PDA

View Full Version : Enough.

BlackSilver
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes, this team is decidedly mediocre. Yes, the RAGE trade cost an arm and a leg and all it gave us was a whimper...as in, that's what the dude does when Pop chews him out for blowing yet another assignment. Yes, we have awful 3-point shooters, and interior defense, and perimeter defense, and [fill in the blank]. And, yes, Manu (my hero) is playing at the lowest level I've ever seen.

But, I would rather the team take its lumps for another year and rebuild wisely than make some hasty, stupid-ass trade in February that destroys our title chances for the foreseeable future. Like, for Camby :td. Or, for Caron Butler :td. Or, for Jamison :td. Or, in short, for any other high-priced prima donna, stats-heavy player out there in exchange for half the roster, future draft picks, and the rights to Splitter. :td :td :td :td :td :td

If the current cast of characters can't learn Pop's simplified playbook and can't remember how to rotate and how to deny penetration and how to not turn the ball over by now, how will some fancy star come in now and make us better by June? Are you kidding me??? That would be doubling down on a bad bet. No team in its right mind is going to take our one awful contract (RJ) and give us good players without dumping some other horrible disaster on us. No one wants Bonner. No one wants Ratliff. No one wants Bogans. No one wants Finley. Someone may want Mace, but honestly I'd rather keep him and make him a regular part of the rotation. Manu's contract may be a great trade chip, but that's too painful for me to contemplate. Sure, you could trade Mahinmi, but we're only gonna get another benchwarmer back.

If the FO can dump RJ and miraculously get us back under the cap for the year, I'm all for doing that trade. But it ain't gonna happen. Other than that, let's not mortgage the future by taking on a bizillion dollars and giving up Splitter to chase some half-baked dream of a championship this year. Our best chance this year is to hope these people get it together by June. If they don't, well, time to start dumping some folks in the off season.

Sorry for the extended rant, and thank you for your kind patience. Cheers. :flag:

ElNono
02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Things will settle in two weeks. Half the forum will jump off a cliff, and the other half will just carry on and hope for the best if we make the playoffs. Patience grasshopper.

Chomag
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
How many more chances do you think Spurs have at a championship? TD, and Manu are not getting any younger. Spurs have to be in win now mode becuase TD can not play forever. The window is closing fast, even faster then most of us thought it would.

alchemist
02-05-2010, 03:51 PM
The Spurs are trying to squeeze the very last drop out of this trio this year.

Realistically I don't see Ginobili coming back next season, even if does we'll never see that explosive Ginobili consistently through-out a season. Parker has a history of ankle problems. Timmy is desperately holding down the front-line. The Spurs have a lot of decisions to go through this summer.

androck
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Realistically I don't see Ginobili coming back next season, even if does we'll never see that explosive Ginobili consistently through-out a season. Parker has a history of ankle problems. Timmy is desperately holding down the front-line. The Spurs have a lot of decisions to go through this summer.

I don't think Ginobili will be back either. He's only 32 but his style of play and so many deep playoff runs plus his time with Argentina makes me think he won't be able to stay healthy. He's too big of a risk for a small-market team like the Spurs to take unless he is willing to play for peanuts.

I have the same worry for Parker. His style of play causes him to hit the floor several times every game and if he's doing this 82 games + playoffs +national team I think he's going to be on the IR a lot in the next 2-3 years.

easy7
02-05-2010, 04:14 PM
This team would be pretty good if it was another team and they were playing another sport. :hat

Boss
02-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't think Ginobili will be back either. He's only 32 but his style of play and so many deep playoff runs plus his time with Argentina makes me think he won't be able to stay healthy. He's too big of a risk for a small-market team like the Spurs to take unless he is willing to play for peanuts.

I have the same worry for Parker. His style of play causes him to hit the floor several times every game and if he's doing this 82 games + playoffs +national team I think he's going to be on the IR a lot in the next 2-3 years.

Look at Manus options in free agency. No bad team is gonna give Manu a lot of money to join them, so u look at other contenders. All the contenders r way over the cap and Manu is lookin at best the MLE. Unless Manu gets traded at the deadline which isn't going to happen I expect the Spurs will want him back and resign him at like a 2yr/$17million deal.

gift of gab
02-05-2010, 04:24 PM

parker's style of play and manu's for that matter is akin to allen iverson of old. they are both tough as nails, but not physically overpowering or big, and take an enormous beating game in and out. it will take its toll on both . it is showing in ginobili present day and most likely with tony to a bigger degree shortly down the road.

allen used to be the most dynamic athlete in the nba. dude could jump and finish by throwing it down. 6 years into the league and he wasnt doing that anymore (i.e., he wasnt playing above the rim). granted, tp uses his body more effectively imo to finish amongst the trees of bigs than AI, but on the flipside, TP was never the athlete AI was (except for speed).

here is hoping the constant beating doesnt diminish their abilities like AI, but i think that wheel has already been set in motion.

mexicanjunior
02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Tank...please...

BlackSilver
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
How many more chances do you think Spurs have at a championship? TD, and Manu are not getting any younger. Spurs have to be in win now mode becuase TD can not play forever. The window is closing fast, even faster then most of us thought it would.

True, not many. But if we do a trade just to do one, we will have even fewer chances.

BlackSilver
02-05-2010, 11:19 PM
This team would be pretty good if it was another team and they were playing another sport. :hat

Maybe they've actually been preparing for the Winter Olympics all along. Bobsledding?

SenorSpur
02-05-2010, 11:37 PM

I'd rather have Manu back than RJ.

Sorry Dick. I love ya man, but didn't know you were without heart.

ivanfromwestwood
02-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd rather have Manu back than RJ.

Sorry Dick. I love ya man, but didn't know you were without heart.did you just say you loved dick????:lmao lol sorry i just couldnt help myself. you set yourself up for that one.

ezau
02-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I still think we have a very, very slim chance of winning the championship this year. If the team fails, I would understand the FO to start blowing things up one by one.

bdictjames
02-06-2010, 02:03 AM
For the MLE level, I'd want Manu. Not for 10 million.

SenorSpur
02-06-2010, 02:25 AM
did you just say you loved dick????:lmao lol sorry i just couldnt help myself. you set yourself up for that one.

I guess I did, at that. :lol

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2010, 02:32 AM
I guess my man Senor has something in common with RJ then;)..

LOL /ends immaturity..

easy7
02-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Maybe they've actually been preparing for the Winter Olympics all along. Bobsledding?

Go for the gold!!!!!

all_heart
02-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Our guys are getting older that's for sure. RJ isn't working out so far. We have Blair and Hill to look forward to. Maybe it's time to trade TP for a quality big. I think a good C/PF would be easier to integrate into the system. Only job is to defend the paint, rebound, and score down low. No chasing other fast guards around, no long ball, no attacking the rim from a distance. I say TP because of our stars, we would get the most for him. I don't know anything about his number$ though. If we let GH run the point and sign a Vaughn type of backup PG, theoretically RJ would get more touches as would this new big. It would be nice if we could trade RJ for Igoudala type of player. But I think it's too late in the season for something like this too happen.