PDA

View Full Version : Any sign the Spurs are going to call up Hairston?

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
They usually call up any guys on the Toros for the RRT. I guess there's no point now that Finley's back to stay?

Bruno
02-03-2010, 03:05 PM
The logic behind calling up a player for the RRT is to teach/show him the NBA world. Malik has been a lot around Spurs so I doubt he will be called up for the RRT.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 03:06 PM
That's not correct. In previous seasons, players were called up for team unity and to get spot minutes in case someone got tired or if there was extended garbage time.

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Hairston is all hype

ElNono
They already hired a ball boy for the trip...

timvp
Can the Spurs call him up and send him down one more time or two more times? I've seen local reports both ways.

Blackjack
02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
If memory serves, he's only been called up once since officially being sent down (a short stint because of the Finley injury), so they should have two more re-calls available.

Bruno
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
That's not correct. In previous seasons, players were called up for team unity and to get spot minutes in case someone got tired or if there was extended garbage time.

Well if everybody is healthy, Hairston won't even be on the active roster.

I think that if Spurs planed to call him up for the RRT, they would have done it when Parker got injured.

Muser
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
If the Spurs are up big against the bottom feeders on this road trip, is it better for Malik to get 5-10 minutes of garbage time or majority time in D-League?

urunobili
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Can the Spurs call him up and send him down one more time or two more times? I've seen local reports both ways.

Two more times.

He was called up just once.

The second time he was with the team in NOLA didn't suit up from there, two more are available.

I think he'll travel with the team.

Bruno
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
A player can be send down three time to the D-League. Hairston has still been send down two times.

Whisky Dog
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
They could call him up and send him down, but the next call up he'd have to stay up for good.

urunobili
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
A player can be send down three time to the D-League. Hairston has still been send down two times.

what was the second one? he wasn't officially called back for the NOLA game despite being in the city with the team...

Bruno
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
what was the second one? he wasn't officially called back for the NOLA game despite being in the city with the team...

http://www.nba.com/dleague/dleague/transactions.html

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Well if everybody is healthy, Hairston won't even be on the active roster.
True. He might not suit up for any of the games, but usually travelling with the team is the point. If a guy's in your future plans, this is the bonding moment for the team.

I think that if Spurs planed to call him up for the RRT, they would have done it when Parker got injured.
I agree. In fact, if they had any real intention of giving him minutes, he'd have gotten them when Finley was hurt. While I'm hopeful there's an outside chance he could get some minutes here or there, I'm not sold that the intent to play him is the primary motivation should they decide to call him up.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Is that right? I thought they could be called up three times, in which case he's only been called up once, since he started the season on the Spurs roster.

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I'd rather he just stayed in the D-league..

Playing basketball anywhere is always better than sitting on the bench in a suit..

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd rather he just stayed in the D-league..

Playing basketball anywhere is always better than sitting on the bench in a suit..

That hasn't been the belief historically. Again, it's supposed to be a team-unifying trip.

ElNono
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose, but a player can only be assigned to the NBA D-League three times in a season.

From Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League)

in2deep
02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
no point.

Pop will play Fin and Bonner for 15+mins each :pctoss

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose, but a player can only be assigned to the NBA D-League three times in a season.

From Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League)

Thank you. That pretty much means there's no chance he gets called up.

Bruno
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
He might not suit up for any of the games, but usually travelling with the team is the point. If a guy's in your future plans, this is the bonding moment for the team.

My point is that Hairston has been with Spurs for 2 years including last year RRT. I don't really think he needs to create more links with his teammates.

IMO, playing in the D-league to improve his game is more benficial for him than traveling with the team.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 04:24 PM
My point is that Hairston has been with Spurs for 2 years including last year RRT. I don't really think he needs to create more links with his teammates.

IMO, playing in the D-league to improve his game is more benficial for him than traveling with the team.

Fair enough. I like the warm and fuzzy of the whole team being together. Kind of adds to the bunker mentality for me.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Probably the first time "warm and fuzzy" and "bunker mentality" were used in the same thought. :lol