PDA

View Full Version : Taking a look at the last 10 opponents for the Spurs

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Obviously, it's incredibly frustrating being a Spurs fan right now considering all the excitement going into the season and the the Spurs inability to play consistent basketball for 48 minutes. However, I was going over the last 10 games and while it sucks to see the Spurs drop so many games, the competition they faced was much tougher than their records indicated.

Here's the last 10 games and the streak that opponent was on during a 10 game stretch:

Wed 13 @ Oklahoma W 109-108 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Fri 15 @ Charlotte L 76-92 (In the midst of winning 9 out of 10)
Sat 16 @ Memphis L 86-92 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Mon 18 @ New Orleans W 97-90 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Wed 20 vs Utah L 98-105 (In the midst of going 9-1)
Fri 22 vs Houston L 109-116 (Won 5 of their last 10)
Mon 25 vs Chicago L 93-98 (In the midst of going 9-2 in 11 games)
Wed 27 vs Atlanta W 105-90 (won 8 of their last 10 at the time)
Fri 29 vs Memphis W 104-97 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Sun 31 vs Denver L 89-103 (Won 8 of their last 9)

The only game that looked somewhat lopsided was the Denver, and that score is a bit askew as the Nuggets broke the game open in the final minutes. Otherwise it was a 2 point game with 5 minutes left or so. So while the defense needs to really improve, I think this Spurs slump has just as much to do with the Spurs facing very hot competition that wasn't just beating the Spurs, but a lot of teams during this stretch.

I bring this up because I feel it's something to think about and take into consideration. This RRT will be huge but I don't think it's necessarily doomsday for the Spurs going into their next 10 games.

So the Spurs aren't playing great, but the competition are playing well and not just against the Spurs. At least during the time they faced the Spurs.

Silver&Black Warrior
02-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Excellent insight.

StoneBuddha
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Good research. Helps balance out the doomsday scenario's out there.

Hopefully, the Spurs can get over the hump on this RR trip.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 10:54 PM
What's your point? Everybody knows they're good teams, the problem is that our record in those 10 games is 4-6... with 6 of those games at home...
I think we all know we can beat bad teams, what we're having problems with is the good teams...

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Point is it isn't just losing to "good" teams, but good teams that were winning at an 80% clip around the time they faced us. Yet we still kept a lot of those games close. If we're still in games despite the numerous troubles this team is facing, I'm sure they can really benefit down the stretch.

RJ and Dice are gonna make are break this team. They've shown potential, but now we just need consistency.

And hopefully Manu gets his shot back soon.

Chieflion
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't care. We can win those games. All the Spurs have been doing is padding the other team's win column.

murpjf88
02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Obviously, it's incredibly frustrating being a Spurs fan right now considering all the excitement going into the season and the the Spurs inability to play consistent basketball for 48 minutes. However, I was going over the last 10 games and while it sucks to see the Spurs drop so many games, the competition they faced was much tougher than their records indicated.

Here's the last 10 games and the streak that opponent was on during a 10 game stretch:

Wed 13 @ Oklahoma W 109-108 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Fri 15 @ Charlotte L 76-92 (In the midst of winning 9 out of 10)
Sat 16 @ Memphis L 86-92 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Mon 18 @ New Orleans W 97-90 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Wed 20 vs Utah L 98-105 (In the midst of going 9-1)
Fri 22 vs Houston L 109-116 (Won 5 of their last 10)
Mon 25 vs Chicago L 93-98 (In the midst of going 9-2 in 11 games)
Wed 27 vs Atlanta W 105-90 (won 8 of their last 10 at the time)
Fri 29 vs Memphis W 104-97 (Won 8 of their last 10)
Sun 31 vs Denver L 89-103 (Won 8 of their last 9)

The only game that looked somewhat lopsided was the Denver, and that score is a bit askew as the Nuggets broke the game open in the final minutes. Otherwise it was a 2 point game with 5 minutes left or so. So while the defense needs to really improve, I think this Spurs slump has just as much to do with the Spurs facing very hot competition that wasn't just beating the Spurs, but a lot of teams during this stretch.

I bring this up because I feel it's something to think about and take into consideration. This RRT will be huge but I don't think it's necessarily doomsday for the Spurs going into their next 10 games.

So the Spurs aren't playing great, but the competition are playing well and not just against the Spurs. At least during the time they faced the Spurs.

So, your saying the Spurs hit a spell of bad luck.

TD 21
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Point is it isn't just losing to "good" teams, but good teams that were winning at an 80% clip around the time they faced us. Yet we still kept a lot of those games close. If we're still in games despite the numerous troubles this team is facing, I'm sure they can really benefit down the stretch.

RJ and Dice are gonna make are break this team. They've shown potential, but now we just need consistency.

And hopefully Manu gets his shot back soon.

How nice, more rationalizing of losses. This team is supposed to be a top five regular season team and a legitimate contender (including better than EVERY TEAM played in that stretch). Those teams don't use any type of schedule as an excuse to lose as consistently as this team does, particularly against the good teams. There is no excuse, there's just the reality, which is that, until proven otherwise, this team is a pretender.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
We've been "close" in every freaking game. I can't recall getting straight blown out this season. We even had 20 point leads against good teams. We obviously beat the champs.
What we've been unable to do is win with defense. Whenever we needed to get a stop on a close game, we've failed miserably and consequently lost the game. Sunday was a good test because it was a game where we didn't shot well, but we could have won if we made stops at the end. Unfortunately, we folded, at home, again.

I still think we can turn this around, but it's going to take a big improvement on defense.

DPG21920
02-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't care about win/loss as much as how the team is playing. I can live with losses when the team plays well, but runs into, as you eluded to, a hot team. These loses are not encouraging though. They showcase the Spurs glaring problems. There is no silver lining at this point, although I have seen flashes of greatness that give me a glimmer of hope.

Interesting POV though.

timtonymanu
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
doesnt matter. spurs should have been winning these games. if anything this stretch just shows how shitty our team is against winning teams. im scared of the playoffs. i dont know who's a safe bet to play in the first round.

TD 21
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't care about win/loss as much as how the team is playing. I can live with losses when the team plays well, but runs into, as you eluded to, a hot team. These loses are not encouraging though. The showcase the Spurs glaring problems. There is no silver lining at this point, although I have seen flashes of greatness that give me a glimmer of hope.

Interesting POV though.

Well you better care about win/loss at this point in the season if you're remotely interested about this team at least doing some damage in the playoffs. I don't know many 4-5 seeds that do that (3 is still possible). Don't you guys get it? You don't "run into a hot team" every two out of four games. At some point, it's you (not really you; the Spurs) that's the problem. This team can't execute at either end and in virtually all aspects, down the stretch of games. We've see it all season. It's either turnovers, or failing to get key defensive rebounds, or failing to execute a drawn up play, or missing wide open three's, or failing to contain dribble penetration. With Parker limited due to plantar fasciitis, they don't have a devastating scorer, save for the odd game where Duncan is just relentless and drags them to victory.

It's not at all an interesting point of view; it's a foolish one. Aside from blind hope or a significant trade, there is nothing to be optimistic about at this point.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 11:38 PM
FWIW, Sacramento, our next rival, is taking the Nuggets to overtime in Denver right now...
Can't sleep on anybody these days...

Chomag
02-01-2010, 11:40 PM
And what is the current record against +500 teams so far this season? If the team was doing so well would you really need to find any excuse to rationalize their poor play?

TD 21
02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
FWIW, Sacramento, our next rival, is taking the Nuggets to overtime in Denver right now...
Can't sleep on anybody these days...

Good. The Kings have been so bad for so long that they were due for a game against an unsuspecting good team where they, at minimum push them, if not beat them. I figured that team would be the Spurs, but hopefully it's the Nuggets. Not only is that a team that it's always beneficial for the Spurs if they lose, but it likely means that, should the Kings win, they'll be right back to their losing ways next game, because the slight pressure that a team that bad feels will be off for the next while.

ElNono
02-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Billups can't hit a 3 to save his life tonight... :pctoss

sabar
02-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Well you better care about win/loss at this point in the season if you're remotely interested about this team at least doing some damage in the playoffs. I don't know many 4-5 seeds that do that (3 is still possible). Don't you guys get it? You don't "run into a hot team" every two out of four games. At some point, it's you (not really you; the Spurs) that's the problem. This team can't execute at either end and in virtually all aspects, down the stretch of games. We've see it all season. It's either turnovers, or failing to get key defensive rebounds, or failing to execute a drawn up play, or missing wide open three's, or failing to contain dribble penetration. With Parker limited due to plantar fasciitis, they don't have a devastating scorer, save for the odd game where Duncan is just relentless and drags them to victory.

It's not at all an interesting point of view; it's a foolish one. Aside from blind hope or a significant trade, there is nothing to be optimistic about at this point.

http://www.wingstaiwan.com/avatars/oh_noes.gif

Its about getting the full picture, not about rationalizing suckage.

timvp
02-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Great post, Amuseddaysleeper. When analyzing the recent struggles to win, your research should rightfully be included. Obviously, it doesn't make up for any of the losses or make the current situation look any rosier, however it's indeed interesting and perhaps in hindsight will make the recent woes more understandable.

Sean Cagney
02-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Billups can't hit a 3 to save his life tonight... :pctoss

Against us as most though of course they hit them at a 60% or so clip :bang, GO FIGURE! Teams light up against us for some reason, it's a damn curse I tell you.

boutons_deux
02-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Whatever, Spurs are at risk to miss 50W and the playoffs.

timtonymanu
02-02-2010, 05:37 AM
Against us as most though of course they hit them at a 60% or so clip :bang, GO FIGURE! Teams light up against us for some reason, it's a damn curse I tell you.

what's more annoying is the people not known for scoring or the inconsistent guys going off?

Nuggets - Afflalo
Bulls - Hinrich
Mavericks - Howard and Terry (all the fucking time)
Jazz - Kirilenko and Boozer

the list goes on and on.

anonoftheinternets
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
what's more annoying is the people not known for scoring or the inconsistent guys going off?

Nuggets - Afflalo
Bulls - Hinrich

the list goes on and on.

actually most times something lik ethat happens, a good executing team is expected to weather it and still win. We are defintely good enough to compete with any team .... prob is 4th quarter/3rd quarter execution, when push comes to shove, this team needs to find an identity. Its not impossible, its just difficult since so many people are new. But they will get there.

jcrod
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
All this tells me what we've known all season long. They can't beat the good team.

z0sa
Now imagine if we'd have just won a few more of those games and made some statements.. RRT is here, we needed some quality wins for our confidence and we didn't get em. Look forward and hope we don't find ourselves hunting after yet another silver lining, because this team is steadily approaching 'BREAK' if everyone, coach included, doesn't step up (if they can...)

ElNono

Nuggets - Afflalo
Bulls - Hinrich

the list goes on and on.

Afflalo pretty much hit the game winner for Denver in overtime last night...
And Kirilenko flat out destroyed the Mavs in the 4th with Boozer out last night also...

So, it's definitely not just against us that they shine...

Chomag
02-02-2010, 10:43 AM

Or it could just be the defencive pressure. :lol

TD 21
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Great post, Amuseddaysleeper. When analyzing the recent struggles to win, your research should rightfully be included. Obviously, it doesn't make up for any of the losses or make the current situation look any rosier, however it's indeed interesting and perhaps in hindsight will make the recent woes more understandable.

What about this teams struggles against good teams (this has actually been a trend that dates back further than this season) clearly indicating that they're not a contender, do you guys not get? There is no silver lining at this point to be taken from those losses. It's gotten to the point now where if they can't beat these teams (and they can't), then they're just not that good a team. It's simple. No more "it's early" or "you don't win a championship in (insert month)" nonsense. There's 36 games and roughly 2 and 1/2 months until the playoffs. That may sound like a lot of time to cure what ails this team, but really it's not. Not when you consider the depth of their problems.

If they were going to (as they like to say) "turn the corner", they'd have done it by now. I'm not saying they'd be in playoff form, but we'd have seen more tangible progression than we have. Look at the Bobcats, Grizzlies and Raptors; those are teams that have clearly progressed. They're past the point of just being on a hot streak. I don't have monthly team stats at my disposal right now, but really, I can't think of any steady month-to-month progression in any one area that indicates to me that this team is on their way to being a contender. In most areas, they've either stagnated or declined. Really, other than rebounding and points per game, this is essentially statistically the same team as last season.

in2deep
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
you are stating the obvious. The Spurs cannot beat a really good team this season. Sky is blue.

TD 21
02-02-2010, 04:57 PM
you are stating the obvious. The Spurs cannot beat a really good team this season. Sky is blue.

It's not just this season. I don't have the win/loss record against elite teams in the past four seasons, but this is a trend that was beginning to rear it's ugly head in 06-07. By 07-08, it had become alarming and by 08-09 it was a full blown problem. In 09-10, it's gone beyond a full blown problem and turned into a clear indication that this team is just not that good anymore. Many are still clinging to "new guys learning the system" or "it's early in the season" or "the rodeo trip will cure what ails them", but really, all they're doing is setting themselves up for the latest disappointment.

Obvious, really? Have you read this thread? Apparently, it's not an issue. It's completely understandable to consistently lose to other good teams because (get this), shockingly, other good teams are playing good. Who'd have thought that? Never mind that team was at home, rested and mostly healthy. No, none of that matters. Poor them for having to play some actual credible competition. And, of course, when they play credible competition, there's always got to be a built in excuse(s) to lose.

in2deep
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
It's not just this season. I don't have the win/loss record against elite teams in the past four seasons, but this is a trend that was beginning to rear it's ugly head in 06-07. By 07-08, it had become alarming and by 08-09 it was a full blown problem. In 09-10, it's gone beyond a full blown problem and turned into a clear indication that this team is just not that good anymore. Many are still clinging to "new guys learning the system" or "it's early in the season" or "the rodeo trip will cure what ails them", but really, all they're doing is setting themselves up for the latest disappointment.

Obvious, really? Have you read this thread? Apparently, it's not an issue. It's completely understandable to consistently lose to other good teams because (get this), shockingly, other good teams are playing good. Who'd have thought that? Never mind that team was at home, rested and mostly healthy. No, none of that matters. Poor them for having to play some actual credible competition. And, of course, when they play credible competition, there's always got to be a built in excuse(s) to lose.

while I agree with some of this. It's very different this time. Last few seasons we were losing because we had one of the worst offensive teams in basketball. we were giving tons of minutes to Bowen, Oberto, Jacque Vaugn, Finley, etc.

This season we have a very good offensive team. Our defense is what is shit now. we are making players like Boozer, Kirilenko, Noah, Aldridge, Kmart look like first ballot HOFers. That shit did not use to happen before.

so no, it's not like past seasons. Last seasons if we tightened the rotation and defense, we could have a chance. This season although we have more weapons, our problem is more fundamental.

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I made a post in November or December about the Spurs struggles against elite teams the past few seasons and I pointed out the records..I also compared it to the records of previous title teams in the past from the 90's until now..the records for the Spurs the past few seasons weren't flattering, TD 21..

From what I remember, there were only 3 title teams in the 90's until now that didn't have a dominant record vs. +.500 teams..only 1 of the teams had a record under .500..the '99 Spurs, the 2004 Pistons, and the 2006 Heat..

The '99 Spurs' record vs. these types of teams got better as the season went along, and part of the struggles were due to the overall struggle of the team to start the season, as most here would know..

The 2004 Pistons had an average record vs. these types of teams until the Rasheed trade happened..after that, they looked like a much more dominant team and had a good record vs. the good teams in the NBA..

The 2006 Heat were the only team that had an under .500 record vs. teams that were +.500..they were an anomaly in almost every category in comparison to title teams in the modern NBA..they were truly a strange team that nobody would expect to win a title if they just looked at the stats of the team..they certainly benefited from the Mavs' choking, the Spurs losing in OT in game 7 and Wade receiving questionable calls..either way, they won the title and earned it, but they were an anomaly..

Looking at the Spurs record vs. +.500 teams, it's obvious that the Spurs aren't contenders(obviously almost every other factor also shows that the Spurs aren't contenders too)..as we've seen with a few other teams though, a significant trade can spark a team and turn it around in general and vs. the better teams, even though it's unlikely..

DPG21920
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
The thing is that there is a difference in going through some struggles, doing some stat work and realizing you just played a brutal schedule but knowing you can get back to a high level or where you were. But this team is not and has not been playing well and the fact they are losing has nothing to do with their strength of schedule. For right now, that is just something that adds to the problem when the real problem is the level of play.

They have not put together a really good stretch yet of consistent, high-level basketball. Even though they are "not getting blown out", when you watch the game, it feels like they have been. This team needs something and I am not sure what. I still believe that they can turn it around based on some things I have seen, but if it takes a raging fire to win, these Spurs are just an amber right now.

kace
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
it could be interesting (but long) to look at the teams that our opponents faced during their good strecht that the OP pointed.

To know if we were really playing against very hot teams, or just good teams who had the record for the past ten games they were supposed to have considering their opposition.

TD 21
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
while I agree with some of this. It's very different this time. Last few seasons we were losing because we had one of the worst offensive teams in basketball. we were giving tons of minutes to Bowen, Oberto, Jacque Vaugn, Finley, etc.

This season we have a very good offensive team. Our defense is what is shit now. we are making players like Boozer, Kirilenko, Noah, Aldridge, Kmart look like first ballot HOFers. That shit did not use to happen before.

so no, it's not like past seasons. Last seasons if we tightened the rotation and defense, we could have a chance. This season although we have more weapons, our problem is more fundamental.

Good point. I know this is a different team, but still, this is something that has continued to trend in the wrong direction for a few seasons, even though (outside of Bowen) the core has remained the same.

People say that about the defense (and I don't disagree), but the stats don't tell the same story. I think right now they're ranked 7th offensively and 9th defensively, so there's not nearly the gulf between the two areas as many presume.

It is like past seasons because the primary issue is still the same (only worse). The only difference is it's a new cast of players.

I made a post in November or December about the Spurs struggles against elite teams the past few seasons and I pointed out the records..I also compared it to the records of previous title teams in the past from the 90's until now..the records for the Spurs the past few seasons weren't flattering, TD 21..

From what I remember, there were only 3 title teams in the 90's until now that didn't have a dominant record vs. +.500 teams..only 1 of the teams had a record under .500..the '99 Spurs, the 2004 Pistons, and the 2006 Heat..

The '99 Spurs' record vs. these types of teams got better as the season went along, and part of the struggles were due to the overall struggle of the team to start the season, as most here would know..

The 2004 Pistons had an average record vs. these types of teams until the Rasheed trade happened..after that, they looked like a much more dominant team and had a good record vs. the good teams in the NBA..

The 2006 Heat were the only team that had an under .500 record vs. teams that were +.500..they were an anomaly in almost every category in comparison to title teams in the modern NBA..they were truly a strange team that nobody would expect to win a title if they just looked at the stats of the team..they certainly benefited from the Mavs' choking, the Spurs losing in OT in game 7 and Wade receiving questionable calls..either way, they won the title and earned it, but they were an anomaly..

Looking at the Spurs record vs. +.500 teams, it's obvious that the Spurs aren't contenders(obviously almost every other factor also shows that the Spurs aren't contenders too)..as we've seen with a few other teams though, a significant trade can spark a team and turn it around in general and vs. the better teams, even though it's unlikely..

I remember that post, HarlemHeat37.

The '06 Heat were an anomaly. It all comes back to law of averages. Even though championship teams are generally somewhere between very good-great, even amongst those, there's bound to be one that is somewhere between above average-good. The Heat happened to be that one (at least in recent times). Just like the '04 Pistons were an anomaly for a different reason, in that they won without a superstar.

Generally speaking, say 9 times out of 10, you have to be able to beat good teams at least relatively consistently throughout the regular season, in order to be a championship team. You don't just increasingly struggle with them over a 4 year period and then all of a sudden win a championship. That '07 run was really the perfect storm, from Finley and Horry finding the fountain of youth in the playoffs, to the Mavs being eliminated in round one, to the Suns greatly diminishing their chances, due to the suspensions, in round two and the Pistons being eliminated in round three. The Spurs only had to play one of the three other primary contenders and had as easy a Conference Finals opponent and Finals opponent as can be expected.

Agreed. Unless this team makes a trade of some type of significance (Stoudemire is a pipe dream, so I'll say Camby or someone of that ilk, even if it's a non-big), they're not a contender. There's overwhelming evidence to prove this and there's no logical reason left to believe otherwise.

in2deep
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM

good point but Lakers are not faring much better vs. good teams this year either. I could be wrong but I think Lakers are probably close to 50% vs. teams that win 60% of the time.

Truth is, this year is unlike any other year in the NBA

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
the Lakers are 18-10 vs. +.500 teams..that's a good record..

in2deep
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
the lakers are 18-10 vs. +.500 teams..that's a good record..

60%?

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
That's with an injury to their 2nd best player for a number of games, and I assume they'll get better in those games as well..also, that type of record is pretty common for title teams vs. +.500 teams..

Another thing is that the Lakers are overhyped/overrated by most people, especially coming into the season..

kace
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
60%?

64,285714285714285714285714285714 %

Kori Ellis
02-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Good research.

Though I'm not sold on this year's Spurs team, it's always interesting to break it down and see what's really been happening.