jefferson not making the play.

Unclutch.

That Billups 3 wasnt wide open...watch it again he shook RJ and stepped back for the 3...Billups was just damn good on that shot. And let's get real that foul on RJ on Martin's layup was phantom as hell....they were calling the Spurs for touch fouls all game long. People need to stop bashing RJ like he's the main problem....it's not his fault we're not defending the paint...we need an interior defensive presence..

Galileo
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Clutch.

That one word describes the difference between these Spurs and the earlier title teams. Guys like Horry, Bowen, SJax, even Fab in '07 and Manu and Tim were clutch. When the game was tight in the 4th quarter they made the plays.

This team is the opposite. Jefferson is so anti-clutch it's painful to watch. Manu and Tim just aren't physically able to sustain it anymore. Hill, Mason, Bonner, Dice - all guys who make the big mistake when the game is on the line.

I hate to say it, but the Spurs have the talent. They just don't have the clutch.

there is no such thing as clutch. It is called statistical flucuation.

poop
01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
im just gonna stick to my championship dvds and watch people like horry, bowen, fab, avery etc. man the good old days.

oh brother......:rolleyes

Agloco
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM

Signed, Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, and Robert Horry.

Whisky Dog
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Lol, coming from you I expected a crack about crooked refs and conspiracies.

It's not statistical fluctuation when so much human control is involved. When Bowen put himself in position to strip a ball or block a shot there was no statistical fluctuation. Nice try.