PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard to be traded?

djohn2oo8
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
There is a disconnect between the Dallas Mavericks and their prodigal son, Josh Howard. The disconnect is vast enough that while the organization issues what it hopes are comforting denials of substantive trade talks, DallasBasketball.com has learned that the J-Ho camp believes he will be traded before the Feb. 18 deadline – some Josh confidantes even convinced they’ve pinned down Howard’s future team as either being the Raptors or the Heat.

From the Mavs, more denials: “That comes completely out of left field,’’ says one team source. From an NBA exec: “A lot of teams want Josh Howard. It’s just a matter of what Dallas wants for him.’’

From Josh: Well, he’s allowing his on-court performance to do his talking for him. And therefore: Silence.

The problem with these specific rumors resounding from those close to Josh isn’t that his name isn’t being discussed. Teams are exploring his availability … and frankly, those talks are occurring just as Dallas’ frustrations with him are accumulating

By the time we near Feb.18, maybe the Mavs’ goal here will be revealed to be a way to facilitate a three-way deal that can land them Sacramento’s Kevin Martin or Washington’s Caron Butler or Philly’s Andre Iguodala or the Clippers’ Chris Kaman or somebody of that ilk. Maybe that’s why we get front-office denials regarding specific contact with specific teams. As we spit-ball, that’s as logical as we can get as we try to explain the Howard camp’s Raptors/Heat thoughts

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2514
full article

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2010, 03:37 PM
We've been hearing Howard trade rumors for 5 minutes now..get it done already, as long as it doesn't involve Iguodala..

j.dizzle
02-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Its about time, Dallas aint gonna win a title with Howard so might as well trade his inconsistent ass & try to shake up the team. Send that midget JJ with him.

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2010, 03:42 PM
We've been hearing Howard trade rumors for 5 minutes now..get it done already, as long as it doesn't involve Iguodala..

Iguodala would allow us to at least have hopes of contending with LA. Any true nba fan would cheer ANY team over the Lakers. Hell, as a Mav fan I'd rather the Spurs won it all than the Lakers.

djohn2oo8
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Howard has become a fashionable whipping boy among fans and media in and around Dallas, despite once being among the area's more popular players. His production this season, injury woes over the last two years and the team's recent struggles get tied together, leaving Howard in knots.
"I never said I don't want to be here," Howard told NBA.com. "It's as much a shock to me. I've only played [27] games. I haven't even got to two months [worth of games] yet. I don't know why everybody is ganging up on me."

By all accounts, Howard hasn't been a disruptive force in the locker room. Still, the trade rumors have swirled, with Toronto and Sacramento being the most recent. A change of address seems like only a matter of time. Howard's contract qualifies as extremely tradable, but he sees himself as more than just a trade chip.
"It's not like [other teams] think I'm sorry in this league," he said. "I know that for a fact. If it's meant for me to get traded, it's going to happen. That's not even my concern. My concern is winning."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/02/03/nba.insider/index.html

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Miami's not going to trade for Josh unless they can give up the salary to get under the luxury tax, so chances are you're gonna need a third team. Too early for me to lobby for the Spurs to be that team and get DWright?

HarlemHeat37
Iguodala would allow us to at least have hopes of contending with LA. Any true nba fan would cheer ANY team over the Lakers. Hell, as a Mav fan I'd rather the Spurs won it all than the Lakers.

That's true, and I always cheer for the Mavs when they play LA too..I guess we'll see how I feel..if the Spurs make a legit move, I won't mind the Mavs move..

Is that all you guys think Dallas needs?..the #2 option is obviously the glaring need(been a while) and Iggy would fit that, so do you think that's all the Mavs need to contend?..

mavs>spurs2
Josh doing his best positive attitude guy impersonation. Maybe someone will be stupid enough to bite :tu

badfish22
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
get iggy

or Butler

or Kevin Martin

badfish22
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
"They didn't give me a reason why they ain't starting me, so I don't know. I ain't been cussing, I ain't been fussing, I ain't been tripping."

:lmao

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2010, 03:50 PM
"They didn't give me a reason why they ain't starting me, so I don't know. I ain't been cussing, I ain't been fussing, I ain't been tripping."

IDK, that last part may be a lie, I can easily see him tripping over his own retarded bow legged feet :lmao

Muser
02-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Josh + Damp could bring in a shit load of talent?

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Josh + Damp could bring in a shit load of talent?

If our GM proves he's anywhere close to competent, then yes. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ghazi
02-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Let's hope

Throw in Barea too.

mavsluva
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM

He can't be responsible for what the mouth says.

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Iguodala would allow us to at least have hopes of contending with LA.

Except you guys still have nobody that can defend Bynum

Ghazi
02-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Bynum turns into casper in teh playoffs anywho :D

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Dampier is a decent defensive big. No one's priority in beating the Lakers will be shutting down Bynum anyway. He's a 3rd option.

I-Ball
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

there is no need to defend bynum.

crc21209
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Josh Howard and Amare Stoudemire are the two names I wish would get traded already. For the past 2 years all we've heard is rumors...just do it already damn it..

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
there is no need to defend bynum.

Really? He's shooting 70% against Dallas this year :lol

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Dampier is a decent defensive big. No one's priority in beating the Lakers will be shutting down Bynum anyway. He's a 3rd option.

Did you even watch Dallas/LA play this year?

Bynum is absolutely capable of being the second option on the best team in the West. So if Pau is having his monthly period then Bynum has the ability to step up and fill that scoring void.

I-Ball
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Really? He's shooting 70% against Dallas this year :lol

but he will only get 3 shots, while kobe is playing :lol

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Josh Howard for Kevin Martin....do it Cuban

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Did you even watch Dallas/LA play this year?

Bynum is absolutely capable of being the second option on the best team in the West. So if Pau is having his monthly period then Bynum has the ability to step up and fill that scoring void.

Dampier is a decent defensive big and Bynum isn't the one and only key to beating the Lakers. Hmm..deja vu?

Darthkiller
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
They need iggy, kmart wil be useless for them. Mav's weakness is backcourt defense, iggy is a great defender.

Ghazi
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
that 70% stat is skewed by the game Dampier missed where Bynum went 8-8

Iggy alone may not be enough... Dalembert along with him gives you a decent C tandem capable of guarding Bynum IMHO.

Shank
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.gifflix.com/files/7868c9eaa99d.gif

Shank
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb185/collegelifer76/De-Motivational%20Posters/Punt.jpg

benefactor
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Miami's not going to trade for Josh unless they can give up the salary to get under the luxury tax, so chances are you're gonna need a third team. Too early for me to lobby for the Spurs to be that team and get DWright?
I have spent a lot of time over the past week or so trying to find ways that this could happen. Dorell Wright would be perfect for the Spurs.

21_Blessings
02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Dampier is a decent defensive big and Bynum isn't the one and only key to beating the Lakers. Hmm..deja vu?

My point was Bynum owns Dampier's soul. Dallas won't have a chance in hell to come out of that series alive if Bynum averages 20 on 70% like he has been.

badfish22
02-03-2010, 06:26 PM

We'll let Bynum get his. Iggy+Marion can contain Kobe and maybe get him frustrated a bit.

Thing is Bynum scoring 25 won't kill us.

Rogue
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I'd rather not trade him at present as a pure piece of expiring contract while you could have got a whole lot of talents a couple years ago from the same person. No way would Philly dismantle Iggy for a single piece of expiring contract unless the taker agrees to absorb Dale's awful contract, which would inexorably involve other Mavs that Donnie loves too much to put on sale.

Leaving alone Matt Carroll that no team would ever consider accepting, the other fringe players only earn salaries ranging from 1 million to 2, which means Donnie would need to pack up a half of team rosters in order to match Dalembert's salary. And Mavs don't have such dormant staffs as Van Horn this time.

TheSpursFNRule
02-03-2010, 06:56 PM

I too would rather the Mavs win over the Lakers.

duncan228
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
On the Block: Josh Howard, Mavericks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-ontheblockjoshhoward&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

With the Feb. 18 trading deadline approaching, SportingNews’ Sean Deveney assesses the latest player rumors. Today’s player on the spot: Mavericks swingman Josh Howard.

The facts: The multi-talented Howardhas struggled with ankle injuries over the last two years, and he has complained about his diminishing role in Dallas. Howard is averaging career lows in shooting (39.4 percent) and 3-point shooting (26.5).

Bait needed: Howard makes $10.9 million on a contract that can expire this summer. That makes him attractive, both as a talented player and as an expiring contract, and the Mavericks are looking to add another big scorer to replace him, regardless of the player’s contract.

Welcome mat: Dallas has been linked to wing players with big remaining contracts-Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala tops the list, with Sacramento’s Kevin Martin and Washington’s Caron Butler also candidates. The Bulls, with combo guard Kirk Hinrich or John Salmons, could be an option, too.

Logic test: The Mavericks are just 6-7 in their last 13 and haven’t been playing defense-they’ve given up 100-plus points in five straight games. Howard is a good defender, but he hasn’t been moving well, and the Mavs could lose him to free agency. Any team that trades for him will, at least, have an upper hand in re-signing Howard if he plays well down the stretch. So a deal involving Howard makes sense.

So they say: "The ankle is aproblem, but probably only in the short term. If you want him just as an expiring contract, that works. But if you are looking at him as a player to keep going forward, he is very talented and very versatile." - Western Conference scout

Bottom line: The Mavericks are just two games behind Denver for the second seed in the West-and time is running out for them to challenge the Lakers and return to the NBA Finals in the Dirk Nowitzki era. They will have to settle for a bad contract, but with a win-now mentality,they will be aggressive.

mavs>spurs2
02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
If we are unable to bring in some SERIOUS talent with Josh, Gooden, and Dampier's contracts, then something is wrong. The warriors offered Ellis for Josh not once, but twice. Had we taken that deal, and traded dampier/gooden/barea for iggy dalembart, we'd be sporting this lineup:

PG- Kidd
SG- Ellis
SF- Iggy
PF-Dirk
C- Dalembart

Not to mention if philly is in rebuilding mode they might decide to give damp's minutes to a young guy and just go ahead and release him, allowing Damp to come back to us for the minimum.

badfish22
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
The warriors offered Ellis for Josh not once, but twice.

You sure 'bout dat?
link?

Findog
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
My point was Bynum owns Dampier's soul. Dallas won't have a chance in hell to come out of that series alive if Bynum averages 20 on 70% like he has been.

With the team they have now, Dallas isn't getting past the second round. So I doubt we'd face the Lakers anyways, unless we're the 4 seed.