PDA

View Full Version : Amare Leans Toward NOT Opting Out

Jeremy
02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/73132

Original story: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/03/amare-stoudemire-leans-toward-not-opting-out-of-contract/

Allanon
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
This is why the Suns are shopping him vigorously.

They're afraid he's actually going to stay.

Xylus
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I'd like to keep Amare, but he's just not worth the max. I'd be okay with paying him somewhere in the $14-$16 million dollar range.

pauls931
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd like to keep Amare, but he's just not worth the max. I'd be okay with paying him somewhere in the $14-$16 million dollar range.

I agree, I think he's another product of Nash. He needs a good PG to be allstar caliber.

kamikazi_player
02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
finally the amare love is here. I know he's not worth the max, but he shouldn't be cheap like everyone's suggesting.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 06:29 PM
If No-D-Steve is worth the extension he just signed then Amare is worth the max.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think Amare is worth that much. He is a very good player, but he has not proven he can be the 2nd option on a championship team and he is one dimensional; given that dimension is very good. He also has had some injuries.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I know there are plenty of Suns fans regurgitating the "Amare just isn't worth the max" garbage Paul Coro and the other AZcentral writers have been slinging around lately, but the issue isn't whether or not Amare is worth the max, the issue is whether or not they have any better option.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Of course they do. Why give a player the max if he is truly not worth it and if it truly won't give you a shot a title?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Of course they do. Why give a player the max if he is truly not worth it and if it truly won't give you a shot a title?

What better options do they have?

Pero
02-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Tank. :D

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Tank. :D

That's not an option. Sarver has made it clear he's not willing to fully rebuild because it would hurt ticket sales. I'd be all for tanking next year.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Waiting to see who comes available. I don't know any specific players as it would all be conjuncture at this point, but you don't make a bad investment just because nothing else seems imminent that is better.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Especially if the Suns miss the playoffs this year. If that is the case, how much worse could it get?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Waiting to see who comes available. I don't know any specific players as it would all be conjuncture at this point, but you don't make a bad investment just because nothing else seems imminent that is better.

No one wants to go to the Suns right now and no one will for at least the next 5 years. You act like the Suns will be loaded with options in the near future.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Especially if the Suns miss the playoffs this year. If that is the case, how much worse could it get?

Apparently missing the playoffs was a good enough season to warrant giving Nash an extension, Amare's just doing what Nash did to earn his extension. Can't fault him there.

Rogue
02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
It doesn't make big sense to scrimp the Amaré signing while it's solid consensus that he is one of the best players in this league if not the best one. If Amaré doesn't opt out of his current contract then he'll probably stay in Phoenix till 2011 summer when it expires as well as many garbage contracts the suns hold at present, which means suns will have sufficient room to absorb Amarés demand without tightening their belt.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Apparently missing the playoffs was a good enough season to warrant giving Nash an extension, Amare's just doing what Nash did to earn his extension. Can't fault him there.

I am not faulting Amare. I am asking questions to the FO. Just because they are making mistakes does not mean what they are doing needs to be defended or that it makes logical sense.

You say they won't go into full tank mode because it will hurt ticket sales, but missing the playoffs repeatedly doesn't? That logic does not fly and when it comes to whether or not you give Amare max money or near max, you have to question if it is smart to give a player who won't help your team win a title, let alone possibly make the playoffs that kind of money.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 07:13 PM
No one wants to go to the Suns right now and no one will for at least the next 5 years. You act like the Suns will be loaded with options in the near future.

If you have money, great trainers and an easy system, players will go to. The Suns have never struggled to get great players. Also, lets say no one wants to go to the Suns. Does that make giving Amare the type of money he wants a good decision?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I am not faulting Amare. I am asking questions to the FO. Just because they are making mistakes does not mean what they are doing needs to be defended or that it makes logical sense.

You say they won't go into full tank mode because it will hurt ticket sales, but missing the playoffs repeatedly doesn't? That logic does not fly and when it comes to whether or not you give Amare max money or near max, you have to question if it is smart to give a player who won't help your team win a title, let alone possibly make the playoffs that kind of money.

Everything posted here makes perfectly logical sense and I'd agree with it 99% of the time. If the Suns planned on trading Amare in order to begin a rebuilding process then I'd be fine with it. The problem is they are shopping Amare right now because they legitimately think it will make them a better team to trade him for nothing.

Rogue
02-03-2010, 07:19 PM

If the suns are losing heart on Amaré and going to make the decision of ridding him, then guaranteed there will be a long queue of teams tossing bids for him. Even if the Suns indeed want to start rebuilding mode with Amaré gone, they would still ink him as a Suns player before seeking any offer since dude is still relatively young hence he shouldn't turn into Stackhouse mode in the near future. Therefore the Suns would comfortably sit on the bank baiting a whole lot of young talents and draft picks, which IMHO seems much better an option than letting him walk freely.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 07:19 PM
The Suns have never struggled to get great players.

Jerry Colangelo never struggled to get great players. Not the same thing. Since Sarver took over they've alienated a lot more players then they got.

DPG21920
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
There are certain teams where it might make sense to give Amare good money, he is after all a very talented player. The Suns however don't seem to be one of those teams.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-03-2010, 07:23 PM
There are certain teams where it might make sense to give Amare good money, he is after all a very talented player. The Suns however don't seem to be one of those teams.

If it made sense to give Nash money, then it makes sense to give money to Amare. I've given up on the Suns actually building for the future, it's never going to happen. The fans don't want it and it's just something I'm going to have to live with, but I'd rather watch a 45 win team than a 25 win team.

Rogue
02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
if the suns retain Amaré it necessarily means they aren't ready to rebuild yet are still willing to win something with the core of Nash and Amaré, then some prime version players should be their targets imho. Anyway it doesn't make sense to rebuild a team with Amaré contracted.