PDA

View Full Version : So is Mason going to be traded?

Truckules
02-05-2010, 01:29 AM
We really could have used him tonight. No one was shooting the 3 well and RMJ could have helped, but for some reason, he didn't play. Is this a sign that he is probably gone soon or is it just one of those Pop moves?

slick'81
02-05-2010, 01:30 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0412/nba_g_finley01_576.jpg

rayray2k8
02-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Oh god, I can't take anymore of these fucking noob threads. :depressed

timvp
02-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Probably more a matter of RMJ sucking the last two games ... and the return of Finley.

ShoogarBear
02-05-2010, 01:34 AM
On the positive side, Bonner didn't miss any more threes.

slick'81
02-05-2010, 01:35 AM
On the positive side, Bonner didn't miss any more threes.

i guess 0-0 never looked so good :rollin

Truckules
02-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Probably more a matter of RMJ sucking the last two games ... and the return of Finley.

You have to shoot out of a slump. Not playing him probably hurts his confidence. I guess I just have to trust that Pop knows him better than I do.

MaNu4Tres
02-05-2010, 01:38 AM
We really could have used him tonight. No one was shooting the 3 well and RMJ could have helped, but for some reason, he didn't play. Is this a sign that he is probably gone soon or is it just one of those Pop moves?

We are horrible shooting the 3 against teams over .500. (Good defensive teams). We as in everyone. And horrible is an understatement.

raspsa
02-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Losing Finley and Bonner to injury was bound to cause a drop in 3-pt. shooting %. Now it will take weeks for them to get back into form. Could have used some 3-pointers tonight.

spurtech09
02-05-2010, 02:21 AM
spurs could have used mason's 3's.....Ian over bonner...mason over finley...pop has lost his touch....

timtonymanu
02-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Mason wouldnt have made that shot tonight. 08-09 Mason would have, but not this year's.

SenorSpur
02-05-2010, 02:22 AM
It's starting to look like it.

z0sa
02-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Who the fuck would keep Finley's old ass over Mason? He got burned just trying to keep up with his man off the ball.

toki9
02-05-2010, 02:30 AM
i think it's contract related...i remember reading an interview with Mason where he obliquely admitted that he wasn't happy about his playing time, especially given that this was his contract year...maybe Pop thinks that's selfish, or maybe he wants to help Mason find a team that will give him enough time to play for a contract...but it looks like he's on a shaky ground...

Rogue
02-05-2010, 03:24 AM
If Mason was the only guy muted tonight and it's indeed an indicator that he's being traded, that's something more disappointing than encouraging then. Trading Mason himself doesn't make much sense IMHO given his salary and the capabilities of other guys earning comparable salaries.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
02-05-2010, 03:41 AM
I like fin but he sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kobyz
02-05-2010, 03:43 AM
it's time for Pop to understand Mason is not NBA player

Bruno
02-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Pop has played the mad scientist all year. A lot of players have been in and out of the doghouse this year.
Pop constant flip flopping has really hurt the team on the court and it also makes it difficult to know who is on the trading block and what kind of players Spurs are looking for in a trade.

Right now, it looks like Mason is on his way out. The bad news for him is that with the trade deadline in 2 weeks, Pop doesn't have a lot of times to change again his mind.

raspsa
02-05-2010, 03:49 AM
I missed the previous games but what exacly did Mason do to supposedly earn Pop's ire?

timvp
02-05-2010, 03:50 AM
I missed the previous games but what exacly did Mason do to supposedly earn Pop's ire?

Play like the tan version of Beno against the 2005 Pistons.

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Amen to that.

I don't see why Mason is the whipping boy of this team's struggles. Or it appears to be that way sometimes.

For the comparable money they're making...I would rather keep Mason and get rid of RJ. Mason at least at times has been instrumental in helping the Spurs win some close games.

RJ has been a dud out of that excitement one expects of blasting that really cool firecraker. All we tend to get is the fizzle of the fuse and then...poof.

mountainballer
02-05-2010, 04:43 AM
don't know what's that hard to understand.
there isn't an obligation to buy for all other teams outside the Spurs.
you can't go out and claim....but but I would rather trade player x, because he is bad and has a horrible contract.
fact is....
Mason:
very easy to trade - expiring contract, reasonable size (a lot of such contracts are out there, range 3-5 million, about 70 trades would work straight), simple player evaluation (he can shoot, that's all. a team looking for a pure shooter will be interested, a team in need for other qualities doesn't even need to think about it)
Jefferson:
almost impossible to trade. no short term effects (no expiring contract), if yes, it's a blockbuster trade (greater risk on all sides).

DesignatedT
02-05-2010, 04:43 AM
yes.

jason1301
02-05-2010, 06:41 AM
If you read my posts I never believed that a trade will "save" us. What we need is a healthy big3. Having said that, Mason, Hill and Manu all play the same position. Different players, but can't be on the floor at the same time... I know Manu and Hill can play the PG, but I would love to see Mase traded for a PG. That will make our team a bit more balanced.

TP/new PG
Hill/Manu

is better than

TP
Hill/Manu/Mason

Xevious
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
At some point Pop is going to have to come up with a set rotation and roll with it. It can't be good for chemistry or confidence to never know who's going to get minutes, who's going to start, etc.

EmmanuelTimothyDavid
02-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I hope so.... Mason is not playing the kind of basketball he supposed to play. even in point guard duties...

But If mason have to go who could replace him as one of our three point threat. Finley is old and could not hit his 3's anymore...

Bonner is inconsistent after he came back from injury........

If we can get Iguodala or Michael Reed here....That would be great!

bigfan
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I disagree with the rest, I like Mason and he is truely in a slump but I think hes both young enough and smart enough to come out of it. Now Id be all for trading Jefferson!

Obstructed_View
02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Didn't hit three pointers. The Spurs' defense was fine giving up 70 points to Denver in the last 26 minutes of the game. BTW, did Pop throw Hill under the bus last night for missing all those wide open threes that cost the Spurs the game?

Russ
02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
The Spurs need more physicality.

Mason doesn't bring that. (Nor does Bonner. Nor does Jefferson.)

ploto
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
There really has been a revolving door the last few years...

SpurCharger
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Lmao!!!

elbamba
02-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Has Finley been playing well?

z0sa
02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
BTW, did Pop throw Hill under the bus last night for missing all those wide open threes that cost the Spurs the game?

You don't throw your favorite player under the bus, regardless of circumstances.

The player that nailed 4 game winners last season though, he's expendable for no real reasons.

Pauleta14
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I really like Mason, but if we want quality players, we can't expect to trade only garbage...

To me, he is the most "tradable" talented player on the team!

mountainballer
02-05-2010, 02:55 PM
If we can get Iguodala or Michael Reed here....That would be great!

Michael Redd is our savior? uhm, this thread is really out of control!

gm5k
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM

seriously. love reading through this forum during meltdowns. some of the posts are just things of legend. not saying I like when the Spurs are playing poorly. just trying to find a silver lining here :downspin:

Creation88
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
another example of Pop making bad rotation choices.

gift of gab
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM

redd? lol. dude is out for the season with a knee injury. when , correct that, if he can come back from the constant knee problems of late, he is going to be a shell of his former self. redd was never fast or beat people with his speed, but now he most likely will become alan houston and be a role player at best and garbage at worst. do some background/fact checking before throwing shit on the wall to see if it will stick.

Sobe_Kucks
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
BTW, did Pop throw Hill under the bus last night for missing all those wide open threes that cost the Spurs the game?

Of course not. I know you knew that already. Aside from the missing threes... I know Hill is young and has great upside but he has a hell of a time getting past screens. Not Hill's finest game last night for sure, but doesn't it seem like he struggles getting around picks? Kinda odd for a defensively minded player. You'd think they'd be working on his game in that dept. OK back on topic... Mase in Pops doghouse? Yes. Will he be traded? Probably. Will it be a good move? Who knows, depends what we get.

androck
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Horrible HORRIBLE flashbacks!

The Truth #6
02-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't see the big problem with Mason this year. He's exactly the type of player the FO has always coveted - role players who excel in one or two areas. The problem is that the Big 3 aren't what they used to be and the FO hasn't been able to adapt on the fly. It's like we're still doing the same system with the same Big 3 except now the marginal role players are being expected to play better than they were originally intended.

Mason is still an incredible shooter. His ball handling has improved as has his passing and ability to get to the rim. I'm not going to say he's a great player but he's actually improved his game this year compared to last. Unfortunately, Pop wants to make him the whipping boy for all the team's problems, which is ridiculous. Since when did a 2-3 game shooting slump become a reason to completely give up on a player?

He's probably throwing Mason under the bus so he can feel better about trading him. That way it makes the transaction much easier to do.

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think it really has that much to do with the big 3 not being where they're supposed to be..

Mason should be used the same way that Eddie House is used in Boston..he should be getting 15 MPG and provide some good shooting in stretches..the problem is that Boston actually has wing players that play defense in Tony Allen(although he's really stupid), Pierce, Rondo and Daniels..along with some actual big men inside to compliment each other..

The Spurs don't have enough defensive players to hide guys like Mason..he's a great shooter, but he's still a liability on D, and this current Spurs team can't hide his defensive deficiencies..

The Truth #6
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't think it really has that much to do with the big 3 not being where they're supposed to be..

Mason should be used the same way that Eddie House is used in Boston..he should be getting 15 MPG and provide some good shooting in stretches..the problem is that Boston actually has wing players that play defense in Tony Allen(although he's really stupid), Pierce, Rondo and Daniels..along with some actual big men inside to compliment each other..

The Spurs don't have enough defensive players to hide guys like Mason..he's a great shooter, but he's still a liability on D, and this current Spurs team can't hide his defensive deficiencies..

I'd say Tim's defense is the worst it's ever been. And the same for Manu. Tony's defense has been up and down all season.

I don't know, it seems silly to sign a player who can only shoot then get angry at him for doing something outside of his narrow skill set - which is what they courted him for. The thing is, Mason actually improved this year but the team has fallen off in so many ways his original role is lost.

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, I agree that the big 3's defense is worse, I thought you just meant offensively..

Duncan and Manu are still reliable defenders, not game-changers defensively anymore, but the Spurs could surround them with good defenders and still have a good D IMO..we just need more defenders all-around to give us the ability to rely on guys like Mason for shooting for long stretches..

I like Mason, but when he's playing at SG and he has Finley or RJ or pretty much anybody else on the active roster at the 3, it's obviously going to be a huge defensive collapse for the Spurs..especially when you consider that there's no help behind him other than Duncan..

If we actually had a legit perimeter stopper or athletic wings that could defend for 10-15 minute stretches, or if we had another big to help out Duncan, we could actually get away with a guy like Mason playing 15-20 MPG and making a lot of shots without getting exploited defensively..

Also with Mason, there's always the Finley factor..Finley will ALWAYS have a spot on this team, even if Lebron was one of our SFs..

Baseline
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Here's something that really bothers me...Pop sat Bowen last year when he shouldn't have. He played Finley major minutes when he shouldn't have.

We all know Pop is livid at RJ right now (as he should be), and also livid at Mason (which he shouldn't be). But in my opinion a lot of the Spurs current problems started last year when Pop inexplicably began sitting Bowen. Yes, Bowen had lost a tad, but he was still light years ahead of 75% of the defenders in the NBA.

Right now, I'd take Bruce Bowen in a heartbeat. He would give us more productive minutes than RJ and Bogans, and he would shoot as effectively as Mason. Having Bruce on the floor would also largely negate the need for having Bonner on the floor so much.

Bowen was forced out a year too early. finley has stayed two years too long, if not three.

jj1194
02-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh god, I can't take anymore of these fucking noob threads. :depressed

It would be nice for once if this BOOB would actually say something intelligent instead of hating more than any other person on here. :lmao

crc21209
02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Bonner, Fin, and Mason should go for a big and a wing who can defend damn it...if only it were that easy..

The Truth #6
02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh, I agree that the big 3's defense is worse, I thought you just meant offensively..

Duncan and Manu are still reliable defenders, not game-changers defensively anymore, but the Spurs could surround them with good defenders and still have a good D IMO..we just need more defenders all-around to give us the ability to rely on guys like Mason for shooting for long stretches..

I like Mason, but when he's playing at SG and he has Finley or RJ or pretty much anybody else on the active roster at the 3, it's obviously going to be a huge defensive collapse for the Spurs..especially when you consider that there's no help behind him other than Duncan..

If we actually had a legit perimeter stopper or athletic wings that could defend for 10-15 minute stretches, or if we had another big to help out Duncan, we could actually get away with a guy like Mason playing 15-20 MPG and making a lot of shots without getting exploited defensively..

Also with Mason, there's always the Finley factor..Finley will ALWAYS have a spot on this team, even if Lebron was one of our SFs..

The Finley Factor. That's like a nightmare reality show that Spurs fans have had to watch for the last three years. Ha.

But to your point, I agree about needing stoppers. I used to think there were high quality wing defenders around, even if they came with obvious offensive liabilities but we can' seem to find them. We have Bogans who seems competent on offense, but in reality is a well rounded but very below average player and defender.

Good thing we have Hairston in the D league beating up on inferior talent. I can't believe we didn't give him a legit chance this year to help out on the wing when Finley went down. Same for Ian when Bonner went out. But sadly that was to be expected.