PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Parker will return on trip

Blackjack
02-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Spurs Notebook: Parker will return on trip (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Notebook_Parker_will_join_team_on_trip.html)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

When the Spurs board their charter plane this afternoon, bound for the opening game of this year's rodeo road trip Wednesday at Sacramento, point guard Tony Parker is expected to be with them.

When he might rejoin his teammates on the court, however, remains uncertain.

Team officials expect Parker, who has missed the past two games with his latest left ankle sprain, to play at some point on the trip, an eight-game trek that straddles the All-Star break and concludes Feb. 21 at Detroit. There is no specific game targeted for Parker's return, but the prevailing belief is he will be back sooner than later.

The Spurs are 1-1 during Parker's most recent absence and 3-3 overall. Parker, a three-time All-Star and an All-NBA selection last season, has been struggling with injuries this season, including a bout of plantar fasciitis in his left foot.

He is averaging 16.9 points and 5.8 assists, while shooting 48.7 percent from the field. All of those numbers represent a significant decline from last season.

Bonner looking for range: Matt Bonner freely admits his own return from injury hasn't gone smoothly. The Spurs' most accurate 3-point shooter at 40.6 percent, Bonner is 2 for 15 from beyond the arc in six games since coming back from a bone fracture in his shooting hand.

It is only the second significant injury Bonner has battled. He missed six weeks with an MCL tear in 2006-07, his first season with the Spurs.

“I've only had one injury in my basketball career up to this point,” Bonner said, knocking on the hardwood of the Spurs' practice facility for luck. “Coming back from injury isn't something I'm used to. In my head, I'm back, I'm canning threes, but that's just not reality. As frustrating as it is, I have to be patient.”

Bonner has played the past two games without the brace on his right hand that he'd been using for support. He said he felt better during Sunday's 1-for-4 performance from 3-point range in the loss to Denver than he had in earlier games.

“The game before, I felt really out of sync, like I hadn't played basketball before,” Bonner said. “Hopefully, (Sunday) is a sign I'll be back to normal soon.”

Rookie runner-up: DeJuan Blair's monster 28-point, 21-rebound game Jan. 13 at Oklahoma City wasn't enough to earn him his first Western Conference Rookie of the Month award.

That honor went to Golden State's Stephen Curry, who averaged 19.1 points, 5.1 assists and two steals during January. Blair, a 6-foot-7 center, averaged 7.7 points and 8.3 rebounds, numbers boosted by his 20-20 game against the Thunder.

That was the first 20-20 performance by a rookie since Tim Duncan in 1997-98.

timtonymanu
02-02-2010, 03:10 AM
good news. we need a healthy roster to get some chemistry but i hope it's cause parker is feeling better and not just forcing himself to return right away.

timvp
02-02-2010, 03:11 AM
If the Spurs can win two of the first three games on the Rodeo Road Trip (@ SAC, @ POR, @ LAC), I would be all for Parker sitting out until after the All-Star break. Doing so would give him an extra 11 days of rest while only missing two games. But if the Spurs can't get at least two of three, Parker would basically have to return to avoid a complete tailspin.

polandprzem
02-02-2010, 04:40 AM
not a godd idea IMo, but i'm just a fan.

I would sit TP and gave him treatment in San Antonio and revaluate him on the ASB and then he could join the team for the second part of RRT

Quite illogical to me considering that pop wants everybody as healthyb as possible for April and May

Sobe_Kucks
02-02-2010, 11:48 AM
If the RRT provides the spark and chemistry so sorely needed by this team it's almost all lost if TP is not the point and facilitator during this chemistry building period. We need him on the court IF he's healthy. Get better TP!

z0sa
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Rest Parker another week and a half, if we can. There's no turning back once he returns to the lineup.

ElNono
02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
:td

I wanted them to wait until the All Star break...

Pauleta14
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
If the Spurs can win two of the first three games on the Rodeo Road Trip (@ SAC, @ POR, @ LAC), I would be all for Parker sitting out until after the All-Star break. Doing so would give him an extra 11 days of rest while only missing two games. But if the Spurs can't get at least two of three, Parker would basically have to return to avoid a complete tailspin.

Even if we loose 3 games in a row, we should still rest Parker...
I mean, the western conference is so crazy,that we would still be able to catch up later on...with a HEATHY Parker!!!

I definitely think TP is the key to our championship hopes...
Even if Manu isn't the old Manu, what he brings can be enough to win the title...
Tim is better than last year, Manu, Hill too, Mason and Bonner have gained experience and can only be better than last year's PO...
Add Dyess and Blair..

If Tony can be even at 80% from last year PO level, we have our chances!!

Conclusion : Rest him as long as possible, work the chemistry and overall system knowledge and .... build RJ into a decent defender!

crc21209
02-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I still say he comes back Thursday @ Portland or Monday @ the Lakers....bank on it...

Ginobilly
02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I say slowly bring Parker off the bench to make sure his ankle heels right. I don't want to see a gimpy Parker out there for the playoffs.