PDA

View Full Version : Mona-vie

robino2001
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
With the brainwashed/hard work threads this week...

Anyone use/try/sell/involved in this Mona-Vie juice stuff?

I'd never really looked to much into it until recently, but a couple of family members of mine have imbibed the figurative kool-aid and are pushing this stuff onto the rest of their family. I've seen the ads on cars, online, etc, but mainly ignored it. I've done a lot of reading up on it all the last few days and essentially have concluded it's a typical pyramid scheme selling a placebo with no real medical/nutritional value (according to the FDA) and it's impressive how the corporation has gotten around the guidelines by not making any official claims themselves.

Of course it's cured peoples autism, diabetes, heart disease, etc...

Anyone here a believer?

boutons_deux
02-07-2010, 01:22 PM
It's nothing but an over-priced wine-colored scam in a Bordeaux-wine-shaped bottle as a vehicle for pyramid marketing.

Add up how much one month would cost drinking an 8 oz glass each morning.

IIRC, minimum purchase is 4 bottles for $130.

Thunder Dan
02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
it's a pyramid scheme

sa_kid20
02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
A friend of mine was trying to get me and a bunch of friends involved in this some time back. One time when we were all playing basketball he showed up with a bunch of cans of the stuff and even brought a spokesman to try to get us involved :lol. Seemed like a typical pyramid scheme and it tasted like shit.

boutons_deux
02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Another one is Amalaki, by Deepak Chopra and Ron Farley.

exstatic
02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Hint: if you can't make money selling the product, but you must recruit others to do so, it's a scam.

boutons_deux
02-07-2010, 07:08 PM
The big money in pyramid mktg is getting in early, then recruiting your down links, each of whom has to buy product from you. Then they recruit their downlinks, who must buy product, and all the uplinks get a slice. So the real action is selling product to pyramid downlinks. That's why Monavie and Amalaki have minimum purchases of $100 or more. There's LOTS of margin needed (from flavored water) to pay all the slices in the pyramid.

Of course the best is to be at the top of pyramid, where you can make tons of money.

There's a book on Amazon called something like "Your first year in network marketing". It takes a lot of upfront time and investment and many months before you get any serious payback.

samikeyp
02-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Scam.

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 01:08 AM
With the brainwashed/hard work threads this week...

Anyone use/try/sell/involved in this Mona-Vie juice stuff?

I'd never really looked to much into it until recently, but a couple of family members of mine have imbibed the figurative kool-aid and are pushing this stuff onto the rest of their family. I've seen the ads on cars, online, etc, but mainly ignored it. I've done a lot of reading up on it all the last few days and essentially have concluded it's a typical pyramid scheme selling a placebo with no real medical/nutritional value (according to the FDA) and it's impressive how the corporation has gotten around the guidelines by not making any official claims themselves.

Of course it's cured peoples autism, diabetes, heart disease, etc...

Anyone here a believer?

A good general rule to live by is if a product has to be "sold" or "pushed" to you by a biased source, 9 times out of 10 you don't really want it or need it. Word of mouth from friends, family, colleagues, teachers, or bosses who have nothing to gain from your purchase are almost universally more valuable. You just don't often see the hard sale on things that lots of people like, think are good values, and tell their friends about, because the company is likely doing well if they're getting unbiased people recommending them to those closest to them.

There are certainly exceptions to this rule: for example, a product with a short lifespan like a big-budget movie has to advertise no matter how good it is. A restaurant just opening needs to get its name out there to build an initial base.

Heath Ledger
02-08-2010, 03:13 AM
The ship has sailed on that MLM. Pass.

Ditty
02-08-2010, 03:38 AM
ha my friends were in this stuff they've gone to meetings in houston for this my friend only made $20 profit out of all of this but had to spend close to $1,000 told him it was a scam and he still doesn't want to own up to it but says if he was serious about the "business" he calls it he could of already made thousands he said....my ass

never tried the drink itself expensive as hell but heard its good

robino2001
02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Just to clarify... I'm not interested in selling the crap, drinking it, etc. I'm fully on board with it being a giant scam.

That being said, I'm dumbfounded by the people that can fall into this stuff. My family members who are doing this are fairly intelligent people that can usually see through this type of stuff. I don't know what convinced them though. We get emails from them telling us how their lives have changed and they want us to be a part of it too, blah blah blah. It's just amazing to me how quickly they've gotten sucked in to it (and I hate to see how their pre-teen kids are involved in it too, blindly following). I don't want to even say anything to them about it because I'm sure it'd turn into me calling them morons, but I'd love to know how much money they've dumped in and how much they've gotten in return. I know their downstream people are pretty much all of their family and no one else but they're doing the weekly tastings, weekly distributor meetings, etc.