PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Bryant, Bynum hobbled for Spurs?

duncan228
02-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Bryant, Bynum hobbled for Spurs? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/02/bryant-bynum-ho.html)
By Jeff McDonald

The Lakers' official injury report lists Kobe Bryant as questionable for Monday's game against the Spurs with his sprained ankle. It lists Andrew Bynum as doubtful with a bruised hip.

Both, technically, will be game-time decisions.

You have to think Bryant will play. It practically took an act from President Obama to get him to sit Saturday at Portland, breaking his string of 235 consecutive games played.

Bynum is another story. He suffered a hip contusion in the first half against the Trail Blazers and did not return. His absence would create a 7-foot hole in the middle of the Lakers' lineup. He was a bright spot for the Lakers in their 105-85 loss at the AT&T Center earlier this season, scoring 23 points.

It should be noted that the Spurs haven't exactly thrived against teams missing stars this season. They've lost to Denver without Carmelo Anthony, and to Portland (twice) without Brandon Roy.

One of the few injury-depleted teams the Spurs have been able to capitalize against has been the Lakers. The Spurs' 20-point win on Jan. 12 was their most lopsided since Game 6 of the 2003 Western Conference finals, and it came with Pau Gasol sidelined.

exstatic
02-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Missing "star"? Bynum is only a star in his own mind. It's also February, so Bynum being injured isn't a big surprise, either. As for Kobe, I'd rather he played.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't really care about the "measuring stick" aspect..

I just want wins, so I hope Kobe sits out, but that won't happen..

Muser
02-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Bynum is such a pussy..How many games has he sat out because some part of his body is bruised?

Supergirl
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Spurs struggle against teams with long, athletic guards. Lakers don't have any of those except Kobe, and the Spurs can handle him as well as anyone can.

Nuggets and Jazz are actually the more dangerous teams to the Spurs, I think. But the Spurs' answer should be to play better, tighter D and they have the personnel to do this come playoff time.

Muser
02-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Odom could give the spurs fits if he plays like he did against Portland, he can be a beast on the boards if he wants to and his D is very underrated. Hopefully Dyess does another good job on him.

TD 21
02-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't really care about the "measuring stick" aspect..

I just want wins, so I hope Kobe sits out, but that won't happen..

I don't think Bryant will sit out either. He clearly no longer considers the Spurs serious threats to the Lakers (I can hear it in the tone of his voice when discussing the Spurs), but he still recognizes them as the Lakers one-time rivals that eliminated them two times from the playoffs.

Bynum, on the other hand, I think will sit out, which means Ratliff will likely continue to be stapled to the bench. Blair, if he struggles in his initial rotation could get a quick hook and be done for the night. Bonner, I'd be surprised if he doesn't struggle in his initial rotation, which could mean he too is done for the night. I expect extended minutes out of Duncan and McDyess, with some of Jefferson playing the four to guard Odom and allow for the Spurs to have Parker, Ginobili and one of Hill or Bogans in (to guard Bryant) for the majority of the game.

Udokafan05
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, atleast the lakers fans will have an excuse when the Spurs kick their ass.

MaNu4Tres
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I hope both play.

If they both don't play a win doesn't help a confidence booster this team desperately needs going forward.

I'd take the win though.

Chieflion
02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
So when are the Lakers going to be healthy when the Spurs play them?

ElNono
02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll take any kind of W at this point... let's get to the playoffs and try to keep on improving... any win on the road is a good win in my book.

raspsa
02-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I hope Kobe plays, or at least starts the game. Spurs can be complacent at times when opponents aren't at full strength..

FilSpursFan
02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Bynum a star? Pleaaaase...

raspsa
02-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Maybe not a star but he played very well last timew out. He's benefited from kareem's tutoring and will be a factor in the league for years to come. "Star" is purely subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

alchemist
02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Kobe was torching the Spurs before his back injury last time, Spurs need a very quick start.

Allanon
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Laker Ron, Lamar Odom and Shannon Brown will hold the fort while Kobe and Bynum sit out this game.

No excuses.

When the Spurs lose this game, I suspect this will force their hand to make a trade.

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
i don't know how i feel about this. i want kobe and bynum in there so if the spurs win, there's no excuses.

on the other hand, SA needs every game they can get. i guess either way is fine with me as long as spurs win

Russ
02-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I hope both play.

If they both don't play a win doesn't help a confidence booster this team desperately needs going forward.

Which is why I think the "Zen Master" may sit Bynum.

Dice
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM

You add Bynum to alot of the other teams in the league and he becomes a second (or even first) option.

He looked pretty dam good against Tim D. last time they played.

I personally like him because he plays like wht I'd call a "true" center.

TJastal
02-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Spurs need this win more than the lakers, and it will show. Spurs by 5.

Shifty
02-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I love Kobe's drive and killer instinct but I have always thought he likes to "hype" minor injuries so he can come out as a warrior who plays great despite an injury. Like trying to be seen as Jordan did when he destroyed Utah in the flu-game.

If he is really hurt then he wouldn't play, if he can play at a superstar level for months while saying he is hurt then he is not really that hurt to be mentioning it.

hater
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
The Lakers' official injury report lists Kobe Bryant as questionable for Monday's game against the Spurs with his sprained ankle. It lists Andrew Bynum as doubtful with a bruised hip.

either they already making excuses or Phil's psychological BS shows how scared he is

Dex
02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
So in other words, everything is status quo for the Lakers.

raspsa
02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
So in other words, everything is status quo for the Lakers.

They're in an enviable position. Their only concern is getting everyone healthy for the POs.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't care who the hell suits up in purple and piss......I just want a Spurs win. Preferably, a boring beatdown of a win.

silverblackfan
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
So when are the Lakers going to be healthy when the Spurs play them?

We might not see a healthy Lakers team all year.
The Lakers ride those main horses hard during the season, especially Kobe. Kobe is banged up a bit but continues to play. I have said it before, but it might bite them in May.
It will be interesting if the Spurs make it to the playoffs healthier because of the Pop thinking of the post season and not letting his players push the envelope.

mingus
02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
the Spurs haven't played enough good-elite teams, or test games, this season, but i think this team is playing like they're better than, or equal to, everyone else and they know it (from a talent prespective, which they are). i want to see this team go up against the elite, because i think they're made for that. i don't think it's the right attitude to have, but it think this is the character of the team. if you look at it, RJ, Dyce, Manu, TD, TP have all had more than their fair share of post season success, and i hope i'm right when i say i think they believe they can put it together when their backs are against the wall and they have a real challenge.

rjv
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
i expect kobe to play and also to kill us.