PDA

View Full Version : Manu-ficent

duncan228
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Manu-ficent (http://www.dailydemocrat.com/sports/ci_14331840) -- It's rare that opposing players sign autographs and mingle with the early arriving fans at Arco Arena. But when they do, the scene can sometimes get chaotic as it did Wednesday when Spurs guard Manu Ginobli ambled over to a sideline and began signing hats, shirts, programs and any other object that would hold ink.

Ginobli may not be as huge an NBA star as Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, but you couldn't tell by the adoration shown and the amount people pushing for a chance to meet the Argentinean. After the opening tip, the group took up most of section 213 and broke out in soccer-stadium style cheers whenever Ginobli did something good, which was often. He came off the bench to score 20 points and handed out six assists

There were several baby blue and white striped shirts in the crowd, the colors of the Argentine flag, which speaks as much about the NBA's global popularity as it does Ginobli's fame.

"Ah man, those guys are a blast," Ginobli said. "They're a bunch of ski instructors working in Lake Tahoe and they come down here to Sacramento at least once in the winter to support me. I'm very thankful for that."

- Mark Billingsley

LOL@MavsFan
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Nice all-around game Manu...keep it up

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Great post, nice read! Thanks duncan228.

JR3
02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Ginobili is the man! In my top favorite spurs of all time!

urunobili
02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
lol 20 of us took over one section of the AA center in DFW in same fashion in November 2004 for a Spurs game...

Manu was quiet but TP and TD shit on the Mavs arena for a Spurs win...

Manu is the only player that gets the american arena's experience those kind of chants :stirpot:

jb4g
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought there was a lot of Argys in the crowd last night, after Manu's nasty dunk you could hear them with the soccer style chants. Keep it up Manu!

ffadicted
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
GINOBILI!!!!! :)
Soccer chants for gino at an opposing arena = ultimate win

Obstructed_View
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
lol 20 of us took over one section of the AA center in DFW in same fashion in November 2004 for a Spurs game...

Manu was quiet but TP and TD shit on the Mavs arena for a Spurs win...

Manu is the only player that gets the american arena's experience those kind of chants :stirpot:

You guys ever do that again I'll join ya.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I love the soccer chants, best crowds in sports IMO..I loved that Bogut gave tickets away to people that would come cheer at Bucks games like that..it makes the game more entertaining IMO..

ElNono
02-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Excerpt from this (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2003/09/02/oth_384175.shtml) 2003 article:

It was McGrady's first international tournament, and he was mesmerized by the nationalism.

Before the anthem gaffe, McGrady and several other American players watched in wonder as Argentina's flag-waving, shirtless fans sang a version of the international "Ole" chant with a defiant chorus of "I am Argentinian. It's a feeling, and I can't stop."

Many of the Americans turned their heads and stared at boisterous, frenzied fans who occupied one section of end zone seats. The chanting and dancing never stopped during the fourth quarter, continuing through the medal ceremony.

"I loved that," McGrady said. "No matter how bad they were getting beat they still were supportive of their team. They take a lot of pride in their country and what those guys out there are doing."

Allanon
02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I have to admit, alot of the South American and European fans make US fans look like bandwagoners.

Xylus
02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I have to admit, alot of the South American and European fans make US fans look like bandwagoners.

Yeah, because they're all batshit crazy, and occasionally violent. :lol

Also, "Manu-ficent" is possibly the worst play on words I've ever heard.

ffadicted
02-04-2010, 06:30 PM

Guilty :)

temujin
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Should have seen the Partizan fans last night against Barcelona, guys.

Pionir is The Place.

phxspurfan
02-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Guilty :)

Nice. I gotta catch a world cup game sometime.

iminol
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
I love the soccer chants, best crowds in sports IMO.

Man. Who cares about soccer aka football chants. Let's just check how they do it in Greece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beDg2Iy_mSQ

Allanon
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Occasionally? :lol

Chieflion
02-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Occasionally? :lol
People do die in World Cup Soccer matches. :lol
So it is really an occasional situation.

duncan228
02-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Twitter

Manu Ginobili: I just tricked @George_Hill3 into eating a snail. His face was funny when I told him what it really was…

polandprzem
02-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Twitter

Manu Ginobili: I just tricked @George_Hill3 into eating a snail. His face was funny when I told him what it really was…

Jeez me and manu would disturb all team [if I was a spurs player]

:D