PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Hot Hill ignites Spurs' blowout

duncan228
02-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Hot Hill ignites Spurs' blowout (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Pop_says_Bowen_no_cure-all.html)
Jeff McDonald

LOS ANGELES — Before George Hill left for the summer following his rookie season with the Spurs, his coaches sent him home to Indianapolis with quite a going away present.

It was a stat sheet that showed he had been one of the team’s worst open jump shooters that year. That realization had a profound impact on Hill.

“They always say numbers don’t lie,” Hill said. “I knew I could make those shots. It was just a confidence thing, second-guessing it. I saw a lot of that when I watched film in the summer.”

There was no second-guessing what Hill did in Saturday’s 98-81 clobbering of the Clippers at the Staples Center.

Hill scored 22 points on 8-of-11 shooting — including 17 in the first quarter that were the most by a Spurs player in a single quarter this season — to set the fuse on the rout.

It would have been a career high for Hill, except he had scored 23 in a victory at Sacramento two games before.

“This year, I’m just trying to shoot it with confidence,” Hill said.

Tony Parker added 14 points and a season-high 14 assists for the Spurs, who led by as many as 31 in the second half.

The Spurs (29-20) improved to 2-1 on their annual rodeo trip, which resumes in the same building Monday against the Lakers.

Hill’s hard work in the summertime — which often included three sessions a day in his old gym at Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis — paid off handsomely again Saturday.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich calls Hill, the 26th overall pick in the 2008 draft, “probably the most improved player in the whole league.”

Hill is averaging 11 points this season and 15.3 as a starter. Asked what the second-year guard has improved specifically, Popovich rattled off a list that only began with shooting.

“Every place,” Popovich said. “Jump shot. Confidence. Knowledge of the pick and roll. Three-point shot. Awareness of what’s going on on the court. Everything. He’s a hell of a player.”

Hill’s fast start essentially ruined Kim Hughes’ debut as the Clippers’ interim coach. Preparing for his first game in place of Mike Dunleavy, who stepped away from the bench Thursday, Hughes said he couldn’t bear to view film of the Spurs’ first visit to the Staples Center this season, a Dec. 13 game the Clippers lost 115-90.

“When we were down 31 in the fourth quarter, I decided to turn it off,” Hughes said.

Instead, Hughes watched the sequel Saturday. Hill was responsible for most of the déjà vu, hitting 6 of 7 shots and three 3-pointers during a first quarter that saw the Spurs race to a 28-10 lead.

The 10 points the Clippers managed were the fewest the Spurs had allowed in a quarter this season. Likewise, the 27 L.A. scored before intermission was the fewest the Spurs had yielded in a half.

The Clippers walked off the court at the half, behind 49-27, to a chorus of boos.

Before the game, Popovich praised Hill as the team’s most consistent player this season outside of perennial All-Star Tim Duncan. That’s the main reason Hill has remained in the starting lineup at shooting guard, even after Parker came back to reclaim the point guard slot.

“He’s given us the most for the minutes, so we think he needs to be on the floor,” Popovich said.

His ability to toggle between point and shooting guard helps keep Hill there. So does his blue-collar approach to the game.

At times, it is as if he’s still back in that sweltering high school gym in Indianapolis, trying to earn his NBA stripes. Hill’s hard work has paid off, but it also never ends.

“I’m still learning,” Hill said. “That’s the best thing, knowing you’re not as good as you can be.”

My Fault
02-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Hill deserves all the praise he's getting.. He has really stepped it up this year.

timtonymanu
02-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Hill's hot shooting in the first put this game away pretty fast. Props to him! Now beat the real LA.

ElNono
02-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Georgie should have saved some of those for the Lakers. Althought I expect him to be in foul trouble 3 minutes into the game guarding Kome...

Ice009
02-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Great game from Hill. I would have liked to have seen him get the ball even more though after that start so he can get over his career high and gain more confidence and momentum.

Man In Black
02-07-2010, 03:38 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cllippers-spurs7-2010feb07,0,6616977.story

Kim Hughes said he hoped the Clippers would play hard for him Saturday night in his first game as interim coach.

And for the most part, most of them did.

Now if he could only get them to play well.

Because while the Clippers were looking for a new beginning under their new coach, what they got instead was a stale replay of the kind of inconsistent performances they got far too often under old coach Mike Dunleavy.

And the result was familiar too -- a 98-81 defeat by San Antonio at Staples Center, the Clippers' 15th straight loss to the Spurs and their sixth in seven games overall.

"It wasn't a whole lot of fun," Hughes said.

The Clippers looked awful from the start, scoring just 10 points in a first quarter in which they made just four of 19 field-goal attempts.

Hughes promised his Clippers would run. And they tried, getting 16 points off their fastbreak.

But he also said they would play smarter and shoot better, and they did neither, getting whistled for two technical fouls and turning the ball over 21 times, leading to 31 Spurs points.

Hughes had said before the game that anything over 14 turnovers was unacceptable. The Clippers had that many by halftime, when they trailed, 49-27. The 27 first-half points were a season low and by then the crowd of 18,258 was booing -- not the kind of welcome the Clippers had hoped for in their first home game in nearly three weeks.

"We turned the ball over way too many times," Hughes said. "We can only blame ourselves. I think we're a work in progress. The running is clearly a project we've got to work on."

Guard George Hill did most of the damage for the Spurs, scoring a game-high 22 points, with 17 of those coming in the first 12 minutes when he was being guarded by Baron Davis.

Chris Kaman led the Clippers with 21 points, one more than Eric Gordon.

And while Hughes remains committed to his new offense, he conceded that the Clippers may not have the ballhandling skills necessary to run it.

"That was somewhat exposed tonight," he said. "We played poorly. We shot the ball poorly and when we shot the ball poorly, we got down. It's something we've got to work on and we've got to correct."

But there were some bright spots for the Clippers. They outrebounded the Spurs, 42-41, for example. They also held San Antonio to 43% shooting for the game, and they outscored the Spurs, 54-49, in the second half.

But then, no Spurs starter played as many as 30 minutes, with Tim Duncan sitting out all but five minutes of the second half.

"The adjustment we want to make and the way we want to play now by pushing the ball more is going to require a lot of instincts out there. And it's just going to take us some time," said Davis, who had a rough night in his debut as Hughes' quarterback on the court, turning the ball over eight times while scoring only eight points in 28 minutes.

"It was just one of those games where they whipped us up. And we just showed signs of fatigue. But I'm very confident that we're going to win games playing this way," Davis continued. "You can call it a wake-up call, you can call it whatever you want. We just have to turn the page. It's got to be quick, though."

[email protected]

Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
could hill be parker's successor? duh-duh-duh!

spurtech09
02-07-2010, 02:10 PM
hill had a great game lastnight....keep it up hill

all_heart
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Hill is fun to watch, he's got a good all around game. Makes you wonder what he could of gave us last year if given the chance from the beginning.

xtremesteven33
02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Im not ready just yet to jump on George's bandwagon. Hes got great potential and is playing great but lets see how he does this Monday against the big boys...

TMTTRIO
02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
could hill be parker's successor? duh-duh-duh
No but I see him as Manu's successor starting next year and him continuing to play alongside Tony as a SG.

crc21209
02-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Hill's corner 3 was MONEY last night, but the game before in Portland, it sucked :td....wtf!?!