PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy play

Dice
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I watched all but one game this season. Afterwards I swing by this site to see what other people think.

After a win, almost everyone is gravy. After a loss, this team is done and their are trade proposals that would end up with the Spurs getting a couple of superstars for our scrubs.

The only problem I see with this team is occasional bouts of sloppy play. In the Denver game yesterday, the turning point IMO was the third qaurter where the Spurs had a hard time even getting a shot attempt due to sloppy passes. Sloppy defense has burned us on a number of occassions. Some of the players have just had poor performances that I chalk up to lack of effort those particular games.

In short, I see a preety damn good team out there that just needs more time together and needs to get that sense of calm that the better teams in the league have. I believe we'll play the Lakers in the Conference finals barring serious injury to Duncan/Parker. I don't know if we'll beat them, but we'll be there.

I will contend that they will only continue to play better as the season wears on and that by playoff time, they'll be one of the more feared teams in the league.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Every team can get sloppy here and there. Denver had 19 turnovers yesterday. Yet, they buckled up down the stretch and made stops when it mattered. That's what the Spurs used to do. We're in February already, well past the halfway point of the season. If this team had any knack for playing 48 minutes of defense, you would think we would have seen it at least in one game by now.

We can talk about offense, turnovers, and everything else. But the reason we're losing games is our defense, plain and simple.

SpurNation
02-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I would like to share your optimism. And hope for all purposes stated that the team corrects itself soon.

But I will reserve my "hope springs eternal" feelings until I start to see consistent play and more importantly...a consistent rotation.

Being that it is supposed to be so hard to "learn the system"...it's being made even harder by not having consistent players in the game to perfect the system.

At some time this team needs to role with what it's got and should already be known "what they got".

Chieflion
02-01-2010, 10:13 AM
It is not about sloppy anymore. This team is the most mentally weak in the Duncan era. Losing in close games, failure to execute in the big moments. No intensity, no confidence. Weak body language. Poor leadership (Sorry, Timmy, Pop, but the way you guys talk, you guys are not even assertive.)

Dice
02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Every team can get sloppy here and there. Denver had 19 turnovers yesterday. Yet, they buckled up down the stretch and made stops when it mattered.

We can talk about offense, turnovers, and everything else. But the reason we're losing games is our defense, plain and simple.

Denver is a team that has played together and in all fairness after watching the game (had recorded it) I feel like the only reason they were in it was Martin having a really lucky shooting night.

Being that it is supposed to be so hard to "learn the system"...it's being made even harder by not having consistent players in the game to perfect the system.

At some time this team needs to role with what it's got and should already be known "what they got".

It is not about sloppy anymore. This team is the most mentally weak in the Duncan era. Losing in close games, failure to execute in the big moments. No intensity, no confidence. Weak body language. Poor leadership (Sorry, Timmy, Pop, but the way you guys talk, you guys are not even assertive.)

But do you feel like the face of this team has changed? I know the big 3 are still there but a lot of the major contributing players on the team are relatively new. And others who aren't so new are getting much more playing time (others less) than before- alot of different roles.

I really think it's just a case of needing more time to gel as a whole. I'm hoping we see better play both offensively and defensively as the guys shore up and get an even better feel for each other.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Denver is a team that has played together and in all fairness after watching the game (had recorded it) I feel like the only reason they were in it was Martin having a really lucky shooting night.

It's all perception I guess. Martin didn't even make a shot in their 12-0 run to end the second quarter, when they turned the game around. And you can call it lucky. I call it stepping up to the plate when your best player is down. You have to give them credit. They've been winning even with Melo being out.

SpurNation
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
But do you feel like the face of this team has changed? I know the big 3 are still there but a lot of the major contributing players on the team are relatively new. And others who aren't so new are getting much more playing time (others less) than before- alot of different roles.

I really think it's just a case of needing more time to gel as a whole. I'm hoping we see better play both offensively and defensively as the guys shore up and get an even better feel for each other.

Whats' changed the most is age and performance ability by the big 3. Ginobili used to be the most clutch player in the league. By statistics...better than Kobe.

I don't see another Ginobiliesque player on this team. RJ has been a huge disappointment this year. I expected a slow start to his production for this team...but there is not an indicator that he can become what the Spurs were probably hoping he would provide.

McDyess was expected to be a "second half" player. I won't say yes or no regarding him just yet. It would be nice for him to jetison himself to the player he was last season as far as points and rebounds...but he's never been a particularly good defender and that's what the Spurs lack the most regarding weak side D.

Blair was definately a gift. But his lack of size along with experience doesn't do the Spurs good for this season. He'll get abused in the playoffs by both taller gifted opponents as well as the refs.

Mason is just streaky as well as Bonner. Not a good combination to have in post play as they excemplified last season.

Finley...old. Ratliff and Mahinmi...don't know...they don't play and probably for good reason I suppose.

Bogans...the Bowen replacement experiment that went wrong. He can't defend as well as Bowen and has an even worse reliable 3 point shot.

A savior could be Hill if he can somehow manage to bring consitently to the team what Ginobili used to be able to do. He's shown flashes. But he's also shown a body language when things aren't going right to be mentally lapse.

But more importantly in observation...I just don't see a cohesive team. A team that knows what it's going to do and executes that mind set as in the past.

Again...I'm there with you in hope...but I'm not convinced from what I've seen thus far to become a reality.

SenorSpur
02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
The sloppiness and turnovers notwithstanding, this team has shown an inability to beat the better teams of the NBA - even when at full strength. They've been swept by both Utah and Denver - something that has never happened before. They've developed a penchant for losing leads and have been virtually outscored in 3rd quarters from game to game. This is not by accident.

Everyone knows the Western Conference is as tough as it's ever been. Even the projected "weak sisters" of the conference (Grizzlies, Thunder, Rockets) have emerged, are now very competitive and are even contending for playoff spots.

We're rapidly approaching the halfway point of the season. Throwing out the same excuses of "chemistry" and "loss of corporate knowledge" just doesn't cut it anymore. At some point, it becomes apparent that "you are who you are". The only way to fix a problem is to first admit that you have one, in the first place.

There's a lot of season left, but time, a killer schedule, and back-to-back games are the enemy of a roster that has an aging and injured core. It's becoming very apparent that this team is severely flawed, and ill-equipped for a long playoff run - if they make it at all. That's not a negative. That's simply embracing the stark realization.

NugzFan
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

:lol

lefty
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Every team can get sloppy here and there. Denver had 19 turnovers yesterday. Yet, they buckled up down the stretch and made stops when it mattered. That's what the Spurs used to do. We're in February already, well past the halfway point of the season. If this team had any knack for playing 48 minutes of defense, you would think we would have seen it at least in one game by now.

Exactly

Bender
02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
We're rapidly approaching the halfway point of the season
we are several games beyond the halfway point

Obstructed_View
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM

From two minutes to go in the first half through the end of the game, the Nuggets outscored the Spurs 70-48.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
From two minutes to go in the first half through the end of the game, the Nuggets outscored the Spurs 70-48.

lucky shots...

/thread :lol

Dice
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
lucky shots...

/thread :lol

I said Kenyon Martin got lucky (hell even the article on NBA.com says as much), not the whole team. And sloppy play was the reason for our lack of scoring during that stretch-not to mention the same sloppy play led to many fast break opportunities for Denver.

I'll stand by what I said till the end of the season.

doobs
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
The play has been inconsistent and sloppy, but this year's team has a much higher ceiling than last year's team. If the RRT yields more progress and more consistency, then I'll be certain that this team can contend.

People who moan about lack of heart or talent are being premature, IMO. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing another 7 footer alongside Duncan, but I'm not sure that it's needed, or that it would be worth the cost of bringing in and fully integrating someone new to the system.

RJ and McDyess are getting better. Manu is healthy and making incredible plays every night. Duncan is having an MVP-caliber season. Blair and Hill are developing nicely.
Aside from Parker's health---which is a MAJOR concern---this team has a lot going for it.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
People who moan about lack of heart or talent are being premature, IMO. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing another 7 footer alongside Duncan, but I'm not sure that it's needed, or that it would be worth the cost of bringing in and fully integrating someone new to the system.

It sure would have been nice to have drafted a young big with raw talent five years ago and gotten him integrated into the system this season.

SenorSpur
02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
It sure would have been nice to have drafted a young big with raw talent five years ago and gotten him integrated into the system this season.

Nice indeed. Almost like a dream.

It seems to me that Pop bemoaned the fact that this particular young big was hurt all of last season. Now that he's healthy, he's decided NOT to play him at all. I can't help but think this is him holding some sort of unjustified grudge. I've never trusted Pop's evaluation of this kid and I'm not going to start now - especially when they're losing. Just makes no sense.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM

It seems to me that Pop bemoaned the fact that this particular young big was hurt all of last season. Now that he's healthy, he's decided NOT to play him at all. I can't help but think this is him holding some sort of unjustified grudge. I've never trusted Pop's evaluation of this kid and I'm not going to start now - especially when they're losing. Just makes no sense.

Yeah, here's where I am with the situation: Okay, you didn't pick up his option. I understand. He hasn't done enough to justify it. That said, he's on the team now, and he's getting paid. He's likely to get maybe one shot against a really bad team to see how he reacts. If he's given up, it'll show and you're justified in leaving him to rot until July. But no, he puts up really nice numbers, shows good energy and awareness on both sides of the ball. And you leave him to rot anyway.

Chomag
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm having a hard time buying into the whole "This team just needs more time" it being about half way into the season. When does it all start becoming excuses for poor play? All this "just gelling, we need to play better" thing seems to be just becoming words at this point.

I hope to be wrong about it though and Spurs put me to shame. I would proudly eat crow if I was wrong. Lol

Obstructed_View
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm having a hard time buying into the whole "This team just needs more time" it being about half way into the season. When does it all start becoming excuses for poor play? All this "just gelling, we need to play better" thing seems to be just becoming words at this point.

I hope to be wrong about it though and Spurs put me to shame. I would proudly eat crow if I was wrong. Lol

We've seen Pop shake up the lineups in the RRT and call up young guys to have them there, so the next two weeks are going to be really pivotal.

jjktkk
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM

That is one of the silliest post I've read. Why would Pop hold a grudge, unless the guy is a complete knucklehead, which by all accounts doens't fit Mahimni? By Pop playing a rookie(Blair), ahead of Mahimni, that should tell you all you need to know that Mahimni simply isn't ready to play significant minutes, other than garbage minutes.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
That is one of the silliest post I've read. Why would Pop hold a grudge, unless the guy is a complete knucklehead, which by all accounts doens't fit Mahimni? By Pop playing a rookie(Blair), ahead of Mahimni, that should tell you all you need to know that Mahimni simply isn't ready to play significant minutes, other than garbage minutes.

Far more than his 15/9 performance in an actual NBA game?

Dice
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Teams that play together over multiple seasons gel together and learn each other tendancies. The Detroit Pistons were a perfect example. I'd actually be surprised if the Spurs are even close at the end of the season.

But I do think they'll continue to improve and will be one of the top teams going into the post season.

SenorSpur
02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
we are several games beyond the halfway point

Whatever. That doesn't dilute the point I was making.

SenorSpur
02-02-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't know what Pop's reasoning is for not experimenting with this kid. With him, who knows? Like others, I'm simply guessing. In case you've not been paying attention, Ian isn't even getting garbage minutes. All I know is what I saw the kid contribute in his one and only stint against the Nets.

Pop has been wrong before in his evaluation of players. That said, I'm not going to assume the kid is a dud. And oh by the way, Blair maginificent 20 & 20 perforrmance a few weeks ago, hasn't necessarily earned him more time either. He's taken his rightful place as the 4th big. This, despite the pleas of Pop's assistants.

My point was this team is losing games at an alarming rate. All the while, opposing teams are carving up the Spurs defense. A roster shakeup is probably in order. I would expect that even you could understand that.