PDA

View Full Version : Whoooooa. Spring may be here sooner than Phil thinks.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm going with Chuck being that he's from NYC :tu

----------------------------------------------------------
Staten Island Chuck says spring is just around the corner, while his furry friend in Pennsylvania says there will be more cold weather.Mayor Michael Bloomberg, complete with workman's gloves, managed to coax the reluctant groundhog out from his home in the Staten Island Zoo in West Brighton.
The mayor says Chuck did not see his shadow, meaning an early spring for us this year.
"It's warmer in there than it is out here and even though he did predict an early spring, it doesn't feel so much like that right now,” said Peter Laline of the Staten Island Zoo. “The mayor believed the groundhog was a little scared and shy to come out and apologize, but he did."
There were no repeats of last year, when Chuck bit the mayor's finger. The mayor was given a pair of boxing clubs, but he did not have to use them.
"Last year, I was willing to put that finger right here, in the ways to protect the people of this great borough. The only thing that stood between Chuck and you getting bitten was my finger," said the mayor. "And I have a scar to prove just exactly how much I love one of the five best boroughs we have."
Chuck somehow learned the mayor's birthday is coming up on February 14, so he gave Bloomberg a combination birthday-Valentine's Day-apology card.
In Pennsylvania, Chuck's groundhog friend, Punxsutawney Phil, did see his shadow, meaning six more weeks of winter.
The two often have a difference of opinion, including last year, but Staten Island organizers say Chuck has been right in 22 out of the past 29 years.

CubanMustGo
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
For what it's worth, the NWS says that Feb will be cooler than normal for the gulf coast states and warmer than normal in the west and across the northern tier ... so both critters could end up being correct.

Dex
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Who the fuck is Chuck?

Viva Las Espuelas
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Who the fuck is Chuck?
some dude from staten island.

CubanMustGo
02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
some dude from staten island.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/03/alg_staten-island-chuck.jpg

He's the one in the middle.

Whisky Dog
02-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Defintely one of the weirdest American traditions.

I would like the video of Chuck biting Bloomberg though.

I was in Penn this time of year in 2004 and caught Phil doing his thing live, an odd celebration for sure but glad I saw it once.

Bartleby
02-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Defintely one of the weirdest American traditions.

I would like the video of Chuck biting Bloomberg though.

I was in Penn this time of year in 2004 and caught Phil doing his thing live, an odd celebration for sure but glad I saw it once.

I'm only about an hour and a half from Punxsutawney, but I don't like dealing with crowds so I haven't made the trip to see it live.

lefty
02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Is it groundhog day already?

baseline bum
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM
ZGp0hCxSg98

Whisky Dog
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm only about an hour and a half from Punxsutawney, but I don't like dealing with crowds so I haven't made the trip to see it live.

Crowded it definitely was. Crowded and really freaking cold. I did meet a couple of young hot women though that were interested in what I had to say because I was the only person they've ever met from Texas. That was a fun time.

baseline bum
02-02-2010, 11:35 PM
^^^^ Awesome clip. :lmao

JudynTX
02-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Pfffttt.....we have our own weather forecaster in Texas. :D

Spectators said it was just a bunch of good ole boys having a good time. These good ole boys have an overwhelming sense of Texas pride.

That pride made Terry Boothe feel just a bit unsettled on Groundhog's Day.

"It's always irritated me that we had a groundhog in Pennsylvania forecasting the presumed weather in Texas," he said.

So when the groundhog called for more winter, Boothe had a response.

"We hereby repudiate any and all of such predictions as irrelevant to Texas and Texans," he said.

That's where Bee Cave Bob comes in.

"We chose the official small mammal of the State of Texas, the armadillo," Boothe said.

After the singing of the Armadillo Anthem, it was forecasting time. Slowly but surely Bob came out of his hole. He seemed a little shy. After all, it was his first forecast for a crowd.

A man calling himself "Al Manack," a self proclaimed expert in interpreting armadillo weather, interpreted Bob’s actions. He stayed out of his hole, meaning spring in Texas will be here before you know it.

"If we start planting in Texas, in about three weeks we're going to have fat cattle and tall crops," he said.

But that wasn't Bob's only prediction.

"The armadillo can also forecast political climate," Boothe said.

Bob stayed out of the road, but made a definite move to the right.

"We're definitely going to have some conservative trends in Texas for 2010," Al Manack said.

Time will tell how accurate Bob’s predictions will be.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=265673

SpursWoman
02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
EouKQBPkD-g

Groundhog Day is one of my top 5 favorite movies. I've seen it a bajillion times, and still laugh. :tu

Dex
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
groundhog day is one of my top 5 favorite movies. I've seen it a bajillion times, and still laugh. :tu

+1

Spursfan092120
02-03-2010, 08:25 PM
EouKQBPkD-g
love that movie.

crc21209
02-03-2010, 08:43 PM
As far as Texas is concerned...I gotta go with Phil's prediction...6 more weeks of Winter. Why? Because if Spring was around the corner it would be somewhere between 75-90 degrees here in Texas already, and it's not. We are still in the 40's, 50's and sometimes 60's...

jacobdrj
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
groundhog day is one of my top 5 favorite movies. I've seen it a bajillion times, and still laugh. :tu

+1