PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Simmons won Most Improved Player

Kori Ellis
04-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Just FYI.

Solid D
04-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Very deserved. He was one of our "reasonable" picks for this award. Of course, one of our "emotional" picks was Joe Prz. but I think he is still up for MOG (Most Outstanding Goaltender) Award. :hat

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Is it true that the NBA told Ben Wallace that Camby or Bowen was gonna win the Dpoy

Kori Ellis
04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
That's what was reported in the Detroit News. I am not sure if it's true.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I can't really see Camby winning it, because he missed as many games as Duncan missed, and thats the main reason Duncan isn't being mentioned for awards this year.

exstatic
04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
I can't really see Camby winning it, because he missed as many games as Duncan missed, and thats the main reason Duncan isn't being mentioned for awards this year.

And that was a GOOD year for Cotton Camby...

Pandaemonaeon
04-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Well deserved. He plays his heart off every single game, not just in April. Am I right, Pryzbilla?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-28-2005, 07:06 PM
It should have been a clean sweep of the voting for Bobby. For those of you who don't watch anything other than the Spurs, it'd be akin to Sato coming back next year and being a starter at SF and averaging 20,6, and 4.

juncan
04-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Bobby Simmons won Most Improved Player award

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/simmons_mip_050428.html

Clippers forward Bobby Simmons has been named the NBA’s Most Improved Player for the 2004-05 season, the National Basketball Association announced today. The annual award is presented to a player who has made a dramatic improvement from the previous season or seasons.

Simmons is the first Clipper to be honored with the Most Improved Player award since it was presented following the 1985-86 season when Alvin Robertson of the San Antonio Spurs was presented with the award.

Simmons received a total of 384 points, including 59 first-pace votes, from a panel of 123 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Miami’s Dwyane Wade finished second with 129 points (15 first-place votes) followed by Detroit’s Tayshaun Prince with 107 points (14 first-place votes). Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third place vote received.

In his second season with the Clippers, Simmons averaged career-highs of 16.4 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.4 steals and 37.3 minutes in 75 games played (74 starts). He also proved himself to be one of the most reliable outside shooters in the league, notching career bests in field goal percentage (.466) and three-point field goal percentage (.435) on the season. All in all, Simmons increased his career averages entering this season by +10.9 points, +2.7 rebounds, +.61 assists and +20.1 minutes per game.

“This is a well deserved honor for Bobby,” stated Clippers’ Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. “He worked hard during the offseason to improve his skills and the results were obvious.”

Simmons led the Clippers in three-point field goal percentage (.435) and minutes per game (37.3) in addition to being the team’s third leading scorer at 16.4 points per game. He recorded 23 games of 20 points or more as well as two 30 point games, tallying career-highs in virtually every statistical category on the year. Simmons also had 10 games with 10 or more rebounds and 10 points/rebound double-doubles during the season.

“Everyone in the Clippers organization is very happy and excited for Bobby and proud of what he has accomplished this season,” said Clippers’ Head Coach Mike Dunleavy. “The award is a testament to all of the hard work and effort Bobby has put in to improve his overall game.”

A four-year NBA veteran, Simmons now holds career averages of 9.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 24.9 minutes per game. Simmons was originally drafted out of DePaul in the second round (42nd overall) of the 2001 NBA Draft by the Seattle Sonics, before having his draft rights traded to the Washington Wizards. The Clippers signed Simmons as a free agent prior to the start of the 2003-04 season.

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Bobby Simmons, Clippers 59 23 20 384
Dwyane Wade, Miami 15 16 6 129
Tayshaun Prince, Detroit 14 9 10 107
Primoz Brezec, Charlotte 5 10 20 75
Dan Dickau, New Orleans 5 9 16 68
LeBron James, Cleveland 4 10 7 57
Amaré Stoudemire, Phoenix 5 6 3 46
Joel Przybilla, Portland 1 5 8 28
Larry Hughes, Washington 1 7 2 28
Chris Bosh, Toronto 1 3 7 21
Grant Hill, Orlando 2 2 1 17
Udonis Haslem, Miami 1 3 2 16
Damon Jones, Miami 2 1 1 14
Luke Ridnour, Seattle 1 2 3 14
Gilbert Arenas, Washington 1 2 2 13
Kirk Hinrich, Chicago 1 2 1 12
Kyle Korver, Philadelphia - 3 - 9
Tyson Chandler, Chicago - 2 2 8
Josh Howard, Dallas 1 - 2 7
Joe Johnson, Phoenix - 2 - 6
Vince Carter, New Jersey 1 - 1 6
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 1 - - 5
Eddie Curry, Chicago - 1 2 5
Shaquille O'Neal, Miami 1 - - 5
Shawn Marion, Phoenix 1 - - 5
Brevin Knight, Charlotte - 1 - 3
Fred Jones, Indiana - 1 - 3
Gerald Wallace, Charlotte - 1 - 3
Jason Richardson, Golden State - 1 - 3
Reggie Evans, Seattle - 1 - 3
Drew Gooden, Cleveland - - 2 2
Anthony Johnson, Indiana - - 1 1
Mickael Pietrus, Golden State - - 1 1
Rashard Lewis, Seattle - - 1 1
Ricky Davis, Boston - - 1 1
Tony Parker, San Antonio - - 1 1

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-28-2005, 08:58 PM
I can't believe someone voted for Shaq.

Idiot.

ShoogarBear
04-28-2005, 09:35 PM
I can't believe someone voted for Shaq.

Idiot.
:lol

Probably one of the Laker beat writers.

milkyway21
04-29-2005, 02:28 AM
http://www.nba.com/features/2005awards.html

http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/simmons_050308_370.jpg

Fans said Dwyane Wade was Most Improved. But the media disagreed, bestowing the annual award on the Clippers' Bobby Simmons.

2005 Award Winners

We nominated and you voted. As the season came to a close, NBA.com asked who you thought was most deserving for each of the six major regular-season awards. With your votes tabulated, we now turn to the official vote to see if members of the media agree with your chosen winners.

Thursday, the Clippers' Bobby Simmons was named Most Improved Player for the 2004-05 season as the player who has made a dramatic improvement from the previous season or seasons. Simmons received a total of 384 points, including 59 first-pace votes, from a panel of 123 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada.

Wednesday, Cleveland's Eric Snow was named the J. Walter Kennedy Citzenship Award winner, presented annually by the Professional Basketball Writers Association. The Kennedy Citizenship award, the oldest citizenship and community service award in the NBA, is named for the second commissioner of the league and honors an NBA player or coach for outstanding service and dedication to the community.

"I am honored to have been selected for such a prestigious award,” said Snow. “To now be mentioned in the company of those past and even future recipients who spend so much of their time, energy and resources in service to others is truly a blessing. I hope that my being recognized will be an inspiration to others in the same way that others have inspired me."

Announcement dates for the other regular season awards will be released on a week-by-week basis.

..and I voted for Dwyne Wade :cry