PDA

View Full Version : Player you idolized.

phxspurfan
02-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I personally really liked John Starks. I would imagine myself turning around and hoisting 3's (over Jordan) in the playoffs all day. Or going up for dunks like this:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/john_starks_the_dunk.jpg

And I had this one basketball card of his that I held onto all these years, even thinking it was worth something. Then of course there was the game NBA Jam in the arcade, and everyone was picking teams like the Warriors with Mullin and the Bulls with Pippen and his full court 3s. I would always pick the Knicks.

http://www.rotoevil.com/images/knicks.jpeg

Obstructed_View
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Dr J.

JamStone
02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Growing up, Magic and Isiah. My two favorite players. And Dennis Rodman to a certain degree. I was also a really big Charles Barkley fan when I was younger, but not the way I looked up to Magic and Isiah.

"Idolized" is too strong a term, but as I got older over probably the last 10-15 years or so, my favorite players in the league have been Nick Van Exel, Walt Williams, Iverson, KG, and Ginobili.

baseline bum
02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
When I was a kid, Hakeem Olajuwon, because I got tall really young (then stayed the same height, dammit!) and loved using his baseline spin and fadeaway.

I. Hustle
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
For me it was two players. I tried to play ball the way they did when I was in school.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wp0405_elliott_1024.jpghttps://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u89/charles-barkley.jpg

Muser
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Sean Elliott

MiamiHeat
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
http://mattandjojang.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/michael-jordan_3.jpg

not idolized, but my favorite player

bostonguy
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Eddie House and JR Smith

mardigan
02-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I loved the way Jimmy Jackson played. All through his college and NBA days, he, along with Grandmama, Barkley, Mario Ellie, and Dan Majerle where my favorite non Spur players growing up.

Baseline
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
As a kid growing up in North Carolina... David Thompson.

Later, Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins.

Now, Tim Duncan.

dirk4mvp
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Dirk, JJ Redick at Duke

phxspurfan
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Growing up, Magic and Isiah. My two favorite players. And Dennis Rodman to a certain degree. I was also a really big Charles Barkley fan when I was younger, but not the way I looked up to Magic and Isiah.

"Idolized" is too strong a term, but as I got older over probably the last 10-15 years or so, my favorite players in the league have been Nick Van Exel, Walt Williams, Iverson, KG, and Ginobili.

My older brother was a huge Barkley fan (and later a Penny Hardaway fan). I remember him saving up for half a year to get his Barkley jersey. Like me with the Knicks-Rockets finals, he was crushed when the Suns didn't make it past the Bulls.

What's funny about the '90s is that Jordan was so good, but so many people hated him because he stomped out the dreams of all the other good players like Barkley, Ewing, Stockton/Malone...

Bukefal
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Nice thread!

Back in the days;

Magic
David Robinson
Petrovic
Glen Rice
And of course MJ

XFactor
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley

ffadicted
02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
without a doubt, Manu Ginobili!

fuck I feel young

phxspurfan
02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Nice thread!

Back in the days;

Magic
David Robinson
Petrovic
Glen Rice
And of course MJ

Glen Rice (and the old school Hornets) was/were so money back then. I remember those teams but can't figure out why they never really made a playoff splash. Probably the Bulls/Knicks bullied them lol

Bukefal
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Glen Rice (and the old school Hornets) was/were so money back then. I remember those teams but can't figure out why they never really made a playoff splash. Probably the Bulls/Knicks bullied them lol

When he was with Hornets I really liked Glen Rice. He was great, especially 1996 and 1997. I always liked and idolized him. But when he joined the lakers and afterwards not so much anymore. I didnt care about the hornets, ive been a spurs fan because of and since robinson, it was just about Rice as a player, I liked him. As well as with the rest of the players ive mentioned, I didnt care so much about their teams, but just the players. except for robinson and the spurs

JoeTait75
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
"Idolized" is probably too strong of a way to put it, but the guy I respected the most when I was younger was the late Bobby Phills. I always admired the way he came up from a small school (Southern) and transformed himself from a bench-warmer to a viable NBA starter. Nothing was handed to him; he had to work a little harder than the next guy to make it. And I liked his game: he was a tough defender who worked himself from a bricklayer to a guy with a not-half-bad outside shot.

The superstars are great, obviously, but I've always liked the dirt-dogs more, being someone who isn't exactly athletically gifted himself.

MiamiHeat
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
loved G-Money Glen Rice when he was on the HEAT

jacobdrj
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Reggie Miller is my favorite.

Shawn Kemp and Sam Perkins are up there.

I spent some time in 1998-1999 trying to pattern my game after Allen Houston. He had a great triple threat.

phxspurfan
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
loved G-Money Glen Rice when he was on the HEAT

I also liked the Heat for awhile when Riley bolted for them after the Rockets' finals debacle. Those teams, with Tim Hardaway, Zo, Majerle were fun to watch. And of course who didn't enjoy them brawl with the Knicks that one time.

Trimble87
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Clyde Drexler baby

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/109/899/429/yxFl.jpg

IronMexican
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Shaq. I was the shortest kid though. But it was Shaq.

blkroadrunners
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
David Robinson, Reggie Miller

phxspurfan
02-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Shaq. I was the shortest kid though. But it was Shaq.

I was too, but I still tried to play like Tim Duncan and C-Webb later on. Funny how their post moves still worked :hat

IronMexican
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I was too, but I still tried to play like Tim Duncan later on. Funny how his moves still worked :hat

Yeah, me running people over worked.

pauls931
02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Kj

DAF86
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
MJ-Elliott-Iverson-Manu

Technique
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Ginobili and Tony Parker. TP was my favorite player before he was recognized as a top PG in the league.

kamikazi_player
02-03-2010, 05:56 PM
MJ for sure, reason why i watched basketball. Used to like D-Rob alot. Tim Duncan was the reason why i love the spurs. I also like Eddie Jones, Shaq, Nick Anderson, and T-Mac back in the day.

lil_penny
02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Anfernee hardaway, clyde drexler, mj.

Jeremy
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Definitely Charles Barkley, and also Michael Jordan. And to some degree Kevin Johnson and Elliott "Socks" Perry (have to misspell his first name ;)). Growing up, I remember imitating Barkley's post move where he caught the ball with his right hand up high, like he was just talking about on TNT last week.

himat
02-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I am a young guy (18) so my players are more recent.

Iverson: He plays so hard. His priorities (always scoring) really screwed him over as a winner though.

Rip Hamilton: His best part of his game was running off the ball. That takes effort and commitment, not talent. Some of the things NBA players do you just can't put in your game because their talent level is through the roof. Running off the ball is not one of those.

Ben Wallace: Loved the tenacity. Shows how an underdog can rise in such a talented game.

Derrick Rose: I love how he takes it the basket 24/7. He drives by you when the defender knows he's going to drive.

Chieflion
02-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Allen Iverson. He gave little guys some hope that they can be great basketball players.

Allanon
02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Iverson, Manu and Duncan.

JamStone
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I loved the way Jimmy Jackson played. All through his college and NBA days, he, along with Grandmama, Barkley, Mario Ellie, and Dan Majerle where my favorite non Spur players growing up.

I have to admit that I got on the Grandmama bandwagon when those commercials came out, at least for a little bit. Sometimes, cockiness makes you hate a player. Other times, it makes you like the player more. That was me with LJ. And, after he'd hit a three pointer and do the "LJ" with his left fist to his right elbow, I thought that was great.

Killakobe81
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Not idolized but admired most:
Magic - first game i watched was his performance in the NBA FINALS his rookie year
Karem - The sky hook
Nique - The human highlight film
Worthy - Big game James!!! Wore his number in HS ...
hakeem - best big man of my generation (Kareem was at tail end when i started
GP - The Glove!!! the man i modeled my defensive game after ...
Kemp - The reign man ..what i would give to dunk like him ...
DFish - though he gets a lot of hate loved his class leadership and toughness
Tim - best bigman since Hakeem
Kobe - best since MJ (Until Lebron takes it ...)
Horry - Class and clutchnes
Reggie - not much class but brash and clutch
Dwill - I see great leadership and fire and size to his game ...
Durant - Great potential
Howard - if his offense ever catches up to his defense ...
and until recently KG- ALL fire and heart

Killakobe81
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
this does NOT MEAN the guys i left off I don't respect Bird, MJ, Barkley c3p, Dirk, stockton etc. but the guys I listed were the ones I enjoyed watching the most

Some i didnt like do to them being rivals of my teams (Bird, Stockton Malone) others were great players but for whatever reason something about their personality demanor or games rubbed me the wrong way (C3P)or they failed in the clutch (Malone) and although great just seem to lack their extra oomph.

Also I tend to not root for the universaly media loved guy as the best player ... going with the other guy for example:
When Jerry Rice was the best i preferred Sharpe
When MJ was the best I preferred Hakeem
People loved Jeter I went with arod
People loved montana I preferred Marino

I do not think ANY of the guys I chose is greater in the last group I just hate to jump on the media bandwagon in some cases ...and titles always meant most to me

I m a cowboys and laker fan so i cant always be the front-runner ...

and i agree with Jamstone some guys you dont mind the cocky

Didnt like Mj's cockiness (but respect his game) but loved Reggie and the choke with Spike Lee... and I didnt mind GP's or Kobe's either

I just dont like when the media says a player is far and away the best ...i just prefer to play devil's advocate sometimes ...(like with MJ)

Killakobe81
02-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Oh and i enjoy LBJ as well ...dont like the dancing ...but I think he can be the GOAT when he starts winning titles ...
havent completely made up my mind on him yet as far as rooting i was a witness 3 years ago when he made the finals ...but jumped off after the past 2 years ...as the media has piled on ...we will see how things go ...

birdy219
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm kinda old so here it goes....

As a young girl, Willis Reed

As a teenager, Dr. J

As a young woman, Barkley

As a woman, Jordan

As a current seasoned diva, Tim Duncan

:flag:

ChrisRichards
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Ive always enjoyed the Knicks and Bulls roster in the 90's, Jordan, Xavier McDaniel, Starks, Oakley, Ewing against Jordan, Pippen and Horace Grant. Same thing with the Alonzo Mourning led heat. KG in Boston.

The Gemini Method
02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I idolized Shawn Kemp on the court and off the court as well...suffice to say, I don't have as many illegitimate children as the Reign Man...

I used to believe that I could play like Magic. The 80's were my youngest years and just getting to meet Magic, Kareem, and Worthy solidified who my faves were. I modeled most of my game after a combination of all three--however, it never was that successful as I turned to football as a teen.

LakerHater
02-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Michael Jordan but, Drazen Petrovic was someone I like to watch & try n play like!

PublicOption
02-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Charles Barkley

Lars
02-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Hakeem
Hill
Battier

timtonymanu
02-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Spurs: Tim, Admiral, Bowen, Manu, TP, Horry, Elliott

Other players: Reggie Miller, Grant Hill, Sheed

Fpoonsie
02-04-2010, 03:34 AM
It seems cliche' as a Spurs fan, but...Dave. He's the reason I became a fan of the game. And since he seemed like such a respectable guy OFF the court to boot, I figured he was the perfect role model to jump on board with.

hitmanyr2k
02-04-2010, 03:43 AM
I've always been partial to energy/defensive players and players that became stars with no hype, marketing, or fan-fare.

When I first got into basketball the Sixers were my team and as much as I loved Doc's flair and Andrew Toney's great shooting my favorite player on the team was always Bobby Jones. He was the first player that made me love to watch defense and appreciate that aspect of the game. He was relentless and it's a shame when people list the best defenders of all-time he's never brought up.

Growing up everyone was always Michael Jordan this and Michael Jordan that. I didn't really care for Jordan. Pippen was the one who got me into the Bulls. I saw him as the next Dr. J. He was one of those underdog types that I liked to root for so I followed his career and he became my favorite player of all-time. I figured he would become the next Dr. J but I didn't know he'd become the next Bobby Jones as well which was a bonus for me since I loved defense so much.

I still remember to this day seeing Manu Ginobili in the 2003 playoffs and I was telling my friends that dude is gonna be a star. Of course no one took me seriously. It seemed like everytime he came into a game he made something good happen on both ends of the floor. His unorthodox style made me take notice and a couple of years later when he was killing teams in the 2005 playoffs I was telling people "I told you so" :lol

TheManFromAcme
02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Magic. Totally adored and idolized him.

...followed by..

- Dr. J
- George Gervin

Double-Up
02-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Hakeem the Dream, Clyde, and Francis while he was here.

Capt Bringdown
02-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Player(s)
Ice
Jimmy Si
Mike Mitchell

Chomag
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
First to last for me.

1. David Robinson (the man was my ultra role model and had gifts I had never seen before)
2. Dominic Williams (Played almost every game with fire and passion,was a pure joy to watch)
3. Larry Johnson (Played with alot of heart and had very entertaining charisma)

I also loved the honrets back when they had mugsey, Morning, and Larry. Now that was a fun team to watch.

panic giraffe
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
dennis rodman was the first jersey i ever owned. all the good christian boys followed 5-0, who is awesome, but i loved the fact that someone was bringing showmanship and entertainment (while still providing defense and rebounding) to the team that i loved. too bad things didn't work out. i think about 10 years ago i ended up getting like 15 bucks for that jersey, i wish i would have kept it, now it would actually fit me.

lefty
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
- Hakeem Olajuwon
- Jordan
- John Starks
- David Robinson
- Clyde Drexler
- Cliff Robinson
- Sam Cassell during the back2back
- Barkley
- Penny Hardaway
- Tim Hardaway
- Latrell Spreewell
- Chris Mullin
- Magic
- James Worthy
- Isiah THomas
- Dominique Wilkins
- Mark Price
- Brad Daugherty
- Joe Dumars
- Dennis Rodman
- Scot Pippen

Pretty much everyone lol

phxspurfan
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
- Brad Daugherty

There's an oldie.

zJ1Q4x2zDn8

And from the comments of that video,

Larry Nance

FQP1zyift9w

JoeTait75
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
There's an oldie.

zJ1Q4x2zDn8

Best passing big man of his era.

lefty
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
There's an oldie.

zJ1Q4x2zDn8

And from the comments of that video,

Larry Nance

FQP1zyift9w

Best passing big man of his era.

Yep; and he was very humble too

Killakobe81
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Nance, Price Daugherty were once proclaimed by Magic as a "future dynasty" ...
unfortunately MJ's greatness and Daugherty's injuries never let that happen ...
But they could pass and run offense like nobody's business ...underrated great team.
I would rank them up with the 90's Jazz, Blazers and Mavs as truly great teams that just fell short ...

lefty
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
unfortunately MJ's greatnes and Daugherty's injuries never let that happen ...
But they could pass and run offense like nobody's business ...underrated great team.
I would rank them up with the 90's Jazz, Blazers and Mavs as great teams that fell short ...
Good post

JoeTait75
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
unfortunately MJ's greatnes and Daugherty's injuries never let that happen ...
I would rank them up with the 90's Jazz, Blazers and Mavs as great teams that fell short ...

Price's injuries too. After the Cavs traded KJ to Phoenix they never had adequate PG depth behind Price. They drafted Terrell Brandon in '91 but he was more of a combo guard early in his career. Price would just get beat up, that was the only way to really stop him. Chicago not only had MJ, they were deeper, stronger and more athletic. They would beat the hell out of the Cavs on the offensive boards.

Killakobe81
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Price's injuries too. After the Cavs traded KJ to Phoenix they never had adequate PG depth behind Price. They drafted Terrell Brandon in '91 but he was more of a combo guard early in his career. Price would just get beat up, that was the only way to really stop him. Chicago not only had MJ, they were deeper, stronger and more athletic. They would beat the hell out of the Cavs on the offensive boards.

Agreed.
Price though was able to have some good years after his injuries ... Brad seem to fall-off quicker.

Of course it was not ALL MJ despite what some of his devoted have stated he did not win those 6 by his lonesome.

In fact I would argue that Tim, Hakeem and kobe last year were one of the few that won a title without a sure-fire HOF'er at their side ...

hitmanyr2k
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Agreed.
Price though was able to have some good years after his injuries ... Brad seem to fall-off quicker.

Of course it was not ALL MJ despite what some of his devoted have stated he did not win those 6 by his lonesome.

In fact I would argue that Tim, Hakeem and kobe last year were one of the few that won a title without a sure-fire HOF'er at their side ...

And I would say that argument would be wrong. Shaq won a title without a sure-fire Hall of Famer because no one was calling Kobe a hall of famer in 2000...especially with his inconsistent play in the playoffs.

Jordan won a title in 1991 without a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Pippen put on a great display in the playoffs but he didn't even make the all-star team the year the Bulls won the championship.

Kobe and Pippen built their resumes as they got better and their success continued but they weren't thought of as HOF caliber teammates during that first title run. Jordan and Shaq were the ones cementing their HOF legacies with titles in 1991 and 2000 respectively.

Right now Pau Gasol is in the exact position Pippen and Kobe were in back then. He was an all-star caliber player that was an important piece to a championship team. So, like Shaq and Jordan, Kobe won a championship with an all-star caliber player at his side. If the Lakers keep winning titles and Gasol remains an important piece of the puzzle and builds his resume with a few rings and some All-NBA teams he'll be thought of as a HOF'er when it's all said and done.

Duncan and Hakeem are the only players that won a title without a true all-star caliber player at their sides.

jdev82
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
reggie miller and tim duncan

MacGyver
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Tim Duncan. He's the reason I've started playing and watching basketball.

JoeTait75
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
And I would say that argument would be wrong. Shaq won a title without a sure-fire Hall of Famer because no one was calling Kobe a hall of famer in 2000...especially with his inconsistent play in the playoffs.

Jordan won a title in 1991 without a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Pippen put on a great display in the playoffs but he didn't even make the all-star team the year the Bulls won the championship.

Kobe and Pippen built their resumes as they got better and their success continued but they weren't thought of as HOF caliber teammates during that first title run. Jordan and Shaq were the ones cementing their HOF legacies with titles in 1991 and 2000 respectively.

That's a really good point. There's a tendency to look back at the past through the lens of hindsight. It's easy to look at Chicago's run of championships, for example- especially the 1991-93 run- and say, "It was inevitable the Bulls would win those titles, after all they had Jordan and Pippen." But at the time it wasn't certain.

And in Pippen's case, he had a reputation at that time as a guy who wasn't quite tough enough to come through in the really big games, a rap he'd picked up when he was knocked out early in Game 6 of the '89 ECF and was completely ineffective with a migraine in Game 7 of the '90 ECF.

cobbler
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM

Right now Pau Gasol is in the exact position Pippen and Kobe were in back then. He was an all-star caliber player that was an important piece to a championship team. So, like Shaq and Jordan, Kobe won a championship with an all-star caliber player at his side. If the Lakers keep winning titles and Gasol remains an important piece of the puzzle and builds his resume with a few rings and some All-NBA teams he'll be thought of as a HOF'er when it's all said and done.

Duncan and Hakeem are the only players that won a title without a true all-star caliber player at their sides.

You are forgetting the entire 2004 Pistons starting team.

Kamnik
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Duncan, Ginobili,...

Dragič will join them if he will have a succesul career longterm.

Killakobe81
02-04-2010, 11:15 PM

I will agree that Pippen was no sure fire HOF'er in the first title run ditto for Kobe.
But many thought Kobe had the potential to get there by the next season ...
and Pippen probaly by the third.
Even if your premise rings true IT DOES NOT matter history bears out that MJ had pippen Shaq had Kobe and Kobe Shaq ....so therefore unless Pau ends up in the HOF ...
Duncan did it (or so we think becuase Manu has a case) at least twice
Hakeem did it once
Kobe has done it once ...

This does not take anything away from MJ beacause shaq, Kobe David etc were all considered better players than Pip and there were times Pippen bitched out when Mj needed him most ....

Killakobe81
02-04-2010, 11:17 PM
You are forgetting the entire 2004 Pistons starting team.

Great point but they have no player in this discussion ...
But they had a great run ...good call.