PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Spurs' Hill ready for Bryant to play

duncan228
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Spurs' Hill ready for Bryant to play (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Hill_ready_for_Bryant_to_play.html)
Jeff McDonald

LOS ANGELES — Spurs guard George Hill is still a young pup by NBA standards, but he already has a little history going with Lakers MVP Kobe Bryant.

Sort of.

“I wouldn't say we have a history,” Hill said. “He's been in the league a long time. I'm just in my second year.”

The two have waged some memorable battles in that short time. One ended with Bryant sinking a game-clinching 3-pointer over Hill last season. Earlier this season, Hill highlighted the Spurs' 105-85 victory over the Lakers by picking Bryant's pocket and zooming for an uncontested dunk.

Whether the two can make more history together when the teams renew acquaintances tonight at Staples Center remains to be seen. Bryant, nursing a litany of injuries, sat out the Lakers' 99-82 win at Portland on Saturday, breaking an ironman string of 235 games played.

Bryant, the NBA's fourth-leading scorer at 28 points per game, is likely to be a game-time decision tonight. Given his propensity for performing through pain — he has played with a fractured finger, bad back, bad ankle and sore groin this season — the Spurs are expecting Bryant to give it a go.

If Bryant does play, Hill — who has emerged as a full-time starter since the teams' last meeting — will draw the preliminary defensive assignment.

“If he plays, you know he's going to play well,” Hill said. “I'll just have to do my best, and hopefully we can get a nice team win.”

Trade not the answer? It's no secret the Spurs have struggled to gel after adding six new faces over the offseason. Coach Gregg Popovich said those struggles could affect what the team chooses to do — or not do — as the Feb. 18 trade deadline approaches.

“We've never had a group like this that didn't gel, as far as being consistent night after night,” Popovich said. “I think if we change this person for that person, we'd still have the same problem.”

An A for D: Popovich spent much of his time with the media before Saturday's 98-81 victory over the Clippers railing about his team's lack of attention to detail on defense this season.

Then, the Spurs went out and turned in perhaps their best defensive performance of the season, holding the Clippers to 10 points in the first quarter and 27 in the first half, and forcing them into 21 turnovers.

It was the fewest points the Spurs had allowed all season.

“We had better communication and leadership on the court than we have, and it was consistent throughout the game,” Popovich said. “That's what we're looking for. It will certainly be tested Monday.”

DPG21920
02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Spurs' Hill ready for Bryant to play (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Hill_ready_for_Bryant_to_play.html)

[B]Trade not the answer? It's no secret the Spurs have struggled to gel after adding six new faces over the offseason. Coach Gregg Popovich said those struggles could affect what the team chooses to do — or not do — as the Feb. 18 trade deadline approaches.

“We've never had a group like this that didn't gel, as far as being consistent night after night,” Popovich said. “I think if we change this person for that person, we'd still have the same problem.”

Interesting.

Manu-of-steel
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I also believe a trade is not the answer. The spurs are team-oriented, offensively and defensively. It would be hard for a newbie to learn everything, now that it's more than halfway through the season. We have all the pieces we need to compete, we just have to figure out how-that's Pop's task. I still believe we can turn things around.

raspsa
02-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Pop and the Spurs are going to keep hammering at the rock until :
a. the rock breaks
b. the hammer breaks
c. Pop and the Spurs break

SenorSpur
02-08-2010, 01:33 AM
It's already obvious to everyone that RJ is a terrible fit. If Pop truly wants this team to compete with the Fakers, he can't afford to wait until the offseason to make changes. Those changes must be made now. This group is under a timeline and they cannot afford to simply wait this out. His best bet is to deport RJ, Finley and Mason for 2-3 players that could make a better impact.

timvp
02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
“I think if we change this person for that person, we'd still have the same problem.”
So is there a reason not to trade?

MaNu4Tres
02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Jeff McDonald

Trade not the answer? It's no secret the Spurs have struggled to gel after adding six new faces over the offseason. Coach Gregg Popovich said those struggles could affect what the team chooses to do — or not do — as the Feb. 18 trade deadline approaches.

FWIW Pop has never said," Yes, we are looking for a trade" to the media in the 14 years he's been a coach for the Spurs.

McDonald can report that without even asking the question.

Same answer, different year from Pop.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 01:40 AM
This actually brings a good point, and that is that there's a certain possibility that Kobe might not be completely healthy come playoff time. That would be as good an opportunity the Spurs are going to get to take advantage this season with Duncan still performing well and perhaps looking into the trade market. Nothing is guaranteed, but it might be time to completely go all in and see if we get lucky.

Danny.Zhu
02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Come on. Make a damn trade.

completely deck
02-08-2010, 02:46 AM

Yeah, because it wouldn't be beneficial.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm kind of optimistic about a trade after reading those comments from Pop, but I'm not going to over-analyze meaningless comments where he was probably speaking generically..

FlAVaK
02-08-2010, 07:01 AM

Losing future cap flexibility.

dbestpro
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I believe we can succeed with the current team, as well. I am not so sure we can with the current method of coaching.

Dex
02-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm kind of with Pop on this one. I don't see how you fix the chemistry problem of having too many new faces by bringing in another new face.

Supergirl
02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree with Pop. Spurs have the pieces to be a great team, but they're trying to integrate a lot of new pieces (RJ, Dice, Blair) into their system. Bringing in someone new at this point would just slow down the process of integrating and getting used to playing with each other.

Blair and Dice are already playing so well, so much better in the past month, that you have to like where that's going. RJ has been the most inconsistent, but there's no reason he can't fit, it's just a matter of how long his learning curve is. I think he'll be OK.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I think the solution with RJ is a head to head meeting during the all star break between him and Pop. Pop need to put some pressure on him and tell him: "either you decide to give 100% on the court or we'll put you on the trading block".

And the chemistry thing is quite BS. All the chemistry of the world won't allow a player like Bonner to be a good defender or won't turn Blair, a 20 years old rookie, into a vet with tons of experience.

MaNu4Tres
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
And the chemistry thing is quite BS. All the chemistry of the world won't allow a player like Bonner to be a good defender or won't turn Blair, a 20 years old rookie, into a vet with tons of experience.

Couldn't have said it better.

Same could be said about Mason/Finley/Bogans. All the chemistry in the world won't make them better players. They are who they are.

elbamba
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Could we overrate Hill just a little bit more McDonald. I love Hill, he is going to be a great player and he can play solid defense. Having said that, there is no way in hell Hill can stop a healthy Kobe. Hill would need another 4 inches just to contest the jump shot.

team-work
02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Could we overrate Hill just a little bit more McDonald. I love Hill, he is going to be a great player and he can play solid defense. Having said that, there is no way in hell Hill can stop a healthy Kobe. Hill would need another 4 inches just to contest the jump shot.

Nobody can stop Kobe when he's healthy. Question is: has Kobe got past his prime after all the wear & tear. The ageing problem is not unique to the Spurs. The good news for Spurs fan is Hill has plenty of potential.

duhoh
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM

true, while chemistry IS important, it can only take you so far.

elbamba
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Nobody can stop Kobe when he's healthy. Question is: has Kobe got past his prime after all the wear & tear. The ageing problem is not unique to the Spurs. The good news for Spurs fan is Hill has plenty of potential.

I suppose my comment goes back to the fact that Pop loves to play his players out of position. Hill is a great defensive player but he does not need to waste his potential defending players that can post him up and shot baby turnaround jumpers over him.

objective
02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
re: chemistry

Don't Blair and Manu have good chemistry on the court?

Parker and Hill?

Duncan and everyone?

Is it just a team-defense oriented thing or an isolated RJ issue?

sananspursfan21
02-08-2010, 01:52 PM
yah, a trade probly isn't the answer.... but getting new players is always so much fun! idk though, if a trade happens for a big man, i wouldn't complain :/

team-work
02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I suppose my comment goes back to the fact that Pop loves to play his players out of position. Hill is a great defensive player but he does not need to waste his potential defending players that can post him up and shot baby turnaround jumpers over him.

I totally agree with you on that point, & thanks for pointing that out. Not even Bowen, with the same height as Kobe, could stop him. I'm not expecting more from Hill (except that Hill has more upside on his career due to his young age.) What I say has something to do with that "silver lining" thing, in view of the pessimism about this team which I also experience.