PDA

View Full Version : What we REALLY need

chazley
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Let's get something straight... everyone is saying that the Spurs need a big man, that would be our missing piece. I can say that I couldn't disagree more. The bigs we have on the roster are completely sufficient to win a title. What we need to find is an athletic swingman who can guard 2s and 3s. We really need Shane Battier. I wish we had kept Thomas this summer and gone after Artest instead of trading for RJ, cause I would've loved Artest on this team too. I'd be really interested to know if Raja Bell is coming back too, cause he's in a contract year and will be playing at a high level, not to mention we could probably get him cheaper than Shane.

I also wanna note how under appreciated Bonner is. The dude plays passable defense, and is very efficient at the offensive end and fits in very well with our system.

Cliffnotes:

Should've kept Thomas/gone after Artest,

We should go after Shane Battier.

We can win a title with the bigs we have.

Bonner is under appreciated.

Darthkiller
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
someone like a nicolas batum

5in10
02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Any of the following are on my wish list: Corey or Ronnie Brewer, battier, batum, Dahntay Jones, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, g.wallace, Ariza pietrus.

z0sa
02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
i'll trade a wing for a big

chazley
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
What big are you talking about? Everyone says Camby or Haywood, but they would be terrible fits in our system. Imagine them playing next to Duncan, who plays center on defense now. They would just be sitting within 2 feet of each other under the basket. Who would guard Gasol? Our offense would immediately become worse, when it has been the only thing that has kept us good all season. The only spot on this roster that wouldn't bring down our offense would be on the wing.

jdev82
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
id trade manu for mbah a moute and charlie bell any day.

dbestpro
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda, I could care less about improving the offense. Every practice, every time out, every coaching move from here on out should focus on the defense. Bump, get physical and push people around. I don't care if they call 50 fouls on us. Eventually our identiy will surface. We need to get back to who we are, a defensive first team.

Brazil
02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
What we REALLY need is spurs fans posting their trade ideas in the trade thread

bus driver
02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
...is RJ to grow a pair and start avg. 20PPG.

bdictjames
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda, I could care less about improving the offense. Every practice, every time out, every coaching move from here on out should focus on the defense. Bump, get physical and push people around. I don't care if they call 50 fouls on us. Eventually our identiy will surface. We need to get back to who we are, a defensive first team.
I agree.

DynastySpurs210
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I agree.

heyy check out my youtube channels!

www.youtube.com/UndergroundFame
www.youtube.com/DynastySpurs

chazley
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM

In other words, you agree with me

Agloco
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
...is RJ to grow a pair and start avg. 20PPG.

:rolleyes

As the fourth scoring option?

Halberto
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Imagine them playing next to Duncan, who plays center on defense now. They would just be sitting within 2 feet of each other under the basket. Who would guard Gasol? Our offense would immediately become worse, when it has been the only thing that has kept us good all season. The only spot on this roster that wouldn't bring down our offense would be on the wing.

I don't know why you would think this is a bad thing.

First off, Duncan standing 2 feet within another 7' shot blocker would vastly improve our defense. Duncan isn't the anchor he used to be, he needs a little help now. Duncan could guard Gasol while the other big picks up the slack (assuming Duncan is the more agile big).

Our offense has been inconsistent all season, so I don't think our offense would miss one or two pieces as bad as you think.

DynastySpurs210
02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Let's get something straight... everyone is saying that the Spurs need a big man, that would be our missing piece. I can say that I couldn't disagree more. The bigs we have on the roster are completely sufficient to win a title. What we need to find is an athletic swingman who can guard 2s and 3s. We really need Shane Battier. I wish we had kept Thomas this summer and gone after Artest instead of trading for RJ, cause I would've loved Artest on this team too. I'd be really interested to know if Raja Bell is coming back too, cause he's in a contract year and will be playing at a high level, not to mention we could probably get him cheaper than Shane.

I also wanna note how under appreciated Bonner is. The dude plays passable defense, and is very efficient at the offensive end and fits in very well with our system.

Cliffnotes:

Should've kept Thomas/gone after Artest,

We should go after Shane Battier.

We can win a title with the bigs we have.

Bonner is under appreciated.

Your description is amazingly pathetic!!!!
These are the number of players who would fit in the Spurs System

.Marcus Camby
.Corey Maggette
.Raja Bell
.Amar'e Stoudemire
.J.R. Smith
.Shane Battier
.Anthony Randolph
.Brendan Haywood
.Sasha Vujacic
.Louis Williams
.Channing Frye
.Anderson Varejao
.Carl Landry
.Erick Dampier
.Sam Young
.Morris Peterson
.Chris Kaman
.Richard Hamilton
.Chris Wilcox
.Kelenna Azubuike
.Nenê
.Arron Afflalo
.Mickael Pietrus
.Al Jefferson
.Stephen Jackson
.Tyson Chandler
.Eduardo Najera
.Nicolas Batum
.Joe Johnson
.LaMarcus Aldridge
.Courtney Lee
.Brook Lopez
.Danny Granger
.Anthony Parker
.Dahntay Jones
.Roy Hibbert
.Al Harrington
.Joakim Noah
.Jason Thompson

rayray2k8
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Is for noobs to stop posting new threads.

mystargtr34
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Cant believe this has so many replies.

chazley
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Your description is amazingly pathetic!!!!
These are the number of players who would fit in the Spurs System

.Marcus Camby
.Corey Maggette
.Raja Bell
.Amar'e Stoudemire
.J.R. Smith
.Shane Battier
.Anthony Randolph
.Brendan Haywood
.Sasha Vujacic
.Louis Williams
.Channing Frye
.Anderson Varejao
.Carl Landry
.Erick Dampier
.Sam Young
.Morris Peterson
.Chris Kaman
.Richard Hamilton
.Chris Wilcox
.Kelenna Azubuike
.Nenê
.Arron Afflalo
.Mickael Pietrus
.Al Jefferson
.Stephen Jackson
.Tyson Chandler
.Eduardo Najera
.Nicolas Batum
.Joe Johnson
.LaMarcus Aldridge
.Courtney Lee
.Brook Lopez
.Danny Granger
.Anthony Parker
.Dahntay Jones
.Roy Hibbert
.Al Harrington
.Joakim Noah
.Jason Thompson

If it's pathetic tell me why instead of just saying its pathetic

chazley
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I mean honestly tell me why you think I'm wrong. I think McDyess/Bonner/Blair/Mahinmi(if he ever gets consistent PT) are perfectly fine. The twin towers worked so well in SA in the 90s/early 00s because Duncan and Robinson were two of the most athletic guys at their position and could guard people who came out to the perimeter or guys who played with their back to the basket. Now, Duncan needs someone who can guard stretch 4s/5s next to him, because he takes the back to the basket guy on defense. We already have those guys in Mahinmi/Dice, and Bonner does a decent job on stretch bigs. If we bring in an athletic shotblocker, sure its nice to have, but do we REALLY need it? What do Haywood/Camby bring to the table that we don't already have in Duncan on defense?It's not like they bring anything to the offensive end either.

We need a guy to guard the Kobe's/Carmelo's/Pierce's/Johnson's etc. and that should be out PRIORITY. We need to focus on getting a defensive minded wing, someone exactly in the mold of Bowen. If we had a Bowen in his prime on this team we would be contenders right now. As constructed, we're a second round exit. Adding Haywood/Camby will not change that. I'm not interested in a center who's gonna clog the lane on offense and have 2 shot blocking centers on defense when our perimeter defense is so poor right now.

Our offense is so good right now, I don't wanna mess with it. We just need to make stop and force turnovers in the fourth quarter, and only way we can cure that is to trade for someone who can get the job done. Bogans is not the solution.

jjktkk
02-01-2010, 09:44 PM
What big are you talking about? Everyone says Camby or Haywood, but they would be terrible fits in our system. Imagine them playing next to Duncan, who plays center on defense now. They would just be sitting within 2 feet of each other under the basket. Who would guard Gasol? Our offense would immediately become worse, when it has been the only thing that has kept us good all season. The only spot on this roster that wouldn't bring down our offense would be on the wing.

Duncan plays center because theirs no viable option on the Spurs with Duncan's size. Why would you think they would be 2 feet apart from each other. Don't you remember when Duncan and Robinson played together? Or currently look at the Lakers front court tandem of Gasol and Bynum. I never see Gasol or Bynum having problems spacing the floor. Now Camby, nor Haywood will never be mistaken for the Admiral, but if the Spurs were to add either Camby or Haywood, having another 7 footer to play alongside Duncan would at the very least improve the The Spurs interior defense.

SouthTexasRancher
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the laffs gang. This thread is a good reminder of how our guys have been playing this season. :toast

dbestpro
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
In other words, you agree with me

If what you posted means the same thing that I said then yeah we agree. I just don't think we need to add anybody to do it.

chazley
02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Duncan plays center because theirs no viable option on the Spurs with Duncan's size. Why would you think they would be 2 feet apart from each other. Don't you remember when Duncan and Robinson played together? Or currently look at the Lakers front court tandem of Gasol and Bynum. I never see Gasol or Bynum having problems spacing the floor. Now Camby, nor Haywood will never be mistaken for the Admiral, but if the Spurs were to add either Camby or Haywood, having another 7 footer to play alongside Duncan would at the very least improve the The Spurs interior defense.

If you read my previous post, I explained why Camby/Haywood playing next to Duncan is nothing like the twin towers of the late 90s/early 00s. Bynum and Gasol DO have trouble spacing the floor, it's why they don't finish games together, when the best team is on the floor. We won a title with a stretch four/five our last two championships, when Horry finished games for us. We have been very successful playing with a stretch big instead of 2 7-footers since 2003, but the first time we have a rough stretch of games everyone wants to punch the panic button. Dice will fill the Horry roll, except shoot a much higher percentage. As I said though, this team desperately needs to upgrade their perimeter defense, and if we don't do so we aren't winning a championship this year. Bottom line. Our current bigs can get the job done.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
All we REALLY need is...
Rzkrb3YMYDI

Old School 44
02-02-2010, 10:29 AM
What we need is...better coaching.

- Develop our youth. Give Ian some meaningful playing time.
If someone can give me 15 and 9 (even if it's against NJ), don't you think I want to see if they can possibly duplicate the effort in another game, especially if we are losing?
- Better in game decisions. I alway think of Pop as a good manager of personalities, but not so much an X's and O's guy. Yeah...I know "He's got 4 rings".
- Stop limiting player minutes (if they are not injured), I am not saying play everybody 40+ minutes. My thought is if you play 30 minutes, that is what they are going to be conditioned to play at the end of the year and in the playoffs.
- Stop treating the regular season as an extension of the preseason. Put the best personnel on the floor and win some games!

SpurNation
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I can understand the OP's reasoning. It's not the first time I've read somebody mentioning the same thing.

But this team's lack of effective interior defense puts over emphasis on our perimeter defense. Another tall athletic big next to Duncan would help solve a lot of the main issues this team is having on D.

It requires somebody mobile, agile and quick with height to play efficient weak side D on this team.

Out of our bigs...there's not one that fits the description above. The last person on this team to do that was Horry.

With the height in the post the perimeter defenders would not have to work so hard in one on one defense plus have better opportunity in fast break situations and fresher legs at the end of games.

Being physically spent is one of the main problems this team is having with not being able to make shots at the end of games. Another big to fill the role described above would greatly help not only our interior defense...but allow the perimeter players to be fresher at the end of games.

chazley
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I can understand the OP's reasoning. It's not the first time I've read somebody mentioning the same thing.

But this team's lack of effective interior defense puts over emphasis on our perimeter defense. Another tall athletic big next to Duncan would help solve a lot of the main issues this team is having on D.

It requires somebody mobile, agile and quick with height to play efficient weak side D on this team.

Out of our bigs...there's not one that fits the description above. The last person on this team to do that was Horry.

With the height in the post the perimeter defenders would not have to work so hard in one on one defense plus have better opportunity in fast break situations and fresher legs at the end of games.

Being physically spent is one of the main problems this team is having with not being able to make shots at the end of games. Another big to fill the role described above would greatly help not only our interior defense...but allow the perimeter players to be fresher at the end of games.

Finally someone who has something good to say... I agree that this team would be improved having another defensive-minded big play next to Timmy, but I feel we already have two guys on our roster that can do it in Mahinmi and Theo. The fact is an Horry-type big is what we need exactly, who can space the floor on offense yet play interior defense on the other end. The issue is, there aren't any Robert Horry-types available; the closest thing is Troy Murphy. I strongly feel that Camby and Haywood are not good fits in our system. I also feel that the biggest piece we're missing, still, is a great perimeter defender. Mahinmi needs to be playing 25+ minutes a night, cause he's the closest thing we've got to an athletic, tall defensive minded center. There's no one on our roster though that comes close to a Bowen that we so desperately need.

austinlakepirate
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM

I agree completely spurs need to go big!

Cherry
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
What we REALLY need is trust in our team till the end...

...and go big.:flag:

Rogue
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
The Spurs have retained almost the same components from their championship run in 07 except several years older, while the only discrepancy is just a defensive winger that played a pivotal role on the champion squad.

all_heart
02-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Shit who are we kidding? We need both a defensive minded big and swingman. Our D has gone down a few notches since Horry and Bowen retired. Which do we need more? You could argue one or another and be right. IMO a defensive big will help a slowing Duncan protect the paint and cause more perimeter shots, in which this fictional player could help rebound along with TD and DB. It would also cause for the other opposing team to pass the ball more and allow Hill and Manu to poke it away. If our core players could play to their potential, specifically Manu and RJ, we'd be fine offensively.

I also believe Pop's strategy of matching up isn't really working anymore. Spurs no longer impose their will on the other team, they allow them to run whatever they want. I don't think Bonner is the answer to anything, we can't rely on him to keep us in the game with 3's. He's not tough enough or clutch enough. And over the team has been horribly inconsistent this year. I thought with Bonner gone we had made a little progress...

TJastal
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Shit who are we kidding? We need both a defensive minded big and swingman. Our D has gone down a few notches since Horry and Bowen retired. Which do we need more? You could argue one or another and be right. IMO a defensive big will help a slowing Duncan protect the paint and cause more perimeter shots, in which this fictional player could help rebound along with TD and DB. It would also cause for the other opposing team to pass the ball more and allow Hill and Manu to poke it away. If our core players could play to their potential, specifically Manu and RJ, we'd be fine offensively.

I also believe Pop's strategy of matching up isn't really working anymore. Spurs no longer impose their will on the other team, they allow them to run whatever they want. I don't think Bonner is the answer to anything, we can't rely on him to keep us in the game with 3's. He's not tough enough or clutch enough. And over the team has been horribly inconsistent this year. I thought with Bonner gone we had made a little progress...

Hairston and Ian could have filled these deficiencies had they been allowed PT to develop their games. Instead Pop went with old fossil, unclutch choker, and a journeyman (Fin/Bonner/Bogans respectively). All of whom add no athleticism, something the team is lacking.

If I had to venture a guess, if Hairston and Ian had been plugged into the rotation from the start they would be starting to develop nicely right now just in time for the RRT. And the spurs record wouldn't be much worse, if at all. Both would be providing much needed athleticism, and Hairston would be a great energy guy off the bench on both sides of the ball. 8ppg average ppg for Malik in 16 mins a game.

ohmwrecker
02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I think the original poster is right on the money. If our bigs were either playing to their potential (McDyess) or playing more minutes (Blair, Mahinmi and Ratliff) or could play defense or rebound (Bonner), we would be good to go. Big IF.
We do need a lockdown defender on the wing.
I think the conventional wisdom when we went from Bowen to Jefferson was that we would be sacrificing a little defense for mega-offense. Well, that hasn't really worked out for us so far.
The Spurs problems aren't going to be solved by slotting in another player in either position. It may help, but the potential of the current roster (or what remains after any potential trade) is going to have the biggest effect on what may or may not be a salvageable season.

all_heart
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Hairston and Ian could have filled these deficiencies had they been allowed PT to develop their games. Instead Pop went with old fossil, unclutch choker, and a journeyman (Fin/Bonner/Bogans respectively). All of whom add no athleticism, something the team is lacking.

If I had to venture a guess, if Hairston and Ian had been plugged into the rotation from the start they would be starting to develop nicely right now just in time for the RRT. And the spurs record wouldn't be much worse, if at all. Both would be providing much needed athleticism, and Hairston would be a great energy guy off the bench on both sides of the ball. 8ppg average ppg for Malik in 16 mins a game.

I agree with that, it's not like 'the plan" has been working so great so far. The Spurs wanted to capitalize on the all home games we had early in the season, so Pop didn't want to risk playing Hairston and Ian. So who knows where we go from here. I sure hope RJ steps up, he's going to get the majority of the blame if the Spurs don't do well in the playoffs. One of the commentors for NBA coast to coast last night mentioned that Vince Carter has not been the go to guy during crunch time, he's just been camping out in the wing. Sure sounds familiar huh?

rascal
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
If you read my previous post, I explained why Camby/Haywood playing next to Duncan is nothing like the twin towers of the late 90s/early 00s. Bynum and Gasol DO have trouble spacing the floor, it's why they don't finish games together, when the best team is on the floor. We won a title with a stretch four/five our last two championships, when Horry finished games for us. We have been very successful playing with a stretch big instead of 2 7-footers since 2003, but the first time we have a rough stretch of games everyone wants to punch the panic button. Dice will fill the Horry roll, except shoot a much higher percentage. As I said though, this team desperately needs to upgrade their perimeter defense, and if we don't do so we aren't winning a championship this year. Bottom line. Our current bigs can get the job done.

you can't win with the formula that won in the past. The lakers are just too big now and pose matchup problems for the spurs.

The spurs need a defensive big to clog up the lane and limit the easy baskets the spurs are giving up in the paint.

This laker team is better than anything the spurs have seen in their championship years.

all_heart
02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
you can't win with the formula that won in the past. The lakers are just too big now and pose matchup problems for the spurs.

The spurs need a defensive big to clog up the lane and limit the easy baskets the spurs are giving up in the paint.

This laker team is better than anything the spurs have seen in their championship years.

Seems you guys are talking about 2 different formulas, namely offensive and defensive. Having a big that can stretch the floor works if he's knocking down his jumpers, on the other hand this same guy needs to be able to defend the paint. That's why I'm not a big fan of Bonner playing significant minutes. If Dyess is continuing to improve, then maybe we'll be ok. I've just about given up on the Spurs finding a big that has a low post game. Available players like that are rare.

portnoy1
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Seems you guys are talking about 2 different formulas, namely offensive and defensive. Having a big that can stretch the floor works if he's knocking down his jumpers, on the other hand this same guy needs to be able to defend the paint. That's why I'm not a big fan of Bonner playing significant minutes. If Dyess is continuing to improve, then maybe we'll be ok. I've just about given up on the Spurs finding a big that has a low post game. Available players like that are rare.
The spurs dont need a guy to stretch the floor. Remember how well the spurs did in 05' with Nazr or in 07' and 08' with Oberto. The 3 pt shooting needs to stop. If the spurs take 15 3's a night I am happy with that. When they start shooting 20-25 3's I get worried. The game is won on the inside first and the outside is an added weapon. And defense is the of main importance right now. Nazr clogged up the paint, grabbed boards and blocked shots and he also did SOME things on the offensive side, but that wasnt important. Oberto Got boards, made solid passes and found his spots to be effective on the offense. So this 3 pt shooting big nonsense is overrated. Sure Horry could hit 3's, but it was the other stuff that made him a huge player on the spurs. Him hitting clutch 3's was a bonus and was more related to him being a clutch player than a 3pt shooter.

intlspurshk
02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
What SPURS really need? Simple, cash so that SPURS can take all bad contracts and go over the cap

portnoy1
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
What SPURS really need? Simple, cash so that SPURS can take all bad contracts and go over the cap
Bad Contracts, GOT RJ?????? he is bad enough and one of the worst moves I have seen the spurs FO made.

objective
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
If the Spurs want a big, maybe Kurt Thomas gets bought out and the Spurs can bring him back.

portnoy1
02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
If the Spurs want a big, maybe Kurt Thomas gets bought out and the Spurs can bring him back.
Good Lord, NO MORE GEEZERS. The Spurs are in the boat there in cause Pop Loves veterans and plays small ball. The next thing I want is young athletic wing and athletic big. Funny thing is that we already have that ( Mahinmi / Hairston).