PDA

View Full Version : Sills, 13, commits to USC

bugoy
02-05-2010, 05:33 AM
apparently the kid is 13 years old, 6 foot, and can break down nfl film already
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Lane Kiffin really is getting a jump on recruiting.
No sooner had the Trojans new coach put the finishing touches on the Class of 2010 recruits, that he turned his attention to the Class of 2015.
That's right, 2015.
Thursday evening Kiffin received a verbal commitment from 13-year old wunderkind quarterback David Sills of Bear, Del.
Too young?
Not according to his personal coach Steve Clarkson, who has mentored some of the game's best quarterbacks including current USC starter Matt Barkley (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480322).
"His skill set is off the chart," Clarkson said. "I've never seen anyone at his age do what he's been able to do."
The commitment, which was first reported by ESPN's Shelley Smith, has happened in college basketball previously, but is unprecedented for college football where it's harder to project how a player as young as Sills will develop physically. Clarkson says that won't be a problem.
"He's already six feet as a 13-year old," Clarkson said. "And he's breaking down NFL footage."
Clarkson said the scholarship offer emerged after he called Kiffin to discuss a quarterback recruit for next year's class.
Clarkson said Kiffin asked him his opinion of the recruit and Clarkson said, "You might call me crazy, but you've known me a long time, right? And when I said if there was going to be a LeBron James (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1966) of football it'd be Jimmy Clausen (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=231813) that turned out to be a pretty good prediction.
"And when I said Matt Barkley had the potential to be as good as Jimmy, he ended up winning Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior and starting at USC as a freshman, right?
"Well, I've got a kid now who is better than all of them and he's in Delaware. You gotta take a look at him."
Clarkson then directed Kiffin to a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUb8F8Ltru0) of Sills that is making the rounds on YouTube.
Kiffin watched it and called him back immediately.
"He was like, 'This kid is incredible. How old is he again?'
"I was like, 'That's the problem, he's 13.' "
A couple of hours later, the Sills family called Kiffin and they spoke for the first time. USC had always been Sills' dream school, according to his father, David Sills IV.
"I'm as shocked as anybody," Sills' father said. "I was just talking with friends yesterday about what it'll be like four years from now when David goes through the recruiting process. I never expected this to happen so soon.
"But David's always wanted to go to USC. I mean, is there a better place to play football in the country? How can you pass up the best offer you're ever going to get?"
The younger Sills, who is an seventh-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear, Del., has been training with Clarkson for three years. They meet about once every six weeks at various locations around the country. Sometimes in California, where Clarkson is based. Sometimes in Delaware. And sometimes somewhere in the middle, if Clarkson is conducting a clinic.
"Steve and David hit it off immediately," David Sills IV said. "If there's ever anything David is doing wrong, Steve can fix it in like 10 minutes."
Still, 2015 is a long time from now. A lot can change.
"Well, we're going to be out to California in a few weeks and we'll meet Lane then," Sills' father said. "We're excited to meet him. And we're excited to verbally commit. Hopefully it all works out in the future."
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=4888515

mookie2001
02-05-2010, 06:07 AM
6 feet at 13 isn't impressive at all

Bump on signing day 2015 for my opinion

symple19
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
lol

IronMexican
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Who knows how kids develop. He could just stop growing. Like all the kids in the little league world series who never make the MLB.

DMX7
02-05-2010, 02:06 PM
He'll be fourteen next year.

bugoy
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Who knows how kids develop. He could just stop growing. Like all the kids in the little league world series who never make the MLB.
the kids already 6 foot, if he stopped growing i think he'd still be able to get scholorships

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
It's a little ridiculous the kid knows where he's going to college but doesn't know where he's going to HS yet.

redraiderinfiji
02-06-2010, 12:23 AM
When is jgw going to make a comment? He would validate this somehow. Knowing his mindframe, as long as its USC, he will say its great!

redraiderinfiji
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
This kid is more than likely a super star in his area. I am sure he will be getting laid at a very young age. Sad, but true.....

johngateswhiteley
02-06-2010, 03:06 AM
This story is irrelevant, and anybody with a brain can see why.

mookie2001
02-06-2010, 04:05 AM
This kid was offered an athletic scholarship

By kiffin

To college

symple19
02-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Joke of the year happened twice! After 13 year old David Sills’ commitment to coach Lane Monte Kiffin of University of Southern California Trojans was being considered the biggest joke of the year, Evan Berry’s (who is also 13 year old) commitment hovered up to take the number one spot.
It’s amazing to see how the game of football has changed attitudes of players. The recruitment is so fast, and the money is so much, that it makes kids like Evan and David want to grow up before time.
“Yes, I committed to Tennessee,” Evan said. “It’s the only college I know right now and it seems the best for me. My dad went there and my brother is there now. I know I can do the same things there. I have a real friendly relationship with the coaches there. I know I don’t know them too well but I know I will have plenty of time to get to know them.
“I want to play in the secondary and I want to play for coach (Monte) Kiffin.”
Sorry kid, it ain’t happening yet. When Evan committed to his favorite coach Kiffin, he was in Tennessee Volunteers college and now he is in USC.
Where does the so called commitment stand now? I feel it’s better to play high school first and then decide your college rather than making a fool of yourself by releasing stupid commitments which are five years too early.
What does a 13 year kid know about colleges anyways?

rofl

IceColdBrewski
02-06-2010, 12:39 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2wgi07a.jpg

bugoy
02-06-2010, 02:29 PM
its a win win for USC anyways, they arent binded to anything and that kid is either going to...

1) live his dream to play in USC
2) get his dreams crushed bc he doesnt pan out

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2010, 03:25 PM
and the kiffin era has begun

crofl usc downfall

Thompson
02-06-2010, 04:59 PM
What's the point of committing at that age? If USC would be forced to honor the scholarship even if the kid didn't pan out or was injured, I could see how that security would be nice. USC will just rescind the offer if they don't think he's worth it, though, so why commit to them?

mookie2001
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
the reason why he committed is because they offered, they can pull his offer anytime they want, that's why it's a no win

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Why don't all colleges just offer all kids in high school then just rescind offers as they get older

mookie2001
02-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Would be bad for business, no coach or father would want a kid to give a worthless verbal

Lil' Jon
02-07-2010, 10:21 AM
This story is irrelevant, and anybody with a brain can see why.

What?

Whisky Dog
02-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Lol what a joke. Kiffin's ass isn't going to be there in 5 yrs!! How long have his HC stints lasted? That fool with have NCAA violations surface within 3 yrs.

symple19
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
From SI.com http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/02/05/usc-sills/index.html

Go ahead and laugh, but this time, Lane Kiffin may have outfoxed us.
Kiffin's scholarship offer to a 13-year-old seventh grader has turned into a national joke, right down to the obligatory Chris Hansen/Dateline NBC references. It's positively hilarious that Kiffin -- whose just-spell-my-name-right style of attention-grabbing recruiting has earned him a reputation bigger than his 7-6 record as a college head coach -- would promise a scholarship in the class of 2015 to a player who might not shave for three more years.
I'll admit it. I chuckled, too. Until I searched for David Sills on YouTube. Then everything made sense.
The description of the clip touts the Bear, Del., quarterback prodigy as "the best young phenom since Tiger Woods." (Get your minds out of the gutter, sickos.) The clip itself is a 117-second commercial for DreamMaker, the newest project for quarterback guru Steve Clarkson, whose past students include Matt Leinart, Jimmy Clausen and Matt Barkley.
Let's not discount the fact that Sills is a promising young quarterback who, at 11, was profiled on this site. But even if Sills stops growing and remains stuck at 6-feet, even if he never throws a football one mile per hour faster, Kiffin has accomplished his mission. He has done a huge favor for Clarkson, whose DreamMaker project is a made-for-TV event, an American Idol for quarterbacks. We all know how rich Simon Cowell is, so if I'm Clarkson, I'm eternally grateful to Kiffin, whose scholarship offer to Sills made the ESPN crawl and sent college football fans scrambling to the Web to find video of the kid. Those searches led directly to Clarkson's commercial.
Now, if Clarkson happens to give Kiffin the first crack at his best students, all the better for Kiffin.
Remember, Kiffin has done this before. Last year, he offered a scholarship to 13-year-old Evan Berry, the younger brother of star Tennessee safety Eric Berry. The Berrys' father, James, played at Tennessee, and Evan has a twin brother named
Kiffin got ripped for that scholarship offer, too, but it's difficult to understand why. The son of a former college star, whose older brother was an All-America, might someday join your team. And he might bring his fraternal twin brother with him. Any geneticist will tell you it's best to fish in a stocked gene pool, so why not get in on the brothers as early as possible?
In the more recent case, Kiffin had three other good reasons to offer Sills.

David Sills, now 13, was being touted as a future five-star stud at the age of 10.
Courtesy of MaxPreps
1) The kid might really be great.
Sills might grow into a five-star stud. Clarkson doesn't toss around such praise lightly, but in 2007 he told SI.com: "I know he's young, but there's always an exception. He's the exception. By no means would I recommend this for 10-year olds, but he's a special case."
In 2000, I was a recent college grad covering Tennessee sports. The father of one Volunteer told me the player had a younger brother who might be truly special under center. The Tennessee player was quarterback Casey Clausen. At the time, his brother Jimmy was 13. We all know how that turned out. It's no guarantee that Sills will follow in Jimmy Clausen's cleatmarks, but it might be worth a bet.
Kiffin also has fallen in love with a young quarterback before. In 2005 while he was a USC assistant, Kiffin thought the Trojans should offer a high school freshman from Santa Ana, Calif. That quarterback's name was Matt Barkley.
As for the length of the commitment and the mercurial nature of college football recruiting, it's safe to assume both parties went into this with eyes open. Sills' father, also named David, is a successful general contractor. He's not dumb. He certainly understands Kiffin may not even be coaching at USC in 2015. He may have moved on, or he may not have won enough games to keep the job. But at the moment, USC is his son's dream school. That could change, but neither Sills nor USC has to walk down the aisle until February 2015.
2) Maybe Kiffin finally has a handle on the NCAA rulebook.
At Tennessee, Kiffin earned the nickname "Lane Violations" because of a nasty habit of breaking the NCAA's more persnickety rules -- often in public. By recruiting a seventh-grader, he can avoid breaking those rules, most of which don't apply to Sills.
The NCAA doesn't consider a player a "prospective student-athlete" until he enters ninth grade. Until then, coaches can call as many times as they want. So Kiffin is in the clear.
3) If we're talking about this, we're not talking about the elephant in the room.
Or maybe we should call him the 6-8, 330-pound offensive tackle in the room. The details of star lineman Seantrel Henderson's commitment to USC on Wednesday only serve to underscore the fact that the NCAA has yet to dish out punishment from its investigation into the accusations that former Trojan Reggie Bush and his family received a small fortune in improper benefits while Bush played for USC.
Henderson, ranked the nation's No. 2 overall prospect by Rivals.com, will not sign until after the Trojans meet with the NCAA's committee on infractions later this month. If USC receives bad news, it's a safe bet Henderson will sign elsewhere. If the NCAA really drops the hammer, it could affect the Trojans' recruiting for a long time -- maybe even until 2015.
Fortunately, USC already has locked up the kid who could be the best quarterback in that class. Of course, a lot can change between now and then. As the singer of the way-too-literal soundtrack to the Sills YouTube clip/Clarkson commercial croons, Sills has got "all kinds of time."