PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Kings - Feb. 3

timvp
02-04-2010, 07:07 AM
In the first game of the Rodeo Road Trip, the San Antonio Spurs took care of business by disposing of the Sacramento Kings. The Spurs scored 27 or more points in each quarter on their way to a 115-113 victory.

In a game that featured a lot of scoring, the Spurs were able to gain the necessary separation by clamping down on defense for a stretch of four minutes in the beginning of the fourth quarter. During that time, the Kings went scoreless and the Spurs were able to gain an 11-point advantage. As it turned out, the Spurs needed each of their baskets on the night due to the Kings amazingly scoring 19 points in the final 1:39 of the contest.

I like the direction the Kings are headed. They have a number of quality young pieces led by rookies Tyreke Evans and Omri Casspi. Although, I'm not convinced Evans and Kevin Martin can co-exist. Evans can play the point a bit but he's much more of a shooting guard. His combination of speed, size and power reminds me of a smaller LeBron James. Trading away Martin will likely be necessary to allow Evans to reach his potential.

Overall, San Antonio did well starting out their journey with a win. It wasn't too pretty but getting a road win without Tony Parker against an athletic team is always good thing.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
28:52 minutes, 22 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists
8-for-14 from the field, 6-for-7 at the line

In the past handful of games, I was worried about Tim Duncan's health. I am happy to report that Duncan looked a lot better against the Kings. He was moving well and the quickness that had disappeared the last few games was back. With Duncan more mobile, he was able to have a great game. In limited minutes, he dominated the Kings around the rim on both ends. Defensively, he protected the rim well and rebounded with authority. On offense, Duncan was 6-for-6 on shots at the rim. If his jumper was falling, he would have had an even better outing. As it was, Duncan shook off his slump and returned to his standard dominant self.

-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
29:18 minutes, 20 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 4 turnovers
7-for-12 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers, 5-for-7 at the line

Manu Ginobili was also able to end his slump. For the first time since Jan. 20, Ginobili shot better than 40% from the field. He did it by getting to the basket -- finishing 5-for-5 at the rim, including an impressive dunk. Ginobili also extended his good play into the fourth quarter, which is something we haven't seem much in recent weeks. As usual, his energy and passing were both excellent. If Ginobili can find a scoring rhythm to go along with his current playmaking mastery, his superstar days may once again rise.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg
37:34 minutes, 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2 turnovers
5-for-14 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

Richard Jefferson was 1-for-7 in the first half on the offensive end and was arguably even worse on defense. To his credit, Jefferson bounced back and had a quality second half. His defense vastly improved, while his aggression and confidence on the other end was also at a much higher level. Jefferson still has a huge amount of room for improvement but at least he's starting to show at least some sort of mental toughness.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
41:35 minutes, 23 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 3 turnovers
7-for-16 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 9-for-9 at the line

George Hill had one of the better games of his career on Wednesday. He tied his career-high with 23 points and set a new career-high with nine assists. I loved his attacking mindset on the offensive end. He did a good job of making decisive decisions -- whether it was taking the open shot or hitting the open man. Scoring-wise, most of his production was away from the basket as he was just 1-for-4 when below the charity stripe. I thought Hill's defense was only about average. That said, his offensive output alone made this a very positive outing for Hill.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
20:07 minutes, 6 points, 4 rebounds
3-for-6 from the field

Antonio McDyess saw his streak of four straight games with double-figures come to an end but he still played well. Even though he was forced to defend faster and more athletic players all night, he was able to keep up on that end. He was quiet offensively until he hit a pair of key shots in the fourth quarter. All in all, McDyess just looks a lot better in the last ten days or so. Let's hope his awkward and slow days are in the past.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg
30:31 minutes, 12 points, 3 assists
5-for-7 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers

Starting at shooting guard, Keith Bogans had a quality game for the first time in about a month. On offense, he kept it simple and didn't try to do too much. Recently he's been plagued by either poor shooting or turnovers -- and that wasn't the case against the Kings. On defense, he wasn't great but he played a key role in slowing Martin.

DeJuan Blair
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4642.jpg
23:42 minutes, 20 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
9-for-11 from the field, 2-for-3 at the line

Though Pop has recently begun to use DeJuan Blair as the team's fourth bigmen, games like this make that strategy look questionable. Once Blair got onto the court, he simply dominated the action. He hit his first nine shots from the field and the Kings were powerless to slow him down. Offensively, he's really starting to play more under control and is learning how to finish at the rim against NBA caliber athletes. I was also impressed with his defense on Wednesday night. His lack of size hurts him in some situations but he's getting better and better at knowing where he needs to be in the defensive schemes.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
10:41 minutes, 3 rebounds
0-for-1 from the field

Though Michael Finley is still obviously working his way into basketball shape, he has impressed me with his defense since his return. He's moving his feet well, fighting for position and getting a hand up against shooters. The layoff due to his ankle injury seems to have resulted in fresh legs and he's using those legs on the defensive end. On offense, his only shot in Sacramento was a desperation shot at the end of the first half.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
10:40 minutes
0-for-1 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

Roger Mason, Jr. had a horrible outing. He played poor defense, his ballhandling was shaky and his passing was lazy. With trade rumors swirling, Mason certainly didn't do anything to help his stock within this team. The Spurs could really use his outside shooting but unless he plays with more consistency, he's likely to either be traded or lost in the depths of the bench.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
6:59 minutes
0-for-2 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner played six and a half quiet first half minutes. A combination of Blair playing very well and Bonner continuing his outside shooting struggles resulted in a short night. Pop is being patient with him but if Bonner doesn't start hitting soon, he may stop seeing courtesy minutes.

Gregg Popovich
http://dailyelements.com/pop-stoic.jpg

Pop did a very good job of limiting Duncan's minutes, which likely raises the chances of Duncan playing in Portland on the back-to-back. Ginobili also got plenty of rest so hopefully he's ready to go on Thursday. Riding the hot hands in Hill and Blair was a good move. On the other hand, Pop playing small ball was very iffy, especially since the regular lineups were able to successfully matchup against the Kings.

Offense

Shooting only 4-for-13 on three-pointers, the Spurs had to find other ways to score -- and thankfully they did. They shot 56.3% on two-pointers and scored 60 points in the paint. The Spurs also got to the line 28 times and pulled down 11 offensive rebounds. The assists (22) and turnovers (15) were at acceptable numbers.

Defense

Outside of that four minute stretch in the fourth quarter, the defense was bad. Allowing 19 points in the final 1:39 put an exclamation point at the end of this poor defensive affair. For the game, the Kings shot 52.3% from the floor and 40.9% (9-for-22) on three-pointers. Thankfully the Spurs limited the free throw attempts (19) and had an edge on the boards (38-34). Otherwise, it could have gotten even uglier.

Drive to Five

The Trail Blazers on Thursday will definitely be a test. A second win to begin the Rodeo Road Trip would really provide some much needed momentum. Let's hope the Spurs get it.

Believe.

Pero
02-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
6:59 minutes
0-for-2 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner played ten first half minutes. A combination of Blair playing very well and Bonner continuing his outside shooting struggles resulted in a short night. Pop is being patient with him but if Bonner doesn't start hitting soon, he may stop seeing courtesy minutes.

Hmmm. :p:
Good article otherwise, thanks.

timvp
02-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Hmmm. :p:
Good article otherwise, thanks.

Fixed. Thanks.

Brazil
02-04-2010, 08:20 AM
didn't see the game too late for me, Defense must have been horrible. Happy to see GHill good performance with a career high assists !

DieMrBond
02-04-2010, 08:30 AM
As it turned out, the Spurs needed each of their baskets on the night due to the Kings amazingly scoring 19 points in the final 1:39 of the contest.

That is simply crazy... i was looking at the play-by-play and it seems like they didn't miss a shot...

0:00 SA - Period Over SA 115-113
0:00 Sac T Evans 3 Point Field Goal SA 115-113
0:04 SA G Hill 1 Point Free Throw SA 115-110
0:04 SA G Hill 1 Point Free Throw SA 114-110
0:04 Sac T Evans Foul SA 113-110
0:04 SA - Time Out SA 113-110
0:04 Sac A Nocioni 3 Point Field Goal SA 113-110
0:07 Sac - Time Out SA 113-107
0:07 SA G Hill 1 Point Free Throw SA 113-107
0:07 SA G Hill 1 Point Free Throw SA 112-107
0:07 Sac A Nocioni Foul SA 111-107
0:07 Sac T Evans 3 Point Field Goal SA 111-107
0:15 SA M Ginobili 1 Point Free Throw SA 111-104
0:15 SA M Ginobili 1 Point Free Throw SA 110-104
0:15 Sac A Nocioni Foul SA 109-104
0:19 Sac T Evans 2 Point Field Goal SA 109-104
0:27 SA M Ginobili 1 Point Free Throw SA 109-102
0:27 SA - Offensive Rebound SA 108-102
0:27 SA M Ginobili Missed Free Throw SA 108-102
0:27 Sac D Greene Foul SA 108-102
0:29 Sac T Evans 2 Point Field Goal SA 108-102
0:37 SA T Duncan 1 Point Free Throw SA 108-100
0:37 SA - Offensive Rebound SA 107-100
0:37 SA T Duncan Missed Free Throw SA 107-100
0:37 Sac T Evans Foul SA 107-100
0:47 SA - Time Out SA 107-100
0:47 Sac D Greene 2 Point Field Goal SA 107-100
0:51 SA R Mason Tyreke Evans steals the ball from Roger Mason. SA 107-98
1:07 Sac S Hawes 2 Point Field Goal SA 107-98
1:19 SA M Ginobili Manu Ginobili with a traveling turnover: Traveling SA 107-96
1:39 Sac T Evans 2 Point Field Goal SA 107-96

Yup, they didn't even miss... :wtf

Muser
02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Although, I'm not convinced Evans and Kevin Martin can co-exist. Evans can play the point a bit but he's much more of a shooting guard.

The irony is the game would of gone to OT if Martin could hit a wide open layup that Evans set up for him :lol

ElNono
02-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks, great writeup as usual :tu

superjames1992
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Does anyone have a GIF/Youtube video of Manu's dunk?

wildbill2u
02-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Pop looked somewhat flabbergasted and pissed as he left the court after another looooong 3 bounced high and went in at the end. Giving up all those points in the last minute and half must have really bent him out of shape.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I think Manu had a block on Evans. Can anyone post a GIF? Thanks

pookenstein
02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
The irony is the game would of gone to OT if Martin could hit a wide open layup that Evans set up for him :lol

No, I think the defense on Evans on that last attempt would have been a lot tougher. And he just got lucky the ball bounced in without anybody challenging the shot.

Reading the play by play immediately that T-Mac sequence he had against us some years ago came to my mind. But wasn't that in like 40s?

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Blair is beasting, even in the past few games. I don't understand why pop would still insert Bonner first before Blair. I'm not a Bonner hater, imo, he is still valuable to the spurs, but Blair is da beast. Hope pop would play him more, he's up to the challenge. Thanks timvp for the recap!

benefactor
02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
That final sequence was just bananas. Tyreke Evans almost went Tracy McGrady on them.

Up to the point where Evans exploded the Spurs only allowed 13 points in the quarter. I think that it is unrealistic to think that the Spurs will find a way to become a 48 minutes defensive team, so if you take away the last minute and a half of the game I think you have something that resembles a template for this team to be successful. They are a better scoring team than any team that has played in the Duncan era...so even if they allow more points than any of us are accustomed to seeing they can still stay in games. If they cannot achieve full game defensive focus(IMO they can't) then at the very least they need to pull out some vintage late game lock downs like they did last night.

sandman
02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Rarely get to see the games televised here in Houston, so thanks for the Game Thoughts. I am usually left to pour over the box score and say things like, "That damn RJ plays 38 minutes and can only score 12 points on 14 shots??" Glad to know he had at least one decent half.

EmmanuelTimothyDavid
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Poor defense on the Fourth ..... We are just Lucky to have a good lead and the time ran out.....

Just wondering why would Pop keep using Bogans a lot in the SG position wherein he can use Hairston and Mason. I do not hate Bogans. But he is just terrible in certain situations in today's game

BTW .... Good start for the Rodeo Trip .....

FlAVaK
02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have a GIF/Youtube video of Manu's dunk?

5CnbFH8VSMM&feature=related

FlAVaK
02-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Manu`s dunk at 0:55
irIl4tJLuLE

Spursmania
02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
irIl4tJLuLE

Spurminator
02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Clutch free throws at the end by Hill.

loveforthegame
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
It's nice to see Finley working hard on the defensive end. If he can give that kind of effort in limited minutes then I don't think people will have a problem with him.

duncan228
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
...Duncan shook off his slump and returned to his standard dominant self.

It was good to see. Worry is built-in with his knees, when he's off his game it can be a little nerve-racking. Glad it was just a slump.

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8)

rack him!

xellos88330
02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Spurs looked decent out there. Sacramento was hitting some ridiculous shots. Pop going small kept the Kings within reach. Overall, it was a good outing IMO.

xamila rey
02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Thank you!!!

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
We had a run going and a 9 point lead IIRC until small ball took over and killed momentum..we ended up +1 at the end of the half when it should have been much more..

Sacramento also made A LOT of unlikely shots..

Evans was making numerous long Js, which isn't likely according to the %s..

Ime made a fucking contested 3 off a pivot move AND an and-1 in the lane..

Hawes made a fadeaway bank shot that he probably makes once every 20 games..

Greene was making his J, including an awkward fadeaway off the dribble that the Kings announcers laughed at..

Rodriguez made 2 great shots that he shouldn't be making..

bless1187
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
the one thing i been liking about RJ recently is that he's being more aggressive on offense. i do see improvement on his defense "i really don't know why poster's on here thinks RJ's defense is absolute trash, he' s no Bruce Bowen, but still he's a decent defender." i hope he continues his aggression on offense even when TP returns

NFGIII
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Defense

Outside of that four minute stretch in the fourth quarter, the defense was bad. Allowing 19 points in the final 1:39 put an exclamation point at the end of this poor defensive affair. For the game, the Kings shot 52.3% from the floor and 40.9% (9-for-22) on three-pointers. Thankfully the Spurs limited the free throw attempts (19) and had an edge on the boards (38-34). Otherwise, it could have gotten even uglier.

As I watched this game I was perplexed at the number of times that Spurs defenders went for the first ball fake. Time and time again they fouled the Kings when all they had to do was hold their position. they bailed out the Kings numerous times IMO. I really haven't seen this on a regular basis so hopefully this was just an abberation. Over the Duncan era I have rarely if ever seen such D. I know we aren't the defensive team as in the past but that is pretty bad.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Pop looked somewhat flabbergasted and pissed as he left the court after another looooong 3 bounced high and went in at the end. Giving up all those points in the last minute and half must have really bent him out of shape.

Hopefully it bent him out of shape enough not to get cute with his lineups. Time will tell.

ShoogarBear
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
That final sequence was just bananas. Tyreke Evans almost went Tracy McGrady on them.

That's exactly what I said in chat.

I disagree that Evans is more of a 2 than a point. True, he's a Stephon Marbury-type talent, but with good coaching should have a more positive team impact and not just be a stat-padder.

Also don't see why he and Kevin Martin can't co-exist, but it does appear that Martin is on the way out.

02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
at least the spurs clamped down on defense during the fourth quarter. even for a small period of time, it was refreshing to see fourth quarter defense again.

EricB
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
The defense in the secod half was decent not great. Not as bad as Richard Oliver made it sound last night and this morning.

TD 21
02-04-2010, 04:50 PM
the Kings amazingly scoring 19 points in the final 1:39 of the contest.

Overall, San Antonio did well starting out their journey with a win. It wasn't too pretty but getting a road win without Tony Parker against an athletic team is always good thing.

Let me ask you something. When you do these write-ups now, do you do them looking at this as a run-of-the-mill playoff team or a contender? If it's the latter, then you can't seriously say the Spurs "did well". Not when they barely hung on to beat one of the dregs of the league (who happen to be struggling mightily right now, by the way), not when they gave up an astounding 19 points in the final 1:39, or allowed the Kings to shoot between 50-55% the entire game and not when they gave up 113 to a team that has labored to break 100 in the past month.

If not now, then when do aesthetics matter? This should have been a convincing win for a supposed contender coming off a disappointing loss (and home stand in general), eager to turn their season around during a time when they traditionally have done just that and instead they eke out a win against a bottom feeder and do so by playing soft, uninspiring defense (a layup drill was being run). There is no silver lining, nothing to build on off of this win. If the Spurs repeat last night's performance tonight, they will lose and unlike last night, it won't take until the end for the result to be decided.

superjames1992
02-04-2010, 05:31 PM
irIl4tJLuLE
Thank you! :)