PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Toyota recall not a big deal?

Thunder Dan
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
If it were an American brand everyone would be piling on saying how much they suck. Now we finally see that Toyota doesn't make these dream machines that people have thought and nobody seems to care. People always backed Toyota as if they were the greatest cars around while looking down on American makers, yet Toyota has one of the largest recalls ever and nobody discusses it. Toyota a) avoided even talking about the situation even though people's lives were at risk, b) they had to stop selling these faulty cars because our government had to force them to stop selling, otherwise they would still be selling them. If this were Ford or GM people would be dancing on their graves

admiralsnackbar
02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
If it were an American brand everyone would be piling on saying how much they suck. Now we finally see that Toyota doesn't make these dream machines that people have thought and nobody seems to care. People always backed Toyota as if they were the greatest cars around while looking down on American makers, yet Toyota has one of the largest recalls ever and nobody discusses it.

I guess because they don't have as long a track-record of putting out death-traps and lemons like we do? Also, it may have to do with the fact that their reputation comes from the fact that their cars run forever, not necessarily from their safety. Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know.

hater
02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
some truth to what you say. But truth is, a toyota that has 1% chance of killing you is still >>>> an american POS car

btw, I hate toyota. fuck them. I will buy german till I die

Thunder Dan
02-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I guess because they don't have as long a track-record of putting out death-traps and lemons like we do? Also, it may have to do with the fact that their reputation comes from the fact that their cars run forever, not necessarily from their safety. Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know.

this is what I'm saying:

Toyota may have a track record, but they currently can't sell 8 models because their gas pedals stick and can kill people. Toyota has no idea why or how to fix the problem- instead they dodge away from answering questions, and when they finally do, they blame it on floormats. Yet people still cite Toyota's track record.

Chevrolet and Ford, may not have the best track records, but their current models are both safe and often rated higher than comparable Toyota models. Yet Americans won't even consider them because they trust Toyota more. Why? They are often regarded as pieces of junk even though they are rated higher or comparable in most categories including value and safety

If you live your whole life as a saint, and murder one person, you can't call yourself a saint anymore.

coyotes_geek
02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
If it were an American brand everyone would be piling on saying how much they suck. Now we finally see that Toyota doesn't make these dream machines that people have thought and nobody seems to care. People always backed Toyota as if they were the greatest cars around while looking down on American makers, yet Toyota has one of the largest recalls ever and nobody discusses it. Toyota a) avoided even talking about the situation even though people's lives were at risk, b) they had to stop selling these faulty cars because our government had to force them to stop selling, otherwise they would still be selling them. If this were Ford or GM people would be dancing on their graves

That's what having a good reputation will do for you. Toyota has a good one, the domestic automakers have a bad one. Deal with it.

Thunder Dan
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
That's what having a good reputation will do for you. Toyota has a good one, the domestic automakers have a bad one. Deal with it.

I have a good reputation in my town, but if I get convicted of robbing a bank tomorrow I lose my reputation.

hater
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM

wrong again. Toyota's reputation is shitty for the last few years. It's Japanese car reputation vs. American car reputation.

DarrinS
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
some truth to what you say. But truth is, a toyota that has 1% chance of killing you is still >>>> an american POS car

btw, I hate toyota. fuck them. I will buy german till I die

Talk about pieces of shit -- especially over the last decade.

DarrinS
02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
To the OP -- your premise is wrong.

This recall is a very big deal and a black eye on Toyota (for the time being).

Drachen
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Where are you getting your info. This is all over! It's all a lot of people can talk about, and now the new model Prius brakes aren't working just reported late yesterday. Not only that, but the recall was only for Toyota models. The catalyst for this recall (a 911 call from a car that was speeding out of control due to this issue which ended in a crash and the death of the 4 occupants) was in a Lexus. They haven't announced the Lexus recall, but I predict they will have to soon. It is just getting worse for them.

American car companies are taking advantage of this, did you see the sales figures and market share numbers for January? GM increased their market share a little, Ford is the #2 automaker in America again (at least for the month) by substantially increasing their market share. In addition these companies are offering incentives to customers with Toyotas to come buy their cars. (GM is offering 1k, I don't know what Ford is offering, but read in an article that they would be doing this too).

CNN had a big report on it while I was getting dressed this morning

Honda has said that they are worried because they feel people will group all of the Japanese auto makers together.

Transportation secretary said in a confrontational tone that this isn't over with.

This is being talked about.

hater
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Talk about pieces of shit -- especially over the last decade.

been buying german for years. no problems. can't say the same about japanese/american

Thunder Dan
02-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Where are you getting your info. This is all over! It's all a lot of people can talk about, and now the new model Prius brakes aren't working just reported late yesterday. Not only that, but the recall was only for Toyota models. The catalyst for this recall (a 911 call from a car that was speeding out of control due to this issue which ended in a crash and the death of the 4 occupants) was in a Lexus. They haven't announced the Lexus recall, but I predict they will have to soon. It is just getting worse for them.

American car companies are taking advantage of this, did you see the sales figures and market share numbers for January? GM increased their market share a little, Ford is the #2 automaker in America again (at least for the month) by substantially increasing their market share. In addition these companies are offering incentives to customers with Toyotas to come buy their cars. (GM is offering 1k, I don't know what Ford is offering, but read in an article that they would be doing this too).

CNN had a big report on it while I was getting dressed this morning

Honda has said that they are worried because they feel people will group all of the Japanese auto makers together.

Transportation secretary said in a confrontational tone that this isn't over with.

This is being talked about.

well I guess I don't see as much talk about it as I would assume there would be for an American company, though I have no way of estimating that

ElNono
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
What do you mean it's not a big deal?

It isn't to me because I don't own a Toyota, but my father in law does, and we're keeping tabs on it because of that.

coyotes_geek
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
wrong again. Toyota's reputation is shitty for the last few years. It's Japanese car reputation vs. American car reputation.

The increases in market share Toyota has made over the last few years suggest otherwise.

I have a good reputation in my town, but if I get convicted of robbing a bank tomorrow I lose my reputation.

And if all you do is run a stop sign then your reputation remains intact. Over the next few months we'll see what the consumers have to say about how big a hit Toyota's reputation takes. They're the only ones whose opinion matters.

hater
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
The increases in market share Toyota has made over the last few years suggest otherwise.

so the complete collapse of the american auto industry had nothing to do with that huh?

DarrinS
02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
so the complete collapse of the american auto industry had nothing to do with that huh?

Ford is alive and well.

Drachen
02-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Robbing a bank is a good comparison since this is one of the largest recalls in history. If you had a good rep, good person, lots of volunteering in the community, etc. You would still have a tarnished rep, but would likely get closer to the minimum sentence than someone who robs banks ever 2 years. American cars are most definitely of great quality now, but there has to be some time that passes before the public can trust them again and say "they have a good reputation."

I think Toyota falls hard on this one (still goes to jail), but not as hard as an american company would if they did the same thing (goes to jail for much longer).

coyotes_geek
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM

So Toyota capturing more and more market share had nothing to do with the collapse of the American auto industry huh?

coyotes_geek
02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Robbing a bank is a good comparison since this is one of the largest recalls in history. If you had a good rep, good person, lots of volunteering in the community, etc. You would still have a tarnished rep, but would likely get closer to the minimum sentence than someone who robs banks ever 2 years. American cars are most definitely of great quality now, but there has to be some time that passes before the public can trust them again and say "they have a good reputation."

I think Toyota falls hard on this one (still goes to jail), but not as hard as an american company would if they did the same thing (goes to jail for much longer).

Bingo.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 12:56 PM

That's natural though. Part of the pride in your country being better than everybody else is to hold it to a higher standard.

Or should be...

Thunder Dan
02-03-2010, 12:59 PM

that's fair. I guess I just see people slamming the American makers even when they are turning out good products, and making excuses for Toyota when our government has to step in because their cars are not safe to sell.

Oh, Gee!!
02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
It's kind of a big deal (media-wise) lately. How did you reach the conclusion that nobody cares?

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
So Toyota capturing more and more market share had nothing to do with the collapse of the American auto industry huh?

Ummm. no.

BTW...the problems with this recall stem from Toyota capturing more and more market share. Their drive to be number one had them really reaching. When you're cranking cars out faster than you can safely make them, you get little fuckups like this.

rjv
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
aren't most toyotas built in the US now ?

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
aren't most toyotas built in the US now ?

Depends upon the definition of built. Assembled? Probably. Built, I doubt it. It seems to be a damned hard stat to pin down.

mogrovejo
02-03-2010, 01:32 PM

And if all you do is run a stop sign then your reputation remains intact. Over the next few months we'll see what the consumers have to say about how big a hit Toyota's reputation takes. They're the only ones whose opinion matters.

Good post.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Depends upon the definition of built. Assembled? Probably. Built, I doubt it. It seems to be a damned hard stat to pin down.

Not hard at all. Most every Toyota car has a sticker on the side stating where their components came from and where it was assembled. My father-in-law Tundra was assembled in San Antonio, TX, with the majority of the components coming from Japan.

Drachen
02-03-2010, 01:36 PM
That's natural though. Part of the pride in your country being better than everybody else is to hold it to a higher standard.

Or should be...

I see what you are saying, but I dont really think that has anything to do with 21st century USA (or really any country outside of a few). My point had nothing to do with patriotism and more to do with track record. Also, I don't think patriotic pride should have any impact on a financial decsion. If EVERYTHING else is equal and you need a tie breaker, ok, but not otherwise.

Edit: I just re-read your post and you really didn't talk about using patriotism to justify a financial decision. Just using patriotism to justify expectations. I can agree with that, on a purely financial perspective. If we build the best stuff then we buy our own stuff, and other places buy our stuff. Money coming in. If we build crappy stuff, then we buy other people's stuff and no one else buys our stuff. Money flowing out. I don't really buy into the whole we should be better because that's what we do - thought process. It just makes logical sense for a nation to strive to do what they do better than anyone else. Not necessarily for that special feeling, but because of the tangible benefits that come along with it.

That is just how *I feel*. It is not better or worse than anyone who doesn't agree with me and therefore is not to be represented as an attack.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Ummm. no.

BTW...the problems with this recall stem from Toyota capturing more and more market share. Their drive to be number one had them really reaching. When you're cranking cars out faster than you can safely make them, you get little fuckups like this.

I have to assume your comment is entirely speculation? It really doesn't matter how many cars you're cranking out. They all have to pass NHTSA safety regulations and quality control.

My understanding is that this is a design/engineering problem, not a manufacturing one.

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Not hard at all. Most every Toyota car has a sticker on the side stating where their components came from and where it was assembled. My father-in-law Thundra was assembled in San Antonio, TX, with the majority of the components coming from Japan.

Ok, it was assembled there. But was it built there? That's where it gets iffy.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Ok, it was assembled there. But was it built there? That's where it gets iffy.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/706819899_f15bb54b0d.jpg

SouthernFried
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
This is a HUUUUGGGGGE deal...and it's being portrayed as such. Well, I dunno how the main media is portraying it, I don't listen to them so I can't comment.

But in the business journals...this is a big BIG deal....and a HUGE opportunity.

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I have to assume your comment is entirely speculation? It really doesn't matter how many cars you're cranking out. They all have to pass NHTSA safety regulations and quality control.

My understanding is that this is a design/engineering problem, not a manufacturing one.

Of course it's speculation. NHTSA didn't do much with the Pinto tho...or the Ford LTD/Crown Vic. Those were design/engineering problems too. Short development cycles can cause these.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I see what you are saying, but I dont really think that has anything to do with 21st century USA (or really any country outside of a few). My point had nothing to do with patriotism and more to do with track record. Also, I don't think patriotic pride should have any impact on a financial decsion. If EVERYTHING else is equal and you need a tie breaker, ok, but not otherwise.

I agree with you. However, I don't think a good amount of people in this country agree with us both.

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Excellent. That's one. Now, let's go count the rest of em so we can see what the percentages are. :lol

ElNono
02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Of course it's speculation. NHTSA didn't do much with the Pinto tho...or the Ford LTD/Crown Vic. Those were design/engineering problems too. Short development cycles can cause these.

I think this has a lot more to do with complexity and veering towards more electronics than anything. Funny that Woz came out complaining yesterday, because since I heard about it, I thought this has to be a software issue.
And therein lies the problem. I'm a software developer, and it's fairly difficult to test mission critical software, especially under distress, like in a car.

I think the NHTSA is going to have to come up with new standards as far as software goes. We're going that way, and at this point it's inevitable.

coyotes_geek
02-03-2010, 01:53 PM
But in the business journals...this is a big BIG deal....and a HUGE opportunity.

Definitely a huge opportunity. Not only for the auto companies, but for consumers as well. Ford and GM are already offering incentives to try and get Toyota customers to bail. Pretty soon Toyota will have to start offering similar incentives, if not greater ones, to try and hold on to them. Not a bad time to buy a car if you're in the market right now, and it doesn't matter what brand you're thinking about.

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I think this has a lot more to do with complexity and veering towards more electronics than anything. Funny that Woz came out complaining yesterday, because since I heard about it, I thought this has to be a software issue.
And therein lies the problem. I'm a software developer, and it's fairly difficult to test mission critical software, especially under distress, like in a car.

I think the NHTSA is going to have to come up with new standards as far as software goes. We're going that way, and at this point it's inevitable.

Agreed. I hope someone in the NHTSA is ahead of the curve on this one.

spursncowboys
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
+1
they are the ones who started this recall, and were not forced to. They do have a great brand. I will always pick a Toyota over any other brand, except maybe Ford (for trucks only).

boutons_deux
02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I have friend who bought a top model M-B a few years ago.

Mechanically impeccable, but electronically/computer-ly, he was in the shop every month.

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I have friend who bought a top model M-B a few years ago.

Mechanically impeccable, but electronically/computer-ly, he was in the shop every month.

My daughter's BMW has been a little iffy in that regard as well.

EmptyMan
02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
The only people bashing vehicles are people that have actually worked on said vehicles.

I get tired of people telling me what is good and what isn't when they could not even identify a wrench.

Spursmania
02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Toyota employs 30,000 Americans in the state. They have had a reputation of having cars that are reliable and last. I'm just glad they are dealing with the recall on a large scale now rather than hiding it until more accidents happen and forcing people to prove their damages via class lawsuits.

BTW, the Mercedes' we have had always had problems, but they were beautiful to look at and drive in. I was taking mine in every other month and red lights were always coming on. We've had 3 different models.

The current Lexus' we have are undeniably reliable and nice, but not as beautiful as some of the Mercedes models. I chose to save myself time and trips to the service center and will stick to the Lexus now and into the future.
No thanks, Mercedes.

admiralsnackbar
02-03-2010, 07:04 PM
There was a 5 minute piece on Toyota's problems on the NBC nightly news tonight.

elbamba
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM

When a Toyota memo leaks that essentially says FU to all the people who complain that there car is a death trap and decides that it is cheaper to litigate them to recall, you will hear people bad mouth Toyota.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352259/the_tale_of_the_exploding_pinto.html

PublicOption
02-03-2010, 10:17 PM
if it were an american brand everyone would be piling on saying how much they suck. Now we finally see that toyota doesn't make these dream machines that people have thought and nobody seems to care. People always backed toyota as if they were the greatest cars around while looking down on american makers, yet toyota has one of the largest recalls ever and nobody discusses it. Toyota a) avoided even talking about the situation even though people's lives were at risk, b) they had to stop selling these faulty cars because our government had to force them to stop selling, otherwise they would still be selling them. If this were ford or gm people would be dancing on their graves

because toyota does not have a history of covering shit up.

coyotes_geek
02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Toyota now admitting that the Prius had brake problems.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-says-Prius-had-brake-apf-3606196735.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

ElNono
02-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Toyota now admitting that the Prius had brake problems.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-says-Prius-had-brake-apf-3606196735.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

The flaw, which requires a software programming change to fix, makes the brakes momentarily unresponsive. Toyota was checking if there were reports of similar problems with other hybrid models though they use a different braking system from the Prius.

software bug... :hat

Mr. Peabody
02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
The Toyota recall has been all over the news sites and on cable news consistently. This morning as I was getting dressed CNN had the recall as a lead story and then, discussed a recent death that is attributed to a faulty Toyota.

Also, the media is reporting that Toyota will take a $2 billion loss on the recall.

All of this seems like the media is reporting it as a big deal. So . . . who's saying it's not?

TeyshaBlue
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
The flaw, which requires a software programming change to fix, makes the brakes momentarily unresponsive. Toyota was checking if there were reports of similar problems with other hybrid models though they use a different braking system from the Prius.

You need to get to work designing a simple USB interface for cars. Plug in a flash drive, drag some files over, and bingo! Problem fixed.:toast

ElNono
02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
You need to get to work designing a simple USB interface for cars. Plug in a flash drive, drag some files over, and bingo! Problem fixed.:toast

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/car-usb-drive.jpg

:lol

TeyshaBlue
02-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Genius! Remember all us little people when you cash in. :lol

Spursmania
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM

:rollin

coyotes_geek
02-04-2010, 07:27 PM

:wow

Ford to fix break problem on Milan, Fusion Hybrids (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-to-fix-brake-problem-on-apf-2395284869.html?x=0&.v=6)

ElNono
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm telling ya... the NHTSA needs to be all over this...

Sportcamper
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
This Toyota thing keeps getting worse…In their quest to overtake GM Toyota lowered their standards…

Worldwide recalls…. Over 100 new complaints for Prius brake problems…LaHood to call Toyota president about recalls…Electronic acceleration now being probed….Toyota trouble: Wozniak and sudden acceleration... Sudden acceleration complaints now with Lexus…

Too bad...Most people have had good experiences with Toyota...

baseline bum
02-05-2010, 01:42 PM

I don't know about this idea. I don't want my car to become compromised and start spitting Viagra ads and stories about how I can work for Google from home every time I turn the key.

Sportcamper
02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Leno...

Have you heard the new Toyota slogan?
It is, "Toyota - just try and stop us."

ElNono
02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
NHTSA Has No Software Engineers or EEs To Analyze Toyotas (http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1042836_nhtsa-has-no-software-engineers-or-ees-to-analyze-toyotas)
By John Voelcker

Sometimes you see something you just can't believe. And yet, there it is in cold type (or warm electrons).
Today's candidate is a single sentence by Washington Post writers Peter Whoriskey and Frank Ahrens, discussing the Congressional investigation of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's response to multiple reports of Toyota safety problems.
It says: NHTSA officials told investigators that the agency doesn't employ any electrical engineers or software engineers.

To say our jaw dropped would be woefully inadequate.
A modern luxury car has something close to 100 million lines of software code in it, running on 70 to 100 microprocessors. The navigation system of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class alone exceeds 20 million lines of code.
Manfred Broy, of the Technical University, Munich, told IEEE Spectrum that software and electronics can make up 35 to 40 percent of the cost of a premium car today. At $10 a line, a cost he calls too low, 100 million lines represent $1 billion of investment for each car.

According to consultant Frost & Sullivan, those 100 million lines of code will rise to 200 or 300 million within a few years.
Software controls the vehicle, the operation of its engine, the mapping of the transmission shift points, the interactions among the components of the powertrain, the traction control system ... the list could go on for pages and pages.

And the software that controls the "drive-by-wire" accelerators of Toyota and Lexus vehicles is one potential culprit in the tangled collection of issues, allegations, and recalls of many of those vehicles for so-called "sudden acceleration" problems.
The NHTSA's mission is to “save lives, prevent injuries, reduce vehicle-related crashes.”
If it cannot properly analyze those systems, or even understand at a deep-code level how they work, then the agency is useless at overseeing the entire "Safety" part of its mandate.

The agency has an annual budget of more than $800 million, and it employs 635 thousands of people. That not a single one of them is an EE or software engineer borders on the criminally insane.
Grasping for straws, perhaps it employs software engineers and EEs as contractors, so they're not technically employees? Or does it outsource all those functions to firms who specialize in those disciplines?
We'd like to believe that. But we recently got a note from an author who's written on software in cars and spoken to the NHTSA about the topic. It said:

They told me they didn't track defects ... by software/electronic cause. They couldn't understand why that would be important, since software improvements and defect rates were no different in their minds from mechanical improvements. In fact, software increased car safety. Then they basically told me not to bother them with such trivial questions.

Please, please: Somebody tell us that those NHTSA officials misspoke. Because if they didn't, heads had better roll.

UPDATE: According to the Detroit News, a Department of Transportation spokeswoman, Olivia Alair, said, "NHTSA has numerous engineers on staff with experience with electrical engineering and (electronics) issues." The DoT is the parent agency of the NHTSA.

UPDATE 2: Just before the end of today's hearings, Transportation secretary Ray LaHood told Congress that NHTSA has two electrical engineers on staff and, "When we need outside expertise, we use it." Two EEs? And how many software engineers, pray tell?

ElNono
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
:hat

Winehole23
02-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Electronic acceleration? Talk about an intriniscally bad idea.

DarrinS
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Do you also want to do away with antilock brackes, stability control, electronic fuel injection, airbags, etc. etc.?

As long as there are no bugs in the system, an electronic system is much more reliable than a mechanical system.

byrontx
02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Toyota became over-confident and that made a bad situation worse. I love my 4Runner but I did have some pulley bearing go bad at only 80K. That in itself speaks to how high the standards are now (in the 50's-60's you expected to rebuild an engine at 80K). The American cars are extremely well-built, too. They are catching grief for an older policy of pumping out units and catching any mistakes with a liberal warranty policy (for the first 50K)-a policy that became out-dated in the 70's. The consumer's expectations changed and the bean-counters running the American companies did not respond quickly enough. I drive a Toyota now but would not hesitate to purchase American the next time. The worse car I have owned, from the maintenance viewpoint was a 740iL. Everything was fixed under warranty and I enjoyed driving the hell out of the loaners but it did spend a lot of time in the shop (still loved it, though).

SAGambler
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

If not for the Japanese auto makers, you would still be driving POS domestics that leaked oil after 10,000 miles and was ready for a new engine or an overhaul at about the 50,000 mile mark. Remember Toyota, Datsan, Subaru were cars that made the domestics improve the quality of their cars.

One of the best quotes I have ever seen came from the man that came up with the Pontiac GTO. "When asked the question "they don't make em like that anymore, do they? He replied "No, and thank God they don't". He then went on to explain just how dangerous these machines really were. But none of them were ever recalled.

101A
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Meh; had a '67 mustang; gas pedal was ALWAYS getting stuck under the floor mat; they're fixing the problem.

Also, there isn't a car made whose brakes cannot overpower it's engine (especially a Toyota!); people who have wrecks because of this are bad drivers who panic.

See the following from Car And Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/toyota_recall_scandal_media_circus_and_stupid_driv ers-editorial

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

ElNono
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Why? I actually think it's a much better and more secure way to do things (and cheaper to boot), as long as there are no bugs.

ElNono
02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Also, there isn't a car made whose brakes cannot overpower it's engine (especially a Toyota!); people who have wrecks because of this are bad drivers who panic.

Yes and no. One specific case had to do with a rental car that had they ignition key replaced with a button. The person obviously didn't know that she was supposed to hold the button for 5 seconds to turn off the engine while the car was running...

The other thing is, a lot of cars will simply not let you break while you accelerate at the same time. Some let you do that only when the directional wheel is turned, and some won't let you at all. This is exactly why this was a major issue.

One of the first recall fixes on the Lexus line was to replace the brake system to allow you to brake while accelerating.

Winehole23
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Do you also want to do away with antilock brackes, stability control, electronic fuel injection, airbags, etc. etc.?Why should you assume that? I bitched about one thing.

As long as there are no bugs in the system, an electronic system is much more reliable than a mechanical system.In this case, there is a bug.

101A
02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
The other thing is, a lot of cars will simply not let you break while you accelerate at the same time.

Link.

Seriously. This is technology that is foreign to me. (and please read the articles I posted above by Car and Driver.)

DarrinS
02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Why should you assume that? I bitched about one thing.

In this case, there is a bug.

Perhaps. I'm always a bit skeptical of the "unintended acceleration" defect. There have been numerous cases were people have panicked and stomped even harder on the gas. If I recall, there was supposedly some issue with Audi vehicles years ago. If there is a problem, they need to fix it.

Winehole23
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Make up your mind Darrin. Yesterday you were holding Toyota up for ridicule; now you seem to be carrying water for them. Which is it it?

DarrinS
02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes and no. One specific case had to do with a rental car that had they ignition key replaced with a button. The person obviously didn't know that she was supposed to hold the button for 5 seconds to turn off the engine while the car was running...

The other thing is, a lot of cars will simply not let you break while you accelerate at the same time. Some let you do that only when the directional wheel is turned, and some won't let you at all. This is exactly why this was a major issue.

One of the first recall fixes on the Lexus line was to replace the brake system to allow you to brake while accelerating.

I wonder if people forget that they have an emergency brake?

Wild Cobra
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Emergency brakes never overpower front wheel drive cars under power.

They should have turned the key off.

Wild Cobra
02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
I am actually amazed that all this passed Toyota's testing. Every piece of computer controlled equipment I ever worked on has safeties in place. Even trucks, trains, etc. from years past have the default position for brakes engaged. If you lose air pressure, the brakes are fully engaged.

Not this is different from an automobile, but how did OSHA even allow such a system to be marketed? New designs, and engineers are simple humans, and we all make mistakes. It is almost impossible in research and development to conceive of all possible problems. Still, I am simply amazed that it happened.

Now I have never seen how the gizmo's attach under the hood of these newer cars, but I do know enough about equipment safety features to see there wasn't enough safety considered. The brakes and acceleration of the vehicle are apparently not direct control. The car's computer controls everything. This leads to possible computer chip defects to even viruses introduced by a competing car company.

It will be interesting to see how Toyota resolves this, but I do trust they will. They have always been a top car company for a reason. People like the product and service.

101A
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/toyota_recall_scandal_media_circus_and_stupid_driv ers-editorial

Toyota Recall: Scandal, Media Circus, and Stupid Drivers - Editorial

We dive into Toyota’s three-ring circus and emerge with the facts.

BY MIKE DUSHANE
February 2010

First, What to Do if Your Car (Not Just a Toyota) Starts to Accelerate Uncontrollably
If your car starts accelerating unexpectedly, hit the brake (it's the one to the left of the gas) and shift into neutral. After you do this, the engine may race loudly but the car won't accelerate. Pull off the road, brake to a stop, shift to park, and shut off the car. This is a simple solution we guarantee will save your life in any car that suffers from unintended acceleration. For more, read our story “How To Deal With Unintended Acceleration,” (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept) which is based on our own instrumented testing.
How Big is This Problem?
We're no Toyota apologists (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q1/eddie_alterman_behold_the_new_lexus_wtf-column), but if you look past the media circus, the numbers don't reveal a meaningful problem. Every man, woman, and child in the U.S. has approximately a one-in-8000 chance of perishing in a car accident every year. Over a decade, that's about one in 800. Given the millions of cars included in the Toyota recalls and the fewer than 20 alleged deaths over the past decade, the alleged fatality rate is about one death per 200,000 recalled Toyotas. Even if all the alleged deaths really are resultant from vehicle defects—highly unlikely—and even if all the worst things people are speculating about Toyotas are true, and you're driving one, and you aren't smart or calm enough to shift to neutral if the thing surges, you're still approximately 250 times likelier to die in one of these cars for reasons having nothing to do with unintended acceleration. So if you can muster the courage to get into a car and drive, the additional alleged risk of driving a Toyota is virtually negligible.
What's Wrong with Toyotas?
1. Floor mats (http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-adds-1-1-million-vehicles-to-floor-mat-recall-now-includes-pontiac-vibe/). In some cases, an unsecured driver's floor mat can supposedly jam the gas pedal. Complaints and deaths stemming from this issue led to the first Toyota recall. Secure your floor mats, take them out, or, if you're too lazy to do either of those and the mat jams the accelerator, shift to neutral.
2. Sticky throttles (http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-announces-fix-for-recalled-throttle-pedals-dealers-to-extend-service-hours/). The accelerator may stick in some Toyotas. NHTSA hasn't determined that this has actually caused any fatalities, but there is enough evidence that the throttle may stick to warrant a recall. If this happens to you, shift to neutral.
3. The "electronic issue." Unlike vehicles from some other automakers, Toyotas don't kill the throttle when you hit the brakes. This means it's possible to apply both at the same time. Our own instrumented testing determined that you can safely brake a car from highway speed (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept), even with the throttle pegged. But if the accelerator is floored and the car is in gear, repeated stabs at the pedal and modulation of speed with the brake will eventually overheat the brakes and cause them to fail. Pumping the brakes is a bad idea beyond the overheating issue. When the throttle is stuck open, the engine isn’t producing sufficient vacuum to enable power assist for the brakes, so press the brake pedal firmly once and don’t let up. (Some allege that electromagnetic interference could be causing the electronic throttles in Toyotas to become stuck open; this is completely unsubstantiated. It’s also possible that alien tractor beams are to blame.)
The lack of a throttle kill is probably the explanation for Toyotas' higher reported rate of "unintended acceleration" than other brands. But it's critical to note that the lack of such a throttle kill isn't a defect. It isn't Toyota's responsibility to account for every possible stupid thing people might do in a car. Anyone so uncoordinated that they can't differentiate the pedals and operate them independently shouldn't be driving.
And this is going to sound uncharitable, but even if the recall dealing with potentially sticking pedals applies to a lot of Toyotas, why aren’t people just shifting into neutral? Even if the throttle really sticks fully open, it won't have any accelerative impact on the car if it's in neutral. By this point, if you have a Toyota (or any car), and you don't know to shift to neutral if the engine races unexpectedly, you're going to succumb to what can only be described as natural selection.
Some Context: Audi's "Unintended Acceleration"
In 1986, the television program 60 Minutes started Audi's "unintended acceleration" scandal. The show trotted out tearful people, recounted death and carnage, spoke to so-called experts, and generally made it seem like the vehicle in question, the Audi 5000, was a roving menace with a mind of its own. In the end, the U.S. government determined that every single so-called unintended acceleration accident was the result of driver error. Some speculated that because Audi's pedals were closer together than those of some other brands, people were too uncoordinated to choose the correct one. The pedal-placement issue Audi faced at that time parallels the throttle-kill issue Toyota faces now.
What Does This Mean for Toyota?
Even if you buy our argument that most of the "unintended acceleration" issues are actually driver error and the company ultimately is vindicated, Toyota is still screwed. Audi sales were depressed for a decade and a half after the false claims leveled against it. Toyota either blames its customers and faces the wrath of the media or expresses contrition and admits it has quality issues. Perhaps having learned from the backlash against Audi when it—rightly—blamed its customers, Toyota has chosen the latter course of action.
Toyota has earned a reputation in this country over the past 30 years as a maker of utterly dull and utterly reliable transportation appliances. Readers of Consumer Reports and their friends buy them by the millions. But with the notable exception of the Prius (which now is facing its own recall fiasco (http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-acknowledges-software-problem-with-2010-prius-brakes/)), Toyota hasn't produced many interesting or exciting products. In Car and Driver comparison tests, Toyotas have generally placed mid-pack for years because they handle poorly and have increasingly chintzy interiors. Over the years, people haven't bought Toyotas because they offered driving thrills or prestige; they bought them because, in the words of one CR loyalist and former serial Camry buyer—this author’s mother—"The ultimate luxury is a car that doesn't ever break." So what happens when quality is called into question and the cars don't offer anything special? Well, Mrs. Dushane now drives a Subaru. Even the pragmatic tire of the banal.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

How To Deal With Unintended Acceleration - Tech Dept.

We put unintended acceleration to the test and examine how to handle a runaway vehicle.

BY DAVE VANDERWERP
December 2009

Lexus and Toyota models were stung recently by claims that faulty floor mats had jammed throttle pedals and were causing wide-open acceleration. Toyota has agreed to a largest-ever recall of 4.3 million vehicles (which could cost $250 million or more) to modify the gas pedals and remove unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mats. Not since Audi was decimated by accusations of unintended acceleration in the late 1980s has the topic of runaway cars received so much media attention.
The furor began when an off-duty California Highway Patrolman crashed a loaner Lexus ES350 (http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/lexus/es/2010/lexus-es350) at high speed, killing himself, his wife and their daughter, and his brother-in-law. It was reported that someone, either the officer or his brother-in-law, called 9-1-1 moments before the crash, saying that the “accelerator is stuck . . . there’s no brake.”
Our focus here is not to question the validity of the “floor-mat” claims (some investigators have suggested that a faulty drive-by-wire system is to blame) but to present methods for coping with this heart-stopping situation and to investigate a Toyota’s relative performance during such an event. For our tests, we rounded up a disparate bunch: a V-6 Camry (http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/toyota/camry) (a recalled vehicle), an Infiniti G37 convertible (http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/infiniti/g/2010/infiniti-g37-convertible), and a hugely powerful 540-hp Roush Stage 3 Mustang (http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang/2010/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-coupe).
Our tests were conducted at highway speeds, as the incident with the Lexus ES350 happened on an expressway, and in the lowest possible gear, as that's the worst-case scenario. Here is how to deal with a runaway car:
Hit the Brakes
Certainly the most natural reaction to a stuck-throttle emergency is to stomp on the brake pedal, possibly with both feet. And despite dramatic horsepower increases since C/D’s 1987 unintended-acceleration test of an Audi 5000, brakes by and large can still overpower and rein in an engine roaring under full throttle. With the Camry’s throttle pinned while going 70 mph, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against them and stopped the car in 190 feet—that’s a foot shorter than the performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16 feet longer than with the Camry’s throttle closed. From 100 mph, the stopping-distance differential was 88 feet—noticeable to be sure, but the car still slowed enthusiastically enough to impart a feeling of confidence. We also tried one go-for-broke run at 120 mph, and, even then, the car quickly decelerated to about 10 mph before the brakes got excessively hot and the car refused to decelerate any further. So even in the most extreme case, it should be possible to get a car’s speed down to a point where a resulting accident should be a low-speed and relatively minor event.
But Toyota could do better. Since the advent of electronic throttle control, many automakers have added software to program the throttle to close—and therefore cut power—when the brakes are applied. Cars from BMW, Chrysler, Nissan/Infiniti, Porsche, and Volkswagen/Audi have this feature, and that’s precisely why the G37 aced this test. Even with the throttle floored and the vehicle accelerating briskly, stabbing the brakes causes the engine’s power to fade almost immediately, and as a result, the Infiniti stops in a hurry. From speeds of 70 or even 100 mph, the difference in braking results between having a pinned throttle or not was fewer than 10 feet, which isn’t discernible to the average driver. As a result of the unintended-acceleration investigation, Toyota is adding this feature posthaste.
We included the powerful Roush Mustang to test—in the extreme—the theory that “brakes are stronger than the engine.” From 70 mph, the Roush’s brakes were still resolutely king even though a pinned throttle added 80 feet to its stopping distance. However, from 100 mph, it wasn’t clear from behind the wheel that the Mustang was going to stop. But after 903 feet—almost three times longer than normal—the 540-hp supercharged Roush finally did succumb, chugging to a stop in a puff of brake smoke.
Shift to Neutral or Park
This is your best option in an emergency. Neither the Camry’s nor the Infiniti’s automatic transmission showed any hesitancy to shift into neutral or park when accelerating at full tilt. (Automatics have a piece of hardware called a park pawl, which prevents the transmission from actually engaging park and locking the wheels at speed—it creates a disturbing grinding sound, but the car essentially coasts freely.) The Roush had a manual, so you’d simply depress the clutch. In either case, power is effectively kept from the wheels and the car will be able to brake with its usual undiminished vigor, engine racing or not.
Turn It Off
Switching off the ignition is a sure way to silence an engine, but it’s probably the least desirable action because it will also make the car more difficult to maneuver. It causes a loss of power-steering assist, plus it will cut off vacuum boost for the brakes. The new wrinkle here: the keyless, push-button start-and-stop systems in many vehicles. Owners need to be aware that these systems require a long press of the button to shut off power when the car is moving (so that an inadvertent touch of the button by the driver doesn’t kill the engine). Here, too, the Toyota was slightly behind the curve; the Infiniti’s engine shut down after a 2.5-second press of the button versus 3.3 seconds for the Camry. In an emergency, that would probably feel like an eternity. For some perspective, if a V-6 Camry’s throttle became stuck at 60 mph, the car would accelerate to nearly 80 mph before the engine would surrender.
Furthermore, short, frantic pressing of the Toyota’s start/stop button—the probable response in an emergency—does nothing, whereas the Infiniti kills the engine after three rapid-fire presses.
Conclusion
In the end, though, we found no major deficiencies with the Camry’s ability to defuse an unintended-acceleration situation. But the No. 1 automaker could learn a few lessons from the competition here—namely a throttle cutoff and a more responsive push-button ignition.
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/braking-results/3141454-1-eng-US/braking-results.jpg

DarrinS
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Good info. Thanks.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, we should all feel safer now that congress and Toyota's CEO had their "shame on you" / "I'm sorry" dog and pony show.

Winehole23
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Good thing we took all those big, safe, gas guzzlers off the road and replaced them with green cars that have unintended acceleration bugs.

DarrinS
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
well, we should all feel safer now that congress and toyota's ceo had their "shame on you" / "i'm sorry" dog and pony show.

+1

ElNono
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Link.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/02/more-toyota-models-to-get-brake-override-.html

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/smart-gas-pedals-may-solve-floor-mat-problem/

Pretty much every car with drive-by-wire pedals (most older luxury/newer cars) are entirely software controlled. As you can see, only those with smart throttle reduce engine power when both the gas and brake pedals are hit at the same time.

Seriously. This is technology that is foreign to me. (and please read the articles I posted above by Car and Driver.)

It was to me too. I actually asked my boss about it, since he owned Porsches forever, and he told me he actually doesn't like the brake override system because it burns your brakes in no time. If you have a problem, can't shift to neutral, just shut off the engine then brake.

As far as your Car and Drivers articles, I trust them to be correct, however, not all Toyotas are the same. The article actually confirms what I told you:

3. The "electronic issue." Unlike vehicles from some other automakers, Toyotas don't kill the throttle when you hit the brakes. This means it's possible to apply both at the same time. Our own instrumented testing determined that you can safely brake a car from highway speed, even with the throttle pegged. But if the accelerator is floored and the car is in gear, repeated stabs at the pedal and modulation of speed with the brake will eventually overheat the brakes and cause them to fail. Pumping the brakes is a bad idea beyond the overheating issue. When the throttle is stuck open, the engine isn’t producing sufficient vacuum to enable power assist for the brakes, so press the brake pedal firmly once and don’t let up. (Some allege that electromagnetic interference could be causing the electronic throttles in Toyotas to become stuck open; this is completely unsubstantiated. It’s also possible that alien tractor beams are to blame.)
The lack of a throttle kill is probably the explanation for Toyotas' higher reported rate of "unintended acceleration" than other brands. But it's critical to note that the lack of such a throttle kill isn't a defect. It isn't Toyota's responsibility to account for every possible stupid thing people might do in a car. Anyone so uncoordinated that they can't differentiate the pedals and operate them independently shouldn't be driving.
And this is going to sound uncharitable, but even if the recall dealing with potentially sticking pedals applies to a lot of Toyotas, why aren’t people just shifting into neutral? Even if the throttle really sticks fully open, it won't have any accelerative impact on the car if it's in neutral. By this point, if you have a Toyota (or any car), and you don't know to shift to neutral if the engine races unexpectedly, you're going to succumb to what can only be described as natural selection.

This guy think he's funny, and that people are dumb for pressing both pedals at the same time, but when one is stuck and the car keeps on accelerating, keeping your cool or recognizing what's going on could be a matter of seconds, and in some cases it can be enough to kill yourself.
The very first reaction is to hit the brake. It's natural. Realizing the gas is stuck, and that you need to shift to neutral, then slam the breaks, but you don't have to pump them (even though people in cold places, as you know, that don't have ABS are used to pumping when the car won't slow down) it's a lot of stuff to know unless you're already aware of it. Not to mention that you can easily burn through your brakes if you don't know you don't have to pump them.

ElNono
02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
More of what I was talking about from the other article you posted:

Turn It Off
Switching off the ignition is a sure way to silence an engine, but it’s probably the least desirable action because it will also make the car more difficult to maneuver. It causes a loss of power-steering assist, plus it will cut off vacuum boost for the brakes. The new wrinkle here: the keyless, push-button start-and-stop systems in many vehicles. Owners need to be aware that these systems require a long press of the button to shut off power when the car is moving (so that an inadvertent touch of the button by the driver doesn’t kill the engine). Here, too, the Toyota was slightly behind the curve; the Infiniti’s engine shut down after a 2.5-second press of the button versus 3.3 seconds for the Camry. In an emergency, that would probably feel like an eternity. For some perspective, if a V-6 Camry’s throttle became stuck at 60 mph, the car would accelerate to nearly 80 mph before the engine would surrender.
Furthermore, short, frantic pressing of the Toyota’s start/stop button—the probable response in an emergency—does nothing, whereas the Infiniti kills the engine after three rapid-fire presses.

ElNono
02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I went back to read my original post, and I see where I misspoke. It's not that the brakes that won't work, it's the throttle that won't be shut down. My apologies for the confusion.

Darrin
02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
It's a big deal to me. This is my government at work. They are protecting lives and consumers by taking on a company too big for me, as an individual, to do. If you watched the testimony--the excuses are the same. Engineers and complaining consumers were ignored by Toyota. We're too big to know, at all times, what everyone knows. We didn't get back because we didn't have time to investigate.

But someone asked the question, and in doing so, informed the public. The first recall that Toyota had was in 2000 concerning the floormats. Why is it in 2010 we're issuing a recall for 8 million domestic cars?

This is the reason for this government. This is how it still works. This shows how even the most reputable company can still lie and needs a regulatory body to oversee them. At a time when there's been so much politics and lying and nonsense, this has been welcomed. I mean, attacking 16-18 per cent of the Auto market-share in the US in the middle of a severe recession isn't welcomed. It worries me. But it's nice to know they are doing something for us.

jman3000
02-24-2010, 08:04 PM

I'd say about 90%+ of the Tundras built in San Antonio are made from materials made and assembled in the US. A lot of the small stuff like bolts, clamps, and screws are from Japan though.

ElNono
02-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd say about 90%+ of the Tundras built in San Antonio are made from materials made and assembled in the US. A lot of the small stuff like bolts, clamps, and screws are from Japan though.

No need to guess... posted earlier in this thread:

ducks
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
I think the media is making a bigger deal then they need to
it has nothing to do with the qualitly of the car
it is a a fabric issues with the gas pedal

if the usa gov did not own gmc would they even be as much talk about this

ducks
02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
It's a big deal to me. This is my government at work. They are protecting lives and consumers by taking on a company too big for me, as an individual, to do. If you watched the testimony--the excuses are the same. Engineers and complaining consumers were ignored by Toyota. We're too big to know, at all times, what everyone knows. We didn't get back because we didn't have time to investigate.

But someone asked the question, and in doing so, informed the public. The first recall that Toyota had was in 2000 concerning the floormats. Why is it in 2010 we're issuing a recall for 8 million domestic cars?

This is the reason for this government. This is how it still works. This shows how even the most reputable company can still lie and needs a regulatory body to oversee them. At a time when there's been so much politics and lying and nonsense, this has been welcomed. I mean, attacking 16-18 per cent of the Auto market-share in the US in the middle of a severe recession isn't welcomed. It worries me. But it's nice to know they are doing something for us.

yeah they bought a car company and now are trying to bash one they do not own

hummm are they looking out for me or them

coyotes_geek
03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
CG: Bump. Looks like Toyota's incentives are doing the job of mitigating the impact of the recalls.

Toyota sales rise 40 pct in March on incentives
Toyota sales in US soar 40 percent in March; incentives to continue into spring

NEW YORK (AP) -- Toyota sales surged 40 percent in March compared with last year after the automaker offered some of its deepest discounts ever to cope with the fallout of millions of recalls.

The incentives were scheduled to end April 5, but Toyota Group Vice President Bob Carter said some will continue into the spring, including an offer of free maintenance for return Toyota customers.

"When you look at what retail consumers are buying, many more retail consumers are going to be buying Toyotas in the month of March than any other brand," Carter said in an interview with The Associated Press at the New York International Auto Show, which kicked off with press previews on Wednesday.

Toyota Motor Corp. has been reeling from the recall of more than 8 million vehicles worldwide -- including 6 million in the U.S. -- over problems with accelerator pedals and braking issues with the Prius hybrid. The automaker rolled out aggressive incentive programs in early March, including 0-percent financing on recalled models, low-priced leasing and the free maintenance offer.

Carter said Toyota would provide updates on its incentive programs on Monday, but added that any changes would be small.

"We'll tweak them, adjust them, but don't expect us to have much of a strategic change," he said. "They're working very well.

Carter said Toyota dealers have so far repaired about 2 million recalled cars and trucks in the U.S. Dealers are repairing about 50,000 vehicles a day, he said, by adding metal shims to the accelerators and shaving down pedals to prevent them from sticking or getting trapped under floor mats.

Automakers are scheduled to report March sales on Thursday. Toyota's sales fell 9 percent in February while the broader industry saw sales climb 13 percent.

Carter said one big seller in March was the RAV4 small SUV, which saw sales more than triple from February to about 24,000. Those sales got a boost from trade-ins from rival automakers and brisk business from young families, who like how the vehicle combines elements of a sedan and SUV.

Carter said "a small percentage" of Toyota's March sales increase was due to customers who would have bought Toyotas in later months. A large number of buyers remain "on the fence" about buying Toyotas and will make their purchase once the media frenzy over quality dies down.

Carter said he welcomed government investigations into any ties between electronics in Toyota vehicles and cases of unintended acceleration.

Toyota has repeatedly denied that its electronics are to blame for unintended acceleration, blaming faulty gas pedals or pedal entrapment under floor mats.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-sales-rise-40-pct-in-apf-2420739766.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=

LnGrrrR
04-01-2010, 03:21 AM

I had my brakes go out on me while driving a car once, when I was a much younger driver; I will readily admit I didn't think about the emergency break. My first thought was avoiding the car I was rapidly coming up on, which I did manage successfully. I instead hit a telephone pole.

TeyshaBlue
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I had my brakes go out on me while driving a car once, when I was a much younger driver; I will readily admit I didn't think about the emergency break. My first thought was avoiding the car I was rapidly coming up on, which I did manage successfully. I instead hit a telephone pole.

Nice.

I had the steering wheel of a Volkswagen Fox come completely off the column as I was driving down a residential street. It took me almost 2 seconds just to get over the incongruency of holding a steering wheel before my face that was not connected to anything.:lol
I managed to stop safely and even roll over to the curb. But, not 5 minutes before, I was bombing around loop 820 @ 70mph. I can't imagine what would've happened if the wheel had come off then.:wow