PDA

View Full Version : Artis Gilmore article

SpurNation
02-04-2010, 04:24 PM
For all you long time Spur fans and nestalgia buffs.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/02/03/qanda.gilmore/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Gilmore holds the NCAA career mark for rebounds (22.7 a game). He was the ABA's Rookie of the Year and MVP in 1971-72, a five-time All-Star selection and the pivot man on the Kentucky Colonels 1975 championship squad. When the ABA got absorbed into the NBA, Gilmore was the coveted No. 1 pick in the dispersal draft. Over his 12 NBA seasons -- six with Chicago, five in San Antonio and one split as a teammate of Michael Jordan with the Bulls and Larry Bird with the Celtics -- he set the league record for highest lifetime shooting percentage (59.9). He made six playoff appearances and six All-Star teams, then wrapped up in 1988-89 with Bologna Arimo in the Euroleague, averaging 12.4 points and 11.1 rebounds at age 39.

SenorSpur
02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
...and why this man isn't in the Basketball Hall of Fame is a mystery to me. Goddamn sham of an oversight.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I think the worst thing Gilmore did (from a HOF perspective) was play in the ABA. His rookie numbers were off the charts, and I'd bet he'd of put up similar numbers in the NBA. The knock on Artis' ABA stats is that he didn't have that much competition in that guard-heavy league, but I don't think there were many players in the NBA that could have competed with the A-Train in those early years. I think ABA stats need to be officially combined with NBA stats in the official record books.

SpurNation
02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I think the worst thing Gilmore did (from a HOF perspective) was play in the ABA. His rookie numbers were off the charts, and I'd bet he'd of put up similar numbers in the NBA. The knock on Artis' ABA stats is that he didn't have that much competition in that guard-heavy league, but I don't think there were many players in the NBA that could have competed with the A-Train in those early years. I think ABA stats need to be officially combined with NBA stats in the official record books.

An ongoing debate. I agree with you 100%

raspsa
02-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Didn't Maurice Lucas floor him with a single punch?

The Truth #6
02-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Artis, Ice, and Mitchell: the original Big 3. Ha.

Galileo
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
For all you long time Spur fans and nestalgia buffs.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/02/03/qanda.gilmore/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Gilmore holds the NCAA career mark for rebounds (22.7 a game). He was the ABA's Rookie of the Year and MVP in 1971-72, a five-time All-Star selection and the pivot man on the Kentucky Colonels 1975 championship squad. When the ABA got absorbed into the NBA, Gilmore was the coveted No. 1 pick in the dispersal draft. Over his 12 NBA seasons -- six with Chicago, five in San Antonio and one split as a teammate of Michael Jordan with the Bulls and Larry Bird with the Celtics -- he set the league record for highest lifetime shooting percentage (59.9). He made six playoff appearances and six All-Star teams, then wrapped up in 1988-89 with Bologna Arimo in the Euroleague, averaging 12.4 points and 11.1 rebounds at age 39.

Other Gilmore feats:

* Led small school Jacksonville to the NCAA Finals.

* Two-time NCAA all-American (one 1st & one 2nd)

* 16,330 career rebounds (5th all-time)

* Led ABA in FG% twice and led NBA four times.

SenorSpur
02-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Agree with you on the combining of stats. However, none of that ABA prejudice shit should matter. Why? Because the Hall recognizes ALL contributions to the game of basketball - college and pro (both leagues). Remember, it's not called the NBA Hall of Fame, it's the Basketball Hall of Fame.

pjjrfan
02-05-2010, 01:35 AM
...and why this man isn't in the Basketball Hall of Fame is a mystery to me. Goddamn sham of an oversight.

It is a shame. The A Train should have been in a long time ago.

peskypesky
02-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Artis should be in the HOF. No question.

Libri
02-05-2010, 02:33 AM
he set the league record for highest lifetime shooting percentage (59.9).

His FG% in the 1980-81 season with Chicago was .670. :wow

His FG% with the Spurs:

1982-83, .626
1983-84, .631
1984-85, .623
1985-86, .618
1986-87, .597

bigfan
02-05-2010, 09:44 AM
One of the first games I ever went to at Hemisfair and I got good seats right near the basket (for about $15 or so) and it just happened to be Akeem's first game in SA against the Spurs. Akeem was a big, tough and quick rookie but A-Train took him to school him that night. Artis was a huge guy (think David Robinson height and damn near Karl Malone width). Yep, he deserves to be in the HoF asap. As for shooting percentages, I dont think he ever took a shot more than 3 feet from the hoop (but thats just fine).

venitian navigator
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
My favourite player since the 80's and the reason I'm a spurs fan...He has all the numbers and reasons to be in the all of fame also if I don't undestand why being in the all of fame is important to him...

tlongII
02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
A-Train is one of my favorite players of all time. He definitely belongs in the HOF.

easy7
02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
A-Train and Iceman = sweet.