PDA

View Full Version : Military Burial Question

PM5K
02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
So I have a relative that is eligible to be buried in a VA National Cemetery because he served in the Army in Viet Nam. He asked me to look for paperwork he could fill out so that he could be prepared in advance, however I haven't been able to find anything like that on the internet. He mentioned you could pay for everything in advance (for his wifes space), but again I couldn't find anything like that.

On the Department Of Veterans Affairs website it states a few different things such as; no special forms are required when requesting burial in a VA national cemetery; Gravesites in Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries cannot be reserved in advance; and a few other similar types of quotes.

The only form I found online was for the gravestone marker.

Other than that all it says is to make sure all of the info prepared such as service, rank, ssn, discharge records, etc.

austN Spur
02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
My tio was buried @ fort Sam 2 years ago. I was moved on how they performed the burial. It would be nice to be laid to rest like that. But i didnt handle anything. my guess is you have to go to Fort Sam (or whichever) and handle it in person.

02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
A little over a year ago I buried my father and had the Marine Corps perform the burial honors. As he was buried in a private cemetery, the funeral home took care of all the logistics, all we needed to provide was his DD-214 to show that he was a veteran.

I would first check with the graves unit at Fort Sam Houston for some insight, or if he has arrangements with a private funeral home, they should know which direction to point you.

PM5K
02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I know he wants to be buried at a national cemetery because it's free.

02-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I know he wants to be buried at a national cemetery because it's free.

The burial is free, and I believe that the casket is as well, but unless he dies while in the service, I think (Read: Don't really know) that the preparation of the remains for burial will need to be taken care of separately.

CubanMustGo
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Is this the page you found?

http://www.cem.va.gov/BBENE_BURIAL.ASP

It really seems to answer most of your questions, and suggests you contact the facility of your choice if you have other questions now.

to21
02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
^ Good find.

I was gonna say to talk to a funeral home and ask for help. I know when we buried my Father-In-Law at the national cemetery in Santa Fe, they took care of everything and knew what steps needed to take place. I'm sure one around here might have the info.

PM5K
02-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah that's the page. He insists there was some type of form, so I'm just double checking. I'm the computer guy so if it's out there I should be able to find it.

mrsmaalox
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
This page on that VA site is specific to Ft Sam, and it just gives you a number to fax discharge papers to be able to schedule a burial.

http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/ftsamhouston.asp

Cyrano
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
The VFW has a number for inquiries of this nature..... 1-202-543-2239.

CubanMustGo
02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I want to thank you for asking this question, PM5K. My brother is a Vietnam veteran, just turned 65, and as the youngest brother I need to ask him what his wishes are.

SequSpur
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
go to a funeral home..they take care of all of this stuff.