PDA

View Full Version : Make a move for Troy Murphy?

arakkus
02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2010/02/pacers_asking_f.html
I saw this article in a rumor page and they indicated that cleveland thought they were asking too much.

It was basically an expiring contract (ilgaskas), young talent (riddick), and picks for Troy Murphy.

Why wouldn't the Spurs take them up on a similiar trade with Expiring contracts Finley/Bonner Young talent-Blair and picks so that we could pick him up. Murphy only has 2 years left on contract if this does not work out and seems like what Pop wants at that position. A shooter to spread the floor, good rebounder, probably not the best of defenders but definately an upgrade over Bonner we also have Mcdyess to come in for defensive stops. This seems like a no-brainer to me if your really making a push.

The two downsides is losing Blair, but really this comes down to Blair vs Murphy and I think Murphy just fits the team better. The other is salaries which won't change this year's and just affect your decision of bringing Ginobili back which personally I think he will be cheaper than his current salary probably right above to Mid level exemption which will still make total salaries lower than this year.

TJastal
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2010/02/pacers_asking_f.html
I saw this article in a rumor page and they indicated that cleveland thought they were asking too much.

It was basically an expiring contract (ilgaskas), young talent (riddick), and picks for Troy Murphy.

Why wouldn't the Spurs take them up on a similiar trade with Expiring contracts Finley/Bonner Young talent-Blair and picks so that we could pick him up. Murphy only has 2 years left on contract if this does not work out and seems like what Pop wants at that position. A shooter to spread the floor, good rebounder, probably not the best of defenders but definately an upgrade over Bonner we also have Mcdyess to come in for defensive stops. This seems like a no-brainer to me if your really making a push.

The two downsides is losing Blair, but really this comes down to Blair vs Murphy and I think Murphy just fits the team better. The other is salaries which won't change this year's and just affect your decision of bringing Ginobili back which personally I think he will be cheaper than his current salary probably right above to Mid level exemption which will still make total salaries lower than this year.

I'd trade Bonner, Fin, Blair and picks in a heartbeat to get Murphy. Too bad it would never happen.

Bruno
02-02-2010, 10:02 AM
When Spurs main problem is defense, trading for a weak defender sounds like an awesome idea...

TJastal
02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
When Spurs main problem is defense, trading for a weak defender sounds like an awesome idea...

Murphy is not bad, he's better than Bonner by a good margin. Leading his team in rebounding @ 10 playing only 31 minutes a a game.

And even if he was the "weak defender" you claim him to be, this would be addition by subtraction. You subtract 3 weak defenders and Pop will be forced to play guys who actually can play defense (Mahinmi/Ratliff).

SpurNation
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Making a move now would not IMO make a differance at this stage of the season.

The team has the bigs it can use for the purposes of getting Murphy...they just have to start playing that way.

A better solution would be to start using a consistent rotation with the players the team has now so they get used to who they're playing with and what to expect while they're playing.

SpurCharger
02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Bonner, Finley, Rights To Splitter..... Not giving up On Blair... He has alot of upside...
Murphy Is a Upgrade from bonner, He rebounds and plays better D then Bonner.... They Both Have good Shots, but Bonner Might Have him Slightly There.

Muser
02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Upgrading from a terrible defender to a below average defender will not help a great deal.

Chomag
02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Making a move now would not IMO make a differance at this stage of the season.

The team has the bigs it can use for the purposes of getting Murphy...they just have to start playing that way.

A better solution would be to start using a consistent rotation with the players the team has now so they get used to who they're playing with and what to expect while they're playing.

Do you not remember the Nazr trade? IMO A mid season trade can still make an impact if done right.

dbestpro
02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I think the biggest problem for Cleveland trading Ilgauskas and Riddick for Murphy is that Riddick plays for Orlando.

ElNono
02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
No thanks... we already have enough charmin' soft in this team...

pad300
02-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Blair > Mahinmi >= Reddick...

I would not trade Blair; instead use Mahinmi.

Bonner, Mason, Finley, Mahinmi + 2010 1st
for
Murphy, Luther Head

Head is a fill in...

But I don't see the pacers doing it. They would have to release waive 2 players to make this work.

arakkus
02-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I think the biggest problem for Cleveland trading Ilgauskas and Riddick for Murphy is that Riddick plays for Orlando.

Oops, wow not sure where Riddick name came from sorry the article mentioned J.J. Hickson not Riddick.

sananspursfan21
02-02-2010, 11:32 AM

yah, he'd be dead weight. maybe a couple of years ago, when spurs struggled on OFFENSE they could've used him

Big P
02-02-2010, 11:38 AM
ummm...hell no!

arakkus
02-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Personally, I am not sure why defense is the reason most people are shooting this down. Im thinking the financial situation it puts us in next year would be biggest obstacle.

Defensively, he is an improvement over both Blair/Bonner. I love Blair's energy, rebounding, and fearlessness. However, he has been unable to hang with the bigger guys usually forcing us into a double team or fouling them if he can't front and is terrible once the other team smalls get penetration -> 9/10 just watches them do a layup. Which is why he lost his starting position. I just don't think Blair will ever earn significant minutes the way Pop wants us to play basketball.