PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Deadline deal unlikely

duncan228
02-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Headline changed.

Spurs notebook: Deadline deal unlikely (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_wont_hold_his_breath_on_a_trade.html)

Popovich won't hold his breath on a trade (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Popovich_wont_hold_his_breath_on_a_trade.html)
Jeff McDonald

PORTLAND, Ore. — When the Spurs tipped off Thursday night's game against the Trail Blazers, there were exactly two weeks remaining until the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

The Spurs are sure to at least test the trade winds, but if coach Gregg Popovich had to guess, his roster on Feb. 19 probably will look a lot like it does now.

“There's a whole lot of talk that goes on between all 30 teams,” Popovich said before Thursday's game. “As we all know, come trade deadline, very little ever happens. So I wouldn't hold my breath or anything like that.”

Popovich stopped short of guaranteeing a roster freeze, as he did before the 2007 trade deadline. After an uneven first half of the season, and with a handful of expiring contracts to dangle, the Spurs have both motive and means to make a move.

The Spurs' last February trade came in 2008, when they swapped Brent Barry and Francisco Elson to Seattle for Kurt Thomas.

The latest chatter involving the Spurs comes courtesy of Sacramento Kings television broadcaster Jerry Reynolds, who doubles as that team's director of player personnel.

Citing an unidentified source, Reynolds said during the broadcast of Wednesday's Spurs-Kings game that the Spurs were in the process of completing a trade that would bring a backup point guard and a forward to San Antonio.

That rumor could not be independently corroborated Thursday, and all Spurs players were in uniform against the Blazers.

Earlier this season, Popovich acknowledged such whispers are to be expected this time of year.

“Nobody is going to just sit there and not make any calls about anything,” he said. “That's going on constantly. The chances of something happening are pretty slim, but everybody is trying to improve their team.”

Parker back: Tony Parker was back in the starting lineup Thursday, marking the first time the Spurs had their entire roster healthy since Dec. 5.

Parker had missed the previous three games with a sprained left ankle. He tried to talk his way into the lineup Wednesday at Sacramento, but Popovich did not relent until Thursday.

To make way for Parker's return, George Hill shifted back to shooting guard.

20-20, 20-20: In Wednesday's victory at Sacramento, the Spurs had four players score at least 20 points — George Hill (23), Tim Duncan (22), Manu Ginobili (20) and DeJuan Blair (20).

It marked the first time the Spurs had that many players surpass 20 points since March 8, 1994, when J.R. Reid (24), Willie Anderson (22), David Robinson (21) and Vinny Del Negro (21) did it.

slick'81
02-05-2010, 01:44 AM
and soo we wait lol

objective
02-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that after Pop guaranteed his 'no trades' roster in 07 they traded for Ely?

02-05-2010, 01:46 AM
sad thing is that the spurs might as well wait until next year's trade deadline so that they may trade jefferson's contract.

ElNono
So where is Mason going and what are we getting in return?

fusionjazzman72
Let's make a trade for the retired Ed Nealy he has more of a pair than Jefferson

Kori Ellis
Is Jeffs job to just reiterate what anyone says or does this guy actually have opinions?

He's not paid to have opinions. That's for Buck Harvey. Jeff's job is just to report.

Chieflion
"The chances of something happening are pretty slim, but everybody is trying to improve their team."

I wonder what this actually means for Pop and the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
02-05-2010, 01:47 AM
My guess is that Mason + Mahinmi are traded within a couple days.

edgar
02-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Ofcourse Pop is not going to come out and say "Yeah, so you've heard...well we wanted to keep it on the downlow but since you all found out, might as well tell you who the underachievers are..."

:splitter

Chomag
02-05-2010, 01:48 AM

For more older un-athletic vets would be my guessing. Well, at least we know they would actually get playing time.

fusionjazzman72
02-05-2010, 01:50 AM

I totally agree

Duncan2177
02-05-2010, 01:50 AM
CIA Pop

objective
02-05-2010, 01:51 AM
based on McDonald's writing style, I don't think I'd want to hear his opinions.

z0sa
based on McDonald's writing style, I don't think I'd want to hear his opinions.

I'm not sure he could formulate his own, so they'd probably be hit or miss.

As for a deal, Manu playing better and a lack of attractive offer ideas has all but cemented his status as spur-for-life. The prime components for any sort of title run presently exist on the team, if they exist at all.

Sean Cagney

My guess is you are right....... Probably right that is.

ShoogarBear
02-05-2010, 01:52 AM
I hear Karl Malone and Bob Cousy are available.

Chieflion
02-05-2010, 01:52 AM
I hear Karl Malone and Bob Cousy are available.
Son, Karl Malone could probably still play. I am sure he is still super fit.

fusionjazzman72
02-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Son, Karl Malone could probably still play. I am sure he is still super fit.

What about Ed Nealy?

mexicanjunior
02-05-2010, 01:57 AM
I guess Mcdonald is purposely trying to kill the little hope the fanbase has left...no trade means done season.

AnthonyM
02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Is Jeffs job to just reiterate what anyone says or does this guy actually have opinions?

Look up the difference between a reporter and a columnist...

Thompson
02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that after Pop guaranteed his 'no trades' roster in 07 they traded for Ely?

You're not wrong; the Spurs traded Eric Williams for Ely after Pop said that. In Pop's defense, though, Williams did ask why they played so much small ball.

ShoogarBear
02-05-2010, 01:59 AM
LOL, Ed Nealy. I still remember Steve Kerr calling him out during the 99 celebration.

raspsa
02-05-2010, 02:00 AM
I'm not sure he could formulate his own, so they'd probably be hit or miss.

As for a deal, Manu playing better and a lack of attractive offer ideas has all but cemented his status as spur-for-life. The prime components for any sort of title run presently exist on the team, if they exist at all.

Manu says he's going to explore free agency.. any other team could outbid the Spurs for his services at that time.

AnthonyM
02-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Jeffs moms troll?

No, but it should be pretty simple to realize that McDonald is actually paid to reiterate what people say. That's called quotes.

His job is to report an objective story on the Spurs...which he did.

Columnists give their opinion. And he is not paid to do that.

z0sa
02-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Manu says he's going to explore free agency.. any other team could outbid the Spurs for his services at that time.

No one is going to outbid the Spurs. They might even offer to extend him this season after the deadline.

SenorSpur
02-05-2010, 02:13 AM
It's pretty clear to me that Mason has played his way out. Seeing as how he didn't garner a single minute against the Blazers, I'd say Pop is obviously still pissed stemming from Mason's late 4th qtr meltdown versus the Kings. Now, it appears that Finley has surpassed Mason in the rotation again.

I've been trying to put my finger on what's wrong with this team. I've come to a couple of realizations:

1. RJ simply doesn't fit on this team. I've tried to make excuses for him. I like him as a player - but not here. He's not aggressive enough on either end, is a horrible, and even lazy defender - especially in transition. Dude will not even bother to stop the ball. Trading for him was a mistake. He needs to go. Identify another player (Andre Iguodala, John Salmons or someone else)

2. Manu is still a catalyst for this team and should be retained - at a reasonable contract.

3. TP and Hill are fine as backcourt teammates, but the swingman trimumverate of RJ, Finley, Mason are all simply disastrous. These three players simply do not have the footspeed, ability or desire to affect the game on both ends. As mentioned, RJ has athleticism, but is lazy, Finley is old and has exceeded his shelf-life, and Mason is weak and very one-dimensional. These guys all need to go.

4. The Spurs transition defense and defense of the 3-pt line is about as bad as I've seen under this coach. Pop's mistake is asking veterans to do things they've never done before. Improved team defense starts with having quicker, better, more committed players on the perimeter - which again leads back to #3

The Spurs MUST upgrade this area of the roster if they ever want to better match up against the quicker teams of the Western Conference. It may be too late for this year.

If the Spurs decide to stand pat with this roster, there is a good chance they could potentially miss the playoffs entirely.

spurtech09
02-05-2010, 02:24 AM
pop I think its time for you to retire.......

timtonymanu
02-05-2010, 02:32 AM
SenorSpur, I agree. Manu needs to have a contract renewal but that lazy POS Dick has a shitty contract in which he only plays about 5 million of it. Which may affect the team in resigning Manu. He already has doubts about resigining here.

While I like Dice, he's not enough to be Duncan's sidekick. It's like asking a bench player to be a big part of the team.

Other than Manu and maybe Blair, I dont see anyone from the bench being X-factors like Jaren Jackson or Brent Barry types. I cant trust any of them to be big in the playoffs other than Manu and Blair. Which is what the Spurs lack.

I do like the Parker/Hill backcourt and it should stay that way.

The defense like you said needs work.

Mason is probably gone unless he's in the doghouse.

I want to see a trade too but can a trade actually help this team at this point?

toki9
02-05-2010, 02:37 AM
1. RJ simply doesn't fit on this team. I've tried to make excuses for him. I like him as a player - but not here. He's not aggressive enough on either end, is a horrible, and even lazy defender - especially in transition. Dude will not even bother to stop the ball.

I was actually shocked to see just how lazy RJ's defense was tonight...McDyess still looked lost at times, but he at least didn't look lazy...but RJ looked lazy and lost (at times)...even Fin's defensive effort was much better than RJ's...

timtonymanu
02-05-2010, 02:39 AM
I was actually shocked to see just how lazy RJ's defense was tonight...McDyess still looked lost at times, but he at least didn't look lazy...but RJ looked lazy and lost (at times)...even Fin's defensive effort was much better than RJ's...

RJ is mentally weak. J Kidd made him look like a guy with balls.

z0sa
02-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Dyess only looked lost on a couple of very key rotations. His man defense was superb most of the game and his help was pretty top notch as well, until fatigue or something got the better of him late.

mountainballer
02-05-2010, 03:14 AM
if I remember right, the last years Pop ALWAYS declared before deadline, that a deal is unlikely. and it turned out, that the Spurs ALWAYS had a deal worked out.

2009: Camby - Sterling backed out last minute
2008: Kurt Thomas
2007: Melvin Ely
2006: JR Smith - failed because someone fucked up the paper work
2005: Nazr

considering that in each of the last 5 years the team looked better than this years Spurs, I would be very surprised, if they were not at least as active as in those years. of course no guarantee, that it finally materializes.

(I also think that currently Mason seems to be the most likely to be traded)

galvatron3000
02-05-2010, 03:14 AM
I believe Spurs are making a move may not be ground breaking but I think they know they have to TRY to do something before the deadline, we have too many wing players anyway and Jefferson needs to move to the guard spot sso we can get a real SF

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I just hope RJ can be dealt if a trade were to happen. I don't see why Mason is in the doghouse before Jefferson? To me RMJ has done better than RJ for the comparable money they're making.

Ice009
02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
I believe Spurs are making a move may not be ground breaking but I think they know they have to TRY to do something before the deadline, we have too many wing players anyway and Jefferson needs to move to the guard spot sso we can get a real SF

Spurs can do what you said - make a small deal and then after making that deal there is no reason why they can't really push hard to move RJ after in a separate deal.

Spursfanfromafar
02-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I think the most likely acquisition should be Ryan Gomes... who can be got for Finley + Mahinmi or Mason in one go.

ploto
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I keep thinking that Pop's public change of opinion about the Gasol trade indicates that the Spurs are trying to do something similar-- but whether they play the role of Memphis or LA, I am not so sure.

Capt Bringdown
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
So, a trade is about as unlikely as our playoff success this year, eh Pop?

jermaine
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
So, a trade is about as unlikely as our playoff success this year, eh Pop?

Jefferson was at the rim an shot a airball an they show Pops face, it was classic discuss! Lmao I did. I'm sure Pop wants to get rid of him but no one wants his sorry ass. They put their necks on the line for this trade an they seemed so sure but Jeffersons not giving anything in return. So now they can't get rid of him but they have to get rid of somebody. So sad.

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Spurs window of opportunity for another championship with Duncan lies in the next two seasons. Including this one. And it's apparent this current team brings out the worst in some of it's players than the best.

For the sake of opportunity it is of my opinion that it would be best to (if possible) make a block buster trade now. That way it can be seen for the rest of this season if the "new" additions will be able to gel together and give this team at least a chance to compete next year for a title if not miraculously make something happen this year.

EmmanuelTimothyDavid
02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Well hopefully the F.O. should really explore to make some trade before the trade deadline. Holt is losing a lot of money and if this continue it may affect the Spurs plan in 2010.

If we can make a deal with any Eastern conference team it would be better. A great defender could really help us now.

Who do you think is the best S.F. and PF defender this season in the Eastern conference?

The F.O should prioritize on getting a stopper. I notice the problem the team have right now is that all can score but no one is defending the scorer in the other team.

Bogans, Dice and Jefferson are a disappointment in there respective defensive assignment.

For things to change in this team...We need "DEFENSE BACK"

Allanon
02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Spurs are in at the start of an extended road trip with the "big" games next week.

As Barkley said last night, the only team the Spurs fear are the Lakers. That game will pretty much tell which direction the team is going. Spurs are confident they can beat every other team in a series.

Trade talks aren't going to heat up until the All Star Break.

Russ
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM

:clap :clap :clap :clap