PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs still feeling Gasol deal

duncan228
02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Spurs still feeling Gasol deal (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_still_feeling_Gasol_deal.html)
Jeff McDonald

LOS ANGELES — Two years and one week ago, Kobe Bryant received a present he will never forget.

A 7-foot Spaniard with floppy hair and a point guard's passing skills arrived on his doorstep in Los Angeles, all but gift-wrapped with a card that read, “From Memphis, with love.”

Pau Gasol, it turned out, was just what Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers needed to return to the NBA's pinnacle.

“If we could have designed a player to make us a contender, it would have been him,” Bryant said. “It was an absolutely perfect fit.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was understandably less enthralled with the events of Feb. 1, 2008. At the time, he called what Memphis did — swapping an All-Star to the Lakers for a collection of what at the time were seen as spare parts — “beyond comprehension.”

Popovich's stance on the deal has since softened — “I was just trying to be a wise-ass,” he said recently — but its impact on the Western Conference power structure has not.

“It changed the whole landscape in the West,” Popovich said.

Nowhere has that seismic shift been felt more violently than in San Antonio. Months after his arrival, the Gasol-infused Lakers crushed the Spurs' hopes of a championship repeat with a five-game shellacking in the 2008 Western Conference finals.

The Lakers have been the West's top dog ever since, last season winning their first NBA championship since Shaquille O'Neal, their last All-Star big man, skipped town.

As the Spurs return to Staples Center tonight, they are still coming to grips with how to contend with Gasol at the center of a potent Lakers lineup.

Including the 2008 playoff series, the Spurs are 3-7 against L.A. since Gasol showed up, though that record could be tested tonight if Bryant (ankle) and big man Andrew Bynum (hip) can't play.

“It was a huge change for them,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said. “They didn't give up much, and they got an All-Star back. It changed them from a very good team into a great team.”

The Gasol trade also sparked a new arms race in the West. The Spurs' acquisition of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess has its roots there, as did Phoenix's failed dalliance with O'Neal.

Memphis general manager Chris Wallace, once vilified for the deal, has since been vindicated. One of the pieces he acquired — Gasol's younger brother Marc — looks like an All-Star in the making. Another player Memphis signed with salary-cap room created by the trade — Zach Randolph — already is one.

Still, the biggest beneficiary of the deal was undoubtedly the Lakers, who only months before were on the verge of collapse.

After two first-round playoff exits — preceded by a 2004-05 season in which L.A. missed the postseason altogether — Bryant made rumblings in the summer of 2007 about wanting to be traded.

Enter Gasol. Plugged into the middle of Jackson's triangle offense, the Lakers' new forward soothed all hard feelings. In 143 games since heading to Hollywood, Gasol is averaging 18.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists.

This season, nagging hamstring issues have underscored Gasol's importance. Los Angeles is 10-6 without Gasol in the lineup, 29-7 with him.

More proof came Jan. 12 at the AT&T Center. With the big Spaniard sidelined again, the Spurs earned their most lopsided victory over the Lakers in six seasons, 105-85.

Popovich frames Gasol's impact in Los Angeles as a simple math problem.

“He happens to be the most skilled big man on the planet,” Popovich said. “When you add that to the best player on the planet (Bryant), that equation changed it for everybody.”

No team felt this more than the Spurs, except maybe the Lakers.

“He made us a contender,” Bryant said. “That wasthe piece we needed to get. We've been off and running ever since.”

DesignatedT
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
wow. this just wont stop.

Blackjack
02-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Months after his arrival, the Gasol-infused Lakers crushed the Spurs' hopes of a championship repeat with a five-game shellacking in the 2008 Western Conference finals.

It's amazing the further we get away from that series just how skewed the perception becomes.

Maybe it's nothing more than semantics, but it's just always baffled me how the Spurs' losses seem to all find their way into a category reserved for '01.

TD 21
02-07-2010, 11:37 PM
“He happens to be the most skilled big man on the planet,” Popovich said. “When you add that to the best player on the planet (Bryant), that equation changed it for everybody.”

No team felt this more than the Spurs, except maybe the Lakers.

What the fuck is wrong with Pop? It pisses me off when he says ridiculous things like this, so I can only imagine what Duncan thinks if he ever hears or reads his comments.

I think most would concede that Duncan is no longer the best player on the planet (though he's still closer than most realize to that), but neither is Bryant and when you have a player of Duncan's caliber, you shouldn't admit to anyone being head and shoulders better and now comes the slobbering over Gasol recently. If Gasol is the "most skilled big man on the planet", then what is Duncan to Pop? What an asshole, seriously. Worst of all is it's not even true, not by a long shot.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
The Gasol trade is used as a crutch way too often in regards to the Spurs' inability to tweak the team when it was necessary IMO..

It was a great deal for the Lakers, but if the Spurs actually made the right moves and got younger following the 2007 title, we would have beaten them in the WCF..the Spurs have been going downhill since the FO couldn't make the right moves following our last title, and that + the natural decline with age of the big 3 is the reason the Spurs have passed the West throne to the Lakers..

It's just annoying that it seems like so many people involved with the Spurs keep mentioning the Gasol trade as the reason for the demise of the Spurs..it's a bullshit excuse..in case they haven't noticed, Denver has clearly surpassed us as well, and the other West teams are on the verge of permanently surpassing the Spurs too unless we make another move..

daslicer
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
What the fuck is wrong with Pop? It pisses me off when he says ridiculous things like this, so I can only imagine what Duncan thinks if he ever hears or reads his comments.

I think most would concede that Duncan is no longer the best player on the planet (though he's still closer than most realize to that), but neither is Bryant and when you have a player of Duncan's caliber, you shouldn't admit to anyone being head and shoulders better and now comes the slobbering over Gasol recently. If Gasol is the "most skilled big man on the planet", then what is Duncan to Pop? What an asshole, seriously. Worst of all is it's not even true, not by a long shot.

One thing I hate about Pop besides being stubborn is that he gives way too much respect to his opponents by overaggerating how great they are. All the other great coaches in NBA history tended to be assholes when it came to that department Riley,Phill Jackson,Red,etc except Pop.

Big P
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Let It Go...holy shit how many times does this need to be rehashed?

TD 21
The Gasol trade is used as a crutch for the Spurs' inability to tweak the team way too often IMO..

It was a great deal for the Lakers, but if the Spurs actually made the right moves and got younger following the 2007 title, we would have beaten them in the WCF..the Spurs have been going downhill since the FO couldn't make the right moves following our last title, and that + the natural decline with age of the big 3 is the reason the Spurs have passed the West throne to the Lakers..

It's just annoying that it seems like so many people involved with the Spurs keep mentioning the Gasol trade as the reason for the demise of the Spurs..it's a bullshit excuse..in case they haven't noticed, Denver has clearly surpassed us as well..

Excellent point. I'm sick and tired of many, including Pop, completely overrating Gasol. Very good player, top fifteen guy, not one of the elite of the elite, not a legit go-to guy, soft as tissue and often fades in big moments/games. He's like the poor man's version of prime Garnett and isn't, nor has he ever been, in Duncan's class. I am actually disgusted at Pop for that comment, on top of his usual Bryant slobbering.

Pop is so overboard with his praise of this team, why did he and Buford talk Holt into paying the tax anyway if he clearly doesn't believe his team can challenge, much less beat, the Lakers?

Well said, daslicer.

newacc
Really surprised Pop would say that seeing as how Duncan was the previous title holder. Maybe Pop is starting to lose it.

slick'81
02-07-2010, 11:51 PM
yeah it would seem la got the best big in the league next to kobe there unbeatable and the spurs should just give up :rolleyes

Biggems
02-08-2010, 12:19 AM
the spurs have only themselves to blame...........I wonder if they still feel that Marcus Williams was the right pick, instead of Marc Gasol.

Snaq O'Meal
02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Excellent point. I'm sick and tired of many, including Pop, completely overrating Gasol. Very good player, top fifteen guy, not one of the elite of the elite, not a legit go-to guy, soft as tissue and often fades in big moments/games. He's like the poor man's version of prime Garnett and isn't, nor has he ever been, in Duncan's class. I am actually disgusted at Pop for that comment, on top of his usual Bryant slobbering.

Pop is so overboard with his praise of this team, why did he and Buford talk Holt into paying the tax anyway if he clearly doesn't believe his team can challenge, much less beat, the Lakers?

Well said, daslicer.

After the way Pop rated the team's chances to win following the Jefferson trade, perhaps this is his way of pre-empting his own firing.

spurs10
02-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Maybe Pop wants Tim to tell him after the big upset over the Lakers tonight, "best big man on the planet,eh?"

TD 21
02-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Maybe Pop wants Tim to tell him after the big upset over the Lakers tonight, "best big man on the planet,eh?"

Well to be fair, he didn't say "best big man", he said "most skilled big man", though I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he calls Gasol the former too. Either way, they're both clear cut insults to Duncan, who by any measure still ranks as both. It's bad enough when the media overlooks him over the latest flavor of the month, but it's even worse when his own coach does it. This guy has a front row seat for every game to witness just how great Duncan is, yet it's as if he either doesn't fully appreciate him or has just taken him for granted from being around him for so long.

I used to think that way back in the '08 Western Conference Finals, like it was just a motivational ploy to get Duncan to step his game up. But clearly, it's not that because I'm not sure how much more Duncan can step his game up from what he's given this season, particularly with him trying to pace himself.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2010, 01:17 AM
On the other hand, if Pop didn't sit Bowen in the third quarter of game one of the 2008 WCF . . .

SenorSpur
02-08-2010, 01:28 AM
As I stated in another thread related to Bruce Bowen, all of this just shows how much of a dick Pop really is. It wasn't enough that he backhanded Bowen in the media, now he's indirectly taken a shot at the best PF in NBA history (Duncan) by slobbering all over Gasol.

It's all just mindless prattle and I don't know whether or not he believes it. I don't know what's up with him, but perhaps he'd be better served by keeping his trap shut.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Pop needs to let go of a few things. Push the reset button. Things like "playing small ball is the only way to beat Dallas", "I have no chance against Phil Jackson", "Nobody can beat the Lakers with Gasol", etc.

MI21
02-08-2010, 01:31 AM
On the other hand, if Pop didn't sit Bowen in the third quarter of game one of the 2008 WCF . . .

Oh man, don't even go there. One of the single worst coaching moves I've seen in a long time.

I don't think the Spurs beat Boston in the finals anyway, but it would have been nice to win another series against LA. Winning game 1 would have given the Spurs a big advantage.

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 02:18 AM

Or if he at least called a timeout to get him back in after seeing Udoka/Ginobili get burned over and over every possession after... :pctoss

Pop's a great coach overall, but damn he can be a George Karl-esque dumbass at times.

Sean Cagney
02-08-2010, 02:30 AM
the spurs have only themselves to blame...........I wonder if they still feel that Marcus Williams was the right pick, instead of Marc Gasol.

Everyone makes those mistakes, how about the Parker pick or the Gino pick! THE BLAIR OR HILL PICK when others did not pick them there! Some bytch too much about a misses pick here and there, but never mention what they did pick nor give them props for it.

Ocotillo
02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Regarding the Gasol trade, it's time to move on. There is nothting that can be done about it. Focus on what you can control and that is yourself and your team.

As far as Pop's Gasol love, it's just standard pablum. Would you rather Pop say something like "Gasol is a candy-ass and Timmy is gonna school him tonight" Even if he believed that, there is no point in giving the opponent bulletin board material.

Doctor J
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Regarding the Gasol trade, it's time to move on. There is nothting that can be done about it. Focus on what you can control and that is yourself and your team.

As far as Pop's Gasol love, it's just standard pablum. Would you rather Pop say something like "Gasol is a candy-ass and Timmy is gonna school him tonight" Even if he believed that, there is no point in giving the opponent bulletin board material.

Ditto! :toast

TheChillFactor
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
i'm so tired of hearing the spurs whine about the trade. turn the freaking page.

Ginobili2Duncan
02-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Bowen picked up his 4th foul with over 6 min remaining in the 3rd quarter.

Killakobe81
02-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Well said, daslicer.

Amen. My Spur brothers Gasol is Top 15 not top 10 ...and Kobe is now top 5 not #1 (all Lebron needs is a title and the crown is his for the next 5)
The Lakers are very good but far from unbeatable I would STILL take an aging duncan over Pau ...

SpurNation
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't see Pop... in this article... being bitter about the Gasol trade. It is what it is. Gasol to the Lakers made them a championship team as even Kobe admitted as well.

Whether Pop says it or somebody else...the Lakers got a LOT better when Gasol went to LA.

The Spurs have been declining since after '07.

If anything...this article makes no sense being it only rehashed a fact that was already known. I wonder what McDonald was thinking or wanting to achieve when writing it?

timvp
02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Bowen picked up his 4th foul with over 6 min remaining in the 3rd quarter.

No he didn't. That was his third foul.

And yeah, taking Bowen out right there was Pop's worst coaching move of his career.

TD 21
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Amen. My Spur brothers Gasol is Top 15 not top 10 ...and Kobe is now top 5 not #1 (all Lebron needs is a title and the crown is his for the next 5)
The Lakers are very good but far from unbeatable I would STILL take an aging duncan over Pau ...

What's this, a Lakers fan who isn't an arrogant or biased and keeps the Lakers in perspective? I never thought I'd see the day. Then again, truthfully, Anallon is of the same ilk.

As for James, I was of that opinion last year, but even I can't deny anymore that he stands alone in the best player rankings. This is '00 O'Neal, '03 Duncan type stuff (I know many will say it's more impressive because he's a flashy, freakishly athletic perimeter player). Bryant, on the other hand, great as he's been/is, I'm not sure he was ever the best player in the game and if he was, it was for a year tops. I agree with Hollinger on that one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Why the hell is Pop or anyone in the org still whining about that deal?

Shut up and play (or in this case, coach).

Pop is becoming a straight up hyperdefensive little bitch these days.

SenorSpur
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Why the hell is Pop or anyone in the org still whining about that deal?

Shut up and play (or in this case, coach).

Pop is becoming a straight up hyperdefensive little bitch these days.

As no-nosense of a guy as Pop is, you would think Pop would be the last coach doing this. I mean he always preaches the themes of "no excuses" to his players. And here he is going against his own credo.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Yep. First he's trashing Bowen in defense of his sucky small ball defensive acumen (or lack thereof), now this.

It's getting old, just like seeing us miss out on deep playoff runs these days in large part due to his various mancrushes on Finley, Bonehead, smallball, and over the hill veterans.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I just don't like how it seems like he fears the Lakers..

The Nuggets for example..these guys don't give the Lakers any credit..they talked trash even after they lost the series last year..they stomped them twice this year already, and Billups pretty much gave them no respect in the post-game interview..

That's a mentality that I would like the Spurs to have, even though it goes against some of the principles here..

TD 21
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I just don't like how it seems like he fears the Lakers..

The Nuggets for example..these guys don't give the Lakers any credit..they talked trash even after they lost the series last year..they stomped them twice this year already, and Billups pretty much gave them no respect in the post-game interview..

That's a mentality that I would like the Spurs to have, even though it goes against some of the principles here..

I agree. The thing is though, the Nuggets haven't won a damn thing (I know Billups has, but collectively with that core group they haven't), yet they have all this bravado and confidence, which is really arrogance, when it comes to their belief that they're better than the Lakers. The Spurs act like they hope they can play a perfect game just so they can have a chance in the end. That is a losing, defeatist mentality and it's brought on by the coach, who acts like the Lakers are a combination of the '86 Celtics and the '96 Bulls.

The Spurs need to play fearlessly and go at these guys. Match-up wise, we know the Spurs don't match-up great with the Lakers front line, but talent wise, there's no reason that this Spurs team can't beat the Lakers. At least that should be their mindset and while I can't say it isn't for certain, I don't get the sense that it is.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2010, 08:10 PM
It's always been like that though, I guess Pop just has a lot of respect for the Lakers..

Phil Jackson trashes the Spurs almost every chance he gets..

Allanon
02-08-2010, 08:12 PM
To be honest, I wish the Lakers had a couple fewer points but Marc Gasol's much better defense and toughness right now over Pau.

I'd love to get a Marc for Pau deal; straight up with salary dumping to make the deal work.

murpjf88
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Pop needs to stop living in the past. Get the hell over it and move on.