PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Durant the second best player right now?

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 10:00 AM
OKC are 27-21 in the WEST! Out East the Thunder would be fighting for a 4th seed!

Durantula's stats

29.7 PPG 7.4 RPG 3.0 APG 1.4 SPG
25.5 PER
.608 TS%
.524 EFG%
4th in Win Shares!

This guy will be on Lebron's level. I think if he fills out just a tiny bit, he can be a better defender and post player. He's already in Kobe's level when it comes to shooting, if not better and he definitely has a better reach than Wade,Kobe or Melo.

His impact for the game is undeniable. His second best player is sophomore Russell Westbrook (whose shooting 40% in the season) after that you have another sophomore in Jeff Green and the gap in talent after Harden widens. They are freaking coached by Scott Brooks.

I think Durant is the second best player now and will be fighting for that spot with Lebron within the next few years. Now we have 3 talented, efficient wing players (Lebron, Wade, Durant) fighting for that # 1 spot for the next few years. This is exciting stuff.

hater
02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
most underrated player in the history of the world

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
most underrated player in the history of the world
Thank you hater.

MI21
02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
He really is a joy to watch.

MrChug
02-03-2010, 10:18 AM
He's a fine player and great to watch, but to even slightly insinuate that he's in the league of Kobe, Lebron, or even Dwyane Wade is preposterous.

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
He's a fine player and great to watch, but to even slightly insinuate that he's in the league of Kobe, Lebron, or even Dwyane Wade is preposterous.
He's not in Lebrons league. This year I think he's better than Wade, and he's definitely better than "Mr. 45% with 30 shots to score 31 points" Kome.

Stats are all in the pudding.

hater
02-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I would definitely take him over Wade. He is already >> Wade.

I would take him over Kobe because of his age.

z0sa
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd take him over Kobe. Melo/Wade could go either way; KD has both beat athletically. LeBron is definitely still better.

Takes a team effort, but KD is doing everything.

Muser
02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I'd take Durant over Wade and Kobe, not LeBron.

lol blazers.

TheMACHINE
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Im going to give ChrisRichards props for once. I admire his leadership. Everytime he starts a thread, he makes his point and gets input from his followers. Its always the same followers (aka his bitches). I wont list names, but you guys can click every thread he does and you'll see the same 3 guys posting sucking his dick.

God Bless.

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Im going to give ChrisRichards props for once. I admire his leadership. Everytime he starts a thread, he makes his point and gets input from his followers. Its always the same followers (aka his bitches). I wont list names, but you guys can click every thread he does and you'll see the same 3 guys posting sucking his dick.

God Bless.
bless you and your family son.

hater
02-03-2010, 11:40 AM

God Bless.

you sound like a bitch

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
you sound like a bitch
:lol

ffadicted
02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Would the Blazers have won a 'chip by now with Durant? What about this year? Next year? So many if's.... lol

If Durant gains some size, he can definitly compete with lebron for best in the league in the next couple of years, no doubt

RsxPiimp
02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Durant is efficient simply because he does'nt get as much defensive attention like the elite players in the game. No one really designs a game plan to stop Durant as much as opposing coaches does with guys like Lebron, Kobe and Wade.

He's definitely a Top 5 player this season.

gaKNOW!blee
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
whats his defense like? ive heard it sucks...

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
no

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
This guy will be on Lebron's level

:lol

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
It's too early to accurately rank him..we'll see what he does in the playoffs..he doesn't play D consistently, but he's not as 1-D as he used to be with the added rebounding now, partly because he moved to SF..

doobs
02-03-2010, 03:36 PM
WDgq-K2oYLo

lil_penny
02-03-2010, 03:42 PM
If only portland had a chance at getting this guy... oh wait. Odens schlong is wayyyyy bigger, so oden>>> durant

phxspurfan
02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
lol blazers.

/thread

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Bayless
Roy
Durant
LMA
<anyone with a big schlong>

^^^ what an even better future that team would have had.

JamStone
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I guy that has never sniffed the playoffs should never be compared to a top five all-time great.

I don't think LeBron is a top five all-time great, not yet anyway. But, he's well on his way.

As for how Durant is playing this season, I'd definitely put him in the conversation of top 5 players in the league, as I think most people would. His scoring is ridiculous, his rebounding is great for a small forward, and I do think he's made great strides with his defense (although I wouldn't say he's an elite defender yet). One could legitimately argue Durant is a top 3 player in the league. I think calling him the second best player in the league is a bit premature though. But, he's making a pretty good argument, especially lately.

I would agree with the notion that we should wait to see if he can be as productive in the post-season and if that production can actually translate into playoff wins, should the Thunder continue to play well enough to get in the playoffs.

Lol @ me calling Durant a poor man's Rashard Lewis last year. Yea, that was stupid.

JamStone
02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Are you really using an "all star starter" argument when Allen Iverson is starting on an all star team and Tracy McGrady almost did? Hurry up and edit that stupidity out of that last post.

z0sa
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in knowing what a true all-star is.

:lol What's your definition of a true all-star, Kobecockluva?

JamStone
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Fan popularity does not = greatness, or should I give you the benefit of the doubt in knowing that? Knowing shit happens like Iverson starting the ASG or the season Grant Hill and Alonzo Mourning were voted in as ASG starters when they hadn't even played in the first half of that season should tell you that arguing a player can't be the a player can't be the second best player in the league if he doesn't start the all star game is a pretty stupid argument. And Durant will start in the ASG in the future. And you should also realize that even if Carmelo keeps getting voted in, once guys like Duncan and Dirk get older and/or retire, Durant can still get voted to start because there are TWO "forward" spots in the ASG. Doesn't even matter. Just admit that was a stupid argument.

Truckules
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't know if he's second best, but he's definitely top 5 maybe even top 3.

z0sa
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
So you don't have any defined characteristics of a 'true all-star,' at least any different ones than everyone else already goes by (voted in by the fans/coaches).

Gotcha.

z0sa
02-03-2010, 05:19 PM
You beyond retarded.

What an adept way of putting your misplaced opinion.

JamStone
02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I didn't even say Durant was the second best player in the league. I said he was a top 5 player. But, I'll play along for the sake of showing how stupid a comment you made.

Now, you explain to me how in the hell the second best player in the league can't find a starting spot in the all-stars.

This is your comment I was arguing against.

Case in point: 1993-94 NBA season. David Robinson was arguably the second best player in the league at the time. He finished 2nd in MVP voting. He did not start the all star game for the West. Hakeem did.

And my arguing your stupid statement has nothing to do with my judge of talent. I have been wrong plenty of times when it comes to that, when it comes to plenty of things. But, your contention that the second best player can't start the all star game when starters are selected by fans in a popularity contest is still stupid.

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
he is up there. definitely better than guys like Kobe, Dirk, Joe Johnson, etc.

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Everybody knew Hakeem was better than D-Rob in 93/94. There was no argument.

bigdog
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I'd put Durant right up there at the top, but maybe not #1. If he picks up his defense, then I'd put him at the top. His offense just cannot be touched. To me, he's better than Wade and Melo, and VERY close to Lebron and Kobe. VERY underrated player.

JamStone
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Doesn't matter. The comment made was, "explain to me how in the hell the second best player in the league can't find a starting spot in the all-stars." I gave an example where that was the case.

I didn't argue Durant was the second best player in the league. I argued "against" the suggestion that the second best player in the league should start in the all star game, because it suggests that how good a player is is judged by how popular that player is with fans.

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd put Durant right up there at the top, but maybe not #1. If he picks up his defense, then I'd put him at the top. His offense just cannot be touched. To me, he's better than Wade and Melo, and VERY close to Lebron and Kobe. VERY underrated player.

how is he better than Wade and Melo, but not better than Kobe? Durant shoots the ball MUCH better than Kobe in EVERY shot category: field goals (488% compared to 463%), 3PT (371% compared to 323%) and free throws (879% compared to 817%). oh and Durant scores more points than Kobe on LESS shot attempts as well. Not to mention being a better rebounder. Durant dominates Kobe in every category except assist.

but hey since ESPN tells us that Kobe is the greatest to ever play ... then lets just keep turning the other cheek and ignoring the facts.

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Offensively he is close to James and others, but Kobe is in league of his own, maybe Jordan is there just visiting.

you can't possibly be serious dude? are you that damn gullible ?

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Offensively, Kobe has done things MJ could never do. Mr. 81 is just starting.

wow ... its sad just how downright ignorant some of you are. Kobe is on the same level as a Pippen, Pierce, Johnson, etc. .... what has the man ever done to deserve to be mentioned as one of the greatest?

Chieflion
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Why the hell do people argue with lakaluva about stupid shit? We know he is going to come up with more stupid shit like David Robinson was a role player.

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Why the hell do people argue with lakaluva about stupid shit? We know he is going to come up with more stupid shit like David Robinson was a role player.

true lol ... its just funny seeing how gullible and ignorant some of these Laker / ESPN tool bags are.

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 06:22 PM
w. Kobe is on the same level as a Pippen, Pierce, Johnson, etc. ....

Look how stupid you are :lol

Chieflion
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
When Kobe Bryant tried to lead a team, he embarrassed himself. Gasol arrives, and he finds his role. Sure, he gets the douchebag of the year award, but he's no Great.

o7A-BFXLCiQ
Um, ya of course, sure sure.

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
You know what's funny? Kobe have busted the asses of all of the guys you just mentioned on a regular basis. You just still mad cause cp3 couldn't get an all-star nod over the white boy.

son what does this have to do with Paul? ... and what are you talking about him not getting an all star nod? he has made the team the last 3 years lol.

but back on the subject, since you are obviously insecure about Kobe's REAL status in the NBA .... he hasn't busted shit on those other players listed. Last time I checked, Kobe got FACEFUCKED by Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in the finals. that's what I remember there. I also don't ever remember Michael Jordan (who you seem to think deserves comparison) ever choking in the finals like Kobe has 3 different times. Not to mention the fact that Kobe never once led his team to the title. Shaq was the lead man for 3 of them and Gasol was the ONLY reason they won it last year.

Chieflion
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Kobe was winning titles and forcing MJ and Pippen into retirement around that age.
Just when you think you won't be seeing any more stupid shit, this happens.

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 06:43 PM
You have enough failure in the post to last a lifetime. I see why you are giving away your season tickets these days. You've officially become a Laker/Kobe hater. :toast

lol again the ignorance continues.

son I gave away one damn set of tickets lol.... what about you though? do you actually pay to go to the games? or are you too cheap to support the team and you just stay at home watching ESPN and letting them tell you who to like? ... or better yet, I bet you don't even live anywhere near L.A.. you're the type of person who is a "fan" of a team that is thousands of miles away from where you live and the only reason you claim to be a fan is because they are a trendy, bandwagon team. let me guess, your favorite NFL team will either be the Colts or the Saints by Monday right?

Killakobe81
02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I dont know about 2nd best ...i thought scoring was not enough around these parts?! LOL
But I love him and his game ... Portland Made a HUGE mistake ...it's one of the the few things The sport's Guy has been right about lately ...

BRHornet45
02-03-2010, 07:13 PM
To be honest, I haven't paid for, or had season Laker tickets since Shaq's first season with the Lakers, which was a failure I might add. However, I only hit about three games a year, court side, at the expense of some Corporate friends. I notice that you often use the word cheap when addressing people that you think might not frequent games. Just out of curiosity... where are your season tickets located at? How much did you pay? Seeing that your team doesn't turn a profit, I would assume the tickets are quite cheap, especially season tickets. Holding season tickets for the Hornets is like holding season tickets for the Clippers. It's not being cheap when you don't go, it's just that both teams suck and are not worth the few shekels to be wasted. Why not just buy a 12 pack with that money and call it a day?

the Hornets don't turn a profit? son they have made profit every year being here and had a 12% increase last season. my season tickets aren't court side, but are about 8 rows away from it in the club section. I pay a pretty penny for them. not bragging by any means, but since you seem so curious there you go.

TheMACHINE
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM

God Bless.

you sound like a bitch

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce to you ChrisRichards #1 Bitch...err follower. He beat Z0sa to it. He'll have to settle for #2.

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
When Robinson tried to lead a team, he embarrassed himself. Duncan arrives, and he finds his role. Sure, he gets the nice guy of the year award, but he's no Great.
Dude, thats some stupid logic.

Robinson won an MVP, DPOY and Rookie of the year. He also scored 71 points. He has a scoring title and multiple All Nba selections.

Using that same logic, the Kobe is not great? Kobe's career mirrors Robinson's very well. Without Gasol and Duncan, both Kobe and DRob had no rings too, no?

Baseline
02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
OKC are 27-21 in the WEST! Out East the Thunder would be fighting for a 4th seed!

Durantula's stats

25.5 PER
.608 TS%
.524 EFG%
4th in Win Shares!

This guy will be on Lebron's level. I think if he fills out just a tiny bit, he can be a better defender and post player. He's already in Kobe's level when it comes to shooting, if not better and he definitely has a better reach than Wade,Kobe or Melo.

His impact for the game is undeniable. His second best player is sophomore Russell Westbrook (whose shooting 40% in the season) after that you have another sophomore in Jeff Green and the gap in talent after Harden widens. They are freaking coached by Scott Brooks.

I think Durant is the second best player now and will be fighting for that spot with Lebron within the next few years. Now we have 3 talented, efficient wing players (Lebron, Wade, Durant) fighting for that # 1 spot for the next few years. This is exciting stuff.

Totally agree, CR. Well stated.

This is why I always say that in a few years, after new guys like LeBron and Durant light up the league, K. Bryant will be remembered as a volume shooter who shipped a Top Ten All-Time player (Shaquille) out of town and never meshed with his teammates because of his ego-driven agenda, and will be nowhere near any Top Ten Greatest list.

Guys like LeBron and Durant may play their entire careers and never have anywhere near the supporting cast Bryant has right now.

If you had to assemble an equivalent "Other Big Three" supporting cast for LeBron, the other "Big Three" to equal Gasol/Bynum/Odom would have to include...
1. Tim Duncan at the 5 (Gasol)
2. Brooke Lopez at the 4 (Bynum)
3. Kirilenko at the 3 (Lamar)

Tim is the only other big in the league who has similar offensive skills as Gasol. Brooke Lopez is the Eastern Conference equivalent of Bynum, and AK47 is a long 3 with offensive skills. Actually Odom is a far better rebounder than Kirlenko.

So, how do you think LeBron would do with this supporting cast?

You think he'd shoot 24 times a game to score 28 points, average less than 5 assists, bicker and call out his teammates, and throw them under the bus every chance he gets? Yeah, probably.

Truth is, LeBron has averaged 11 assists since Mo Williams has been out. By the way, Chris Paul leads the league at 11.2 assists per game.

Native American
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Man has surpassed all other animals in hunting with his intuitive and creative ability to use tools such as the knife and the spear to aid him in hunting. Yet it is still interesting to observe and compare how other great predators are able to hunt, attack, and kill their prey to feed. The lion uses sheer size and strength to overwhelm its prey. The tarantula uses its large fangs to inject a paralyzing venom in its prey and then uses silk to suspend the prey in its web, slowly watching it deteriorate from the venom before feeding on it. Similarly, the black mamba also injects venom in its prey, but then just swallows the prey whole. And when I say lion, tarantula, and black mamba, of course I mean LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Kobe Bryant. And, when I say the lion uses size and strength, the tarantula uses a silk web, and the black mamba just swallows prey whole, I mean LeBron uses brute force, Durant has a silky jumper, and Kobe just sucks.

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Totally agree, CR. Well stated.

This is why I always say that in a few years, after new guys like LeBron and Durant light up the league, K. Bryant will be remembered as a volume shooter who shipped a Top Ten All-Time player (Shaquille) out of town and never meshed with his teammates because of his ego-driven agenda, and will be nowhere near any Top Ten Greatest list.

Guys like LeBron and Durant may play their entire careers and never have anywhere near the supporting cast Bryant has right now.

If you had to assemble an equivalent "Other Big Three" supporting cast for LeBron, the other "Big Three" to equal Gasol/Bynum/Odom would have to include...
1. Tim Duncan at the 5 (Gasol)
2. Brooke Lopez at the 4 (Bynum)
3. Kirilenko at the 3 (Lamar)

Tim is the only other big in the league who has similar offensive skills as Gasol. Brooke Lopez is the Eastern Conference equivalent of Bynum, and AK47 is a long 3 with offensive skills. Actually Odom is a far better rebounder than Kirlenko.

So, how do you think LeBron would do with this supporting cast?

You think he'd shoot 24 times a game to score 28 points, average less than 5 assists, bicker and call out his teammates, and throw them under the bus every chance he gets? Yeah, probably.

Truth is, LeBron has averaged 11 assists since Mo Williams has been out. By the way, Chris Paul leads the league at 11.2 assists per game. Thanks and I think we should end the thread with this post. good job Baseline.
:toast

Killakobe81
02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Man has surpassed all other animals in hunting with his intuitive and creative ability to use tools such as the knife and the spear to aid him in hunting. Yet it is still interesting to observe and compare how other great predators are able to hunt, attack, and kill their prey to feed. The lion uses sheer size and strength to overwhelm its prey. The tarantula uses its large fangs to inject a paralyzing venom in its prey and then uses silk to suspend the prey in its web, slowly watching it deteriorate from the venom before feeding on it. Similarly, the black mamba also injects venom in its prey, but then just swallows the prey whole. And when I say lion, tarantula, and black mamba, of course I mean LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Kobe Bryant. And, when I say the lion uses size and strength, the tarantula uses a silk web, and the black mamba just swallows prey whole, I mean LeBron uses brute force, Durant has a silky jumper, and Kobe just sucks.

Though i disagre with the conculsion your posts are always intelligent well thought out and funny.
Mad props.

23LeBronJames23
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Shaq was winning titles and forcing MJ and Pippen into retirement around that age.

fixed

Chieflion
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Excellent comedy material.

ezau
02-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Durantula's stats

25.5 PER
.608 TS%
.524 EFG%
4th in Win Shares!

Agree with this. He's still a couple of notches below Lebron but I'll take him over Kobe because he's younger. I think as far as playing is concerned, he reminds of a younger, longer Kobe

Jacob1983
02-03-2010, 11:39 PM
I would give Durant the MVP this season. The Thunder would be a D-League team without him. Durant has carried that team all season long.

Donkeybong
02-04-2010, 01:21 AM
durant with 8 turnovers tonight

Killakobe81
02-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Doesn't matter. The comment made was, "explain to me how in the hell the second best player in the league can't find a starting spot in the all-stars." I gave an example where that was the case.

I didn't argue Durant was the second best player in the league. I argued "against" the suggestion that the second best player in the league should start in the all star game, because it suggests that how good a player is is judged by how popular that player is with fans.

Agree with your premise but robinson is a poor example. He was overrated by stat lovers ...and the media. I never thought he was 2nd best player in NBa EVEN in his prime ...

ezau
02-04-2010, 03:47 AM
son what does this have to do with Paul? ... and what are you talking about him not getting an all star nod? he has made the team the last 3 years lol.

but back on the subject, since you are obviously insecure about Kobe's REAL status in the NBA .... he hasn't busted shit on those other players listed. Last time I checked, Kobe got FACEFUCKED by Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in the finals. that's what I remember there. I also don't ever remember Michael Jordan (who you seem to think deserves comparison) ever choking in the finals like Kobe has 3 different times. Not to mention the fact that Kobe never once led his team to the title. Shaq was the lead man for 3 of them and Gasol was the ONLY reason they won it last year.

Completely agree with this. Back to the topic, Kobe is at best, the third best wingman in the league today. Behind Lebron and Durant of course. He'll continue to decline as long as Father time continues to tick

ChrisRichards
02-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Completely agree with this. Back to the topic, Kobe is at best, the third best wingman in the league today. Behind Lebron and Durant of course. He'll continue to decline as long as Father time continues to tick

Yup. And Laker fans should'nt consider this a slight. You have two very talented wing players whose shooting very efficient. So its not an insult to Kobe. Kobe's just unfortuante because this era are stacked with great offensive wing players or guards in genera, he should feel honored because the media still picks him as the most deadliest player in the league and a clear cut # 2.

Next year the challenge gets tougher. OJ Mayo, Brandon Roy, Gay and Derrick Rose are projected to have better seasons. Wade will get a lot of noise again because Im sure he'll sign with a team that has a better chance. Lebron pretty much has the best player title on lock for the next 7 years and Chris Paul is going to start dropping those 22 pts 16 assists and 1 TO nights again.

Double-Up
02-04-2010, 07:41 AM
To be honest, I haven't paid for, or had season Laker tickets since Shaq's first season with the Lakers, which was a failure I might add. However, I only hit about three games a year, court side, at the expense of some Corporate friends. I notice that you often use the word cheap when addressing people that you think might not frequent games. Just out of curiosity... where are your season tickets located at? How much did you pay? Seeing that your team doesn't turn a profit, I would assume the tickets are quite cheap, especially season tickets. Holding season tickets for the Hornets is like holding season tickets for the Clippers. It's not being cheap when you don't go, it's just that both teams suck and are not worth the few shekels to be wasted. Why not just buy a 12 pack with that money and call it a day?

You're probably just another 17 year old kid who's still roachin of ma and pa while beating your chest on a forum. You ain't shit.

j-money24
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I would take him over Kobe because of Age, Kobe at age 31 is getting old, been in the league for 14 years, i would choose a young Kobe over Lebron and Durant.

namlook
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Durant over Kobe and Wade? You people are seriously on drugs. Get into rehab or something, please.

mavs>spurs2
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I guy that has never sniffed the playoffs should never be compared to a top five all-time great.

I hope you're not referring to Kobe, who is no higher than top 15.

Jordan, Wilt, Russel, Magic, Bird, Jabbar, Hakeem, Duncan all > Kobe and that's just off the top of my head without putting much thought into it. I'm sure there are more.

mavs>spurs2
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Actually, while I'm thinking about it, Kobe is barely even an all time top 5 laker.

1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Shaq
5. Kobe

JamStone
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually, while I'm thinking about it, Kobe is barely even an all time top 5 laker.

1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Shaq
5. Kobe

Wilt isn't a top 5 Laker, and not even close to being the all time greatest Laker.

He played in only 4 full seasons with the Lakers at the end of his career and for as prolific a scorer as he was, he averaged less than 18 PPG as a Laker. The only guys in the conversation with Kobe are Magic, Kareem, Jerry, and Elgin.

mavs>spurs2
02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Wilt isn't a top 5 Laker, and not even close to being the all time greatest Laker.

He played in only 4 full seasons with the Lakers at the end of his career and for as prolific a scorer as he was, he averaged less than 18 PPG as a Laker. The only guys in the conversation with Kobe are Magic, Kareem, Jerry, and Elgin.

Anywho, Kobe isn't top 5 all time like kobeluva stated

cobbler
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Add Mikan to that list if you include the whole franchise. I have Magic slightly ahead of Kobe as greatest Laker. If Kobe wins another title its up for grabs. If he wins two more it's Kobe's.

Wilt... the GOAT of the NBA cannot be considered greatest Laker for all the reasons you stated.

jdev82
02-04-2010, 05:32 PM
are you ppl serious? hes just another chucker, albeit a talented one. he is the king of forcing bad shots. just because he makes a little under half of these dumbass shots doesnt make him on the level of lebron or melo

23LeBronJames23
02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Durant over Kobe and Wade? You people are seriously on drugs. Get into rehab or something, please.

Its more likely you're the one on drugs here.

duncan228
02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Scoring binge puts Thunder’s Durant in MVP company (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-thunder-durantsvalue&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Jeff Latzke

One by one, Kevin Durant has been taking the NBA’s biggest names and scoring his way right on past them.

First Kobe. Then LeBron. Next up, Carmelo.

With a tear that began just before Christmas, Durant has climbed into a virtual tie with Denver’s Carmelo Anthony for first place in the NBA scoring race. He’s had at least 25 points in each of his last 23 games—a feat none of the other superstars has ever accomplished and no one else has ever done at his age.

Durant says he only cares about wins—and those are rising, too. With Durant leading the way, the Oklahoma City Thunder are right in the thick of the playoff race and making that dismal first season seem like ancient history.

“I know that Carmelo’s going to be back, LeBron is going to have 40 or 50 points one of these nights and Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and some of those guys are going to continue to score in the high 30s and sometimes 40s and they’re just going to easily surpass me,” said Durant, who will make his All-Star debut next week. “That’s something I try not to worry about, man. I don’t even want to think about that.”

Durant increased his scoring output in each of the past three months and is now averaging 29.69 points, just five-hundredths of a point behind Anthony, who has missed the past six games with a sprained ankle.

“He’s a phenomenal player. He’s beautiful to watch,” Atlanta coach Mike Woodson said of Durant. “He’s kind of an old-school throwback in terms of scoring the ball. This year, I see him trying to defend and he’s trying to lead. That’s the sign of a player that one day is really going to be a dominant player, probably one of the best players in our league.”

That was before the Hawks lost a 106-99 decision to the Thunder. Afterward, he was calling Durant an MVP candidate.

His own coach sees it, too, in the way Durant sets the tone for Oklahoma City with a workmanlike routine that never wavers. It’s even evident on his Twitter page, where his post after nearly every win includes the same phrase: “Back to work tomorrow.”

“He scores, leads us in rebounds, steals, blocked shots. He does a lot for us,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “But when you get mentioned in groups like that, your team has to win. And we’re winning some games, more than we won last year, but we’re still not winning at the level that those other teams are.”

Rick Barnes, Durant’s coach at Texas when he took the college game by storm for a season, saw the same approach in Austin and still gets to witness it during the summer. He said Durant—who’d be a senior this season—turned into a team leader while working toward his degree this past summer. Each day, he’d get the college kids up in the morning, never miss a class, play each afternoon with the Longhorns and then return to shoot some more in the evening.

“He’s always been that way,” Barnes said. “When he walked on our campus, he didn’t come in with the attitude that `I’m here.’ All he ever said to us is, `I want to be the best I can be.’ One of the hardest workers that we’ve ever had. He loves this game.”

The Thunder entered Thursday tied with Portland for seventh place in the Western Conference, and only three games behind third-place Dallas.

“He’s continued to work to know he’s got to work on his defense, his all-around game and I’m telling you: He’s just getting started,” Barnes added. “And there’s no doubt in my mind, one day he’ll be the best in the NBA.”

A revelation came during Durant’s first season, when he averaged 20.3 points and won Rookie of the Year.

“Once he had played against Kobe Bryant, he said what he respected most about Kobe Bryant was when Kobe had the ball, his exact words were `He wants to cut your throat,”’ Barnes said, recalling a conversation with Durant. “‘When he’s playing defense, he wants to cut your throat.’ He said, `That’s where I want to get to.”’

Durant said he’s still working toward that goal, but he sees himself making progress as his game develops. He doesn’t feel like he’s forcing shots outside of Brooks’ offense and he’s aiming to be more aggressive.

It shows during the current stretch when he’s averaging 32.5 points. He’s cut down on his 3-point tries by about one-fourth but he’s making twice as many (51 percent as compared to 28 percent in his first 26 games) and focusing on getting to the rim or getting fouled in the process.

In 14 of the 23 games in his scoring binge—which started after the only game this season that he didn’t get to the foul line—Durant has shot at least 10 free throws. And he’s tried more foul shots than anyone else in the NBA this season.

Looking back, he remembers those first times playing against Bryant and still tries to emulate that aggressive demeanor.

“He was physical, he played hard. He never smiled on the court, never talked to anybody,” Durant said. “He took that kind of approach that he wanted to destroy whoever he was guarding and whoever was guarding him. He wanted to exploit them by shutting them down on the defensive end and coming down on the offensive end and scoring on them. That’s the mentality I wanted to take.”

Durant said he doesn’t put himself in the same superstar category with Bryant and the other players that surround him on the scoring list—but he knows how to get there.

“You gotta win. That’s all it takes. We’ll see,” Durant said before adding his familiar refrain. “Just gotta keep working.”

JamStone
02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
are you ppl serious? hes just another chucker, albeit a talented one. he is the king of forcing bad shots. just because he makes a little under half of these dumbass shots doesnt make him on the level of lebron or melo

Interesting that if you asked guys like LeBron and Carmelo, they'd both tell you that Kobe is the best player in the league.

The Gemini Method
02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
So Durant is emulating no. #14 on BRbumblebee45's list...how underachieving is that!

namlook
02-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Interesting that if you asked guys like LeBron and Carmelo, they'd both tell you that Kobe is the best player in the league.

Wade said the same thing - that Kobe is the best. The players know who the best is, not some clueless mentally deficient helmet wearing retards posting on message boards.

namlook
02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Add Mikan to that list if you include the whole franchise. I have Magic slightly ahead of Kobe as greatest Laker. If Kobe wins another title its up for grabs. If he wins two more it's Kobe's.

That's right in line with my thinking. Magic is still #1. Kobe is #2. Two more rings and Kobe definitely takes the #1 spot as greatest Lakers player of all-time.