PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Playoffs Revisited: The Last We Saw Of The Real Spurs

vednam
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
While Popovich and the Big 3 are still around, and while the jerseys still read Spurs, I think it is clear that the character of the team is fundamentally different from what it was during the championship years.

The Spurs used to win close games. If they had a moderate lead in the 4th quarter, forget it. Game over. Their defense would put on the clamps. And while they were never an overwhelming offensive team, Tim, Manu and Tony would score enough to secure the victory. Flawless execution and poise down the stretch was the team's trademark. You had to beat them. They were not going to beat themselves.

During the 2007-2008 season, however, cracks were starting to surface in the team's foundation. The Spurs had captured their 4th title in eight years in 2007, but the front office failed to take advantage of the opportunity during the offseason to replenish the team with youth and athleticism and secure another two or three years of title contention. With the exception of the Tony Parker, all of the team's key players were on the wrong side of 30. It was clear that Tim Duncan wasn't quite as dominant as he had been a few years earlier.

For a while, it didn't seem like it would matter. Sure, no one was talking about the Spurs. They weren't getting the respect usually afforded to defending champions. All the talk was of the Celtics and Lakers. But it was always like that with the Spurs. During their championship seasons, everyone was talking about the Lakers or Suns or Pistons all season long.

Somehow, the Suns had become favorites to defeat the Spurs in the first round. After acquiring Shaqulle O'Neal, they had put together some good performances against the Spurs in their regular season meetings. Yet the Spurs came out and won a classic double-overtime thriller which set the tone for the series. The Spurs would eliminate the Suns in five games. But aside from a Game 3 blowout, each victory was by a thin margin. Once again, execution down the stretch made all the difference. Whether it was Bruce Bowen knocking down an inbounds pass to Steve Nash or Fabricio Oberto chasing down a key round, the Spurs seemed to make all the key plays.

Next up were the Hornets, a young, athletic team which had unceremoniously dumped the Mavericks in the first round. It was in this series that it started to become apparent that the Spurs were on their last legs. The Spurs usually led at halftime only to watch the Hornets run away with the game in the third quarter. They seemed to have no answer for the Hornet' energy and athleticism. They couldn't keep Chris Paul out of the paint. They had no answer for David West. They couldn't stop Tyson Chandler from throwing down alley-oop dunks.

Worst of all, Gregg Popovich was making a habit of giving up when he saw his team down by 10-15 points in the fourth quarter. It showed how old and tired the Spurs were. Popovich knew that this team lacked the energy to overcome substantial (but far from insurmountable) deficits, and decided that extra rest was worth more than a futile attempt to come back.

Somehow, after dropping the first two games on the road, the Spurs roared back by taking the next two in San Antonio. the home team prevailed each time in the first six games, and it came down to a Game 7 in New Orleans.

That Game 7 would prove to be the last vintage performance we saw from the Spurs. Tim Duncan didn't have a great game. He missed many shots down the stretch, and couldn't seem to get any bounces. But he rebounded and anchored the defense to perfection. Manu Ginobili was showing the inconsistency brought on by a first-round injury throughout the series. But in Game 7, Ginobili and Parker seemed to hit every big shot down the stretch.

All of the role players stepped up too. Somehow the Spurs had always been able to make-do with aging, unathletic, but intelligent and poised role players. It had become a stape of their team. Throughout the series, it seemed like too much trust had been put in these role players to be able to compete with younger, more talented opponents. It would prove to be right, in painful ways, in the next round and the next season. But one last time, they showed why the Spurs had been able to succeed with them for so long.

The ancient Robert Horry came out of hibernation and hit timely shots and played stingy defense. Bruce Bowen shut Peja Stojakovic down. Even Ime Udoka nailed several dagger three-pointers. Every time the Hornets threatened to grab the momentum, somone would step up and hit a shot.

The Spurs survived a final flurry by the Hornets (with their trademark defense, and precision, and a clutch jumper from Tony Parker) and advanced to the conference finals.

A tired Spurs team somehow took a large lead (20 points?) against the favored Lakers in Game 1. But right then, they ran out of gas for the rest of the game and the rest of the series. The Spurs uncharacteristically surrendered a huge lead. They were unable to generate any offense. The Lakers took Game 1. The Spurs gamely battled on for the rest of the series. Tim Duncan seemed a step slow, Manu Ginobili was hurting and completely out of sync. The Spurs' venerated defense somehow made things tough for the Lakers and kept games very close. But they just couldn't generate any offense. It was clear that they needed an infusion of youth and talent. They question was, how could do they achieve this while maintaining their character?

We all know what has happened since. Amazingly, the Spurs failed to act in the 2008 offseason, banking on a healthy Ginobili pushing them back over the top. They had no replacement for Robert Horry. Bowen, Oberto, and Thomas just got old. Roger Mason and Matt Bonner added some offensive firepower, but they weren't true Spurs. They couldn't guard anyone. Not much needs to be said regarding the "too little, too late" action the Spurs finally took in 2009.

Looking back, it is becoming apparent that the 2008 playoffs (at least the first two rounds) was the last we saw of the mentally tough, poised Spurs team which won close games and executed to perfection. They were like the Celtics in 1988 or the Lakers in 1991. It was their last stand.

Other teams have attempted to stay relevant as their stars aged.

Think of the 76ers in the mid 80s. Charles Barkley was supposed to be enough to put them back on top. But it didn't matter because Moses Malone was often injured and not quite as good as he had been just a few years earlier. Andrew Toney's stress fractures destroyed the career of one of the most feared clutch performers of his generation. Dr. J just got old and couldn't take over games like he used to.

Thinks of the Celtics in the early 90s. They kept their Big 3 of Bird, McHale and Parish together, and tried to supplement the core with younger, talented players like Reggie Lewis. It didn't matter, because Bird's back and McHale's feet ensured they'd never recapture the magic of the 80s.

That is where the Spurs stand right now. It doesn't matter how promising George Hill looks or how tenaciously DeJuan Blair overachieves. Manu Ginobili can't shoot and can't stay healthy. Tim Duncan is laboring down the court, and though he gamely gets his 20 and 10, he's not feared as he once was on offense, and he's having trouble keeping up with quicker opponents on defense.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
good read :tu

Maybe the championship window is already shut and Holt finally went into luxury tax too late in the game.

Soon, we should have a thread for all of our favorite Spurs memories during the dynasty

ElNono
02-05-2010, 04:39 PM
It was the final year of Bowen as an integral part of the team, so if you're correct, I think it would be very telling...

Amuseddaysleeper
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I honestly think if Bowen had come back to the Spurs this year, he would still be the team's best perimeter defender. Obviously, he wouldn't be anything to close to how he was in his prime, but I never thought I'd see a trade of Bowen, Thomas, and Oberto for RJ be a bad one for the Spurs

VBM
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
good read :tu

Maybe the championship window is already shut and Holt finally went into luxury tax too late in the game.

This. The main reason (IMO) that we never repeated was because we were stuck in the whole "let the same cast give it another run" mode when SA should have focused on making upgrades as other teams upgraded to match them.

Sean Cagney
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
This. The main reason (IMO) that we never repeated was because we were stuck in the whole "let the same cast give it another run" mode when SA should have focused on making upgrades as other teams upgraded to match them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Chillen
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I loved watching the Spurs win NBA titles in 2003, 2005, 2007. They were competitive year in year out. In 2008, against the Lakers in the WCF you could just get a sense that the owner Holt being cheap finally caught up with the franchise. The Scola trade imo really cost the Spurs a potential NBA title, and they never did a good job finding a quality bigman to get Duncan's back like the Admiral "David Robinson" did. I don't think it's fair to say they are done or the window has closed, but if this team wants to win it this year, they need to make a trade or else it will either be a 1st rd or 2nd rd exit.

alchemist
02-05-2010, 05:23 PM
The Spurs were burned out that season. They shot out of the gate with a mission to repeat (15-3). But injuries began to creep up on this team that season. It was a lost cause because of the seeding they got, they played the 2 toughest possible match-ups to start the playoffs that year. You know Pop is out of his comfortable zone when he has to do a Hack-A-Shaq gimmick.

Chillen
02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
The Spurs were burned out that season. They shot out of the gate with a mission to repeat (15-3). But injuries began to creep up on this team that season. It was a lost cause because of the seeding they got, they played the 2 toughest possible match-ups to start the playoffs that year. You know Pop is out of his comfortable zone when he has to do a Hack-A-Shaq gimmick.

That is true, a tough series against Phoenix and New Orleans. The Lakers didn't have that kind of competition that year until they faced Boston since the Spurs were kind of deflated.

Chomag
02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
:depressed

TDomination
02-05-2010, 05:49 PM
This is frustrating, last year was kind of odd though. If it wasn't for the injuries at the beginning of the season, i think they could have won 60 games last year. They won 54 with that slow start.

Then Manu got hurt, but I'm pretty sure we wouldnt have been able to do much even with him in the lineup.

This year, we see glimpses, moments of where you think to yourself that this team might have it in them. And then 5 minutes later its a whole different team.

Inconsistency has been the biggest thing with this team. Whether its inconsistent shooting, inconsistent defense, inconsistent rotations, inconsistent coaching, there has been inconsistency all around.

IF by some miracle this team was able to play 48 minutes like they are TRULY CAPABLE OF, then I honestly believe we have a good chance at going far in the playoffs. But thats one of the problems?

:(

Austin_Toros
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
"The real spurs"
It hurts a bit to read that.

Spursfan 87
02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
The Hornets series took a lot from the Spurs that year, i think that if we had HCA, that series would had been over in 5 games, and maybe we could had a better series against the lakers.

timtonymanu
02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
it really does suck to know this is the end. i really wanted to see timmy get his 5th to be ahead of shaq and kobe and see dice get his first ring. it seems like the only two teams that will win a title are the cavs and lakers which sadly has both shaq and kobe.

btw i hope we trade rj as early as we can next season, i really have no respect for that guy.

trypldubl
02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
The front office messed up back after the '03 championship by not re-signing Jack. Yes by signing him, he would have put us over the cap but I firmly believe that having Jack on this squad would have at least brought us one maybe two more championships during this run. In '04 Hedo was not the clutch player that he is now. He played scared against the lakers that whole series.

After the '04 series, instead of re-signing Hedo, we could not go over the cap and settled with the cheaper Brent Barry. I know we had to think about Manu contract and Tony's upcoming one, but if we would have gone over the cap then things would have been different in '06. We lost two very close games in Dallas where in one Barry threw a bad in-bound pass at the end of one of those games and had disappeared in both of those game. Instead we go to a game seven and we have the infamous Manu foul. Having Jack or even still Hedo would have probably made a difference in this series. When Pop finally went small ball in the series we could have used Jack or Hedo because there size. Jack was a mavs killer ('03 and '07 playoffs) and Hedo might have been coming into his own. People would have said that having one or the other would have hindered manu's growth, but manu would have been fine. All he cared or cares about is winning. He would have adjusted and maybe stayed healthy with less playing time.

At the time as a spurs fan, I was really hoping that the front office would push Holt to have spent a little more and bite the bullet for a few years. Call me a greedy fan but I always wanted for our team to have a back to back championship. We could have possibly won 5 in a row. Then all this kobe and the lakers talk about player of the decade and team of the decade would not be a topic. Then maybe spurs fans would be content with a declining team and would welcome a team ready to rebuild. I know it's the past but it still irks me now and then like the Scola trade.

Obstructed_View
02-05-2010, 06:31 PM
In previous years, the Spurs were in second or third place due to their ability to close out games, and their point differential indicated that they really weren't as good as their record. The exact opposite is true this year, which indicates to me that they really aren't far from being an excellent team. They make poor decisions, they don't play well as a team, their adjustments, rotations, and shot selections - particularly in the 4th quarter - are abysmal.

None of those things are impossible, or even difficult, to fix before the end of the season. What dooms the team, I fear, is that there's an unwillingness to go back to the drawing board, which is what's required. There's too much blame, resentment, and pride involved, and more than I've ever seen on a Spurs team since I've been a fan. That's going to be an impediment to their ability to contend for a championship, and will likely have them fighting for a playoff spot on a team with much higher aspirations.

slayermin
02-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Boy, the eulogies are being written and we haven't picked out a casket yet.

Fuck all the haters. I still believe.

poop
02-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Boy, the eulogies are being written and we haven't picked out a casket yet.

Fuck all the haters. I still believe.

its over man. im still gonna watch the games cause im still a fan, but even if by some miracle half the team grew some balls, motivation, and killer instinct, we would still be stuck with Popazit, and that means DOOMZ by way of all- 6-7 lineups, zero defense lineups, random perma-benching, etc...

rascal
02-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Only after the 2007 title did the spurs try to win with most of tht core team together. They replaced role players with other role players and every other year it was enough. But then that window closed and getting role players wasn't good enough anymore when the Lakers made the big Gasol trade.