PDA

View Full Version : Stossel: Big Government's Cronnies

mogrovejo
02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
February 3, 2010
Big Government's Cronies (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/02/03/big_governments_cronies_100143.html)
By John Stossel

Many window-making companies struggle because of the recession's effect on home building. But one little window company, Serious Materials, is "booming," says Fortune. "On a roll," according to Inc. magazine, which put Serious' CEO on its cover, with a story titled: "How to Build a Great Company".

The Minnesota Freedom Foundation tells me that this same little window company also gets serious attention from the most visible people in America.

Vice President Joe Biden appeared at the opening of one of its plants. CEO Kevin Surace thanked him for his "unwavering support." "Without you and the recovery ("stimulus") act, this would not have been possible," Surace said.

Biden returned the compliment: "You are not just churning out windows; you are making some of the most energy-efficient windows in the world. I would argue the most energy-efficient windows in the world."

Gee, other window-makers say their windows are just as energy efficient, but the vice president didn't visit them.

Biden laid it on pretty thick for Serious Materials: "This is a story of how a new economy predicated on innovation and efficiency is not only helping us today but inspiring a better tomorrow."

Serious doesn't just have the vice president in his corner. It's got President Obama himself.

Company board member Paul Holland had the rare of honor of introducing Obama at a "green energy" event. Obama then said: "Serious Materials just reopened ... a manufacturing plant outside of Pittsburgh. These workers will now have a new mission: producing some of the most energy-efficient windows in the world."

How many companies get endorsed by the president of the United States?

When the CEO said that opening his factory wouldn't have been possible without the Obama administration, he may have known something we didn't. Last month, Obama announced a new set of tax credits for so-called green companies. One window company was on the list: Serious Materials. This must be one very special company.

But wait, it gets even more interesting.

On my Fox Business Network show on "crony capitalism", I displayed a picture of administration officials and so-called "energy leaders" taken at the U.S. Department of Energy. Standing front and center was Cathy Zoi, who oversees $16.8 billion in stimulus funds, much of it for weatherization programs that benefit Serious.

The interesting twist is that Zoi happens to be the wife of Robin Roy, who happens to be vice president of "policy" at Serious Windows.

Of all the window companies in America, maybe it's a coincidence that the one which gets presidential and vice presidential attention and a special tax credit is one whose company executives give thousands of dollars to the Obama campaign and where the policy officer spends nights at home with the Energy Department's weatherization boss.

Or maybe not.

There may be nothing illegal about this. Zoi did disclose her marriage and said she would recuse herself from any matter that had a predictable effect on her financial interests.

But it sure looks funny to me, and it's odd that the liberal media have so much interest in this one company. Rachel Maddow of MSNBC, usually not a big promoter of corporate growth, gushed about how Serious Materials is an example of how the "stimulus" is working.

When we asked the company about all this, a spokeswoman said, "We don't comment on the personal lives of our employees." Later she called to say that my story is "full of lies."

But she wouldn't say what those lies are.

On its website, Serious Materials says it did not get a taxpayer subsidy. But that's just playing with terms. What it got was a tax credit, an opportunity that its competitors did not get: to keep money it would have paid in taxes. Let's not be misled. Government is as manipulative with selective tax credits as it is with cash subsidies. It would be more efficient to cut taxes across the board. Why should there be favoritism?

Because politicians like it. Big, complicated government gives them opportunities to do favors for their friends.

mogrovejo
02-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Those worried about the influence of corporate money in politics and elections should reflect about this text.

There's only one reason why companies are willing to spend millions sponsoring politicians and not somebody like me:

.... because politicians have favours, public favours, to sell.

This is why it's more important for some companies to spend resources satisfying politicians and not consumers.

Kill the politicians ability to sell favours and companies would stop being interested in financing them. Quite simple.

Spursmania
02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Way to go Obama!:cheer

Nbadan
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Now that's some serious investigative reporting by Stousell...ass-hat...where was he while the Bush Administration lied through their teeth about the Iraq imminent threat, WMD's and Saddam's ties to Al-Queda...all proven false...

spursncowboys
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Now that's some serious investigative reporting by Stousell...ass-hat...where was he while the Bush Administration lied through their teeth about the Iraq imminent threat, WMD's and Saddam's ties to Al-Queda...all proven false...
Saddam and Al Qeada had ties. They weren't jerking off in the hot tub together but they did have ties. There is no proof that the bush team or all the dems who voted to go to war with iraq that they were lieing. All of clinton's people who stated that saddam was the biggest foreign policy problem for bush to deal with weren't lieing. all of the dems who went on record saying that saddam had wmds weren't lieing. The intel said he did have it.

I cannot believe after posting a dailykos poll you can question someone's reporting.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Kill the politicians ability to sell favours and companies would stop being interested in financing them. Quite simple.Sounds simple. How do you do that?

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Those worried about the influence of corporate money in politics and elections should reflect about this text.

There's only one reason why companies are willing to spend millions sponsoring politicians and not somebody like me:

.... because politicians have favours, public favours, to sell. You don't say?

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your perceptive and original post.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
You do us honor by posting your commonplaces here, profe.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Stossel!

lolz

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Without the government to entice them and lead them astray, entrepreneurs would act like normally conscientious people.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Right.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Trump one fairy tale with another.

Winehole23
Works like candy.

Winehole23
People in South Texas got a sweet tooth.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Maybe you should go fish with that stinky fish bait, mogro. No one took it.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I love how it immediately broke down to being an Iraq sidebar b/w SnC and Dan. lol.

TeyshaBlue
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
You've activated the automatic liberal response system. Bushkatrinawmdhaliburtoncheneychimp.:lmao

spursncowboys
02-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I love how it immediately broke down to being an Iraq sidebar b/w SnC and Dan. lol.
It's not between me. I just pointed out his lies and distortions. It's getting more and more silly to bring up bush and iraq for every post.

Winehole23
02-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Sometimes it's just as silly to answer the question as to pose it, JMO.

spursncowboys
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Sometimes it's just as silly to answer the question as to pose it, JMO.
I used to think that.

mogrovejo
02-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Without the government to entice them and lead them astray, entrepreneurs would act like normally conscientious people.

Huh? Not even sure how to comment on that. You clearly missed the entire point - no wonder you're such a fierce opponent of limited and enumerated government. Entrepreneurs act like any other people. This isn't about the honesty or the conscience of entrepreneurs. The idea that political arrangements can't change human nature like that is silly.

Sounds simple. How do you do that?

With difficulty. I don't have a blueprint - more, the idea there's one is bizarre in itself.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 12:30 AM
You said it was simple. Change your story much?

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 01:13 AM
You said it was simple. Change your story much?

Not at all. The solution is simple, executing it is a long and hard path, filled with obstacles, pitfalls, and detours.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Ah, that's different.

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 02:10 AM
No, it's not. In any case, I hope you're now able to understand the error in your reasoning.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm sorry, did you say something?

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 11:29 AM

I have no idea who this Stossel guy is and I don't think it's important. If it makes you more comfortable, you can replace "Obama" with the name of some other president and Serious Materials with some other company. It's irrelevant - big government and crony capitalism aren't a creation of this Administration.

admiralsnackbar
02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Saddam and Al Qeada had ties. They weren't jerking off in the hot tub together but they did have ties. There is no proof that the bush team or all the dems who voted to go to war with iraq that they were lieing. All of clinton's people who stated that saddam was the biggest foreign policy problem for bush to deal with weren't lieing. all of the dems who went on record saying that saddam had wmds weren't lieing. The intel said he did have it.

I cannot believe after posting a dailykos poll you can question someone's reporting.

The infamous Downing St. memo doesn't help your cause much.

http://downingstreetmemo.com/

boutons_deux
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
"There's only one reason why companies are willing to spend millions sponsoring politicians and not somebody like me:

.... because politicians have favours, public favours, to sell."

wrong, there's SECOND reason your simple mind misses

Corporations have $$$ to contribute to politicians' campaigns, either to elect an official who gives the quid for the pro, or to INTIMIDATE a candidate/office-holder who doesn't play along, threaten/extort him with $$$ to his opponent.

The corps select/elect the candidates they want, having told those candidates what they expect in return.

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Corporations have $$$ to contribute to politicians' campaigns, either to elect an official who gives the quid for the pro, or to INTIMIDATE a candidate/office-holder who doesn't play along, threaten/extort him with $$$ to his opponent.

The corps select/elect the candidates they want, having told those candidates what they expect in return.

Yeah, that's exactly my point.

The only reason corporations have interest in interfering with the election of certain candidates is because, as future office-holders, they'd have the power to influence their future.

If they didn't have that power, they simply wouldn't care.

spursncowboys
02-04-2010, 01:44 PM
The infamous Downing St. memo doesn't help your cause much.

http://downingstreetmemo.com/

Is that to show bush lied? Yeah no shit bush was already planning for war. A responsible CIC should be. What about all of CLinton's guys? What about all the intel agencies across the globe? What about all the UN Resolutions? Think how hard it is to get a resolution out of the UN when you aren't Israel. What was it - 12? It's kind of hard to know if Saddam had nukes if he won't let us see.

ChumpDumper
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
So now conservatives are concerned about the ties between business and government?

:lol

Just when I thought you guys couldn't get any more disingenuous.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
mogro pretended to front it. He's a big bullshitter.

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_choice_theory

The modern literature in Public Choice began with Duncan Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Black), who in 1948 identified the underlying concepts of what would become median voter theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_voter_theory). He also wrote The Theory of Committees and Elections in 1958. Gordon Tullock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Tullock)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_choice_theory#cite_note-1) refers to him as the "father of public choice theory".

James M. Buchanan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_M._Buchanan) and Gordon Tullock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Tullock) coauthored The Calculus of Consent: Logical Foundations of Constitutional Democracy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Calculus_of_Consent:_Logical_Foundations_of_Co nstitutional_Democracy) (1962), considered one of the landmark works that founded the discipline of public choice theory. In particular (1962, p. v), the book is about the political organization of a free society. But its method, conceptual apparatus, and analytics "are derived, essentially, from the discipline that has as its subject the economic organization of such a society." The book focuses on positive-economic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_economics) analysis as to the development of constitutional democracy but in an ethical context of consent. The consent takes the form of a compensation principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensation_principle) like Pareto efficiency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_efficiency) for making a policy change and unanimity at least no opposition as a point of departure for social choice.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Rerun.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Instead of blasting a new crater, just use the one you already made.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Instead of quoting yourself at length, again, you could just give us the original link.

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Politicians and their sponsors:
xepCIHZ34gI

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Common Materials, a company with 150 employees, has Obama in their pocket?

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Pardon me, aren't you the guy who said David Axelrod was running the whole show in another thread?

Your bullshit sucks, dude.

mogrovejo
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
A common mistake is the inability to differentiate ordinary corruption from rent-seeking.

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
They got a contract or something?

Just go ahead and say whatever you're trying to say dude. Are you making an actual claim here, or is this just another pedantic set piece?

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Yet more throat clearing?

Winehole23
02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Your management of your own threads sucks. You can't even make a simple point without pointing to more academic bs, profe.

DarrinS
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
But, but, but...

Haliburton no-bid contracts!

Repug Bush lied, people died!

No blood for oil!

WAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/3050354749_8d2ce85f29_o.gif

mogrovejo
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Buchanan (the Nobel Prize, not the former POTUS or the Bircher) wrote that public choice is politics without romance. This is to say that it assumes that the motivations of people in the political arena are no different than those of the people in the church, in the job market, in their family, etc. For example, it assumes that normally politicians make election and re-election (or popularity) their priority.

A corolary of this is that changing the people who are elected have a residual effect - institutional problems require institutional solutions. This is why I said this story could be told with different characters than Obama and the windows company. Some problems and malfunctions are intrinsic to the democratic system and their solution is necessarily out of the democratic game.

mogrovejo
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
James Madison was probably the first Public Choice Theorist. His essays in the Federalist about democratic governance are probably the biggest inspiration for PCT scholars.

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 12:22 AM
This relates to the topic how, or did the river burst its banks again?

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Some problems and malfunctions are intrinsic to the democratic system and their solution is necessarily out of the democratic game.Elaborate?

Forgive us, profe, we're not all on the same page as you yet. That very short sentence, ehem, doesn't carry all the freight you seem to think it does.

Maybe you could lard out your own comments a bit, so we can SEE what you're trying to say, and not be left guessing at it. Again.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2010, 12:59 AM
mogrovejo is like Extra Stout with severe head trauma.

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM
mogrovejo is not much like Extra Stout in any way that I've noticed. He has a certain academic brio, true, but in the manner of delivery there is no contest, and ES is a very kindly man personally. (Or he used to be. It's hard to tell anymore.)

mogro is more like Ignatius Reilly on Ritalin IMO.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2010, 01:08 AM
The words are there, but they rarely make sense.

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:10 AM
http://everseradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/IgnatiusJReilly.JPG

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:11 AM
public choice theory and Hayek!

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:44 AM
praxeology!

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:47 AM
http://pezdeciudad.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/ignatius-reilly1.jpg

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Oh, and there's no double n in *cronies*.

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
For a scholar, you're pretty lax about the rudiments of mastery, profe, like spelling and verb/noun agreement.

You need to work on that a little bit. Some of your posts are laughably sloppy.

Winehole23
02-05-2010, 02:10 AM
The words are there, but they rarely make sense.I love the way he continually alludes to his own knowledge without really revealing it.

It's pretty rare that we get posters so conceited they can't be troubled to post the information that would back them up, but are content instead to wave at it from a distance.