PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Best may be yet to come for Spurs, McDyess

Blackjack
02-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Best may be yet to come for Spurs, McDyess (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Best_may_be_yet_to_come_for_Spurs_McDyess.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

The Spurs left Tuesday for the first long leg of the rodeo road trip, five new players getting their first taste of an annual trek that began in 2003.

Inquiring minds wanted to know: What do the newcomers make of an experience that has helped to define a team that won three titles since the trip began?

Antonio McDyess briefly rolled his eyes, then mouthed a response impossible to refute: “Road games are tough, but it's not something I'm not used to.”

Indeed, McDyess has been in the NBA for 14 seasons, on good teams and bad. He's experienced nearly everything, including long road trips.

There are patterns to every season for every team. For the Spurs, team chemistry always seems to coalesce while they are jetting around February.

There's a pattern to McDyess' career, too, and it is a reason to believe the second half of the season won't be the struggle a brutal, road-heavy schedule suggests it can be. Typically, his numbers improve significantly after the All-Star break.

In his last 32 games last season, he scored in double figures 20 times and had 15 games with double-figure rebounds. For February, March and April, he averaged 12.7 points and 12.7 rebounds.

Denver's Chauncey Billups has seen this first-hand from his good friend and former teammate. After he made two huge plays that sent the Spurs off on this trip with another homecourt loss, “Mr. Big Shot” recalled four seasons in Detroit with McDyess.

“We always gave him so much slack,” Billups said. “Because the first half of the season, it was always like, ‘Come on, 'Dyess, the summer's over. ... Christmas is past. ... It's Valentine's Day now ... Let's start playing.' He always has been a second half sort of player.”

There have been signs that McDyess' surge is under way. Four straight double-figure games, his perimeter jumper more reliable and frequent, show why the Spurs signed him last summer.

“He looked like the McDyess I always knew,” Billups said after his friend kept the Spurs in Sunday's game with 13 second-half points. “He's always going to make that 15 to 16-foot jump shot, and he's going to rebound and play good defense.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has heard about McDyess' slow starts and fast finishes.

“I've been told,” Popovich said. “He's playing much more confidently now than at the beginning of the year. You see him making little moves under the bucket, and offensive rebounds are getting better. If he's going to continue to improve on that, that would be great.”

It may be part of what the Spurs need to survive this rodeo trip and a 36-game finishing schedule that includes only 12 at the AT&T Center, but even his good friend knows the Spurs' fortunes remain tied to their Big Three.

“'Dyess is at a point in his career he just needs somebody to get him those looks,” Billups said. “He's not going to go work for 20 points a night and get on the block and do all that. He's just a complementary role player, and if he's used like that, he's super-valuable.”

[email protected]

tp2021
02-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Is Dice capable of post play anymore? Maybe I've just missed any time he's done it but I can't recall having seen him score with his back to the basket.

hater
02-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Dyess needs to start backhanding mofos

z0sa
02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
TJastal calling Monroe/other posters spastic little creeps in 3...2....

Dice
02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Is Dice capable of post play anymore? Maybe I've just missed any time he's done it but I can't recall having seen him score with his back to the basket.

In his first season with Detroit, almost all his shots were turn around jumpers from the post. But I think a lot of teams started realizing that and he started getting it blocked every once in a while. After that, he rarely went to it and I haven't seen it in a long while.

These days, the closest thing to post play you'll see is him catching then facing up and showing a fake-followed by drive.

To be perfectly honest McDyess has never really been great at putting the ball on the floor for more than a dribble or two. Because back in the day, he could dunk from just about anywhere past halfcourt.:downspin:

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't recall McDyess ever having been really great at posting up. He's still a face-up type player because back in the day he could dunk from just about anywhere past halfcourt. :toast

all_heart
02-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Dyess, stepping it up in the 2nd half of the season?.. sounds good to me. :)
Hopefully that will rub off on the rest of the guys!!

wildbill2u
02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
yeah, back in the day. we're all still hoping that 2nd half of the season propaganda is true but after 14 seasons you have to wonder when the break in tradition will come.

timvp
02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
“We always gave him so much slack,” Billups said. “Because the first half of the season, it was always like, ‘Come on, 'Dyess, the summer's over. ... Christmas is past. ... It's Valentine's Day now ... Let's start playing.' He always has been a second half sort of player.”

:lol

McDyess has looked a lot better lately. If he can be a legit starting big the rest of the way, that would be huge for the team.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 02:36 PM

McDyess has looked a lot better lately. If he can be a legit starting big the rest of the way, that would be huge for the team.

When he plays well, the Spurs can hang with anyone. When he and Jefferson play well, the Spurs are downright scary.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
When he plays well, the Spurs can hang with anyone. When he and Jefferson play well, the Spurs are downright scary.

That's what keeps me wired to this particular roster...

- Just a little better Dice
- Just a little better RJ
- Just a little better Manu shooting
- Just a little better Duncan shooting
- Just a little faster TP

If we get two of those, we're instantly contenders IMO, and if we get four of those, then OH MAMA!!! :lol

Baseline
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
That's what keeps me wired to this particular roster...

- Just a little better Dice
- Just a little better RJ
- Just a little better Manu shooting
- Just a little better Duncan shooting
- Just a little faster TP

If we get two of those, we're instantly contenders IMO, and if we get four of those, then OH MAMA!!! :lol

Great point, Nono.

If the Spurs get two of these, then we're operating at 80% capacity, if they get four, then 90% capacity, and if we get really lucky and get all five, then we'll be at 100% full throttle.

Right now, we're at about 70% in my opinion. We have short stretches where we're at 80% or more, but we haven't been able to sustain it for four quarters.

hater
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM
even as lazy as dyess has been in 1st half, he's still put more effort than Sheed :lol

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Even if all of that happens, how does it improve our average defense?..

ElNono
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Dice improving would. Better rebounding, better interior D, less second chance opportunities.

The rest would increase our offense to offset that instead. As pathetic as our defense has been, we've been pretty much into every contest this season, and with less than spectacular shooting from at least two of our stars...

crc21209
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM

+1. The Spurs are going to need him to be this "Second-half Dice" that he's become over the past couple of years...

crc21209
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
even as lazy as dyess has been in 1st half, he's still put more effort than Sheed :lol

Hell yeah, Dice has looked like an all-star compared to Sheed this year...:lol

kace
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM

well i guess "RJ and Dice being better" includes defense. and TP a little bit faster wouldn't hurt on defense either.