PDA

View Full Version : Dump Punxsutawney Phil And Get A Robot, PETA Says

mrsmaalox
02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Dump Punxsutawney Phil And Get A Robot, PETA Says

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123026376

An animal rights group wants organizers of Pennsylvania's Groundhog Day festival to replace Punxsutawney Phil with a robotic stand-in.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says it's unfair to keep the animal in captivity and subject him to the huge crowds and bright lights that accompany tens of thousands of revelers each Feb. 2 in Punxsutawney, a tiny borough about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. PETA is suggesting the use of an animatronic model.

But William Deeley, president of the Inner Circle of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, says the animal is "being treated better than the average child in Pennsylvania." The groundhog is kept in a climate-controlled environment and is inspected annually by the state Department of Agriculture.

Deeley says PETA isn't interested in Phil from Feb. 2 on, and is looking for publicity.

z0sa
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
A machine's sensors will always detect the shadow! This is bullshit.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-01-2010, 10:42 AM
What a bunch of jackasses with a bunch of time on their hands. I'd rent a Mooyah trailer and have them give away medium rare burgers in their parking lot.

Dex
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
:lmao PETA bitching about possibly one of the most pampered animals in the world.

I. Hustle
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I would park in front of their head office and start grilling veggie burgers and giving them away. Only I wouldn't tell them they were veggie burgers so that they would start fighting. I would drag it out for a long time. I guess there isn't a way to make them smell like REAL burgers though huh?

mrsmaalox
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Well their gripe, I believe, is about Phil being denied his existence as a wild animal. Which as I recall from living in the area, eventually includes being squashed on a highway.

I. Hustle
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
They should have a big ceremony releasing him then hire a hit man to "accidentally" run him over.

Dex
02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
We can make Phil stronger. faster. better.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/01/Robot-Punxsutawney-Phil.jpg

Kermit
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
1 woodchuck
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
Flour
Vinegar
Pepper Cloves

Clean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into serving pieces. Soak overnight in a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar with addition of one sliced onion and a little salt. Drain, wash, and wipe. Parboil 20 minutes, drain, and cover with fresh boiling water. Add one sliced onion, celery, a few cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender; thicken gravy with flour.

Shaolin-Style
02-01-2010, 02:27 PM
As a proponent of robot rights I am deeply offended by PETA's assertion that robots are lesser lifeforms than animals.

angel_luv
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
As a proponent of robot rights I am deeply offended by PETA's assertion that robots are lesser lifeforms than animals.

:lol