PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Lakers Previews

duncan228
02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Monday: Spurs (29-20) at Lakers (39-13) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Monday_Spurs_29-20_at_Lakers_39-13.html)

Time: 9:30 p.m.
TV: TNT
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - LAKERS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 2 Derek Fisher (6-1, 14th yr)
Parker one shy of career-high in assists with 14 vs. Clippers.

SG - 3 George Hill (6-2, 2nd yr) - 24 Kobe Bryant (6-6, 14th yr)
Bryant snapped string of 235 consecutive games played vs. Portland

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 37 Ron Artest (6-7, 11th yr)
Jefferson has shot better than 50 percent once since last Lakers game.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 16 Pau Gasol (7-0, 9th yr)
Gasol did not play in Spurs’ 105-85 victory at the AT&T Center.

C - 34 Antonio McDyess (6-10, 14th yr) - 17 Andrew Bynum (7-0, 5th yr)
If Bynum (hip) can’t play, Gasol would start here and Lamar Odom at PF.

SPURS RESERVES

45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
15 Matt Bonner, C/F, 6-10, 6th yr
10 Keith Bogans, G, 6-5, 7th yr
4 Michael Finley, G, 6-7, 15th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr

LAKERS RESERVES

12 Shannon Brown, G, 6-4, 4th yr
1 Jordan Farmar, G, 6-4, 5th yr
28 D.J. Mbenga, C, 7-0, 6th yr
7 Lamar Odom, F, 6-10, 11th yr
21 Josh Powell, F, 6-9, 5th yr
18 Sasha Vujacic, G, 6-7, 6th yr
4 Luke Walton, F, 6-8, 7th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Lakers: Phil Jackson

INJURIES

Spurs: None.
Lakers: Bryant (sprained left ankle/fractured right index finger) is questionable. Bynum (bruised right hip) is doubtful.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Malik Hairston, Ian Mahinmi.
Lakers: Gasol.

NOTABLE

Spurs’ 20-point victory in previous meeting was their most lopsided over the Lakers since Game 6 of the 2003 Western Conference finals. ... Gasol missed the Jan. 12 game with a strained hamstring. Spurs are 2-7 against L.A. when Gasol plays. ... Bryant’s status for today’s game is likely to be decided at game time. He missed the Lakers’ 99-82 win at Portland on Saturday with a left ankle sprain.

- Jeff McDonald

duncan228
02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
San Antonio (29-20) at Los Angeles (39-13) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010020813&prov=ap)
Game info: 10:30 pm EST Mon Feb 8, 2010
TV: TNT
By Jeff Mezydlo

Back spasms forced Kobe Bryant to miss the fourth quarter of a loss at San Antonio last month. It’s uncertain if his latest injury will keep him out entirely against the Spurs this time.

Bryant could miss his second straight game as the Los Angeles Lakers face the Spurs on Monday night at Staples Center.

Bothered by a sore left ankle he originally suffered at Philadelphia on Jan. 29, Bryant sat out Los Angeles’ 99-82 win at Portland on Saturday. It was the first game the 12-time All-Star missed since March 7, 2007, because of a suspension.

Averaging 28.0 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.6 assists, Bryant was to be evaluated Sunday. It will likely be up to Bryant to determine if he’s healthy enough to return as the Western Conference-leading Lakers (39-13) try for a fourth consecutive home victory over the Spurs.

“I would say he is day-to-day,” coach Phil Jackson told the Lakers’ official Web site. “We have an opportunity here with two games before the All-Star break and there is some time there if he does need to take a longer time, we’re trying to give him the liberty to do that.”

Bryant, who hasn’t missed back-to-back contests since the sitting out the first two games of the 2006-07 season with a knee injury, is averaging 28.8 points in his last nine home games against San Antonio.

He scored 16 before leaving for good with back spasms in the third quarter of the Lakers’ 105-85 loss at San Antonio on Jan. 12. The Spurs shot 57.3 percent overall and outscored Los Angeles’ 30-22 in the fourth quarter.

The Lakers, though, proved it can win without Bryant. Ron Artest had 21 points and Lamar Odom matched a career high with 22 rebounds against Portland. Los Angeles held the Trail Blazers to 43.7 percent shooting and outrebounded them 47-30

“We reacted well,” said forward Pau Gasol, who missed the January loss to San Antonio with a hamstring injury. “We played hard, we played well.”

The Lakers will try to avoid a second straight loss at Staples Center after having their eight-game home winning streak snapped in a 126-113 loss to Denver on Friday. Los Angeles, though, has held San Antonio to 92.4 points on 40.5 percent shooting while winning four of five at home over the Spurs.

The Spurs (29-20) won’t have to travel for this contest after beating the Los Angeles Clippers 98-81 on Saturday at Staples to improve to 2-1 in a season-high eight-game road trip. George Hill had 22 points and Tony Parker added 14 with 14 assists in his second game back from missing three with a sprained left ankle.

In his second season, Hill has emerged of late, averaging 17.1 points on 50.8 percent shooting while starting the last 10 games.

“George Hill’s just a fantastic basketball player,” coach Gregg Popovich said of the club’s 2008 first-round pick who averaged 5.7 points during his rookie season. “We’re really thrilled with his progress in his shooting and his approach to the game.”

Tim Duncan had 25 points with 13 rebounds, Parker added 22 and Hill 13 last month against the Lakers. Duncan, though, has a combined 31 points in his last two road games versus Los Angeles.

Team Stat Leaders

Kobe Bryant LAL 28.0

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.7
Pau Gasol LAL 10.8

Assists
Tony Parker SA 6.0
Kobe Bryant LAL 4.6

ffadicted
02-07-2010, 10:09 PM
:hungry: This is gonna be a huge game

TD 21
02-07-2010, 11:00 PM
PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 2 Derek Fisher (6-1, 14th yr)
Parker one shy of career-high in assists with 14 vs. Clippers.

SG - 3 George Hill (6-2, 2nd yr) - 24 Kobe Bryant (6-6, 14th yr)
Bryant snapped string of 235 consecutive games played vs. Portland

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 37 Ron Artest (6-7, 11th yr)
Jefferson has shot better than 50 percent once since last Lakers game.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 16 Pau Gasol (7-0, 9th yr)
Gasol did not play in Spurs’ 105-85 victory at the AT&T Center.

C - 34 Antonio McDyess (6-10, 14th yr) - 17 Andrew Bynum (7-0, 5th yr)
If Bynum (hip) can’t play, Gasol would start here and Lamar Odom at PF.

SPURS RESERVES

45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
15 Matt Bonner, C/F, 6-10, 6th yr
10 Keith Bogans, G, 6-5, 7th yr
4 Michael Finley, G, 6-7, 15th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr

I have no idea why McDonald continues to list the 6-9 McDyess as 6-10; F Bonner as a C/F; G/F Finley as a G.

NRHector
02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
:hungry: This is gonna be a huge gameit could be if Kobe plays

Danny.Zhu
02-08-2010, 06:25 AM
it could be if Kobe plays

Unless the whole Lakers team could play, it would be meaningless even if we win.

timtonymanu
02-08-2010, 06:35 AM
honestly im hoping for a healthy LA team to see where we stand with them.

Spurs should still come out swinging no matter whos out for LA.

romain.star
02-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Unless the whole Lakers team could play, it would be meaningless even if we win.

The western conference win column says it would not be meaningless

LoneStarState'sPride
02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
The western conference win column says it would not be meaningless

This.

ffadicted
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM

it could be if Kobe plays

Lakers are still solid without him, but I'm 99% sure he plays tonight

Dice
02-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Regardless of who plays I mostly want to hear the talk we heard on the defensive end during the Clips game.

Here's to more and more solid Dfence. :toast

spurs10
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Lakers are still solid without him, but I'm 99% sure he plays tonight
He'll play....all the better when we win.:flag:

alchemist
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
bynum/kobe will play (IMO)...Spurs need this W badly.

shelshor
02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Feb 8
San Antonio @ L.A. Lakers: Scott Foster; Brian Forte; Leon Wood

duncan228
02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Preview: Spurs vs. Lakers (http://purplegoldblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/preview-spurs-vs-lakers.html)
The Purple and Gold Blog

After snapping a 9-game losing streak in Portland Saturday night without their leader, the Lakers (39-13) will have to take on another challenge tonight in the form of the visiting San Antonio Spurs (29-20). Kobe Bryant is listed as day-to-day but is questionable for tonight's matchup. However, Phil Jackson has given him an option to play tonight, Wednesday against Utah, or both since the All-Star break will give him much-needed days of rest.

But the defending champs must not expect Kobe to be available tonight and have to stay focus at the task at hand. The Lakers lost their first meeting in San Antonio by 20 points 105-85 with Kobe sitting out the final quarter due to back spasms. Even with the win, the Spurs showed glimpses of their age and need for younger legs.

Andrew Bynum was hot early in that game and frequently backed Tim Duncan deep under the basket for easy hoops, but Duncan's experience eventually got the better of the young Bynum. But unlike Bryant, his availability for tonight is slim due to a sore left knee and a sore hip that he suffered when he fell on to the floor against the Blazers. That means Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom will have to tag-team again in the paint and on the boards.

The Spurs have lost 3 straight games at Staples Center and are a .500 team on the road this season so far with a 10-10 record. San Antonio is on their 4th of an 8-game road trip with a 2-1 record. Meanwhile, the Lakers will try to avoid their second loss at home, but still holds the best record playing in their own arena in the entire NBA at 24-4.

The keys for the Lakers tonight are: play aggressive-yet-smart defense, share the ball on offense, protect the ball, routinely go to the post, and make the Spurs' Big 3 play defense often. San Antonio continues to have major troubles with younger teams because their lack of speed and endurance are exploited each time they face one. So, it's a good idea for the Lakers to speed up tempo a little from time to time without sacrificing their efficiency on offense.

Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili aren't the same players just two seasons ago, but they rely on their experience and savvyness on both baskets to get the job done. The Lakers cannot allow this team to get on a roll and must also pay attention to sophomore George Hill. Hill stepped up for the injured Parker in a big way averaging 17 points and 51% shooting as a starter. He scored 13 against the Lakers last month.

As long as the Lakers establish their defense early and maintain their tenacity on both ends, they have an excellent chance at tying this season series tonight.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 01:24 PM
No bynum should help Duncan out tremendously.... TD needs to come out aggresive and not settle for so manu jumpers early.. if he can try and get gasol some fouls, that would be nice

Blackjack
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Jackson: Bynum Likely Out, Bryant in Doubt (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/02/08/jackson-bynum-likely-out-bryant-in-doubt/)
by Graydon Gordian

Via ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4898040&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines):

Kobe Bryant did not participate in the team’s shootaround and spent the time undergoing “diagnostic tests” on his sprained left ankle, according to Lakers coach Phil Jackson. Andrew Bynum, who suffered a bruised right hip that caused him to sit out the second half of Los Angeles’ win in Portland on Saturday, is probably not going to play, according to Jackson.

Given all the “if healthy” chatter we here about the Spurs and Celtics, I wonder why we don’t hear more about the Lakers injury woes. Bynum and Gasol have both missed time because of injuries, and Kobe’s metacarpals seem to be made of shattered glass. Now his ankle is giving him trouble.

None of their injuries appear season-threatening. And I’m not a fan of focusing on aspects of the game outside of the players’ control. But as a Spurs fan, my ability to sense the ominous has grown more finely tuned over the last few seasons. I can’t help but think that we’ll look back later this season and, with our hindsight, understand today’s report to be an instance of foreshadowing.

Slomo
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/gifs/FTL_anim.gif

Blackjack
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/gifs/FTL_anim.gif

Slomo, FTW. :lol

timvp
02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Ugh. I don't like the idea of playing the Lakers without Kobe and Bynum. A loss could kill any type of confidence the Spurs have.

But I guess it'd be better to find out now that this team absolutely sucks than after the trade deadline.

duncan228
02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Preview and Chat: The San Antonio Spurs (http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2010/02/08/preview-and-chat-the-san-antonio-spurs-3/)
Forum Blue and Gold

Records: Lakers 39-13 (1st in the West), Spurs 29-20 (6th in the West, 8.5 games behind the Lakers)
Offensive ratings: Lakers 109.6 (9th in the NBA), Spurs 110.0 (7th in the NBA)
Defensive ratings: Lakers 102.6 (4th in the NBA), Spurs 104.8 (10th in the NBA)
Projected Starting Lineups: Lakers: Derek Fisher, Kobe Bryant? (game time decision), Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol
Spurs: Tony Parker, George Hill, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Antonio McDyess

The Lakers Coming in: That screeching sound you hear are Lakers fans coming to quick halt as we learn that Kobe is undergoing further tests on his bum ankle and Bynum is likely out for tonight’s contest. Suddenly, the high that we all felt after the Portland game is gone and we’re now feeling a real concern for two of our best players. I still have Kobe listed as a starter, but I really don’t know if he’ll play. But since he’s still a game time decision, I think he may test out his bum wheel (if only because we will be even more short handed with Drew out) and give it a go tonight. He always loves to play the Spurs. Based off the history of both players, I’d be a bit more concerned about Bynum than Kobe. Any time the words Bynum, injury, and knee appear in the same sentence I start to think bad thoughts about his long term health and need to be talked down off the proverbial ledge. With the way that his past two seasons have gone, I don’t think any issue with a knee is minor for him even if it did come about from a routine knee to knee bump that happens pretty frequently. But with anything injury related to Kobe, I tend to shrug it off just because he consistently comes back early from any prolonged absence and is notorious for getting treatment 24/7 until he’s back into playing form. Maybe I’m giving Kobe too much credit here, but I think he’ll be back sooner rather than later.

The Spurs Coming in: The Spurs are a mystery that even the experts can’t crack. Before the season started, they were universally hailed as a team that could contend for a championship. They went against their past history of conscientious spending and jumped into luxury tax land for the first time in the Duncan era. So far, the results have not been what many expected. The problems they face are real and they’re in a dog fight for a top 4 seed and home court in the first round of the playoffs. And while it may not be time to hit the panic button for fans of the Spurs, the truly concerned button was probably hit a couple of weeks ago.

Not all is bad for the Spurs, but they are underperforming as a group. Part of that can be directly attributed to the uneven play of Parker and Ginobili. Parker has been slowed by a variety of injuries all season. Most recently he’s had to deal with an ankle sprain that kept him out of three games before returning to the last two. And while I give Tony credit for fighting through the pain and trying to help his team by being in the lineup, his stats are down across the board and it’s affected his team. As for Ginobili, he’s just had an uneven season and may just be showing his age and the results that come from a career of relentless attack on the basket. Manu’s points are down to 13.2 per game (the lowest average since his 2nd season) and his impact as a sixth man has diminished in a manner that has really hurt the Spurs as they can no longer rely on a “starter” coming off the bench to change the game the minute he steps on the floor.

The one player that has not seen any real decline is Tim Duncan. He’s once again having an All-NBA type season on both ends of the floor. This man still guarantees you stat lines of 20/10/3 with almost two blocks a game while only committing two fouls. Fantastic stuff from this future hall of famer. Every year people who follow this league think Duncan is going to stop being effective and every year those people are proven wrong. I’ll believe he’s falling off when I actually see it. One other player to really watch is the emerging George Hill. Hill has been playing quite well this season and is doing everything well (though no one thing excellently). Hill has shown he’s a capable shooter and his deceptive size makes him a good finisher in the lane. He’s also a good off-the-ball mover and is a guy that you can’t turn your head on as he’ll sneak into the paint for easy buckets if you end up watching the ball when one of the other Spurs is going to work.

Spurs Blogs: 48 Minutes of Hell (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/) is a great place to start. Also check out Pounding the Rock (http://www.poundingtherock.com/) for anything Spurs related.

Keys to game: The last time these two teams met, Duncan just killed us on the block. The Big Fundamental used his textbook game to hit a variety of hook shots, wing banks, and runners that reminded everyone why he’s one of the all time great big men. Tonight, the Lakers bigs (sans Bynum) are going to have to contest every shot and force him to take the shots that he doesn’t want to take. That’s easier said than done, but I think we might see the occasional double team to force Timmy to pass the ball out when he’s got deep post position and give him his jumpshot (especially from the top of the key) as a preferred result in any set where Duncan is the shooter. If Duncan beats us with 15-18 footers, so be it. The Spurs are another team that will test our P&R defense with Parker and Hill handling the ball and Duncan/Blair/Dyess/Bonner doing the screening. In these sets, Dyess and Bonner are strictly pick and pop players, Blair will almost always roll to the cup, and Duncan will do both. So, we need to know personnel and tendencies and play each player to their strengths. As for the guards, Parker and Hill both love to turn the corner and get into the paint so our goals should be to make them jumpshooters. Make these guys bury low-ish percentage jumpshots and live with the results. Tonight is another night where we’ll need sharp rotations as the two players that are in the P&R can be decoys as the Spurs look for either a shooter in the (Joel Meyers sponsored) short corner or the other big man sitting stationary on the baseline for an open 15 footer. The Spurs are a team that run a bunch of set plays but they are all a part of a larger system that all the players have confidence in. In order to stop them, you need to play disciplined D and contest shots (or you just need them to go on one of their patented dry spells – I’m hoping for a bit of both tonight).

On offense, the Lakers need more of what they showed in Portland. The Spurs are a team that excels at making teams play in isolation and if the Lakers start to play a lot of one on one, the Spurs will have one the “style” game even if the shots go in. The Lakers need to enter the ball into the post, cut, screen, and move the ball. As individuals, the Spurs are not strong defenders (save Duncan) but as a group they can still get the job done (though not as well as in years past). So, move the ball, get the defense scrambling, and then attack them in their weakspots. One place where the Spurs have always been vulnerable is in the inbetween parts of the court – FT line, elbows, shallow wings. So, I hope to see a lot of our elbow sets and mid-range post ups for our wings where they can turn and face, then attack with either crisp passing to cutters or get up easier shots when they get into the paint.

Where you can watch: 7:30 pm start here on the West on TNT (which means more like 7:45) or on ESPN Radio 710am.

alchemist
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.rotowire.com/Kobe-Bryant-googid124125-spnba.htm

apparently Kobe missed shootaround

duncan228
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Game to pay attention to: Spurs vs. Lakers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Game-to-pay-attention-to-Spurs-vs-Lakers?urn=nba,218381)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

Part of me — a big part of me — wants to point you toward Golden State and the Mavericks. Those teams, even before the classic 2007 playoff series, have gone at it for years. People may not have been paying attention — remember this nonsense (http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/Morrison.JPG)? It happened the same night as this brilliance (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200603230DAL.html) — but the Warriors and Mavericks are natural enemies. Dog and cat stuff, here, lovelies.

The problem with that is that the Warriors have about 1.75 players on their roster that recognize this enduring reality. Why? Because they're hurt. Too many injuries. Same reason (no Chris Paul) that I'm not staring straight at the Hornets and Magic.

Lakers and Spurs? This goes back a while, as well. The Lakers used to own the Spurs. Made great Spurs teams timid. And yet, the two most underachieving Lakers teams of our lifetime — those 1999 and 2003 mugs — lost to the Spurs in the playoffs in series that weren't even close.

Two TNT games, tonight, amongst the three. Not sure why. Don't care why. Comment away.

Los Angeles Lakers: 39-13, 93.4 possessions per game (eighth), 109.5 points per 100 possessions (ninth), 102.6 points allowed per 100 possessions (fourth).

San Antonio Spurs: 29-20, 91.4 possessions per game (22nd), 110 points scored per 100 possessions (seventh), 104.8 points allowed per 100 possessions (10th).

All statistics courtesy basketball-reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/).

Bukefal
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1781/spurswin.jpg

Go Spurs Go!!!

Lakers14Titles
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
In case you guys care, Kobe and Bynum both out tonight.

timvp
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
In case you guys care, Kobe and Bynum both out tonight.

:depressed

Must win now or will probably have to blow it up.

Lakers14Titles
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I am sure your boys will win, don't worry about it too much.