PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Blair, Hill spark Spurs past Kings

duncan228
02-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Headline changed. Updated article in post #5.

Blair, Hill spark Spurs past Kings (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_start_strong_on_rodeo_trip.html)

Spurs start strong on rodeo trip (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_start_strong_on_rodeo_trip.html)
Jeff McDonald

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — On Tuesday afternoon, DeJuan Blair boarded the Spurs' charter flight bound for Sacramento and the start of the longest basketball road trip of his life.

Eight games, seven cities, 19 days away from home.

The Spurs rookie certainly never experienced anything like it while in college at Pittsburgh, even in the NCAA tournament.

“A tournament, you play two games, you wait a week, you play two games,” Blair said. “You're only with each other for about four days at a time. This trip is going to be pretty fun. It's going to be long.”

Apparently, none of the Spurs' more experienced rodeo trippers told Blair about the need to pace himself.

Blair opened his first rodeo road trip by scoring 20 points on 9-of-11 shooting to help lift the Spurs to a 115-113 victory at Arco Arena over the struggling Kings that was absolutely mandatory.

Tim Duncan had 22 points and 13 rebounds for the Spurs, while Manu Ginobili matched Blair with 20 points off the bench. George Hill, in what might be his final start for the injured Tony Parker at point guard, scored a season-high 23 points to go with nine assists.

Tyreke Evans had 32 points for the Kings, who began February the same way they finished January, a month in which they went 3-12.

Had Evans had 10 more seconds or so, he might have Tracy McGrady-ed the Spurs. He scored 17 in the fourth quarter, forcing the Spurs to continue to make free throws to seal the game.

The Spurs got their own rookie lift from Blair, who produced his second 20-point outing of the season. The other came in a 28-point, 21-rebound opus last month at Oklahoma City.

Before the game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called a rare morning shootaround — the team's first since the regular season began — ostensibly for an Xs and Os refresher course.

The topic of defense did come up during the session, though you might not have known it once the game tipped off.

The Spurs led 61-60 at the half, with the teams combining to put on a fairly impressive clinic in how not to play defense.

The Kings shot 56.1 percent. The Spurs shot 52.2. The two teams went back and forth, matching shot after shot, most of them coming in the paint, and with little resistance from the opposing defense.

Going into the game, the Kings had topped 100 points in just two of the previous 11 games. They were halfway there Wednesday with still 41/2 minutes left in the second quarter.

The Spurs, at least, kept up with the Kings shot for shot and defensive lapse for defensive lapse. They ended with a season-high 60 points in the paint, though they gave up 52.

Blair had 16 points at the half, the primary beneficiary of five Ginobili assists.

Late in the second quarter, Ginobili — apparently tired of watching Blair have all the fun around the basket — drove and finished a dunk over Spencer Hawes, Sacramento's 7-foot center. Ginobili was fouled and completed the three-point play.

Sacramento answered every big play the Spurs made on offense with one of its own.

After such a high-scoring first half, the teams might as well have played the second half with a red-white-and-blue ball and called it the ABA. It was more of the same after intermission.

Richard Jefferson drives baseline for a thundering dunk? Evans follows on the other end, jamming home a Kevin Martin miss.

Ginobili drives for a with-English layup? Evans answers with a bull-in-a-china closet drive of his own.

Unlike previous losses this season, when the Spurs absolutely needed to get stops, they did.

From the 10:44 mark to the 1:45 mark of the fourth quarter, the Kings managed just one field goal. That spate of defensive competence helped the Spurs open up a 100-89 lead, putting just enough distance between themselves and Sacramento to win a must-win game.

timtonymanu
02-04-2010, 01:25 AM
it was an ugly game but im glad the spurs pulled through. hopefully the spurs play better tomorrow against portland. i dont wanna get swept by those guys.

itzsoweezee
02-04-2010, 01:26 AM
manu looked spry tonight. hopefully he has enough left to bring it again tomorrow.

z0sa
02-04-2010, 01:29 AM
That dunk by Ginobili was vintage Manu at his finest. He had a few of those moves tonight; when he plays like that, we're unstoppable. Props to Hill as well.

Now if the defense will just shape up.

duncan228
02-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Updated.

Blair, Hill spark Spurs past Kings (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_start_strong_on_rodeo_trip.html)
Jeff McDonald

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – From his perch on the sidelines at Arco Arena on Wednesday night, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich saw many things he did not like. The Sacramento Kings’ Tyreke Evans-led layup parade would be one of them.

Popovich also saw at least two things he did like. Their names are George Hill and DeJuan Blair.

Led by near career games from two of their youngest two players, the Spurs held on to beat Sacramento 117-115 on Wednesday night, opening their rodeo road trip with a victory that was mandatory.

Hill, a second-year guard starting at point in place of the injured Tony Parker, matched a career high with 23 points and set one with nine assists. Blair, a 6-foot-7 rookie from Pittsburgh, added 20 points off the bench and the Spurs made just enough stops in the fourth quarter to stave off the Kings’ bid at an upset.

“We haven’t been as good a team as we’ve been in the past, to date,” Popovich said. “We’ve had a real tough time bringing everything together and being consistent. Seeing guys like George Hill and DeJuan Blair playing the way they are is really encouraging.”

The victory was an important one for the Spurs, who will face far tougher challenges on this eight-game trip than a 16-32 Kings team that had just polished off a 3-12 January. The trek continues tonight in Portland, against the Trail Blazers team that has twice beaten the Spurs (28-19) this season.

On Wednesday, Hill, selected 26th overall out of IUPUI in 2008 and Blair, the 36th overall selection in 2009, helped the Spurs outlast a late flurry by the Kings’ prized youngster.

Evans, the fourth pick in Blair’s draft, scored 32 points, including 17 in the fourth quarter.

Had Evans had another 10 seconds or so, he might have McGrady-ed the Spurs. His otherwise meaningless 3-pointer at the horn banked and rattled in.

Tim Duncan had 22 points and 13 rebounds for the Spurs, while Manu Ginobili matched Blair with 20 points off the bench.

The Spurs needed every bit of that scoring to overcome the suddenly high-octane Kings, who hit 100 points for just the third time in the past 12 games.

Before the game, Popovich called a rare morning shootaround – the team’s first since the regular season began – ostensibly for an Xs and Os refresher course. The topic of defense did come up during the session, though you might not have known it once the game tipped off.

The two teams played to a 60-all tie at half, combining to put on a fairly impressive clinic in how not to play defense.

The Kings shot 52.1 percent for the game. The Spurs shot 52.4. The Spurs ended with a season-high 60 points in the paint. The Kings got 52.

Unlike other losses of late, when the Spurs absolutely needed to get stops, they did.

From the 10:44 mark to the 1:45 mark of the fourth quarter, the Kings managed just one field goal. That spate of defensive competence helped the Spurs open up a 100-89 lead, creating one basket too much cushion for Evans to overcome.

“We played pretty good defense for about four or five minutes and we got the lead,” Popovich said. “Other than that, we stunk.”

The Spurs’ two most recent top draft picks helped them neutralize the stench.

Blair fought and clawed and hustled his way to his second 20-point outing of the season, cleaning up around the rim and finishing pick-and-roll passes from Ginobili. It was Blair’s best game since his 28-point, 21-rebound opus at Oklahoma City last month.

“That was just me playing hard,” Blair said. “Hard playing pays off.”

Hill, meanwhile, was solid in what could be his final game starting for Parker. His All-NBA mentor is expected back tonight, which means Hill returns to shooting guard.

The position doesn’t matter as much to him as the opportunity.

“I’m ready to play the 2, 3, 4, 5,” Hill said. “Where ever Coach Pop puts me to try and win basketball games, that’s where I’m going to go.”

This much appears certain. No matter what happens with Popovich’s rotation from here on out, his two most recent draft picks are bound to be in it.

SenorSpur
02-04-2010, 02:28 AM
The energy provided by Hill, Blair and Manu is immeasurable.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Updated.

Jeff McDonald

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – From his perch on the sidelines at Arco Arena on Wednesday night, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich saw many things he did not like. The Sacramento Kings’ Tyreke Evans-led layup parade would be one of them.

Popovich also saw at least two things he did like. Their names are George Hill and DeJuan Blair.

Led by near career games from two of their youngest two players, the Spurs held on to beat Sacramento 117-115 on Wednesday night, opening their rodeo road trip with a victory that was mandatory.

Hill, a second-year guard starting at point in place of the injured Tony Parker, matched a career high with 23 points and set one with nine assists. Blair, a 6-foot-7 rookie from Pittsburgh, added 20 points off the bench and the Spurs made just enough stops in the fourth quarter to stave off the Kings’ bid at an upset.

“We haven’t been as good a team as we’ve been in the past, to date,” Popovich said. “We’ve had a real tough time bringing everything together and being consistent. Seeing guys like George Hill and DeJuan Blair playing the way they are is really encouraging.”

The victory was an important one for the Spurs, who will face far tougher challenges on this eight-game trip than a 16-32 Kings team that had just polished off a 3-12 January. The trek continues tonight in Portland, against the Trail Blazers team that has twice beaten the Spurs (28-19) this season.

On Wednesday, Hill, selected 26th overall out of IUPUI in 2008 and Blair, the 36th overall selection in 2009, helped the Spurs outlast a late flurry by the Kings’ prized youngster.

Evans, the fourth pick in Blair’s draft, scored 32 points, including 17 in the fourth quarter.

Had Evans had another 10 seconds or so, he might have McGrady-ed the Spurs. His otherwise meaningless 3-pointer at the horn banked and rattled in.

Tim Duncan had 22 points and 13 rebounds for the Spurs, while Manu Ginobili matched Blair with 20 points off the bench.

The Spurs needed every bit of that scoring to overcome the suddenly high-octane Kings, who hit 100 points for just the third time in the past 12 games.

Before the game, Popovich called a rare morning shootaround – the team’s first since the regular season began – ostensibly for an Xs and Os refresher course. The topic of defense did come up during the session, though you might not have known it once the game tipped off.

The two teams played to a 60-all tie at half, combining to put on a fairly impressive clinic in how not to play defense.

The Kings shot 52.1 percent for the game. The Spurs shot 52.4. The Spurs ended with a season-high 60 points in the paint. The Kings got 52.

Unlike other losses of late, when the Spurs absolutely needed to get stops, they did.

From the 10:44 mark to the 1:45 mark of the fourth quarter, the Kings managed just one field goal. That spate of defensive competence helped the Spurs open up a 100-89 lead, creating one basket too much cushion for Evans to overcome.

“We played pretty good defense for about four or five minutes and we got the lead,” Popovich said. “Other than that, we stunk.”

The Spurs’ two most recent top draft picks helped them neutralize the stench.

Blair fought and clawed and hustled his way to his second 20-point outing of the season, cleaning up around the rim and finishing pick-and-roll passes from Ginobili. It was Blair’s best game since his 28-point, 21-rebound opus at Oklahoma City last month.

“That was just me playing hard,” Blair said. “Hard playing pays off.”

Hill, meanwhile, was solid in what could be his final game starting for Parker. His All-NBA mentor is expected back tonight, which means Hill returns to shooting guard.

The position doesn’t matter as much to him as the opportunity.

“I’m ready to play the 2, 3, 4, 5,” Hill said. “Where ever Coach Pop puts me to try and win basketball games, that’s where I’m going to go.”

This much appears certain. No matter what happens with Popovich’s rotation from here on out, his two most recent draft picks are bound to be in it.
Wow! Did we score after the final buzzer? It should be 115-113, not 117-115, LOL!

Snaq O'Meal
02-04-2010, 06:52 AM

I hope he's not giving Pop additional ideas for more midget ball.

TheChillFactor
02-04-2010, 08:32 AM

No wonder he's Pop's favorite...

Manudona
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM

No wonder he's Pop's favorite...

And what about playing the 1???

ElNono
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Interesting tidbit: Blair and Hill are the only two Spurs that played in every game this season...

EmmanuelTimothyDavid
02-04-2010, 10:23 AM
That just shows we have a bright future after Timmy.....

Great job GHill and DJ BLAIR...... Both of them should be an all star this year...

It's just sad GHill was not pick to represent the sophomore team....

They are really a good contributor to this team.... And so glad the Spurs pick them up....

SenorSpur
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Interesting tidbit: Blair and Hill are the only two Spurs that played in every game this season...

Ah, what a shock. Young players are usually not as injury-prone as older players. Amazing how that works.

I just wish Pop would look at what's happening with the Celtics injury situation. If he did perhaps he would finally get the hint that the NBA landscape has dramatically shifted. His philosophy of stockpiling old players on top of older players is both a risky and short-sighted one.

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
“I’m ready to play the 2, 3, 4, 5,” Hill said. "That's why pop loves me, even i can't really defend the 3,4 or the 5"

Supergirl
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
"George Hill, in what might be his final start for the injured Tony Parker at point guard"

They better be implying that Parker is on his way back to playing and not that Hill is on his way to being trading.

If the Spurs trade anyone of the big 3, Hill, or Blair, I will be pissed. Everyone else is on the block for the right player, as far as I am concerned.

jb4g
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
"George Hill, in what might be his final start for the injured Tony Parker at point guard"

They better be implying that Parker is on his way back to playing and not that Hill is on his way to being trading.

If the Spurs trade anyone of the big 3, Hill, or Blair, I will be pissed. Everyone else is on the block for the right player, as far as I am concerned.

relax, its in reference to Parker returning to the lineup tonight.

I was fairly happy with the Spurs D in the 4th quarter last night, I think the lead was 13 after the Bogan's 3. Credit to Evans for understanding he was going to get easy drives to the basket in the last 2 minutes, last thing the Spurs want to do is foul. I was also impressed at Evan's ability to draw contact and get to the stripe all night...hes gonna be a stud. Thankfully we won, and the last 2 minutes of this game will prove to be a valuable lesson to the spurs moving forward.

duncan228
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM

It's Parker coming back.

Spurs' Parker likely to play tonight

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145856

Spur|n|Austin
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Wow that is interesting, thanks.