PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a sore throat that lasted 3+ weeks?

td4mvp21
02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
On January 15th (a Friday), I developed a sore throat. I had a headache that day and a stomache ache over the weekend (those were my only other symptoms). I thought it was just a virus and stayed in bed all weekend. It didn't go away by the next Tuesday, so I went to the doctor. I got on an antibiotic (the next day, Wednesday, I had a mild fever for about half the day); my throat seemed to get better on Thursday and Friday, although it never went away. On that Saturday, it started to come back pretty close to how it was, and by Monday it was back. So I went back to the doctor the following Wednesday, and got prescribed another antibiotic. This one seemed to help as well, even more so than the first; this past Monday, it did not even hurt except for a very, very dull pain on the right side of my throat. I thought it was done; yet, again, it came back this past Tuesday so I went to the doctor on Thursday. They did a strep and mono test, both came back negative. My glands are not swollen. I have not had any other symptoms for over two weeks except a sore throat. The doctor looked at my throat and stated that my tonsils were not swollen, there was no puss, no white spots, etc. I can see that it is still a shade of red (which probably explains why it still hurts). They basically said to gargle and do saline spray, and see an ENT if it doesn't go away in another week.

So, has anyone had a similar experience? It's been three weeks and I'm wondering when the hell this is going to go away. I would rate the pain ranging from mild to moderate (on a scale from 1-10, anywhere from a 1-5). And the pain has moved around - it has gone from my left side, to my right side, and right now its in the back of my throat. I have been gargling with warm salt water since Thursday three times a day and have been doing saline spray three times a day as well. I take vitamin supplements regularly and have been getting plenty of sleep and not doing anything outside of school/work. The gargling has seemed to help, as the sides of my throat no longer hurt.

I do not think it is anything serious - I looked at symptoms of throat cancer and have none of the symptoms - no lumps, no bloody mucus/saliva, etc. It's really just my throat - no cough, no nausea, no excessive congestion (although I am somewhat congested), no fever, no swollen lymph nodes. Physically, I feel as healthy as one can despite having a sore throat. I do not feel ill. However, I am concerned as it has been three weeks.

Fillmoe
02-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Get yourself some Cepacol sore throat lozenges to stop some of the pain.

do you have a history of allergies? post nasal drip?

td4mvp21
02-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I'll have to go get some.

And no real history of allergies, although I could possibly be allergic to dust. I thought about post nasal drip - definitely a possibility.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds like cedar fever to me.

Either that or an STD... been muff diving strangers lately? :lol

Seriously though, cedar fever (severe allergy to cedar pollen) kicked the shit out of me last time I was in SA. Did your sore throat coincide with a burst of warm weather in mid-winter?

mrsmaalox
02-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I thought about post nasal drip too. You can try gargling with a tsp. of salt and a tsp. of baking soda dissolved in half a glass of warm water. It'll dissolve the slime running down the back of your throat and reroute it out your nose where it should be coming out anyway. Then the sore pathway down your throat can heal.

td4mvp21
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Sounds like cedar fever to me.

I looked that up; I live in Corpus Christi and that's 2 hours south of San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country, so could that still even be a cause?

td4mvp21
02-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I thought about post nasal drip too. You can try gargling with a tsp. of salt and a tsp. of baking soda dissolved in half a glass of warm water. It'll dissolve the slime running down the back of your throat and reroute it out your nose where it should be coming out anyway. Then the sore pathway down your throat can heal.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it. I'm up for anything, I'm really sick of it :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
I looked that up; I live in Corpus Christi and that's 2 hours south of San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country, so could that still even be a cause?

Are there cedar trees where you are? The pollen could also travel long distances.

Go and get one of those allergy tests to find out.

Twisted_Dawg
02-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Are you by chance allegric to some medication you may be taking?

I had that bad ass cold that lasted 2 weeks culiminating with massive nasal congestion with drained into my chest. I took Mucinex very heavily and got and inflammation of my inner mouth and hive like feelings around my lips. I looked it up on the net and several people had all kinds of weird problems, including the ones I had.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Woke up this morning hung over as shit with the worst sore throat I've had in years. I think it's just the season.

td4mvp21
02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Are there cedar trees where you are? The pollen could also travel long distances.

Go and get one of those allergy tests to find out.

Honestly not sure, sad as that sounds. I may do an allergy test.

Are you by chance allegric to some medication you may be taking?

I had that bad ass cold that lasted 2 weeks culiminating with massive nasal congestion with drained into my chest. I took Mucinex very heavily and got and inflammation of my inner mouth and hive like feelings around my lips. I looked it up on the net and several people had all kinds of weird problems, including the ones I had.

I don't think so; I've taken everything I have been taking before, sans the first antibiotic. I am actually taking Mucinex right now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-07-2010, 01:12 AM
I had cedar fever so bad that I ended up with bronchitis, coughing up blood. The sore throat was so severe that breathing hurt, and swallowing was torture.

Bad shit, that cedar pollen.

argginmanuoblifaniac
02-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Going from indoors to outdoors when it's really cold outside can cause a sore throat if you aren't used to it. Has it been unusually cold in Corpus this winter?

Blake
02-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it. I'm up for anything, I'm really sick of it :lol

I had a 9th grade science teacher mention one time to gargle with the 21% alcohol mouthwash if you ever feel the onset of it.

it's worked for me over the years....

admiralsnackbar
02-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Corpus gets hit pretty hard, according to this site:

http://www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Take a teaspoon full of honey and squeeze some lemon juice on it..then hold it over the stove untill it barely starts to bubble.
Let it cool down a bit cause the spoons gonna be hella hot and swallow it... not only does it taste amazing.. but will help your sore throat

Your Welcome.

ynh
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Blah.. cold in texas lol.. you southern people are pussys when it comes to weather.

Heath Ledger
02-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Sounds like you have Herpes in the throat your effed.

SpursFanFirst
02-08-2010, 06:05 AM
do you have a history of allergies? post nasal drip?

Very good question for you, TD.
I suffer from both of these things, and have a mild sore throat often.

If you're still concerned, which is understandable, I'd take your doctor's advice and see an ENT. There's nothing wrong with getting another opinion from someone with that specialty.

You know your body better than anyone, and doctors aren't always right. It's OK to ask for another opinion.

SpursFanFirst
02-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Interesting. I've heard of gargling with salt water, but never the part about baking soda. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip, MM!

Bukefal
02-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Yup, just drink tea with honey regularly or St John's wort tea.

David Bowie
02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
It could be mono. That's one of it's most common symptoms, and the soar throat usually lasts for a while.

RandomGuy
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
The right side of your throat hurts because you probably sleep on your right side, and your slow nasal drip is going down that side of your throat, carrying with it allergens that are inflaming your throat.

The best solution is to do the following:

1) Stop drinking coffee (tea is ok in small amounts if you need caffeine)
2) Stop drinking any alcohol.
3) Take some fairly heavy duty antihistimines.

Claritin 24-hours usually does it for me. This is a strong stimulant, so you MUST take it in the morning, and if you drink coffee, scale that waaaaay back at the very least if you don't want your heart to explode.

Do this for about 3 to 5 days to let your throat fully heal and recover, and it will go away.

My allergies were made a bit worse because I started rather long commutes in the car, and the pollution from that is not good for your throat. I had a high mileage car which probably didn't help much.

remingtonbo2001
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Sambucus

ATRAIN
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I never have but I give I.Hustle's mom a Sore throat every night.

I. Hustle
02-11-2010, 02:04 PM
i used to have one every time i blew my dad but now i put a lozenge in my mouth while i gobble his cawk.

tmi

ATRAIN
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
tmi

:lmao

Dr. Gonzo
02-11-2010, 02:27 PM
You have AIDS.

I. Hustle
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
http://drinkamericanale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/aids.jpg

phxspurfan
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah I had one of those about a month ago. First it was a normal cold but then I developed a sinus infection. Antibiotics are your friend.

mavs>spurs2
02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
One time Blake had a sore throat that lasted a whole month because he refused to listen to the doctor's recommendations and stop sucking cock long enough to let it heal. True story

David Bowie
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
A persistant soar throat is also a sign o throat ghonorea.