PDA

View Full Version : NBA looms large for sublime Scola

Kori Ellis
04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
28/04/2005
ARG - NBA looms large for sublime Scola

VITORIA (Euroleague) - Euroleague glory for Tau Ceramica's Argentinian ace Luis Scola could be a springboard for his long-awaited move to the NBA.

He knows it, Europe knows and all of South America knows it.

Called 'Luisito', which means 'Little Luis', when he was a boy, Scola is anything but small now.

He stands an imposing 6ft 10in. Now he is called 'The Tower from Buenos Aires'.

Selected by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round of the 2002 NBA Draft, Scola will still be under contract after this season with Tau Ceramica, whom he has helped reach next month's Euroleague Final Four in Moscow.

However, his former club-mate, Andres Nocioni, paid a get-out clause in order to leave Tau after last season to join the Chicago Bulls. Scola could end up doing the same.

"At the moment," Scola said to PA International, "I am working hard and focusing on the team but in the summer, then I will think about my future and look at the different possibilities which are open to me."

No European-based star, it seems, is better equipped for the rigours of the NBA than Scola.

He was virtually unstoppable at the Olympics, helping Argentina capture the gold medal. In that title win over Italy, Scola had 25 points and 11 rebounds.

Like most players who work under Tau's demanding coach from Serbia & Montenegro, Dusan Ivkovic, Scola says he is getting better as a player but he remains humble.

"It is natural that you grow and improve in all aspects," he said.

"It is true that I should work more in the summers, and if I have chances with the national team, then I have to take it."

By winning a gold medal at the Olympics, Argentina do not have to qualify for FIBA World Championship 2006. Emanuel Ginobili and Nocioni will, as a result, almost certainly take the summer off and not play at the Tournament of the Americas.

Scola admits he would value a good rest, too.

"(But) I think that there are still a lot of areas of my play that I could improve, especially in playing defence and on rebounding."

Overcoming the bad start

Some of Tau's stars seemed to have a hangover from the Athens Games at the start of the ACB and Euroleague season, but the club eventually found its rhythm.

The Vitoria side qualified for the Top 16 with five wins and eight defeats.

They have looked like a championship side the past few months, due in large part to their big three: Scola, Spanish international point guard Jose Manuel Calderon and Lithuanian sharp-shooter Arvydas Macijauskas.

They also have Tiago Splitter, the emerging centre out of Brazil.

"We have good organisation and this is the important thing, not the players on their own," said Scola.

"Of course we also have a great coach whose qualities everybody knows about.

"The structure of the club with its different roles is unique in Spain and I think in Europe.

"For a town as small as Vitoria to produce the resources which Tau achieves without support shows the work that they have managed."

The 25-year-old Scola is the jewel in the crown.

He has been nominated for the Euroleague team of the year along with Macijauskas, a player who started making waves at Eurobasket 2003 in Sweden.

Scola is also a candidate for the ACB Most Valuable Player award.

He knows that for Tau to achieve success in Russia next month, now is the time for him to raise his game even further.

Scola believes if they can win their Euroleague semi-final against CSKA Moscow on May 6, that then they can go all the way.

"It is always going to be very difficult at this stage of the competition but I think that we have a lot of possibilities with this team which is growing all the time," Scola said.

"Of course we can win the competition, but we will have to play at our best.

"I would say that the most difficult rival will be CSKA as I think that they are the best team in Europe, but I am very confident and if we win that match then anything is possible."

Just getting to the big event is a major accomplishment.

"Maybe it is not for me to say it, but I think that for us to get to the Final Four has a lot of merit as this year has been very difficult after the bad start," Scola said.

"It has been hard for us to get here and now we hope to enjoy winning the two games."

On the international front, Scola says it is time for Argentina to start blooding a new line of players into the national side like his Tau team-mate, Pablo Prigioni.

"I definitely think that the young players should be given their chance in the team like Prigioni, who has shown he has the ability and so needs to be given the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do," said Scola.

Argentina played in the final of FIBA World Championship 2002 and lost to Yugoslavia in overtime, but hit back to win the Olympic title at the Athens Games.

Gold may be theirs at FIBA World Championship 2006 in Japan, too.

Scola believes that Argentina have little to prove after Greece.

"How can you do better than that?" he said. "I think that we showed there what our potential was and now it is going to be difficult to improve on that."

By Tim Hanlon, PA International, Exclusively for FIBA

Mr. Body
04-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Great. Scola is a winner. This popped out at me:

Scola admits he would value a good rest, too.

"(But) I think that there are still a lot of areas of my play that I could improve, especially in playing defence and on rebounding."

There was a dust-up during the Olympics last summer when Scola was perturbed that R.C. Buford called on him to work harder on his rebounding. Many feared it showed a lack of tact on Buford's part that would draw away a potential contributer, and Scola really did seem angered. At the time I did think Buford was foolish - this guy's playing at a high level for his own country and should be left alone - but it seems Luis has internalized the criticism. I've watched some games and do agree - he's not the best on the boards and doesn't seem to work that hard at them. But he seems to recognize that defense and rebounding are exactly what we'll need more of from him.

SilverPlayer
04-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Can't wait to see this guy in a spurs uniform...and I can't wait to see how Pop utilizes him. I really wonder if he can start next to Tim, and what kind of personel moves will be needed to make room for him.
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/afpji/20040829151/direct-gal-12-en1b.jpg

Mr. Body
04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
There will be few rookies that will have the same impact as Scola next year, though he'll be coming off the bench. He'll struggle on defense and is not a great rebounder, but can be a dynamic and savvy scorer and is deceptively athletic. Also, like other Argentinians in the league, with the exception of nancy-boy Delfino, he is well-coached and really understands the games. There were many surprised at Nocioni's performance for Chicago in their Game One. They shouldn't have been.

ShoogarBear
04-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Scola is 6'10"? Haven't people in here been saying he's only around 6'8"?

Kori Ellis
04-28-2005, 05:43 PM
He's always listed at 6'10 or 6'9. Most people who have seen him play a lot say he's around 6'8.

timvp
04-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Sounds like he could be another great Argentine bench player.

Just kidding, Argentina. Believe.

Solid D
04-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I doubt they will beat CSKA. CSKA = SA Spurs in Euroleague

I see no reason for Scola to stay another year. His buds are in the NBA playoffs and he has to watch.

Athenea
04-28-2005, 06:02 PM

I believe in good and evil. I believe there is no harm w/o retribution

Athenea
04-28-2005, 06:05 PM
I doubt they will beat CSKA. CSKA = SA Spurs in Euroleague

I see no reason for Scola to stay another year. His buds are in the NBA playoffs and he has to watch.
It's gonna be a hard tough series but Tau is looking better than ever. The additional confidence boost of making the Final Four could do the trick.
The favs to win are CSKA and Panathinaikos.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I hope his team wins the finals, and that he buys out of his contract like Nocioni.

Scola has no reason to wait another year.

picnroll
04-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Euroleague finals are played in Moscow, no, essentially CSKA's homecourt. Tht will be one tough win for Tau.

grjr
04-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I still think there's a chance we can get Big Dog next year for the MLE. That would give Scola the chance to play out his Euro contract; although he wouldn't like it very much.

T Park
04-28-2005, 11:06 PM
grjr, why would you make him play one more year over there??

Bring him on over.

Replace Massenburg on the roster with him, if Horry wants to come back for another year, give him Massenburg's minutes.

This guy is gonna be great. 6'10???? When did he grow 2 inches?

grjr
04-29-2005, 12:37 AM
grjr, why would you make him play one more year over there??

Bring him on over.

Replace Massenburg on the roster with him, if Horry wants to come back for another year, give him Massenburg's minutes.

This guy is gonna be great. 6'10???? When did he grow 2 inches?

That would only be if Big Dog would take the MLE to stay with us. If by some chance he would then you have to leave Scola there because we'd have no money to sign him.

Scola has always been listed as 6'10" but he's probably an NBA 6'9".

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-29-2005, 01:01 AM
In centimetres he is listed as 206 cmts. or 2.06 metres. That would be 6'9'' and a bit more. I don't know if it is with or without shoes, but I guess it's without.

Athenea
04-29-2005, 01:03 AM
In socks.

T Park
04-29-2005, 01:08 AM
That would only be if Big Dog would take the MLE to stay with us

From how he has played??

I wouldn't give him anything close to a piece of the MLE.

Scola, and either Bobby Simmons or Devin Brown should get a piece of that.

grjr
04-29-2005, 01:37 AM
From how he has played??

I wouldn't give him anything close to a piece of the MLE.

Scola, and either Bobby Simmons or Devin Brown should get a piece of that.

I'm extropolating to how he WILL play before the playoffs are over. :lol Maybe we should ask NostraJimus what he thinks.

Let's reopen this conversation after the playoffs and see if you still wouldn't want him for the MLE. Oh, and Devin can be signed without using ANY of the MLE (assuming the new CBA is the same as the current one).

T Park
04-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Actually you might be right on Devin we will see, guys like Chump and Solid D who are as smart maybe smarter than most NBA GMs on the CBA could answer that.

No problem, but I still wouldn't give money to a Glenn Robinson, when you have a potential All Star in Scola over there.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Attention all Argentinian posters:

I have said that Scola will make it in the NBA.

As you were.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Attention all Argentinian posters:

I have said that Scola will make it in the NBA.

As you were.

Now he'll get injured, passed by the 30 NBA teams and left without a contract in Spain. He'll beg for money in the streets.... :depressed

:lol *Knocks wood*

Just to prove you wrong! :spin

hendrix
04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
He's 2,06m. Period. Feets and Inches are 2,5 times less accurate (unless you divide inches, which proves the point too)

UnknownPlayer
04-29-2005, 09:07 PM
he better leave euro and come to the Spurs

Of course, but not to the Spurs.
There is no chance that other team can get him?

TwoHandJam
04-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Of course, but not to the Spurs.
There is no chance that other team can get him?
No. The Spurs own his rights for the NBA currently.

smeagol
04-29-2005, 09:46 PM

:lol

Nikos
04-29-2005, 09:48 PM

:lol Good one my nikka.

:smokin

Solid D
04-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Sometime prior to the 05-06 season the NBA league officials and the NBA players union will negotiate either a new agreement or an extension to the current agreement. Hopefully, it won't impact league play.

Many people conjecture that Scola can be signed to a deal similar to fellow countryman, Andres Nocioni. Patricia's database says that Nocioni signed a 3-year deal for $8.3 meg.

http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts

Luis Scola reportedly has 1 year remaining on his contract with Tau Ceramica after he completes Euroleague play. If the contract with Tau is $1-2M and Tau mgmt. holds him to it, then the Spurs are allowed by the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) to pay up to $350K toward the buy-out. The additional buy-out would need to come out of the signing bonus or contract money.

A signing bonus is limited to 25% of the contract value, but it must be divided out in equal amounts throughout the term of the contract. On a 3-year $10M deal, any signing bonus (up to $2.5M) would be split up equally over those 3 years ($833K/yr.). Scola would have to come up with any buy-out money over and above the first year allowable amount.

With that said, a new CBA with new rules might throw all that out the window. Scola may want to wait for that new agreement...but then again, he may be better off not waiting. I know Tony Parker didn't want to gamble on the outcome...or at least that was 1 factor in him signing the extension last summer.

Same thing goes for the Mid-Level Exception. New CBA agreement, instead of an extension, might look very different...if there is an MLE.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2005, 10:03 PM
New CBA agreement, instead of an extension, might look very different...if there is an MLE.

That's going to be very interesting. If they end up eliminating the MLE and splitting into two smaller exceptions, I think that will change what happens in free agency quite a bit.

T Park
04-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Two smaller exceptions would be perfect.

One for Scola, the other for, uhhh, I dont know.

I would be all for this summer though working sign and trades for either Ray Allen or Michael Redd though.

You put either one of those guys on this team, and this team is damn near unbeatable.

Pandaemonaeon
04-29-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't want to rain on the "I love Scola" parade, but do you really think it's wise to add another Gringo? Why not make a run at Reggie Evans? That guy is the shit, and I'm sure when K-Mart tries to mouth off at him, he's going to pound his cake-ass to hell! Oh you feel me!

Solid D
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Evans is "rebounds only", with very little scoring ability except on 2nd chances. He certainly has Spurs FT % touch. He is this generation's Larry "Mr. Mean" Smith.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Besides, Nazr is already boarding at a Reggie-like clip as a Spur. Maybe look for a guy like that on the cheap in case Nazr leaves the following season, but no need to spend any exception money on that -- my vote is for Rodney Bias.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:06 AM
I vote for Packaging Rasho, Beno, and Barry, getting either Allen or Redd, and using the exception money for a backup point guard.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Why would anyone want Rasho/Beno/Barry for their franchise player?

Pandaemonaeon
04-30-2005, 12:14 AM
^ Seattle doesn't want to go higher than $68-million/5 years. If a team wants to offer more money/years, then Allen's going there in a sign-and-trade and for Seattle to comply, you need to throw some players. I doubt Barry and Rasho's going to spark some interest, though.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Of course they are going to likely do a sign and trade. I'm just saying that they can get more than Barry/Rasho/Beno.

Pandaemonaeon
04-30-2005, 12:19 AM
In the likelihood that SA gets Allen, does that mean Ginobili is going to come off the bench again?

timvp
04-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Manu should come off the bench either way.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:20 AM
In the likelihood that SA gets Allen, does that mean Ginobili is going to come off the bench again?

To get Ray Allen, the Spurs would have to trade Manu.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:22 AM
I would trade anyone not named Parker Duncan to get Ray Allen or Michael Redd.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 12:23 AM
After lowballing all our stars, what makes anyone think we're going to max out Allen?

Solid D
04-30-2005, 12:27 AM
No need to trade one talented Champion for one talented, no-ring bearing, one-end of court star. Why do that?

smeagol
04-30-2005, 12:39 AM
No need to trade one talented Champion for one talented, no-ring bearing, one-end of court star. Why do that?
Because some people don't get it.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah we would hate to have a 27 point a game, three point deadeye on this team.

Some country's homers dont get it.

smeagol
04-30-2005, 12:46 AM
So Solid is the one who is asking the question, clearly implying its not a good idea, and you attack me?

Phonzie20
04-30-2005, 12:47 AM
So Solid is the one who is asking the question, clearly implying its not a good idea, and you attack me?

He didn't attack you.

smeagol
04-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Yes he did

hendrix
04-30-2005, 07:09 AM

Manu could easily score 27 points a game if he was selfish and taked a lot more shots. I mean, come on... you've seen all those statistics talking about the intangibles about Manu.
But whatever...
I dont even get yet why the starting point guard for the Olympic Champion is playing in Europe and others are at the NBA.
Was John Chaney so wrong?
Was Magnano (Argentine Team coach) so damn wrong?
The only thing with Pepe is that he takes too few shots and sometimes he pays that price by not being very effective. But he is a rather good shooter.
I remember one time he made an Atlantic 10 record when shooting 7-7 from the 3pt line.
Are players supposed to be selfish in order to improve their careers?
Are assists, ball control and defense overrated?
I know Pepe is no Steve Nash but watching play a lot of NBA point guards i kind of wondered.
Oh yeah... back to Manu and Ray Allen, my point is good individualities dont necessarily make a winning team. Ask Team USA.

picnroll
04-30-2005, 08:43 AM

Manu's defense, assists, ability to create shots for others, rebounding, steals, energizing are worth far more than the ten extra points Allen is bringing. Then you have age. Thanks but no thanks.

T Park
04-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Ray Allen is probobly the best shooter in the game today.

That IMO, would bring unbelieveable dividends.

But, it aint happenin so oh well.

Pepe sanchez stinks, there was a reason he couldn't stick with an NBA team.

ALVAREZ6
04-30-2005, 08:46 AM
How does he suck?

He's better than you isn't he?

hendrix
04-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Ray Allen is probobly the best shooter in the game today.
That IMO, would bring unbelieveable dividends.
But, it aint happenin so oh well.

Whatever. Ben Gordon is a damn good shooter too, but Skiles decided not to start such a bad defender.

Obviously most people in the NBA think like you, but i just wondered how can the starting point guard of the Olympic champion be not considered good enough.
Back to Chicago, Duhon at the point doenst do anything than Pepe cannot (and Pepe does more IMO) and the Bulls are doing fine for an almost all rookie team, right?

Solid D
04-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Hendrix, I agree that Pepe can play, but he hasn't been able to make waves in the NBA. There were reports a couple of summers ago that the Spurs were wanting to sign him. He is a terrific defender and consumate team player. He just isn't offensively oriented enough for the NBA perhaps. He is not one to beat guys off the dribble and he just hasn't shot well enough or often enough to help the teams he's played with.

It's interesting you mention the Chris Duhon comparison. Chicago basically runs two PGs with Kirk Hinrich actually listed as the PG but they both really can play the position. Pepe would probably do well in that lineup alongside Hinrich because of Hinrich's scoring ability. Pepe's 6-4, to Duhon's 6-1 size so that could work. Pepe just hasn't been able to score or create his own shots and that has hurt him in the NBA. Duhon has been able to do that.

T Park
04-30-2005, 10:20 AM
He's better than you isn't he?

another intelligent argentinian response.

UnknownPlayer
04-30-2005, 11:04 AM
T Panqueque get a mirror.

ALVAREZ6
04-30-2005, 11:15 AM
another intelligent argentinian response.
another intelligent american response.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 01:31 PM
I think sports are a matter of intense patriotism in Argentina, that's the only explanation I can find for how much animosity we get here for the slightest criticism.

Oh well, sticks and stones right? It was like that here once, I'm not sure what happened but look at how well America supports her players now, 2004 summer olympics?

Scola worries me, if we bring him over here can he be another great success story? I sure hope so.

T Park
04-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Scola worries me, if we bring him over here can he be another great success story? I sure hope so

I think hell be good.

Whether hes Ginobili level we will see.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I would trade anyone not named Parker Duncan to get Ray Allen or Michael Redd.

I would trade Parker with my eyes closed, not even thinking about it to get Allen or Redd, but Manu?

I would only trade Manu for Allen, but for Redd? I would ask another player involved or a high draft pick, otherwise the Spurs lose in the trade.

I agree that Pepe is a good player, but his style didn't fit into the NBA nowadays. When 90% of the players in the league want to shoot, shoot, shoot when the ball is in their hands, Pepe is a "pass-first" point guard. His defence is excellent, just watch how he guarded Iverson, Marbury, Baron Davis or Kidd in the times he played against them. But that is exactly the kind of player he should play with, a scoring PG, or a scorinh SG. He would fit nicely along players like Iverson, McGrady or Carter, who take more than 20 shots per game.

About Scola, he would fit well into the Spurs rotation if the buyout can be solved. His first year he would go into Robert Horry's spot in the rotation. Because his defence (man to man, he defends well in a zone), and his rebounding would need to be worked through the year.

T Park
04-30-2005, 06:41 PM
hey manu.

Your gonna trade a 22 year old point guard averaging 16 and 7 a game that can play damn near every game.

And not a shooting guard who can only give 28 mins a game and play 70 a year???

Uh yeah ok.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Have you read his handle T Park? don't you think he's a little biased? Look at the playoff history of this team, since 2001 as Parker goes so go the Spurs.

*Caugh* 16 and 6 *caugh*

smeagol
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
And not a shooting guard who can only give 28 mins a game and play 70 a year???
T Park, thanks, you've opened my eyes. Thanks for making me understand that Manu is just one more of the hundreds of SGs out there. We could replace him in a heartbeat. And worst of all, he can only play 28 mps (where the fuck did you get that from) and 70 games a year (he played more games then TD both last year and this year).

smeagol
04-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Have you read his handle T Park? don't you think he's a little biased? Look at the playoff history of this team, since 2001 as Parker goes so go the Spurs.

*Caugh* 16 and 6 *caugh*
And you are not biased?

C'mon man, you should take the mask off. You have favored TP over Manu on every thread the topic has been discussed. You are as biased as the Argentineans who favor Manu, but the other way. You like TP more than Manu. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't come in here on your high horse: "look at his handle" "he is biased"

Hilarious.

mattyc
05-01-2005, 08:46 AM
2005-06 is time for Scola.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
And you are not biased?

C'mon man, you should take the mask off. You have favored TP over Manu on every thread the topic has been discussed. You are as biased as the Argentineans who favor Manu, but the other way. You like TP more than Manu. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't come in here on your high horse: "look at his handle" "he is biased"

Hilarious.

I have no reason to be biased, I think Parker is a better player, and I have a reason to:

in 2002 against the Lakers, the only game we won was the game the rookie PG Tony Parker went off in.

In 2003 we were like 21-1 in games Parker scored 20 pts. in and in the post season his play got us momentum and won us the Phoenix series, after taking heavy criticism for being outplayed by Starbury, he torched him. Then against the Lakers we only won the games Parker played well in. Against the Mavericks Parker was a man possesed the whole series. In the Finals he had two bad games but 4 great ones, two of which he badly outplayed Jason Kidd in. BTW SJax was more important to the title run the season than Manu.

In 2004, Manu didn't show up in the first or second rounds, but Parker was the best player on the floor for the first 6 games of the playoffs, once the Lakers started body checking him every time he put the ball on the floor we started to lose, and Manu was no where to be seen, Hell Devin Brown was better for us.

And the reason you never have seen me take Manu's side is because you haven't been here very long, in the begining of the season there was a thread about who's game would take a bigger leap this season and who would become our second All-Star, Manu or Parker, I said not only would Manu make larger strides this season, but he would also be our all star because he makes flash plays that you can show on Sports Center. No one else concured, but I was right.

I'm not biased, Tony Parker is the most important cog for this team, because he carries us through the playoffs. After Tim Duncan every player on the spurs roster is stoppable, so having parker step up is what makes us so tough to beat. Yes Manu was big tonight, but we could never win a championship without Parker, substitute today's Devin Brown with 03's Ginobili and you already have won a championship without Manu.

smeagol
05-01-2005, 04:33 PM
In 2003 we were like 21-1 in games Parker scored 20 pts. in and in the post season his play got us momentum and won us the Phoenix series, after taking heavy criticism for being outplayed by Starbury, he torched him. Then against the Lakers we only won the games Parker played well in. Against the Mavericks Parker was a man possesed the whole series. In the Finals he had two bad games but 4 great ones, two of which he badly outplayed Jason Kidd in. BTW SJax was more important to the title run the season than Manu.

This paragrapgh proves nothing. You are comparing a starting PG, playing 30-35 mpg with a guy who was injured for half of the season, and came of the bench for the other half and averaged less than 20 mpg.

In 2004, Manu didn't show up in the first or second rounds,
What? Please take a poll to see if manu did or did not show up in 2004 and get back to me. He did not have a stellar series, but he certainly played well many games, scoring 18-22 points several times coming off the bench.

but Parker was the best player on the floor for the first 6 games of the playoffs, once the Lakers started body checking him every time he put the ball on the floor we started to lose,
Parker had a stellar two first games against LA. Then he disappeard, starting a pattern which is now way too familiar. Not sure you can use the 2004 series as an argument because neither TP nor manu showed the world what they are capable of doing.

and Manu was no where to be seen, Hell Devin Brown was better for us.
Again you show you biased side against Manu. He did not disappear. He was not a difference maker, but he definetly showed up. Ask Tpark. He probably agrees with TP>Manu but he is not as blind as you are. And Devin had one or two good games. Just because they were the last ones, and the ones people remember more, does not mean he was more valuable than Manu.

And the reason you never have seen me take Manu's side is because you haven't been here very long,
Unless you posted under another handle in the past . . . I remember you starting posting not so long ago. I was hear and I can remember every Manu vs Parker debate, you through on the table your biased arguments. Look, I don't even have to link them. They are here, in this thread.

in the begining of the season there was a thread about who's game would take a bigger leap this season and who would become our second All-Star, Manu or Parker, I said not only would Manu make larger strides this season, but he would also be our all star because he makes flash plays that you can show on Sports Center.
Again, your argument is biased against Manu. He makes flashy plays that make it into SC, true, but he does a million other things that make him an AS. Please don't get me started on this one.

No one else concured, but I was right.
Props to you.

I'm not biased, Tony Parker is the most important cog for this team, because he carries us through the playoffs.
Where do you come up with this shit? In 02 he played a fundamental role, but he did not carry us. Other players played as a fundamental role as TP played if not more. And Manu, with the limited minutes he played, did his part.

TP has never carried a team the way Manu has. And from what we have seen from the series against the Nuggets, its manu not Parker who is carrying the team.

After Tim Duncan every player on the spurs roster is stoppable, so having parker step up is what makes us so tough to beat.
Go and tell that to PHO or to the Nuggets. Manu, as well as TP, can be unstoppable on any given night.

Yes Manu was big tonight, but we could never win a championship without Parker, substitute today's Devin Brown with 03's Ginobili and you already have won a championship without Manu.
Manu was big tonight? That's all?. This is why I'm saying you are so blind and biased. Manu is the reason we are 2-1 vs. the Nuggets. Nobody else but Manu. He turned the tide of the game late in the 1st Q when he came in and he, singlehandedly pushed the Spurs to make a run. If Manu would not have played the way he did in the first half, when almost every other Spur was daydreaming, I venture to say we could have been blown out. Moreover, he had a good 1st game, with 23 pts and he had a very good 2nd game with 17 pts in 18 minutes. IMO, he is carrying the Spurs so far. TP has been MIA.

In a nutshell, this is why I firmly believe you are biased in favor of TP, when arguing who is better, Manu or Tony. You never give Manu the props he deserves, you are always downplaying his achievements (making it to the ASG, his role in last year's playoffs, how he played yesterday).

I have no reason to be biased,
Not sure why you are, but you are biased, make no mistake about it. You are even more biased that what I am in favor of Manu

SequSpur
05-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Is this another Manu is God topics or another Argentina Gold Medal topic? WGAF.

Of course Manu is playing well this playoff series and Parker isn't.

Pop bringing Manu off the bench is a good move. He gets to see the game unfold in the 1st quarter and then come in to help the team adjust and to get on a roll. That is exactly what he has done the past 2 games.

As for Scola, this dude isn't or might not ever be a spur. Who cares.