PDA

View Full Version : Finley not tradeable.

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I've read many takes regarding Finley. Most have been the accusation of him being a favorite of Pop.

Well that may be true to some extent though not to the extent some may express.

The fact is...Finley is not tradeable. He cannot produce enough to warrant another team a reason for acquiring him and his salary would not reduce enough another's team need to have cap space.

Finley on this team is good for the Spurs if ever at a moment there might be a need for a clutch shot to win a game. IMO he still possesess that ability. And if any trade were to go down that would provide the Spurs with players that would address their need at this time, Finley on the team would be an advantage in a playoff situation in such a situation.

Bottomline...except he is here. He won't be traded. And the team has more pressing issues than if Finley is playing or not.

He wouldn't be a deal maker in a trade nor is he hurting the team in regards to cap space.

I. Hustle
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Whatever, I still think we can trade him for Lebron or 'Melo.

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
thank you Mr. Obvious.

You're quite welcomed.

With Finley back from the dead. It's obvious he is going to be getting playing time. Perhaps that over what some would think he deserves.

Point is...who else has been playing efficiently enough to say he doesn't deserve time on the court? He just might be effective enough in a clutch situation that many have been proven so far this season to not be able to provide by someone else.

Creation88
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
finley being here was a FO mistake several years ago when they decided to bring him back. just taking up space on the bench.

baseline bum
02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Finley, Bonner, and Mason could bring a $10 million player in return, and you gotta believe teams are going to be looking to dump contracts with a hard cap looming next summer.

dbestpro
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
We no longer refer to him has Finley. He is now known as Count Finley because he keeps returning from the dead.

Sobe_Kucks
02-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Point is...who else has been playing efficiently enough to say he doesn't deserve time on the court?

I'd rather see Mase get some burn and get his stroke back than see Finley on the court. I loved how as soon as he entered the game last night he sluffed off his man and gave up a wide open three. Only thign better was when he clanked a 3 of his own. I swear ever there is waaay too much man luv between Pop and Fin. Mase is probably on his way out since he didn't see the court last night.

Chomag
02-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I would rather Mason play then Finley. Both bring thhe same amount skill wise however I think Mason is far the better player at this stage in Finley's career.

This comming from somone who's favorite player used to be Finley, I'm just one of those that has known he has been done since last season.

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
We no longer refer to him has Finley. He is now known as Count Finley because he keeps returning from the dead.

:lmao

Maybe so. But if he can make a clutch shot to help win a close game from here on out during this brutal schedule...I'll take the "dead" shot over a player who might not have the confidence to do so anymore.

I think he's proven to be more accountable in situations like that more so than his lack of consistentcy as a starter.

Fabbs
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I've read many takes regarding Finley. Most have been the accusation of him being a favorite of Pop.

Well that may be true to some extent though not to the extent some may express.

The fact is...Finley is not tradeable. He cannot produce enough to warrant another team a reason for acquiring him and his salary would not reduce enough another's team need to have cap space.
So Finley is not good enough for any other team to take him yet you think he is good enough for the Spurs.
That my friend is a "Pop Favorite".
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/666-4.jpg

Austin_Toros
02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Mike Fin may not be tradeable, but come season's end he will certainly be retireable.

slick'81
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Finley, Bonner, and Mason could bring a $10 million player in return, and you gotta believe teams are going to be looking to dump contracts with a hard cap looming next summer.

god we can only hope

Fabbs
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
:lmao

Maybe so. But if he can make a clutch shot to help win a close game from here on out during this brutal schedule...
I do agree that while we are stuck with Finley he can serve a purpose such as end of game FTs.

TJastal
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
So Finley is not good enough for any other team to take him yet you think he is good enough for the Spurs.
That my friend is a "Pop Favorite".
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/666-4.jpg

:rollin

02-05-2010, 11:03 PM
finley is probably the most clutch shooter on the team. if it was finley in that corner against the blazers instead of ginobili, he would have made it. that's his only value. play some spot shooting minutes and maybe make some critical shots when needed. i don't mind him as long as he comes off the bench.

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Finley is actually exactly like what Derek Fisher is for the Lakers, and their fans feel the same way about him..the Lakers can disguise Fisher with their length/size in the frontcourt defensively though, we can't really disguise Finley..

timvp
02-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Finley isn't tradeable. But his contract is certainly tradeable. No one receiving Finley in a trade will care what he does on the basketball court.

phyzik
02-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Finley isn't tradeable. But his contract is certainly tradeable. No one receiving Finley in a trade will care what he does on the basketball court.

I was about to post something along the same lines. does no one understand the value of expiring contracts at this point in time in the NBA with the new CBA looming?

SenorSpur
02-06-2010, 03:16 AM
While Finley might not be considered tradeable by some, it's clear that he's both a wasted roster spot and a wasted salary slot. Certainly he could be used as a throw-in component in an effort to get a better swingman in here.

DAF86
02-06-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm sure Finley would have made that three that Manu missed.

Bruno
02-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Finley's expiring contract is a good little trade asset. Something that also raise a little his trade value is that Finley is a prime candidate to be bought out and to re-sign with a contender.

If you are a rebuilding team, you know that if you trade for Finley, there is a good chance he will ask for a buy out. It means that you likely won't have to pay his whole remaining salary ($1M) and that you will save some money (maybe $200K or $300K).

On Spurs side, I guess that they will now look more at trading Mason than Finley. Mason is in the doghouse and even if Finley is nowhere near a great player, he has the huge edge to be cheaper that Mason. Trading Mason instead of Finley will also Spurs to save more than $1.5M.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Finley sucks!!!!

SpurNation
02-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Finley's expiring contract is a good little trade asset. Something that also raise a little his trade value is that Finley is a prime candidate to be bought out and to re-sign with a contender.

If you are a rebuilding team, you know that if you trade for Finley, there is a good chance he will ask for a buy out. It means that you likely won't have to pay his whole remaining salary ($1M) and that you will save some money (maybe $200K or $300K).

On Spurs side, I guess that they will now look more at trading Mason than Finley. Mason is in the doghouse and even if Finley is nowhere near a great player, he has the huge edge to be cheaper that Mason. Trading Mason instead of Finley will also Spurs to save more than $1.5M.

What team is really going to care about saving $200 to $300K for just one player? There would be many others available that would help a team save 3X that amount?

That's why I said he isn't tradeable regarding the contract side. Sure his contract is tradeable. But for what regarding the other team? Really not that much in the grand scheme of cap space.

itzsoweezee
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
he's an expiring contract. he's tradeable.