PDA

View Full Version : Dick Jeffersons rebounds per minute

Fabbs
02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
For qualifying forwards (and if anyone can tell us where NBA.com states what is "qualifying" but I'm assuming it's something like 25 min per game)....
Amoung 76 qualifying forwards, Dicks 5.6 boards per 48 is
73rd of 76

Amoung all forwards irregardless of minutes played, Dick is
154th of 169
:wow :wow

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?season=22009&league=00&conf=OVERALL&qualified=Y&position=2&splitType=9&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All+Teams&pager.offset=50

Mister Sinister
02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
For qualifying forwards (and if anyone can tell us where NBA.com states what is "qualifying" but I'm assuming it's something like 25 min per game)....
73rd of 76

154th of 169

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?season=22009&league=00&conf=OVERALL&qualified=Y&position=2&splitType=9&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All+Teams&pager.offset=50
Wouldn't "irregardless" mean that....ahh, screw it.

Agloco
02-07-2010, 04:26 PM
73rd of 76

154th of 169

This tends to happen when the guy boxing you out is 7 feet tall and you're 6'7".

Fabbs
02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
This tends to happen when the guy boxing you out is 7 feet tall and you're 6'7".
But it does not happen the 90% of the leagues other small forwards who rank ahead of Dick because?

Agloco
02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
But it does not happen the 90% of the leagues other small forwards who rank ahead of Dick because?

Because........they actually play small forward? See my example above.

Fabbs
02-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Because........they actually play small forward? See my example above.
Uh, Blair is 6'7" and aves 17.2 boards per 48.
Are you whining for Dick and justifying his 73rd of 76th place standing because Poop runs him out in small balls and thus he is essentially playing PF a part of the time?

exstatic
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Uh, Blair is 6'7" and aves 17.2 boards per 48.
Are you whining for Dick and justifying his 73rd of 76th place standing because Poop runs him out in small balls and thus he is essentially playing PF a part of the time?

Blair is 265 lbs, has a 7'2" wingspan, and an ass the size of a small truck. Not the same thing at all.

And I thought your list said qualifying forwards, not small forwards? Whichever it is, he's still a VAST improvement over Bowen in rebounding.

DPG21920
02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I am not comparing RJ to Bowen, because RJ should be a better rebounder than Bowen. RJ's rebounding has been a disappointment to me, but the Spurs are still a good rebounding team without that.

Everything else has been disappointing though, especially his defense. When he is focused, you can see that he can still bring it, but those moments are too few and far between. His offense is not that bad and he takes mostly good shots. Problem is though that he is terrible at getting into a rhythm and picking his time to attack. Plus, he seemingly misses a lot of good looks. His FT shooting has been atrocious as well.

I am not off the band wagon, but I am very alarmed.

SCdac
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Eh, look at the other players who are rebounding at about the same rate. Pietrus, Battier, Pierce, Diaw, etc. I would take any one of those players on the Spurs. It's not rebounding that's the problem with Jefferson (who has played alot of minutes with those rebounding machines wearing #45 and #21) it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have truly bought in to our defense yet (imo) and just goes through the motions (not rotating enough or at all, giving up on plays that look over and looking to run the break, not thinking 1 or 2 steps ahead, etc). I wouldn't give him an "F" on defense so far, but something like a "C" at best.

Blackjack
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
The problem with RJ is, the Spurs believed he could come in and be a glue guy and fill the gaps with an all-around game; a young RJ was something they hoped he could revert to.

But that's just not who he is or has been since he started receiving star status. He was never as good a defender as he's been billed, not even when he started with the Nets, and after surgeries and years of picking up bad habits, he's nowhere near the decent defender or all-around player he was in his younger days.

He's not particularly intelligent or savvy as a ball player; his attention to detail is clearly lacking and can be witnessed by his on-court play and newly found goatee; and if he's not getting out in the open court or being catered to offensively, he's basically useless (he looks like a multifaceted player but he's become a one-trick pony).

On this team and in this offense, he's just never going to fit. He's a slasher by nature, so the spacing's not all that great with a post presence and a paint-living point, and he's not the relentless driver to the cup that a guy like Maggette is; force the guy left and he's stopping no closer than the free-throw line for a jumper because he can't turn the corner.

So when you boil it all down, the Spurs are paying $14M for a guy to shoot spot-up threes, play an overall tenative game offensively and play some uninspired, ineffective, defense on the perimeter.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like RJ as a fit...

timvp
02-07-2010, 06:03 PM

According to 82games.com, RJ averages 5.7 rebounds per 48 minutes when he plays SF. When he's at PF, he averages 5.7 rebounds per 48 minutes.

That tells me two things. First of all, he's a disappointing rebounder no matter how you want to frame it. Second of all, he's a disaster as a small ball power forward. If you aren't going to raise your rebounding rate at all even though you switch to a position that demands rebounding, something is wrong.

As sad as it is, I'd rather see today's Michael Finley play small ball power forward than RJ.

xtremesteven33
02-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Why doesnt Pop just bench this guy. Bring his ass off the bench...

timvp
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
And I thought your list said qualifying forwards, not small forwards? Whichever it is, he's still a VAST improvement over Bowen in rebounding.

Actually, not at all. RJ gets 6.9% of available rebounds. Bowen would get about 6% of available rebounds. In fact, as recently as 2006, Bowen was also grabbing 6.9% of available rebounds.

Add in the fact that Bowen was typically glued to an opposing perimeter player and never even tried to get offensive rebounds ... and one could very easily make the case that Bowen was the better rebounder. Pitiful, I know.

timvp
02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
The aspect I hate most about RJ's lack of rebounding is that his effort on the boards is tied to the number of touches he gets. In games that he shoots more than 10 times, he averages a very respectable 5.5 rebounds per game. But in all other contests, he averages an embarrassing 2.6 rebounds per game.

That's just flat out sickening. And there's really no excuse. The coaching staff has been begging him to rebound more but he just doesn't rebound unless he's involved offensively. That's unbelievably lame.

SCdac
02-07-2010, 06:27 PM
In the last three seasons he averaged 4.4 rebounds in like 37 minutes per game. Last season he had 3 boards or less in at least a dozen games, at least. I hope nobody was expecting a monster on the boards in RJ... I'd actually like to see who of all the Spurs has pulled down the most boards in 4th quarters. While I'm sure it's not RJ, I don't think he's been that bad on "important" rebounds... If any stat surprises me the most it's the fact that Jefferson is tied for 3rd in total blocks for our team... We really need another big, or at least start nudging Ratliff into the regular rotation.

hitmanyr2k
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Actually, not at all. RJ gets 6.9% of available rebounds. Bowen would get about 6% of available rebounds. In fact, as recently as 2006, Bowen was also grabbing 6.9% of available rebounds.

Add in the fact that Bowen was typically glued to an opposing perimeter player and never even tried to get offensive rebounds ... and one could very easily make the case that Bowen was the better rebounder. Pitiful, I know.

Let's not sugarcoat it. I don't care what "percentages" you bring out. Bruce Bowen sucked ass on the boards and that's the bottom line :lol

timvp
02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Let's not sugarcoat it. I don't care what "percentages" you bring out. Bruce Bowen sucked ass on the boards and that's the bottom line :lol

Naturally. I'm not saying Bowen was a good rebounder, I'm showing how bad of a rebounder RJ has been this season.

Muser
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Bruce got a free pass for his outstanding D, if Jefferson was at least more aggresive on Offense/Defense then I wouldn't mind his poor rebounding.

hitmanyr2k
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Bruce got a free pass for his outstanding D, if Jefferson was at least more aggresive on Offense/Defense then I wouldn't mind his poor rebounding.

That's a bit hypocritical. You can't give Bowen a pass for not rebounding the ball because of defense when rebounding is APART of defense. You're not done defending until you rebound the ball. There have been many times where the Spurs got KILLED on the boards because their SF was garbage in that aspect of the game but I didn't see anyone calling Bruce out for it. You can make that excuse that Bowen was sticking to his man 100% of the time but that excuse is just plain awful.

Booharv
02-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Funny thing is Jefferson used to be a tremendous rebounder for a small forward. His rebound rate was among the league leaders at SF (usually 10+, which is fantastic) then all of sudden he stopped rebounding in 06-07 and hasn't looked back.

timvp
02-07-2010, 07:19 PM
There have been many times where the Spurs got KILLED on the boards because their SF was garbage

Fail. The Spurs were an elite defensive rebounding team in each year of Bowen's career. They were top three just about every season.

When Bowen's lack of rebounding killed the Spurs was when he was at power forward. However, that was just as much an issue with small ball as it was with Bowen being a weak rebounder. When he was at SF, the Spurs never had problem rebounding. Where are you getting that from?

TinTin
02-07-2010, 07:27 PM
his attention to detail is clearly lacking and can be witnessed by his on-court play and newly found goatee;

I am disappointing by jefferson too but whaaaa

Muser
02-07-2010, 07:30 PM
That's a bit hypocritical. You can't give Bowen a pass for not rebounding the ball because of defense when rebounding is APART of defense. You're not done defending until you rebound the ball. There have been many times where the Spurs got KILLED on the boards because their SF was garbage in that aspect of the game but I didn't see anyone calling Bruce out for it. You can make that excuse that Bowen was sticking to his man 100% of the time but that excuse is just plain awful.

What? Bowen was the best perimeter defender of the last decade and was a big part of one of the best defensive teams in the history of the NBA. My point was that Bowen made up for his weak rebounding and weak offensive game by shutting down the opponents best perimeter player. Also as timvp said a lot of the times he was guarding a big (Dirk etc.) and so naturally he would lose the rebound.

hitmanyr2k
02-07-2010, 07:46 PM
What? Bowen was the best perimeter defender of the last decade and was a big part of one of the best defensive teams in the history of the NBA. My point was that Bowen made up for his weak rebounding and weak offensive game by shutting down the opponents best perimeter player. Also as timvp said a lot of the times he was guarding a big (Dirk etc.) and so naturally he would lose the rebound.

Scottie Pippen was the best perimeter defender of the 90's and was a big part of some great defensive teams as well. He guarded players of all positions and still found a way to pull down 7-9 boards a game even with a ton of offensive responsibilities as well. Bruce Bowen didn't do half the shit on defense that Pippen did and still couldn't manage at least 5 boards being a 6'7 guy? That excuse isn't flying. Rebounding takes effort and can anyone really say Bowen ever made an effort to hit the boards even when they were really needed?

hitmanyr2k
02-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Fail. The Spurs were an elite defensive rebounding team in each year of Bowen's career. They were top three just about every season.

When Bowen's lack of rebounding killed the Spurs was when he was at power forward. However, that was just as much an issue with small ball as it was with Bowen being a weak rebounder. When he was at SF, the Spurs never had problem rebounding. Where are you getting that from?

Just because the Spurs were statistically a good rebounding team doesn't mean they didn't get their clocks cleaned in a playoff series by a tough rebounding team. And yes part of the reason was because small ball was employed stupidly by Popovich but does that mean Bruce Bowen still can't come up with a big rebounding game? The Mavs series in 2006 comes to mind. The Mavs seem to get to every loose ball and offensive rebound during that series. Bruce Bowen wasn't making any kind of effort whatsoever to defensive rebound and he wasn't on Dirk 24/7 so that's no excuse.

timvp
02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Scottie Pippen was the best perimeter defender of the 90's and was a big part of some great defensive teams as well. He guarded players of all positions and still found a way to pull down 7-9 boards a game even with a ton of offensive responsibilities as well. Bruce Bowen didn't do half the shit on defense that Pippen did and still couldn't manage at least 5 boards being a 6'7 guy? That excuse isn't flying. Rebounding takes effort and can anyone really say Bowen ever made an effort to hit the boards even when they were really needed?

Bowen isn't as good as a Hall of Famer who is one of the best 50 players of all-time?

Shocking revelation.

timvp
02-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Just because the Spurs were statistically a good rebounding team doesn't mean they didn't get their clocks cleaned in a playoff series by a tough rebounding team.Name one in which the poor rebounding can't be attributed to small ball.

The Mavs seem to get to every loose ball and offensive rebound during that series.That's what happens when one team is playing a big lineup and the other one is playing small ball. You said that Bowen at SF hurt the Spurs rebounding-wise. The 2006 Mavs series doesn't apply to that theory.

Bruce Bowen wasn't making any kind of effort whatsoever to defensive rebound and he wasn't on Dirk 24/7 so that's no excuse.The Spurs outrebounded the Mavs in that series when they weren't using small ball. And it wasn't a matter of a lack of effort. Dirk was just a much better rebounder that Bowen. Dirk was taller, stronger, more athletic, more adept to playing in the paint, etc. Expecting Bowen to compete against Dirk on the boards was simply a poor coaching move.

hitmanyr2k
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Bowen isn't as good as a Hall of Famer who is one of the best 50 players of all-time?

Shocking revelation.

To rebound the basketball you don't have to be as good as a Hall of Famer :lol

It just takes effort.

ElNono
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
The aspect I hate most about RJ's lack of rebounding is that his effort on the boards is tied to the number of touches he gets. In games that he shoots more than 10 times, he averages a very respectable 5.5 rebounds per game. But in all other contests, he averages an embarrassing 2.6 rebounds per game.

Out of curiosity, what's our record when he has taken 10+ shots?

timvp
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
To rebound the basketball you don't have to be as good as a Hall of Famer :lol

It just takes effort.

:lol If only rebounding were that simple.

timvp
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Out of curiosity, what's our record when he has taken 10+ shots?

9-7 by my quick count.

ElNono
02-07-2010, 08:27 PM
9-7 by my quick count.

I was hoping that would give me more ammo to fire at Pop, but no cigar... :lol

wijayas
02-08-2010, 12:15 AM

Fail.

In comparison, Charles Barkely is 6'4".

RJ just does not give that effort required of someone making $14million a year.

Hooks
02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Fail.

In comparison, Charles Barkely is 6'4".

RJ just does not give that effort required of someone making $14million a year.

Barkley and RJ are two completely different players. Besides, Barkley was like 250lbs, just like Blair.

jdev82
02-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Blair is 265 lbs, has a 7'2" wingspan, and an ass the size of a small truck.
:lol:tu

wijayas
02-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Don't you think it is silly to compare Bruce vs. Scottie? It is like comparing MJ vs. Dirk!

wijayas
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Barkley and RJ are two completely different players. Besides, Barkley was like 250lbs, just like Blair.

Right. They are completely different players because of their efforts are different.

Muser
02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Pippen > Bowen

Who'd of thunk it?