PDA

View Full Version : Should SA be proud to be on this list?

JudynTX
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Fresno, Calif., tops Men's Health magazine's list of America's "drunkest" cities while Boston, home to the "Cheers" bar where everyone knows your name, was deemed the "least drunk," besting even Salt Lake City.

The magazine, which will publish the list of 100 major cities in i's March edition, drew upon such data as death rates from alcoholic liver disease, booze-fueled car crashes, frequency of binge-drinking in the past month, number of DUI arrests, and severity of DUI penalties.

"Drunkest" cities:

1 Fresno, Calif.
2 Reno, Nev.
3 Billings, Mont.
4 Riverside, Calif.
5 Austin
6 St. Louis
7 San Antonio
8 Lubbock, Texas
9 Tucson
10 Bakersfield, Calif.

"Least drunk" cities:

1 Boston - yeah right
2 Yonkers, N.Y.
3 Rochester, N.Y.
4 Salt Lake City
5 Miami
6 Newark
7 Durham, N.C.
8 New York City
9 Fort Wayne, Ind.
10 Manchester, N.H.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/02/fresno-calif--tops-list-of-drunkest-us-cities-boston-is-last/1

I. Hustle
02-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I have lived in two of the top 10.

Dex
02-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Go Austin!

clambake
02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
no way el paso didn't make the drunk list.

Shelly
02-05-2010, 04:57 PM
First on the fattest list and now the drunkest list?

Drunk, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life, son...

panic giraffe
02-05-2010, 05:00 PM
this bullshit, and i am outraged!!!!!!

we should be number 1 dammit!

for the sake of jeebus, we shut down the city for two weeks a year just to get drunk, and that doesn't even include our everyday drunkenness.

at the very least we should be above that fascist hippie enclave up north, but this list is bullshit. isn't lubbock dry?

clambake
02-05-2010, 05:02 PM
this bullshit, and i am outraged!!!!!!

we should be number 1 dammit!

for the sake of jeebus, we shut down the city for two weeks a year just to get drunk, and that doesn't even include our everyday drunkenness.

at the very least we should be above that fascist hippie enclave up north, but this list is bullshit. isn't lubbock dry?

lubbock is dry?

what the hell is wrong with that state?

CuckingFunt
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Considering that neither Vegas nor New Orleans made the list, I can't help but be skeptical of their methods.

Shelly
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
and Miami being on the least drunk list--Isn't Miami known for their clubs?

BlackSwordsMan
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
god bless it's friday it's time to show the world we're #1

tlongII
02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Considering that neither Vegas nor New Orleans made the list, I can't help but be skeptical of their methods.

ditto

Al Koholik
02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Well I am doing my damndest to single handidly steer Boston in the right direction. Either that or I will just move to mufuggin SA. Hey Pancho pass me a servayza.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
From the looks of the criteria a better title would have been "Most Dangerous Places to Get Drunk".

Places like New Orleans and Vegas, where certainly there's plenty of binge drinking, are places where people go with the intent of getting fucked up. People go there and either get hotels within walking distances to the bars or with plans for a taxi. Likewise they are places that rely heavily on out of town party people so it seems likely that cops and judges aren't pushed to throw the book at drunk drivers.

As for Boston I can only assume that the DUI arrest and punishment numbers are low because no police officer wants to risk pulling over a swerving car and find out there's a Kennedy behind the wheel. That could be a career killer.

CuckingFunt
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
From the looks of the criteria a better title would have been "Most Dangerous Places to Get Drunk".

Places like New Orleans and Vegas, where certainly there's plenty of binge drinking, are places where people go with the intent of getting fucked up. People go there and either get hotels within walking distances to the bars or with plans for a taxi. Likewise they are places that rely heavily on out of town party people so it seems likely that cops and judges aren't pushed to throw the book at drunk drivers.

As for Boston I can only assume that the DUI arrest and punishment numbers are low because no police officer wants to risk pulling over a swerving car and find out there's a Kennedy behind the wheel. That could be a career killer.

My first instinct was that it may also be due to the fact that Vegas, New Orleans, and a few other party cities that didn't make the list have either no open container laws or lax open container laws, but it doesn't look as though open container violations were taken into consideration as part of the criteria.

The pedestrian nature of alcohol heavy vacation spots would certainly make sense, though I can't help but think that makes the whole list a pretty big waste of time.

Slydragon
02-05-2010, 07:35 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1727112

http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1727116

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM

That's what I was thinking as well. Lubbock, TX??? Please!

redraiderinfiji
02-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Lubbock, Texas...............I am not surprised in the least about that, being I went to school there. There's really nothing to do there but get blasted drunk. But I have to say that Lubbock has some of the hottest college girls you will ever see! Unfortunately, stds are might put Lubbock in the "top std cities". Thank god I never got the gift that keeps on giving.

IceColdBrewski
02-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I did my part.

blkroadrunners
02-07-2010, 06:20 AM
First on the fattest list and now the drunkest list?

Drunk, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life, son...

I read somewhere that SA's one of the most, or the most stingiest city in America as well for one year.

Lil' Jon
02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
"Drunkest" cities:

1 Fresno, Calif. What?
2 Reno, Nev. Yaayyuuhhh!!!
3 Billings, Mont. What??
4 Riverside, Calif. Okay!
5 Austin Yaaayyyuhhhhhh!!!!!!!
6 St. Louis Yaaaayuhhh!!!!
7 San Antonio Okay!!
8 Lubbock, Texas What?
9 Tucson What?
10 Bakersfield, Calif. What?

"Least drunk" cities:

1 Boston - What?
2 Yonkers, N.Y. Yeah!
3 Rochester, N.Y. Okay!
4 Salt Lake City Yaaayyyyuhhh!!!!
5 Miami WHAT?
6 Newark What?
7 Durham, N.C. Okaaaayyyy!!
8 New York City WHAT?
9 Fort Wayne, Ind. Yaayyuhhh!!!
10 Manchester, N.H. Okay!

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Miami?? are you shitting me?

Fillmoe
02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
the fact that santa cruz and sf aint on that list.. is shocking

The Reckoning
02-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Texas knows how to party.

JudynTX
02-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I wonder if it's because of Fiesta? :lol

Leetonidas
02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Boston being #1 on least drunk makes this list complete bullshit.

Big P
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Why would we be proud about that shit?

baseline bum
02-07-2010, 03:17 PM

:lmao

baseline bum
02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Why would we be proud about that shit?

No shit. Only getting #7 is terrible.

spursncowboys
02-07-2010, 03:50 PM
There was a point a few years ago where bexar county sold the most beer per 1000000 people. so i guess we are slippin. Come on guys. I can't do it by myself.